Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. (7765 Views)

Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) / Parrot Destroys Man's Maize Farm (Photos) / Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 6:01pm On Sep 14, 2016
thank God, but truly farming is not for the poor, PMB said we should diversify I guess he was talking to the rich persons, what about the poor?

2 Likes

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 6:13pm On Sep 14, 2016
fresh

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 6:22pm On Sep 14, 2016
just for the evening

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 6:28pm On Sep 14, 2016
that's God's work

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 6:37pm On Sep 14, 2016
admiring dedication, hard work, and much fund invested

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 6:39pm On Sep 14, 2016
selfie with my baby corn... harvesting in few days Time.

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by sholatech(m): 7:04pm On Sep 14, 2016
Welldone Pam. Will you be selling the bagged dried maize?
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 7:32pm On Sep 14, 2016
sholatech:
Welldone Pam. Will you be selling the bagged dried maize?
yes sir part of it would be recycled for MA poultry.
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by Tyche(m): 3:41am On Sep 15, 2016
You are right, commercial farming is capital intensive. Glory be to the Lord of harvest for being with you. We tap into your blessing

1 Like

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 5:18am On Sep 15, 2016
Tyche:
You are right, commercial farming is capital intensive. Glory be to the Lord of harvest for being with you. We tap into your blessing
yes you get the point... couple with an insensitive government who would not ease the price of common fertilizer, can u imagine? major farmers this year could not afford fertilizer and they had stunted growth and virtualy nothing to harvest... God help us

1 Like

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by Inspectahdeck(m): 10:53pm On Sep 15, 2016
Wow great job bro.

I intend cultivating maize next year (Feb or Mar) and it gives me so much joy going through your thread.

Please can you kindly give a rough estimate of your total production cost from cultivation to harvest.

Your information is recent and will go a long way.

Many thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 9:46am On Sep 16, 2016
Inspectahdeck:
Wow great job bro.

I intend cultivating maize next year (Feb or Mar) and it gives me so much joy going through your thread.

Please can you kindly give a rough estimate of your total production cost from cultivation to harvest.

Your information is recent and will go a long way.

Many thanks.
OK sir... that would be a long job to do... let me get figures straight I would be back
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 10:17am On Sep 16, 2016
1.land clearing, ploughing and ridging, cost 25k per hecter, although this varies from place to place... government tractors may charge u lesser via per operation but most times u have to wait till thy kingdom come to be served...
2.bought hybrid seeds 15kg per hecter... the seeds are sold at #300 per kg... 15kg*4=60kg*300=#18,000
herbicide used 4cans of paraforce@1200 per can= 4800 though it was not enough... everything no manage manage...

3 Likes

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 10:35am On Sep 16, 2016
one of the secrets of maize farming is...fertile soil... I read sometime that majority of the soils in our country are not that fertile, but we can do alot to get a rich soil... some time last year I planted soya beans on the land and still this year I intercroped with soya beans... it nourishes the soil... on a second note... the use of ashes help boost ur crop... I used Ash that was hipped up in my area for ages to pour on the whole farm... most times those who fry akara, mama put etc dispose ashes in a particular market area... just find out where in ur area... any way for the ash I did not pay for it I just settled some area guys who put them in bags... pictures of the ash would be loaded... #5000 for that... Bush burning is good but has its own side effects on land... I would continue Leta with gist on purchase of fertilizer in this change season plus weeding and other bulky expenses...
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by adebayo3449(m): 10:51am On Sep 16, 2016
pamdaniel:
one of the secrets of maize farming is...fertile soil... I read sometime that majority of the soils in our country are not that fertile, but we can do alot to get a rich soil... some time last year I planted soya beans on the land and still this year I intercroped with soya beans... it nourishes the soil... on a second note... the use of ashes help boost ur crop... I used Ash that was hipped up in my area for ages to pour on the whole farm... most times those who fry akara, mama put etc dispose ashes in a particular market area... just find out where in ur area... any way for the ash I did not pay for it I just settled some area guys who put them in bags... pictures of the ash would be loaded... #5000 for that... Bush burning is good but has its own side effects on land... I would continue Leta with gist on purchase of fertilizer in this change season plus weeding and other bulky expenses...
this is really an eye opener am really interested in it
pls continue
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by adeniyi65(m): 1:43pm On Sep 16, 2016
Infact!you add more to my knowledge on maize farming.''aches can also be use inplace of fertilizer.'' wow! i will do research on it and praticalize it just to know what to choose bitween it and poultry drops for my farm which shall commence next year by the grace of God.
We shall be expecting the remaining part of your expenses as soon as you are less busy.
Another question i will like to ask you is that,have you calculate the total tonne of the maize you make on your farm.so that we may know the standard return on an hectare. may God be your strenght for this tread you created.
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by Inspectahdeck(m): 2:32pm On Sep 16, 2016
I await your response.

Many thanks

pamdaniel:
OK sir... that would be a long job to do... let me get figures straight I would be back
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by biggal: 5:28pm On Sep 16, 2016
Pls continue God bless you
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by adeniyi65(m): 8:31am On Nov 24, 2016
@pamdaniel,u dont have to stop this thread here pls,i want to benefit more in ur experience before starting my own maize farm next yr.God bless u.
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 8:44am On Nov 24, 2016
adeniyi65:
@pamdaniel,u dont have to stop this thread here pls,i want to benefit more in ur experience before starting my own maize farm next yr.God bless u.
am sorry dear. I have been away...what would u want to know sir?
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by funlover1(m): 10:53am On Nov 24, 2016
Did you sell the corn fresh or dry?

1 Like

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 11:14am On Nov 24, 2016
funlover1:
Did you sell the corn fresh or dry?
I did not sell fresh... i sold dry, its sold in mudu down here in jos... maize meal is consumed often (tuwon masara) so to sell is not a problem... a mudu at present cost# 140-#150
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by funlover1(m): 12:36pm On Nov 24, 2016
Kindly explain how you did the drying and the shelling. I currently have maize on 4 acres of land due for harvest in a few days. I am at a dilemna with regards to whether to sell fresh or dry.
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by billyG(m): 12:49pm On Nov 24, 2016
Good job,i plan 2 farm 10 hectares of maize d only constraint is scarcity of fertilizer intend 2 use ricehusk ash & poultry waste.
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 11:19pm On Nov 24, 2016
funlover1:
Kindly explain how you did the drying and the shelling. I currently have maize on 4 acres of land due for harvest in a few days. I am at a dilemna with regards to whether to sell fresh or dry.
as for the drying I left the maize longer at the farm b4 harvesting, after harvest I removed its peel and dried under sun... I heard there is a machine for shelling but I did not use it. I ve not used it b4... what I did was to get some niggas(guys) who would put the maize in bags and beat hell out of the maize... lol. funny method though it works... after hiting the maize for a while there would be some grains DAT would fall off their cob... that's how I role... hope u understand my method, I have seen rice farmers in egbony hit there rice to separate grain from shell. that's the same method I used.

1 Like

Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 11:25pm On Nov 24, 2016
billyG:
Good job,i plan 2 farm 10 hectares of maize d only constraint is scarcity of fertilizer intend 2 use ricehusk ash & poultry waste.
when do u intend planting? if now u would need to irrigate, but if it'd by next farming season dont worry things might change... as for using only DAT, u may not get bumper harvest, why? cos maize is a heavy feeder when it comes to fertilizer
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by shadowid: 9:38am On Nov 25, 2016
giv us inside on spacing, fertilizer application, pest control n d probs wt birds n other insects
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by adeniyi65(m): 7:29pm On Nov 25, 2016
pamdaniel:
am sorry dear. I have been away...what would u want to know sir?
thanks for the response.i will like to know the minimum yeild you make per 1 hectare in this 4 hectare of maize farm.
Then i will like to know any challenge you encounter in the process.
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by thecrush: 10:04pm On Nov 25, 2016
I need a land in Jos....
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 10:13pm On Nov 25, 2016
thecrush:
I need a land in Jos....
u need it for farm ? lease or purchase?
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by thecrush: 10:13pm On Nov 25, 2016
pamdaniel:
u need it for farm ? lease or purchase?

Farm
Re: Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. by pamdaniel(m): 10:30pm On Nov 25, 2016
thecrush:

Farm
u would get around Zawan, kuru or riyom and barkin ladi areas just ask questions

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

U.S. Invests N8.6 Billion To Boost Small-scale Farming In Nigeria / Habgito Nigeria Limited Presents: The Hand Tiller. / Catfish Farming, 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.