Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume (22172 Views)

In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors / Things You Should Remove From Your Resume Immediately / Things You Should Remove From Your Resume Immediately (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Holargyde(m): 2:51pm On Sep 14, 2016
Many more people under-promote themselves on their resumes than the reverse. They leave their most significant accomplishments off their resumes, because they are afraid to claim them!

Why would anybody hesitate to claim their professional accomplishments? In this list of Ten Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim on Your Resume, you’ll see why talented people so often understate their own career histories.

10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume

1. You can claim any project you were part of, even if your manager was not aware of your participation or would not have approved the time and energy you spent on the project. This is one reason many people don’t claim their most exciting projects. They don’t claim them because they didn’t have their manager’s full support for the project!

2. You can claim any good idea that you came up with, especially if you had to “sell” the idea to upper management. Make sure to call out that accomplishment in your resume, like this: “I conceived of our new pricing scheme and sold the idea internally for six months before it was adopted and then expanded to include all seven regions.” Yes, you can use the word “I” in your resume, and you should!

3. You can claim work that you performed on a volunteer basis or when you were consulting with a friend for free.

4. You can claim work that you performed as a favor to a colleague.
5. You can claim accomplishments that were not part of your official job description. Here’s another reason many people fail to take credit for their triumphs. They keep their coolest accomplishments off their resume because those wins were not in their job description. Who cares?
6. You can claim everything you learned at work, whether you learned it in a classroom, online, or from another employee. On-the-job training is just as good as instructor-led training, if not better!

7. You can claim the leadership of a task or project if it is true. It doesn’t matter whether anyone appointed you the group leader, or whether you just took on that role naturally.
8. You can claim wins that didn’t show success while you were working for the company, but only bore fruit later. It’s still your win! People work on cathedrals for hundreds of years before the cathedral is finished. Every one of those people is part of the triumph when the cathedral doors open.

9. You can claim projects that you worked on that never came to fruition. It’s still tremendous learning for you!

10. Finally, you can claim responsibilities that were in someone else’s job description, as long as you actually carried out the responsibilities.

Feel Free to add yours

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Edwardhead(m): 2:58pm On Sep 14, 2016
lol, I have never been employed with the requirement of resume in my life, I dont believe in all these, if they are ready to employ you whether through connection (of favourism, tribalism or relationship) or grace of the Lord, they wont even spend a second on checking on your qualifications, they will just ask "when do you want to start?"

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by herzern(m): 7:28am On Sep 15, 2016
"You can claim"....

"You can claim".....

undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Toluwani113: 7:29am On Sep 15, 2016
Wow!
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Tyche(m): 7:31am On Sep 15, 2016
Space booked grin
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by chimah3(m): 7:31am On Sep 15, 2016
I see!!!
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by babyfaceafrica: 7:31am On Sep 15, 2016
Edwardhead:
lol, I have never been employed with the requirement of resume in my life, I dont believe in all these, if they are ready to employ you whether through connection (of favourism, tribalism or relationship) or grace of the Lord, they wont even spend a second on checking on your qualifications, they will just ask "when do you want to start?"
I concur...people just posting do this ,do that.If you will get that job ,you will get it..just do the basics...what will be will be!!!!!....if you like have phd and be 23,if they won't employ you they won't.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by almeida3: 7:31am On Sep 15, 2016
Person of the year 2006.
You were chosen in 2006 as Time magazine's Person of the Year.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by raebox: 7:31am On Sep 15, 2016
summary please
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by haywire07(m): 7:32am On Sep 15, 2016
I don't like all dis people above me undecided

Glo network na bastard cry cry

In fact ....

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by vicola0281: 7:32am On Sep 15, 2016
I dnt even undastand d topic sef...
hunger cry
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by maryjan8(f): 7:33am On Sep 15, 2016
Noted!
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by GoldenJAT(m): 7:33am On Sep 15, 2016
owner way de give us all these TIPS..hope owner don land better JOBS
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Innodon(m): 7:33am On Sep 15, 2016
Ok
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by ANIEXTY(m): 7:33am On Sep 15, 2016
Must i comment ?
.No

*walks outta tread*
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Okaakoko(m): 7:34am On Sep 15, 2016
raebox:
summary please

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by AlexCk: 7:34am On Sep 15, 2016
Tor

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by clemmonce(m): 7:36am On Sep 15, 2016
Edwardhead:
when you have a company employ people like that. Don't ask any question ooo. Just ask them when do you want to start.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Emeka71(m): 7:36am On Sep 15, 2016
I thought He was going to say that you can claim to be an (ACA) when you are yet to become.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:38am On Sep 15, 2016
is what u can offer in ur head will judge..
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by bestspoke: 7:47am On Sep 15, 2016
I can claim the number of babes i toast wey no gree.
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Goldenheart(m): 7:57am On Sep 15, 2016
Nothing beats confidence.

cheesy

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Reubenxtra(m): 7:58am On Sep 15, 2016
people who say its not relevant have alot to learn,keep praying for that connection to come. I tell you, you'll do yourself a good favour by heeding to this vital information,otherwise you'll miss opportunities,i mean lots of them. I got two jobs because of these information on my CV, i was able to defend them at the interview. Don't be too 'Nigerian' to a point where you lack wisdom to do what ought to do...do your part, and seek connection if you have. God bless You!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Rapmoney(m): 8:05am On Sep 15, 2016
The way these CV threads are becoming scanty truly shows that what Nigerian youths want are jobs!!! grin Guys dor tire for CV this and CV that...na the job be the koko! grin grin

In the long run, the tips are useful even if the frustration of job search has made many not to care about stuffs like these.
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by ReverseEngineer: 8:08am On Sep 15, 2016
You can tell them of your proficiency in ICT. Employers love that.. Programmers are creative thinkers you know.

check my signature to acquire programming and web development skills
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by DjSwaga(m): 8:09am On Sep 15, 2016
Talann379:
Hello every one, how are you? smiley

Robot spotted

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by raebox: 8:21am On Sep 15, 2016
Okaakoko:
ya sucha weeder
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 15, 2016
ReverseEngineer:
You can tell them of your proficiency in ICT. Employers love that.. Programmers are creative thinkers you know.

check my signature to acquire programming and web development skills
where are you located?
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Nobody: 8:39am On Sep 15, 2016
These are eye openers. Thanks op
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Zirah: 8:39am On Sep 15, 2016
Hahahahahaha grin grin grin grin

Emeka71:
I thought He was going to say that you can claim to be an (ACA) when you are yet to become.
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by babyfaceafrica: 8:42am On Sep 15, 2016
Reubenxtra:
people who say its not relevant have alot to learn,keep praying for that connection to come. I tell you, you'll do yourself a good favour by heeding to this vital information,otherwise you'll miss opportunities,i mean lots of them. I got two jobs because of these information on my CV, i was able to defend them at the interview. Don't be too 'Nigerian' to a point where you lack wisdom to do what ought to do...do your part, and seek connection if you have. God bless You!
not relevant ..if you will get a job ,you will

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Npower: Physical Verification To Commence On The 10th September / Attention: Npower Batch C1 Crediting Of Accounts For January Payment Commences / My Chat With An Online Job Scammer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.