Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? (19561 Views)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Mrtesso: 9:58am On Sep 12, 2016
Vorpal:
I just hope they don't phase out manual gears, cause that day, i will totally lose interest in driving henceforth.

Am still yet to get comfortable with automatic, it feels so odd and banal.

Take for example, i am moving at gear 3, so i want to overtake a long vehicle on time, i will proceed with the 3, then switch to gear 4 for a short time , then switch back to 3 and stomp on the gas pedal enough that jolts the speed up then when the gear has revved up enough put it back to 4, voilà!

How odd will it be pulling that trick on an automatic, if possible sef?

There isn't much oddity.

For cars with O/D(over drive) function, that's taken care of. For some without, ure allowed to downshift to [D3] to enable that function...or so I think.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 12, 2016
ExpressBooking:
Manual transmission rocks my boat. It is preferred by very professional drivers as it gives you total control,maneuverability and stunts you need at any given time. That's only if you know how to get what you need out of it.

Well said bro. If am to drive a " NFS Car" ie a Sports Car then I will gladly go for a manual shift because its best for my stunts. But if it's a jeep/family things then an automatic will be my best bet, especially when a woman/children is involved... grin grin grin grin
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Yeah, medicated lenses. grin Don't be scared smiley

DAMN You fine, yummy yummy...gurl is you married?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 12, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

DAMN You fine, yummy yummy...gurl is you married?

Lol... thank you. No, I'm not. smiley

But let's not derail the thread. grin
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by koxi: 10:12am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Which is...? smiley

Do you stay around edo/delta? wink
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Lol... thank you. No, I'm not. smiley

But let's not derail the thread. grin

I would derail a continent for you. How you doing sweetness? hope you is having a great holiday? What say we crash, burn and decimate this holiday plans together?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by peterbello(m): 10:14am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

D1 means the car won't exceed gear one. So what "burst of speed" are you talking about? undecided

Also, with automatic, it's never a good idea to change the gear while it's in motion.
Madam, you are not too wrong neither are you right about what you said.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Mrtesso: 10:16am On Sep 12, 2016
koxi:

I guess there's just one way to find out...if u stay around edo/delta I'd prefer to show u practically

Awwww, I'm neither in Edo nor Delta. However I'm eager to learn. So if ure in Edo state, just shoot a practical video clip on a safe track and share it right here!

Somewhere quiet off Sapele road...so we can clearly hear what goes on with ur engine.

Remember to fasten ur seatbelts.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 12, 2016
lol.
I know this is a thread where manual drivers would come massage their egos.
Which automatic makes you not to be in control? Who is now in control, amadioha? grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by koxi: 10:22am On Sep 12, 2016
Mrtesso:

Awwww, I'm neither in Edo nor Delta. However I'm eager to learn. So if ure in Edo state, just shoot a practical video clip on a safe track and share it right here!

Somewhere quiet off Sapele road...so we can clearly hear what goes on with ur engine.

Remember to fasten ur seatbelts.

Lol...your bad.
I'm neither Jason Statham, nor Vin Diesel to shoot a racing video for nairaland.
If you wan watch film abeg watch fast&furious 7
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by b5ive(m): 10:25am On Sep 12, 2016
I swear down, manual rocks my world. I love being in charge, so therefor i always go with my manual mazda 323. I drove d auto toyota muscle 4 a week and believe me i really got to undastand that a true proffessional would always prefer manual transittion especially if u are based in Abuja.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by alikipo: 10:25am On Sep 12, 2016
peterbello:

it's very possible on the automatic. That's what your D2 gear position is for.

Changing from D1 to D2 or D2 to D1 has already change the car from automatic to manuel.lol

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by peterbello(m): 10:28am On Sep 12, 2016
Lemme not lie. The time i miss the automatic the most is when she's wearing a skimpy dress beside me and I have to pause what my right hand is doing to her in order to change gear. wink
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by simeonkoolluck(m): 10:31am On Sep 12, 2016
Manual is still on point.. . Depends on your choice ... read this https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news/2805/manual-vs-automatic/
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by robinsonmfon(m): 10:33am On Sep 12, 2016
koxi:

Lol...your bad.
I'm neither Jason Statham, nor Vin Diesel to shoot a racing video for nairaland.
grin
koxi:

Lol...your bad.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Mrtesso: 10:45am On Sep 12, 2016
koxi:

Lol...your bad.

Lol!!
Aiit...permit me to copy some monickers to enlighten us further.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by gentlegenius(m): 10:47am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Yeah, medicated lenses. grin Don't be scared smiley
How can he claim to be scared by your eyes and pretend not to notice your flamboyant beauty?
If that pix is really yours, then I must bow to God for covering you with such beauty.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 12, 2016
gentlegenius:

How can he claim to be scared by your eyes and pretend not to notice your flamboyant beauty?
If that pix is really yours, then I must bow to God for covering you with such beauty.

Wow... I'm short of words.

Thank you, I'm flattered. smiley
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 12, 2016
Mrtesso:

Lol!!
Aiit...permit me to copy some monickers to enlighten us further.

Feel free.

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 12, 2016
This belongs in the joke section, I haven't laughed so hard in years.

And to think that I carry the same passport with these characters angry
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by iyisco2001(m): 11:06am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Which is exactly what I hate! It's too stressful.

Some years back, my dad had a problem with his left knee. He was advised (by doctors), and warned (by his wife) to stop using his manual car, and use the auto instead. The guy no hear word.

I guess there's just something about it that people love.
The control is superb, take off, overtaking and all those stunt. My old man too cherish his Toyota starlet and still rocking it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 11:17am On Sep 12, 2016
EgunMogaji:
This belongs in the joke section.

I haven't laughed so hard in years.

And to think that I carry the same passport with mist of these characters angry

We're sorry sad
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Thank you smiley
beautiful lips
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by FxHouse: 11:26am On Sep 12, 2016
Vorpal:
I just hope they don't phase out manual gears, cause that day, i will totally lose interest in driving henceforth.

Am still yet to get comfortable with automatic, it feels so odd and banal.

Take for example, i am moving at gear 3, so i want to overtake a long vehicle on time, i will proceed with the 3, then switch to gear 4 for a short time , then switch back to 3 and stomp on the gas pedal enough that jolts the speed up then when the gear has revved up enough put it back to 4, voilà!

How odd will it be pulling that trick on an automatic, if possible sef?

Some automatic cars have the same feature...try driving an automatic car with tiptronic gear and you would see yourself driving an "automatic-manual." This is because it has the normal PRND and then S gear level, on the S, you can choose to remain on a particular gear level for as long as you want to and then switch to a higher level or a lower level when you feel the need to. You could actually do this same thing you talked about, like move from a lower gear to a higher gear and back to a lower gear to gather momentum and switch to a higher gear almost immediately. Ford escape 2014 has that button on the side of the stick, and I'm sure alot of recent automatic cars have it too. Seen it on a highlander 2009, a KIA RIO 2015. Look out for the last selection of most recent automatic cars, you would find something like - and + signs. They put you in charge and allow you take full control of driving, just like manual cars. Why get just one, when you can get both in automatic car. You could switch between manual and automatic. Try reading about Tiptronic gears too, they were mostly common in german cars, though the features are coming up more in newer models of all brands of cars.

CC ladymercedes

Feel free to ask questions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 11:33am On Sep 12, 2016
FxHouse:

Some automatic cars have the same feature...try driving an automatic car with tiptronic gear and you would see yourself driving an "automatic-manual." This is because it has the normal PRND and then S gear level, on the S, you can choose to remain on a particular gear level for as long as you want to and then switch to a higher level or a lower level when you feel the need to. You could actually do this same thing you talked about, like move from a lower gear to a higher gear and back to a lower gear to gather momentum and switch to a higher gear almost immediately. Ford escape 2014 has that button on the side of the stick, and I'm sure alot of recent automatic cars have it too. Seen it on a highlander 2009, a KIA RIO 2015. Look out for the last selection of most recent automatic cars, you would find something like - and + signs. They put you in charge and allow you take full control of driving, just like manual cars. Why get just one, when you can get both in automatic car. You could switch between manual and automatic. Try reading about Tiptronic gears too, they were mostly common in german cars, though the features are coming up more in newer models of all brands of cars.

CC ladymercedes

Feel free to ask questions.

The S signifies Sports Mode, right?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Mrtesso: 11:45am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Feel free.
We're still waiting for Gazzuzz to grace us with his presence.

Oui-Oui...they gonna show up soon.

Cc: leuelliot, Gazzuzz
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Shiitposter: 11:47am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:
I, for one, won't drive a manual.

First of all, driving in Lagos traffic can be a b*tch! I can't imagine driving a manual car... with the clutching, and braking, and shifting of gear. Life's too short for dislocated shoulders and muscle pulls.

Secondly, I don't know when to shift. Gear one, after 5 seconds, I move to two, and I stay there till the car starts making weird noises, then I shift to three... in that manner.

After driving a car with Automatic transmission, nothing would make me drive manual.

Which would you rather drive, and why? A car with a manual transmission, or one with automatic transmission?

OP, depends on the car. Used to be that manual meant extra gears and much more control over where your revs were at any given moment, but not so much anymore. Autos usually feature more gears now and many manufaturers use excellent shift logic to keep the engine where you want it, especially when combined with selectable drive modes on certain cars. Factor in advancements like dual-clutch automatics and autos make a good case against manuals.So anymore autos will tend to be faster and not suffer from the drawbacks they used to like long shift times, lack of overlap in the rev range and less gears.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by dotedote: 11:47am On Sep 12, 2016
On 3 different occasions had I left Lagos for Cotonou to buy a car with automatic transmission for myself but ended up buying a manual transmission. I discovered after the 3rd time that my love for Stick Shift was not negotiable. I still say it that I'd buy an auto-gear as a 2nd or 3rd car & definitely not as my everyday ride. No Way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by FxHouse: 11:52am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

The S signifies Sports Mode, right?

Yes, that's for the Ford Escape, and gear levels could be switched higher or lower with the push of a - and + button beside the gear lever. If you are conversant with older version of automatic cars, like the toyota camry, 2000, you would find that it has its selection as P R N D 2 L... But 2 and L which are lower gears have been replaced in newer version of automatic cars with a position where you could take control of the gear level you want, though most peeps either do not know the function or choose to ignore.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by aloziedaya(m): 11:54am On Sep 12, 2016
THERE IS NO COMPARISON. MANUAL IS THE BEST.

DRIVING AUTOMATIC MAKES YOY DOSE OFF EASILY WHILE MANUAL ENGAGES THE BODY SYSTEM.

MANUAL GIVES YOU TOTAL CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE.

AND IT'S EASIER TO MAINTAIN.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by nams77: 12:01pm On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Which is exactly what I hate! It's too stressful.

Some years back, my dad had a problem with his left knee. He was advised (by doctors), and warned (by his wife) to stop using his manual car, and use the auto instead. The guy no hear word.

I guess there's just something about it that people love.

Yes you are correct. There's something about driving a shift stick on the high. Its so good especially if it's a merc. The bslance, the control, the raw power under your control is so heavenly. I remember driving along ughelli warri express way. Mehn! It was sheer pleasure. The intimate thrill will be driving on a super cool highway with the ac on and listening to coldplay singing 'fix you' or 'clocks'...of course it gonna be a manual and a merc.
I once drove an automatic tacoma(v6 or 8?) Didn't enjoy the ride one bit. Maybe it was the power of the car. It was so jumpy. Was almost climbing the breakers to the other lane
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 12, 2016
nams77:

Yes you are correct. There's something about driving a shift stick on the high. Its so good especially if it's a merc. The bslance, the control, the raw power under your control is so heavenly. I remember driving along ughelli warri express way. Mehn! It was sheer pleasure. The intimate thrill will be driving on a super cool highway with the ac on and listening to coldplay singing 'fix you' or 'clocks'...of course it gonna be a manual and a merc.
I once drove an automatic tacoma(v6 or 8?) Didn't enjoy the ride one bit. Maybe it was the power of the car. It was so jumpy. Was almost climbing the breakers to the other lane

The gear of Mercedes-Benz is on another level. Very smooth.

My dad once had a Mercedes-Benz E-class W124, popularly known as the V-Boot. I drove it once. I was 15 then, and everything looked oversized.

But despite the size, the steering wheel, the clutch, the gear (5-speed manual) were very easy to manipulate.

Now, that's one manual car I'd consider driving again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Video Of A Dad Teaching His 3year Old Daughter How To Drive Wow / Nigeria Hosts Worldwide Car Racing Organisation’s Regional Congress / Ondo Auto Rally In Pictures And Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.