Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise (18644 Views)

Why Can't PMB Fulfil Even A Single Promise; NYSC Batch B Stream2 Now March / The State Of Nasarawa State Corpers Lodge (Photos) / Wike Increases Rivers Corpers' Allowance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 8:48am On Sep 12, 2016
It all seems like yesterday when the Batch B corpers were registering for the mandatory National Youth Service Corps(NYSC). Many of us were happy to choose the 3rd richest state in Nigeria (RIVERS STATE) because we quickly want to explore the opportunities that life has for us. After our Orientation camp, we discovered that all corpers were compulsorily made to teach in schools except Doctors and Lawyers who were called upon to work with government institutions. Many Corpers that were posted to the city of port harcourt to work with the state government were neither paid nor given accommodation. Majority of us were made to rent "face me I face you" apartments, at a cost of nothing less than 70,000 naira per year, self contain begins from 160,000 naira before you will be told to pay for drink fee, agency fees, and some other ancillary financial commitments that will make you scream WHAT THE HELL! ,and the likes
High cost of Transportation. A lot of us spend nothing less than 200 naira per day to get to our place of primary assignment (PPA). Some living far spend almost 500 naira per day for 5 times a week. (still in this 19,800 naira paid by the Federal Govt. )
Utility bills like NEPA, water and the like still need to be paid for. And with the increment on electricity tarrif, some of us are paying as high as 5000naira per month.
The corpers, most especially the ones living in port harcourt city "have been living through their noses". The most annoying part is that when you tell a person outside Rivers state that you are serving in Port Harcourt , what you will hear are praises like "baba ooo", "big boy/girl", "oil money corper" and you are like what are you saying.

STATE GOVT ALLAWEE PROMISE
It was a thing of joy for every Corper serving in Rivers state when Governor Wike promised to increase the state allowance to 10,000 and 15,000 Naira per month for people serving in port harcourt city and rural areas respectively. This publication was made on various newspapers. Below are links to the promise http://dailypost.ng/2016/03/23/wike-says-rivers-government-will-immortalise-slain-corper-increases-monthly-allowance/
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/rivers-approves-100-per-cent-increase-corps-members-allowance/
The least of us was already calculating 120,000 Naira at the end of the service year for a thank you package. However, we have realised that ever since the PUBLIC PROMISE was made, we have not heard anything about it.

WHY WE DESERVE THE STATE ALLAWEE
It should be noted that the Corpers have taken part in a lot of activities in the growth of the State of which a few are;
1. The organisation of the election that brought the current government in office. (even though a corper was killed as a result of the election violence and some injured) we were still able to conduct the election.
2. We engage in charity campaign. Different CDS Groups have been to motherless babies home to encourage and also provide relief materials for the orphans. (out of our personal contributions)
3. We create awareness campaign. We go to villages and schools to educate the people on deadly diseases and how to prevent them.
4. We also help in taking away criminals. I will like to appreciate the lawyers serving in Rivers State Ministry of Justice. No body outside will ever believe that they were paid nothing with the way they do their work diligently. Am sure their law school fees must have cost them a fortune.
5. We also help in preaching the gospel of christ in the rural areas of Rivers state through various means of evangelism. The Jesus Corpers have done a super great job in preaching christ in every local government and villages of Rivers state through "Rural Rugged"
6. The doctors have been doing a great deal of work in saving the lives of Rivers state people. We work day and night to save lives.
7. Life in Rivers state is too expensive. And most of us live on loan pending the 19,800 federal government allowance. Imagine using 19,800 to pay transport yourself to your ppa, pay your utility bills, feeding (where the cheapest meal is N250), and other out of pocket expenses we incur.
In conclusion, we use this opportunity to remind our Amiable Governor not to forget the promise he made to us after the death of Late Samuel Okonta (of blessed memories) during the rerun election http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/rivers-re-run-nysc-confirms-killing-corps-member/.
Our hopes were further allayed when we discovered that the Batch A corpers that passed out in April 2016 have not been paid their state allowance after 5 months. NOW WE BATCH B CORPERS HAVE LESS THAN 28 DAYS TO GO AND NOTHING HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT OUR STATE ALLOWANCE. We want the Governor to use His good office to pay us our allowance as promised. As the saying goes "every labourer after work must get paid"

#WikeFulfilAllaweePromise

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by chocolateme(f): 8:50am On Sep 12, 2016
It is really very disheartening because it goes a long way to portray that the government of a nation can hardly take care of its own.
It means they are not capable of taking care of the younger generation since they can owe the pensioners (our old papas and mamas), civil and public servants. (Our parents in active services) and now the Corpers (future leaders and youths of our generation)
Tell me, how do we go forward? Anyway, God will always take care of his own.

FTC
CHOCOLATE CREAM

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 8:54am On Sep 12, 2016
chocolateme:
Hmm

My sister na big hmmmm

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by rolandy22: 9:00am On Sep 12, 2016
This is really bad... I remember serving there deligently with all my heart and still yet i got nothing. This is bad for a country.... AND now He made them promise still cant fulfil it.. Bad

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 9:03am On Sep 12, 2016
In this economic recession. That 19,800 cannot feed a child for a month not to talk of adults.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by opefid(m): 9:03am On Sep 12, 2016
D spirit of those whose untimely death provoked this promise is watching Wike in UHD.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by anibi9674: 9:04am On Sep 12, 2016
my state no get money. is rivers state the only state that is not paying state allowance? abeg leave my governor alone, he is thinking about PDP chairmanship.

4 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by aduku1(m): 9:05am On Sep 12, 2016
No not now

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by andersonbaba(f): 9:08am On Sep 12, 2016
there are only 2 types of people that should not be owed salary/ allowance

1. Pensioners
2. Corpers

@lalastica help them push the post to front page

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by andersonbaba(f): 9:12am On Sep 12, 2016
anibi9674:
my state no get money.

like Really
Rivers!!! a oil rich state. small states like Ogun state, Oyo, Gombe, Zamfara, Osun, etc are paying their corpers

6 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 9:14am On Sep 12, 2016
anibi9674:
my state no get money.

Am sure u are joking right?

2 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by opefid(m): 9:14am On Sep 12, 2016
anibi9674:
my state no get money.

who told you Rivers State has no money? Is Enugu State richer than Rivers state? Do U knw hw many millions Gov. wike expended on d aborted PDP national conference and the just concluded NBA conference?

12 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by Deepfreezer(m): 9:16am On Sep 12, 2016
Please Wike pay this guys ooo. Naija no suppose carry corpses play at all.

7 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 9:19am On Sep 12, 2016
The lack of proper welfare has caused the death of some corpers already.
Deepfreezer:
Deepfreezer:
Deepfreezer:
Deepfreezer:

3 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by Nobody: 9:20am On Sep 12, 2016
It's both heartbreaking and nerve cracking to think that the promise was made on the blood of another, what's more baffling is the fact that the promise is yet to be fulfilled. The Corps members serving in Rivers State strive so hard to meet ends owing to the meagre monthly allowance they earn, even going as far as undertaking extra side jobs to survive. The ones serving in Portharcourt, the state's capital are worst hit, like op has stated. From high transportation, expensive accommodation paid for with blood and broken bones, high cost of feeding and the likes. Barr. Nyesom Wike has a near pristine reputation in handling matters arising in Rivers State at least since his coming to power. They call him the "talk and do" Governor, He has "talked" now let him "do", if his reputation so far earned is anything to go by. He's won the heart of many, let this not be a cog in his wheel of stellar progress.

5 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 9:23am On Sep 12, 2016
opefid:

who told you Rivers State has no money? Is Enugu State richer than Rivers state? Do U knw hw many millions Gov. wike expended on d aborted PDP national conference and the just concluded NBA conference?

3 gbosa for you sir

8 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by daprincel(m): 9:26am On Sep 12, 2016
We're using this medium to appeal to our amiable Governor that he should please remember his promise.

God bless!

4 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by Donald1111: 9:27am On Sep 12, 2016
You all should shut your mouth up...go and work and stop looking for awoof money...fools..
Quote me and die
Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by Deepfreezer(m): 9:30am On Sep 12, 2016
baridamhoney:
The lack of proper welfare has caused the death of some corpers already.
you see what I'm saying... We all know corpers are not been treated fairly. Some corpers quarters will pass for a prison. None payment of Salaries, no medical insurance, they basically live off basic allowee, later some people will come out and say they are working. Shame on Nigerian government.

7 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 9:32am On Sep 12, 2016
Donald1111:
You all should shut your mouth up...go and work and stop looking for awoof money...fools..
Quote me and die
Se ur head like awoof money. Who told you that the Corpers are not working?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 12, 2016
Donald1111:
Quote me and die

Mannerless Homosapien

12 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by qboi3000: 9:34am On Sep 12, 2016
I join in this plea also.....Gov. Wike should please uphold his promise to we Corp members...

2 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by Donald1111: 9:34am On Sep 12, 2016
baridamhoney:

Se ur head like awoof money. Who told you that the Corpers are not working?

Ur head u mean...nonsense...i still stand on my grounds
Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 9:36am On Sep 12, 2016
qboi3000:
I join in this plea also.....Gov. Wike should please uphold his promise to we Corp members...

Yes oooo

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by agwom(m): 9:38am On Sep 12, 2016
hmmm

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 9:55am On Sep 12, 2016
agwom:
hmmm

We are not asking for too much. Just the promised state allawee

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by aduku1(m): 9:57am On Sep 12, 2016
Lexxyshacklebot:

Mannerless Homosapien

Dont mind that goat

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by opefid(m): 9:58am On Sep 12, 2016
Donald1111:
Quote me and die

slowpoke. You are nothing but a disaster to this generation of youths. As I don quote U now we go see who go die btw me and U. U dead already.

9 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by baridamhoney(f): 9:58am On Sep 12, 2016
Donald1111:

Ur head u mean...nonsense...i still stand on my grounds

What ground do u have that u are standing on. If u took your time to read the post you will know that this people have worked. If they can be paying an IT student, why can't a corper that is inputing knowledge on the locals.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by Donald1111: 10:01am On Sep 12, 2016
Lexxyshacklebot:

Mannerless Homosapien

Because i said the truth... You gave me this. Now this is why i said some persons are not suppose to be graduates.. Illiterate and beggers..

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Corpers' Pain: A Plea to Gov. Nyesom Wike to Fulfil Allawee Promise by TheLawTheLegal: 10:01am On Sep 12, 2016
It is very disheartening indeed. The amount a corps member spends on transportation in Rivers State is more than 8000 in a month, just to go to their PPA.

The Gov raised the hope of these corps members and now he is reneging on his Promise. I don't want to believe that he made that promise just to score some cheap political gains.

To think that Enugu State pays corps members #10000 per month and an oil rich state like Rivers State pays nothing, is disheartening.

One donald1111 is busy ranting that the Corp members should leave the governor alone and go and work for money. Does he know that 98 percent of Corp members in Rivers State are posted to government schools where they have to go to school almost on a daily basis? Do you know how many of them that have been issued query for missing CDS?

The annoying part is the level of insecurity in Rivers. The way Corp members are robbed is not fair. A friend told me how his phone was stolen and after one month of buying a new one, he was accosted by three men who slapped him and collected the new phone.

Amaechi stopped this payment when he was governor because of the issues he had with Jonathan and the fact that he needed money to sponsor Buhari. And now Wike wants to follow that wicked line.

The love I have for Wike will die a natural death if he doesn't fulfill his Promise.

NYSC does not serve any useful purpose. It should be scrapped.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Corpers How Do You Manage Your N19,000 (Alawe) Monthly / Wike Builds 500 Capacity Auditorium For NYSC In Rivers State / Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.