Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,910 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters (14218 Views)

Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill / Fuel: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Demand For Price Increase / Buhari Rejects Files, Orders Aides To Meet Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by idupaul: 9:16am On Sep 15, 2016
I don't see him maintaining this rigid stance for too long ..how is he going to make up for the losses oil importers will be met with due to the fluctuating forex rates
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by 8BitGee(m): 9:16am On Sep 15, 2016
This is a wrong move, the price of oil shouldn't be controlled by government, it is unsustainable. Doing this means we are edging towards another subsidy scam!

It is painful, but marketers must pass on the cost due to dollar exchange rate. What the government needs to do is to ensure transparency in the forex market first by sanctioning the banks and bureau de change operators that are sabotaging the economy for personal gains.

The government needs to break the forex cabal by bringing in big names such as travelex and propping local companies who'd be more accountable.

Finally, I think Emefiele has over-stayed his welcome. He appears not to have any grip whatsoever. This was not the case with Sanusi.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by brightology3: 9:18am On Sep 15, 2016
Standing5:
Corruption must fight back. All the dollars they stole under previous govt is haunting them. They are so used to it now.

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by idupaul: 9:19am On Sep 15, 2016
bejeiodus:
It is advisable he maintains a rigid stance on this. The goodwill he enjoyed prior to and after his assumption of office is fast depleting due to acute ineptitude to confront the myriad of challenges assailing this nation. A further hike in the price of petrol will deal a fatal blow on his plummeting popularity and nail the coffin of his exit from power at the next elections.

How is he going to maintain this rigid stand for long ? It's either he starts subsidizing fuel again or he allows the marketers pass the cost to fuel users ..both ways will signal the death knell for his govt ..the short cut will be to improve Naira rates as regards the dollars but this won't happen under a Buhari govt...Buhari has danced his way between the Devil and the deep blue sea.
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by holluphemydavid(m): 9:22am On Sep 15, 2016
Buhari had finished Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by idupaul: 9:23am On Sep 15, 2016
Lifestone:
There is always a limit to human endurance. The French Revolution was fueled by an increase in the price of bread.
Any increase in the pump price of petrol now will make a bad time worse for Nigerians.
PMB should say no to this proposal

When he says no who is going to make up for the shortfall..or are you suggesting he starts subsidizing fuel again
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by idupaul: 9:25am On Sep 15, 2016
ephi123:

I wonder.
Very uninspiring a leader, no single tangible idea or implementation of any significant thing since almost 2 years he's been in power. Huge disappointment. Mschew

You have said it all..he is totally uninspiring
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by BABANGBALI: 9:51am On Sep 15, 2016
Time will tell
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by johnbu: 10:15am On Sep 15, 2016
BlackSeptember:
Who takes buhari serious?
then, go to exile
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by HtwoOw: 10:18am On Sep 15, 2016
So marketers are calling for it and some wicked souls said it's Buhari who wants to increase it

Another lie busted

Next please

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by DabuIIIT: 10:42am On Sep 15, 2016
HtwoOw:

So marketers are calling for it and some wicked souls said it's Buhari who wants to increase it

so its the markerters that are responsible for enacting policies that affect the determinant factors controlling price,abi? Hehehe...the reasoning of a supposed educated adult indeed..smh grin

and aint no lie,its just ur warped perception and headlong illusion..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Goke7: 10:48am On Sep 15, 2016
The fuel marketers are just looking for subsidy payment that's all. How many people buy petrol these days, there is too much fuel at the tank farms now with less demand due to the present state of the economy according to recent reports.

The deregulation regime for petrol is not palatable to the marketers as the forces of demand is at play hence the variation in prices from 139 to 145 naira per litre and with the way the economy is going, petrol price will fall as demand reduces.

The marketers are only trying to play a fast one on PMB with the forex issue, its not by force to be in fuel importation business, if you can't cope with the business, then leave it to the big players.

Nigerians do not be deceived, we are in the era of deregulation. marketers are only looking for subsidy payment chikena.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Goke7: 10:50am On Sep 15, 2016
idupaul:

How is he going to maintain this rigid stand for long ? It's either he starts subsidizing fuel again or he allows the marketers pass the cost to fuel users ..both ways will signal the death knell for his govt ..the short cut will be to improve Naira rates as regards the dollars but this won't happen under a Buhari govt...Buhari has danced his way between the Devil and the deep blue sea.

How many people are buying fuel like they do before and you think if fuel price increase, people will buy more? Simple economics bruv
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by mengho(m): 11:06am On Sep 15, 2016
which fuel dem dey talk now, even at 138-140 people are still avoiding it, some people dey hustle to get food dis marketer's dey talk of price increase. anymore increase will lead to massive disappearance of vechiles & generators from our lives( which is good for d environment). Horses, carriages & donkeys will become a new means of transportation I.e if there is no revolution
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Goke7: 11:09am On Sep 15, 2016
mengho:
which fuel dem dey talk now, even at 138-140 people are still avoiding it, some people dey hustle to get food dis marketer's dey talk of price increase. anymore increase will lead to massive disappearance of vechiles & generators from our lives( which is good for d environment). Horses, carriages & donkeys will become a new means of transportation I.e if there is no revolution

abeg no kill me with laugh nah grin Horses and donkey ke! grin
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Nostradamu(m): 11:16am On Sep 15, 2016
omoodeogere:
THE REAL NIGERIA
I just realized that the
hardship faced by many Nigerians is simply as a result of the fact that almost everyone of us benefited from the cycle of corruption.
The bricklayer, plumber, labourers, tiler are all
complaining because building construction has slowed down massively cause the thieves no longer have money to spend on real estate.
The car dealers are
grumbling because their cars are begging for buyers.
Thieves can no longer spend wastefully.
The private school owners are shouting because parents can no longer pay outrageous sums and are withdrawing their wards.
I was shocked when I learnt that in a popular private University in Abuja, parents are writing undertaking at the account section for their children to be allowed to write exams... and it goes on and on.
The fact is, a lot of people are returning to what
someone referred to as ''default mode''.
We mostly have been living above our REAL MEANS.
We have been staying in houses that ordinarily our
incomes can't afford.
Our children going to schools we can't afford. Driving cars we ordinarily can't maintain.
We have been living a FAKE LIFE all along.
Now the reality is before us and we don't want to accept it.
This shows how morally bankrupt we are.
You can't eat your Cake and have it. TAKE NOTE.........
You got billions from bank without collateral using your political influence.
You put half into your business and spent the other half on exotic cars, jewelries' etc.
Your business employs 100 people normally. You get illegal waivers and concessions to import raw materials at rock bottom prices, you get over inflated contract to supply government some goods your company produce....
in short your company is kept afloat by corruption.
You have been paying Tithes, Sowing Seeds that includes money from corruption and inflated contracts.
Now, the new Sherriff in town say NO more ridiculous waiver, NO more inflated contracts, NO more bank loans without collateral, in fact its time you or your company pay off the billions of debt owed.....
AMCON takes over your company, staff are laid off......
And you go on air and say the new sheriff is killing business and causing unemployment..
The truth is....you and your company were never in business, you were only feeding off the corrupt system.
Too many companies and banks are funded by corruption.
Remove corruption from the system and they collapse.......and we end up blaming the person that remove corruption for the collapse of the corrupt company.
Its like our system and corruption are so interwoven and un-separatable twins, that, removing one will kill the other.
Maybe we should tolerate and learn to live with corruption so that Nigeria can survive?
But count me out of the BRING BACK OUR CORRUPTION campaign.
Blessed are the few incorruptible and hardworking Nigerians, for they shall be rewarded by the new emerging Nigeria.

Gosh! I am REALLY surprised that this post just has s-i-x (or so) likes! Wish we could develop an app for this post, that will be compatible with human tissue, and find a way to download it into the brains of ALL the citizens of this country. Yeah, one shoe does not fit all, but this is one critique that will fit more than 90% of the situation we find ourselves in this country.

Abeg, too much talk-talk, no action. Guess this is reality check but people can hardly withstand the blow-back. Anyways, good post bro. Although, Buhari also set us 100 years back during his military taekwondo in 1984, all i can say is no ruler in modern or ancient history is 100% free of controversies.

GBN

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Cletus77(m): 11:21am On Sep 15, 2016
dem no get refinery... But na to destroy d ones dem see na dem sabi, all in the name of "illegal" meanwhile who wants to be a citizen of my country?
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by idupaul: 11:27am On Sep 15, 2016
Goke7:

How many people are buying fuel like they do before and you think if fuel price increase, people will buy more? Simple economics bruv

I still don't get what this has to do with what I wrote...the problem is that the oil importers are saying that due to large forex disparities the can't continue selling at 145 because doing so will mean them selling at a loss ..this leaves the govt with just 2 options which will be to either allow for total deregulation or subsidize it again like what obtained in the past. .whether consumers end buy less fuel or more fuel doesn't change the fact that every litre has a landing cost and the fuel importers have a profit margin they expect for every litre
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Goke7: 11:40am On Sep 15, 2016
idupaul:

I still don't get what this has to do with what I wrote...the problem is that the oil importers are saying that due to large forex disparities the can't continue selling at 145 because doing so will mean them selling at a loss ..this leaves the govt with just 2 options which will be to either allow for total deregulation or subsidize it again like what obtained in the past. .whether consumers end buy less fuel or more fuel doesn't change the fact that every litre has a landing cost and the fuel importers have a profit margin they expect for every litre

The marketers are not being honest and many Nigerians know this, the price of 145 was fixed to satisfy their greed as the price should have been lesser. We are in total deregulation but many of the marketers are yet to come to the reality of the deregulation era having been spoiled with subsidy payments over the years. How come some have been selling at 139, 140, 141 all this while? did govt force anyone to sell less than 145 all this while, is it not the forces of demand that has been making many of them reduce their prices yet many are not buying.

Forget the forex issue, fuel importation is a private business, do the marketers expect Govt to print dollars for them to import? don't worry many filling stations will soon close down as we have too many sef since subsidy payments in the past made many who have nothing to do with oil and gas started opening filling stations all over the place. By the time they close down due to low patronage, demand for dollar will go down

Nigeria always defy simple economics in most matters but the marketers can't defy this one lai lai. Their yansh don open, dollar ko, naira ni
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by idupaul: 11:44am On Sep 15, 2016
Goke7:

The marketers are not being honest and many Nigerians know this, the price of 145 was fixed to satisfy their greed as the price should have been lesser. We are in total deregulation but many of the marketers are yet to come to the reality of the deregulation era having been spoiled with subsidy payments over the years. How come some have been selling at 139, 140, 141 all this while? did govt force anyone to sell less than 145 all this while, is it not the forces of demand that has been making many of them reduce their prices yet many are not buying.

Forget the forex issue, fuel importation is a private business, do the marketers expect Govt to print dollars for them to import? don't worry many filling stations will soon close down as we have too many sef since subsidy payments in the past made many who have nothing to do with oil and gas started opening filling stations all over the place. By the time they close down due to low patronage, demand for dollar will go down

Nigeria always defy simple economics in most matters but the marketers can't defy this one lai lai. Their yansh don open, dollar ko, naira ni

Then let's brace up for another gruelling fuel scarcity. .I advise the govt fully deregulates now and allow market forces determine the price of fuel at the pump
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Goke7: 11:54am On Sep 15, 2016
idupaul:

Then let's brace up for another gruelling fuel scarcity. .I advise the govt fully deregulates now and allow market forces determine the price of fuel at the pump

There will never be fuel scarcity, far from it. we have been hearing about fuel scarcity for over two months now and it never happened. You know why? Fuel marketers need to work for their money now as there will never be fuel subsidy payments again to make up for the time they close shop as it was in the past. Reason NUPENG and PENGASSAN never join NLC in their yeye strike earlier in the year.

With deregulation, there can never be scarcity, have you heard of diesel scarcity before? that is how petrol is now. Even if petrol price is increased to say N150 or more, it will come down to 145 again, that is how deregulation works, I saw a a filling station selling diesel at 175 per litre last week and I had a good laugh. cooking gas went up to 4,000 and over before it came down 3500, 3600, that is how it works.

Petrol scarcity is gone as long as there is no subsidy payment. Man must wack including the marketers
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by idupaul: 12:00pm On Sep 15, 2016
Goke7:

There will never be fuel scarcity, far from it. we have been hearing about fuel scarcity for over two months now and it never happened. You know why? Fuel marketers need to work for their money now as there will never be fuel subsidy payments again to make up for the time they close shop as it was in the past. Reason NUPENG and PENGASSAN never join NLC in their yeye strike earlier in the year.

With deregulation, there can never be scarcity, have you heard of diesel scarcity before? that is how petrol is now. Even if petrol price is increased to say N150 or more, it will come down to 145 again, that is how deregulation works, I saw a a filling station selling diesel at 175 per litre last week and I had a good laugh. cooking gas went up to 4,000 and over before it came down 3500, 3600, that is how it works.

Petrol scarcity is gone as long as there is no subsidy payment. Man must wack including the marketers

That's why the price ceiling must be removed so we can have a totally deregulated pricing structure ..I think we are saying the same thing sha
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Goke7: 12:11pm On Sep 15, 2016
idupaul:

That's why the price ceiling must be removed so we can have a totally deregulated pricing structure ..I think we are saying the same thing sha

The price ceiling was fixed to check the excesses of the marketers[fuel being an essential commodity] otherwise there will be need for no govt in the first place but like i said earlier the govt did not force them to sell below 145 either.

truth is if I were even PMB i will allow them increase cos the price will fall back again to 145 and less but then PMB knows that there are those who want to make cheap political points from the purported increase despite the true economic indices.

Bottom line is that the marketers wants subsidy payments back hence the blackmail using forex as a cheap excuse which is not valid at all and many Nigerians knows this.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by aisammy4: 12:26pm On Sep 15, 2016
omoodeogere:
THE REAL NIGERIA
I just realized that the
hardship faced by many Nigerians is simply as a result of the fact that almost everyone of us benefited from the cycle of corruption.
complaining because building construction has slowed down massively cause the thieves no longer have money to spend on real estate.
The car dealers are
The private school owners are shouting because parents can no longer pay outrageous sums and are withdrawing their wards.
I was shocked when I learnt that in a popular private University in Abuja, parents are writing undertaking at the account section for their children to be allowed to write exams... and it goes on and on.
incomes can't afford.
Our children going to schools we can't afford. Driving cars we ordinarily can't maintain.
You put half into your business and spent the other half on exotic cars, jewelries' etc.
Your business employs 100 people normally. You get illegal waivers and concessions to import raw materials at rock bottom prices, you get over inflated contract to supply government some goods your company produce....
You have been paying Tithes, Sowing Seeds that includes money from corruption and inflated contracts.
Now, the new Sherriff in town say NO more ridiculous waiver, NO more inflated contracts, NO more bank loans without collateral, in fact its time you or your company pay off the billions of debt owed.....
And you go on air and say the new sheriff is killing business and causing unemployment..
The truth is....you and your company were never in business, you were only feeding off the corrupt system.
Remove corruption from the system and they collapse.......and we end up blaming the person that remove corruption for the collapse of the corrupt company.
Its like our system and corruption are so interwoven and un-separatable twins, that, removing one will kill the other.
Maybe we should tolerate and learn to live with corruption so that Nigeria can survive?
Blessed are the few incorruptible and hardworking Nigerians, for they shall be rewarded by the new emerging Nigeria.

I FULLY SUPPORT THIS POST. INFACT, I LOVE THIS POST! THANK YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT SINCERITY!! THANK YOU
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by winnah(f): 12:42pm On Sep 15, 2016
omoodeogere:
THE REAL NIGERIA
I just realized that the
The car dealers are
incomes can't afford.
This man mean well to this country take it or leave it. America is great today is not because of the government but the citizen. And the majority of job created in America is not done by the government but the citizen. Oil boom Is nigeria's problem. Let the change that we're expecting to see begins with us.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by drss2(m): 1:45pm On Sep 15, 2016
lrguru:
if fuel price goes up because of current exchange rate, then we are in really big trouble, cos if they increase price of fuel today and the marketers wants to import tomorrow and decides to source for their forex from BDC again, that will increase the present exchange rate again, because they will buy millions of dollar and since it's scarce to find, the rate will increase, and this is how it will continue to be till $1= 1000 naira and 1 liter of fuel is 900 naira.

Bull-harry have destroyed this country
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Bigboss111(m): 4:41pm On Sep 15, 2016
That means fuel price will soon rise. May God help Nigerian masses.
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 15, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
Without refinery

Oil marketers will always win.

Expect scarcityh soon.
senior man u go school ure head correct. It's just a matter of time and as usual Nigerians will threaten fire and brimstone over the increment and as usual Nigerians will accept it and life will go on as usual.
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by xerxes456(m): 10:14pm On Sep 15, 2016
omoodeogere:
THE REAL NIGERIA
I just realized that the
The car dealers are
incomes can't afford.
HIT...
Re: Buhari Rejects Marketers’ Call On Petrol Price Hike – Daily Trust/Reuters by obainosis4real: 11:25am On Sep 16, 2016
Well! D marketers he used 2 inflate petrol price during his election are all against him now...nemesis, nemesis!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fresh N10bn NHIS Scam: Buhari Presidency Stinks, Has No Honour Left- PDP / Ugwuanyi Has Exceeded UN Tax Revenue To GDP Benchmark, Says Joint Tax Board / Pictures From APGA National Convention Held In Awka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.