Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? (4758 Views)

A Call To Nigerian Programmers / Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by stealthtiger(m): 7:50am On May 04, 2017
Most Nigerian programmers are lazy. That's just the answer. You see it reflect in their works. They feel web development is easier compared to the lots of logic and theories of computing that'd be needed for software development.

Nobody wants to learn. Everybody just wants to make a quick buck from this. But that's not how it should be.
That's why you see when you give them jobs that are a bit deviated from web programming, and that also require deep skills in computing. What they do is to just apply that idea they have in web development for a complex program. Holy Shit! .
At the end of the day they create mediocre products and that's the reason why software jobs are been outsourced to foreigners.

It all boils that to laziness and mediocrity.
They're not just willing to grow. So they just stick to the easiest shit and they're not even improving.

Checkout nairalands app

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by Paul004(m): 10:58am On May 04, 2017
joat247:

That's a lie the one about play store
I have a play store account and I only payed once for it no renewal or anything
ok. thanks for d correction

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:32pm On May 06, 2017
stealthtiger:
Most Nigerian programmers are lazy. That's just the answer. You see it reflect in their works. They feel web development is easier compared to the lots of logic and theories of computing that'd be needed for software development.

Nobody wants to learn. Everybody just wants to make a quick buck from this. But that's not how it should be.
That's why you see when you give them jobs that are a bit deviated from web programming, and that also require deep skills in computing. What they do is to just apply that idea they have in web development for a complex program. Holy Shit! .
At the end of the day they create mediocre products and that's the reason why software jobs are been outsourced to foreigners.

It all boils that to laziness and mediocrity.
They're not just willing to grow. So they just stick to the easiest shit and they're not even improving.

Checkout nairalands app

You wont go far with your hasty generalizations.

1. Web development is where the action is right now all over the world and far into the foreseeable future.
2. Machine learning is done to meet a need. We have not yet reached that level.
3.Machine learning is expensive; Nigerians do not have spare cash. It costs non-trivial amounts of money to set up a decent cluster and when you do that where is the data-set to run? You require huge data sets to make valid conclusions. There is simply no data in most cases. When you gain the knowledge how do you monetize your knowledge?
4. Game development is expensive and is a thing for well funded teams. Nigerians do not play games enough for development to be commercially viable.
5. Embedded systems development is specific to industry. Do you see any industries commissioning developers in Nigeria ?

Stop running down your countrymen.
It has little to do with laziness and more attributable to market demand.
There are brilliant coders in Nigeria that will run rings round you and many google /fb/ engineers in tests of ability. See here for a testimony : https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14071540

The average American developer will struggle to survive much less produce any work under Nigerian conditions.

Finally, there are people doing ML in their private work-spaces. They just do not want to advertize. Ask the right questions - politely - and maybe they will respond. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by stealthtiger(m): 6:50pm On May 06, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

1. Web development is where the action is right now all over the world and far into the foreseeable future.
3.Machine learning is expensive; Nigerians do not have spare cash. It costs non-trivial amounts of money to set up a decent cluster and when you do that where is the data-set to run? You require huge data sets to make valid conclusions. There is simply no data in most cases. When you gain the knowledge how do you monetize your knowledge?
4. Game development is expensive and is a thing for well funded teams. Nigerians do not play games enough for development to be commercially viable.
5. Embedded systems development is specific to industry. Do you see any industries commissioning developers in Nigeria ?

There are brilliant coders in Nigeria that will run rings round you and many google /fb/ engineers in tests of ability. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14071540
The average American developer will struggle to survive much less produce any work under Nigerian conditions.
Finally, there are people doing ML in their private work-spaces. They just do not want to advertize. Ask the right questions and maybe they will respond. undecided
Thanks for your opinion.

But it can also be passed without you been uncessarily derogatory.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:55pm On May 06, 2017
stealthtiger:

Thanks for your opinion.

But it can also be passed without you been uncessarily derogatory.

I did far better than you who referred to Nigerian coders as 'lazy' (amongst other put-downs)

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by stealthtiger(m): 9:16pm On May 06, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

I did far better than you who referred to Nigerian coders as 'lazy' (amongst other put-downs)
There's nothing wrong in having a constructive criticism.
It's something that should be embraced
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by Prince16: 10:42pm On May 06, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

3.Machine learning is expensive; Nigerians do not have spare cash. It costs non-trivial amounts of money to set up a decent cluster and when you do that where is the data-set to run? You require huge data set s to make valid conclusions. There is simply no data in most cases. When you gain the knowledge how do you monetize your knowledge?

There are brilliant coders in Nigeria that will run rings round you and many google /fb/ engineers in tests of ability. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14071540
Finally, there are people doing ML in their private work-spaces. They just do not want to advertize. Ask the right questions and maybe they will respond. undecided

Pls, i wish to venture in2 d IT field. Can u kindly give a candid advice on the following:

1. If u are to recommend any of 'Web development' , 'Networking', 'programming' , 'Multimedia' or any other one u know to ur blood brother to study, which one(s) would it/they be, and why?

2. Which IT school would u recommend as best suited to equip me in ds field(s) (I've heard of NIIT, HIIT, IIHT etc)

Thanks in anticipation of ur candid reply.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by adejumoadeoluwa(m): 2:05am On May 07, 2017
its easiest to get started, runs on all devices, pays $$$
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:23am On May 07, 2017
Prince16:

Pls, i wish to venture in2 d IT field. Can u kindly give a candid advice on the following:

1. If u are to recommend any of 'Web development' , 'Networking', 'programming' , 'Multimedia' or any other one u know to ur blood brother to study, which one(s) would it/they be, and why?

2. Which IT school would u recommend as best suited to equip me in ds field(s) (I've heard of NIIT, HIIT, IIHT etc)

Thanks in anticipation of ur candid reply.

You will need to find out which you are good at and have an interest in. Look up the various options and watch videos on youtube. That will give you an idea of what they are about.
In Nigeria it would appear network engineers make the best pay for now (CCNA etc) but that may change in the future.
As for the best school, look for one that is accredited and ask alumni of their experiences.
Best of luck!
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by Prince16: 8:51am On May 07, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

You will need to find out which you are good at and have an interest in. Look up the various options and watch videos on youtube. That will give you an idea of what they are about.
In Nigeria it would appear network engineers make the best pay for now (CCNA etc) but that may change in the future.
As for the best school, look for one that is accredited and ask alumni of their experiences.
Best of luck!

Thanks a lot
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by cbrass(m): 4:52pm On May 07, 2017
dhtml18:
I started out primarily as a software developer, after sweeping the streets of Lagos, with hungry wiring me mercilessly, I had to be more practically, so I rebranded myself as dhtml and things started working well for me.
As a software programmer, you need to be employed by a firm, or you just need to have an application that sells. And to be honest, software piracy has killed us in naija, that too contributes to the problem.
So the way out - web, but right now, I believe I am making more as a mobile application developer - that seems to be the main thing now.
So you see, from software programmer, i migrated to web developer, and now mobile application developer. I move with the times.

See prostitutes every where undecided
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by cbrass(m): 5:02pm On May 07, 2017
Me am not like the prostitutes up there grin, anyway i started with html, and I did more html then I went into more html, so one day I wanted to submit a form, I come dey look the screen like mumu cheesy but God was with me he then set a table before me filled with php, then I tried js but the thing was too hard for me so I ran to jquery then back to php framework called laravel and now on phyton, grin
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 07, 2017
Hahahahaha, very funny troll you have turned out to be!
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by jidez007: 5:44pm On May 07, 2017
Me I was smart from the beginning. I chose web designing and started earning by building wordpress websites without being very good in web development.

Then one day it occurred to me that I can't be calling myself a web developer with just WordPress skill that anyone can just learn in 2 weeks. So I took web development seriously and continued learning.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 07, 2017
I need to make a point clear at this point:
There are Nairaland-Programming-Section words for 'self-acclaimed programmers' that build websites with WordPress/Joomla/Drupal without actually knowing how to write codes:
- A. Template Installers
- B. CMS Installers
- C. Developer (this one is not specific)

But let us assume you can write a wordpress plugin, or a wordpress theme from the scratch for example - that will make you a programmer.

The moment you use the word PROGRAMMER, then and then, you must be a powerful coder like yours truly.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by oluwadubem: 1:40am On May 08, 2017
dhtml18:
I need to make a point clear at this point:
There are Nairaland-Programming-Section words for 'self-acclaimed programmers' that build websites with WordPress/Joomla/Drupal without actually knowing how to write codes:
- A. Template Installers
- B. CMS Installers
- C. Developer (this one is not specific)

But let us assume you can write a wordpress plugin, or a wordpress theme from the scratch for example - that will make you a programmer.

The moment you use the word PROGRAMMER, then and then, you must be a powerful coder like yours truly.

manny you re right,doh am not a coder but I can design a bit html site,what pain me is that some will be claiming they build site for 2k,5k or less I come dey wonder wether the site will b build with only html or just cms just as you said,i asked one of them that say they build site with 3k to design me a good registration form that will be similar of that of facebook just only the form with html that I will pay 1k,the niggah started speaking in tongue.....my question is now why re they claiming what they are not......?.....you don't have knowledge of (html,c++,pearl,haskel,ada,php,javascript,java,objective c,c#,ruby,python,c,swift and many more language out there) but yet with there sweet mouth they clain they develop haev3n/earth.....i still blive that most of them re scammer just like those found in ......thanks for this manny

#peace#
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by Nobody: 2:29am On May 08, 2017
^^^those ones you are mentioning are the ones that DISGRACED this board!
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by Realphilo(m): 8:33pm On May 08, 2017
zzzzy:
I might be wrong though, but based on the people I know, most of them are interested in web development. Not that it's actually a bad idea, but i would like to know why. I hardly see developers who are interested in fields like machine learning/ai, computer security, computer vision, speech processing and stuff like that. I believe these are interesting fields, but why do most Nigerians go into the web.
Ps: if you're a web developer, you could start by telling us why you love it.

I started with Desktop Applications, but now full-time on web.

Everything is now web.!!

People tends to use web services more than Mobile or Desktop service.

With Web development, there is no limitation.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Programmers Interested In Web Development? by spikesC(m): 7:04am On May 09, 2017
stealthtiger:

There's nothing wrong in having a constructive criticism.
It's something that should be embraced

I really don't think you know the meaning of these words/phrases you use, like "derogatory" and "constructive criticism".
You obviously have a limited network which shapes your opinion on Nigerian developers. That's fine with me, I can understand that wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Does It Take To Learn Python programming language Easy And Faster? / Community Service | I Am To Teach Everything I Know In Java For Free! / Any Female Python Programmer Here??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.