Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job (29425 Views)

I Recently Lost My High Paying Job And I'm At A Crossroads On What To Do Next / Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 16, 2016
What's the exit policy in your current office? You said they are friendly and ready to share experience.

Now you have no idea about your new offer. You have no idea how often payments are made.

If you make research, you will find solutions.

don't believe in promises when it comes to jobs.

1 Like

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by encryptjay(m): 11:09am On Sep 16, 2016

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by OgidiOlu3(m): 11:09am On Sep 16, 2016
Contract job for me.
》More money
》Job security
》Possibility of making it permanent
》You'll be closer to family

You can still give us some info on your current job so that we'll know how best to advise.

2 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by timbs001(m): 11:09am On Sep 16, 2016
Stick with the contract Job.
Advantages:
You'll be closer to your family
The pay is better(although may not come with benefits)

Before two years runs out, who says God can't open more doors?
Above all, follow your heart

2 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by otukpo(f): 11:10am On Sep 16, 2016
I would go for the contract job.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by hrykanu231(m): 11:10am On Sep 16, 2016
Stick with your current job.

In another news, @Seun. I will like to ask if you have an agreement with bloggers to copy our comments here and paste on their blog(s).
I just saw comments I made here on a blog I know nothing about and I don't like it
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by tee4lowyeh(m): 11:10am On Sep 16, 2016
Poster, first I must say congratulations that you have a permanent Job right now in this recession and you have another opportunity as well.
However to help you make your decision, you need to provide more details on "the exit policy of the permanent job" and the "job role/details".

These two things will affect your choice.

1. Both Jobs pay rather well, but the contract job not only pays well but it also allows you to be nearer to your family.
2. However with the contract Job there is no guarantee of continuity as anything can happen.

The big question is: Which of them gives you a Job role that is relevant to your passion/career? A role you would love to gain experience in and be proud to put on your CV. A role that gives you an advantage for greater opportunities. A role that would not make you dormant and left behind.
This is the most important question you should answer to make your choice.

6 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by STJAM(m): 11:11am On Sep 16, 2016
Pray over the both job and let God lead you. Please do not follow your heart allow God to intervene and choose for you.

There is no permanent Job this of sacking and sacking here and there. therefore anything can happen even so call permanent job.

3 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by fablani(m): 11:12am On Sep 16, 2016
pls dear, stick to your current permanent job. or have you forgotten the saying that a bird at hand is worth more than millions in the bush. don't make an obvious mistake.
my mind sha, but you are free to follow your mind.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by AZeD1(m): 11:12am On Sep 16, 2016
helovesme:
Contract job all the way.

The only down side is that you will miss out on perks such as housing allowance, maternity pay, holiday pay, sick pay, etc except their terms of the contract job is different which I doubt.

Most contract jobs do not come with perks and allowances which is why it's important you negotiate as best as you can for a very high pay.

No job is secured - both permanent and contract. A person could be a permanent staff and suddenly he is penned down for redundancy. Same with contract roles - you could get a call informing you that the contract is about to end. This is why you should go for the role that pays the highest.

If you are good at what you do and you've built a professional network, you shouldn't struggle to move jobs. So if this role ends, you should easily get another job.

I am with you all the way.
What are the terms for cancellation of the contract?

Besides i believe after 18 months, one should start planning their exit from a company.

The 6M job all the way for me.

2 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by sportskid(m): 11:13am On Sep 16, 2016
In this recession there is no such thing as a permanent job, there never was anyway, just pick one according to your scale of preference, also put your family into full consideration. Also you said your boss used to like you, I' m kinda not comfortable with that.

1 Like

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by excel101(m): 11:14am On Sep 16, 2016
babacares:
Hello All,
I have to create this account for anonymous purpose because some of my colleagues are on NL. Here is my situation:

I just got a permanent job in Lagos with N4.8m/annum ( i had to relocate from where i was working before i resigned), i have been working in this environment for a little more than a month, i enjoy the environment, the people are friendly and willing to share knowledge and information, my 2 major issue with this office is their exit policy which got me scared and thinking of leaving before long.

I got another offer in another location where my family is based (iam married) for N6m/ per annum (net) through one of my former boss, he is putting pressure on me to accept the offer (he likes me alot while i was working with him), my issue with this job it, its a CONTRACT job (2 years and renewable) with a government parastatal, though he said they are most likely going to convert to permanent before the end of the 2 years.

Though i have not done contract job before, im kind of confused about it, and then the security of the job, etc. But the money/offer is tempting.
I just want your advise based on people with experience with contract jobs.

NOTE:
please dont mind my grammar
Thanks

Lala, mod please i need more comments
From my experience on contract jobs, i will advice you to ignore the contract job cos they promise renewal or being permanented after 2yrs. All these are big lies, rather organisations prefer recruiting permanent staffs nd after the expiration of ur contract u'll be laid off and start searching for another job. Don't be moved by their fantastic salary nd Its better u remain were u are. Your former boss is not the employer but an employee, he doesn't even know his own fate. Conclusively, I'll advice to pray about it.

4 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 16, 2016
wayo recession.
let some people be lazing about.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by umuihe(m): 11:15am On Sep 16, 2016
I don't believe this your story. For someone who commands the wages you mentioned, your use of English should be much better.

babacares:
Hello All,
I have to create this account for anonymous purpose because some of my colleagues are on NL. Here is my situation:

I just got a permanent job in Lagos with N4.8m/annum ( i had to relocate from where i was working before i resigned), i have been working in this environment for a little more than a month, i enjoy the environment, the people are friendly and willing to share knowledge and information, my 2 major issue with this office is their exit policy which got me scared and thinking of leaving before long.

I got another offer in another location where my family is based (iam married) for N6m/ per annum (net) through one of my former boss, he is putting pressure on me to accept the offer (he likes me alot while i was working with him), my issue with this job it, its a CONTRACT job (2 years and renewable) with a government parastatal, though he said they are most likely going to convert to permanent before the end of the 2 years.

Though i have not done contract job before, im kind of confused about it, and then the security of the job, etc. But the money/offer is tempting.

NOTE:
Thanks

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by jmichlins(m): 11:15am On Sep 16, 2016
there's no more job security in this country so take a contract job. You not only stay closer to your family you also work with government
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Cmeo(m): 11:15am On Sep 16, 2016
A contract job is good because of the money and when it is renewable as that makes it challenging (except you don't like challenging jobs). However think of inconstitence Govt policy too which may place a break/stop on the contract job at any time.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by martineinstein(m): 11:15am On Sep 16, 2016
im sitting on the fence......i might go for contract job,because the amount u get in one contract might be huge dat u can use it to invest in other business,which migh substain u when u arent having contract.unlike a permanet work,where u can be sacked at anytime
also,u have more time to spend with ur family
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Billygee2u: 11:16am On Sep 16, 2016
babacares:
Hello All,

NOTE:
Thanks

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by MadCow1: 11:16am On Sep 16, 2016
babacares:
Hello All,

NOTE:
Thanks

Follow the MONEY!!

Always follow the Money..

I made more in 6 Months as a Contract Staff than I have made in 1 year and 4 months as a Permanent Staff. cool

Finally, there is no such thing as a Permanent Job.. cool

6 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Toluwani113: 11:17am On Sep 16, 2016
Iamhatey:
SMH

Space Bookers Association cheesy
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by joey150(m): 11:17am On Sep 16, 2016
I wonder how you want a bunch of strangers with internet access to advice you on a very personal matter like this.

You said you are married..i assume you have a husband,talk it through with him.

If you earn that much you should know better

Btw,how can you be earning that much and telling us to pardon your English..when did it become so difficult to write simple English?

2 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by jaybee3(m): 11:18am On Sep 16, 2016
Contract Job all the way just because it attracts a level of stability on your home front.

No job is secure in this current economic climate

3 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by naijaboiy: 11:19am On Sep 16, 2016
I think you should be more concerned about being closer to your family.

It's very important! undecided
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by aimuan(m): 11:19am On Sep 16, 2016
I suggest you go 4 contract one.two years is pretty enough to plan on what to do,in the event that they fail to renew your contract.you can even be ur own boss by setting up a business after two your.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by jaybee3(m): 11:21am On Sep 16, 2016
BANGERLEE1:
contract job can be really demanding, I will advise you to stay with your current job provided you are happy with it and the situation is as good as you stated above. (I mean no sign of winding up ). contract job na wahala o.

It's not a bank nor Telecoms Job so the stress should be manageable

The OP made it clear it's a govt Job and thus Change in Govt is sorta the only risk
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by breakeven: 11:25am On Sep 16, 2016
Take the risk and go for the contract job. But from day one get prepared for whatever will happen after the two year. No risk no gain. If you are a believer commit it to God and move ahead. Life itself is a risk. Lest I forget, only take this risk if you are a proffesional n your field.

1 Like

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by MissyB3(f): 11:27am On Sep 16, 2016
If all factors were equal, this would be a no brainer. Being that there are lots of buts and ands, I'd say the contract job.
You'll be closer to your family, it could be an opportunity for growth ( I'm not talking financially which is already obvious), and well yes, you'll earn better.

You're probably that good be be getting these good offers, hence shouldn't have a problem getting the contract become permanent if there's the possibilty.
Worse case scenario, when/if it ends, being valid should help you get something else as good or better.

3 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by mayo47(m): 11:27am On Sep 16, 2016
Political instability can affect you on contract job since its with a government parastatal.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Parisfran(f): 11:28am On Sep 16, 2016
Most people even leave full time jobs after 2 years for fast promotion elsewhere. From the pay, there is an indication that you are an experienced staff and would most likely be able to get another job after 2 years. Try and also consider if relocating your family would be ideal at this time due to spouse commitments and kids school.

All the best.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Babayoutoomuch(f): 11:30am On Sep 16, 2016
Hmmmm! Really dicey situation. Don't know the exit policy of the former. What if the latter is not renewed?
If you're a spiritual person pls seek God's face for leading. Sometimes not all about money!
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by TalkingBird: 11:31am On Sep 16, 2016
Your family comes first, so a job that will allow you work from home is priority. Then the job with some level of guarantee and possible rise in level.
Money is not everything, happiness stands out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

" Oga At The Top" Shem Obafaiye Excels in His Core Job / What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? / 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.