Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,430 members, 7,781,254 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:20 AM

Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job (29384 Views)

I Recently Lost My High Paying Job And I'm At A Crossroads On What To Do Next / Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 12:10pm On Sep 16, 2016
breakeven:
Take the risk and go for the contract job. But from day one get prepared for whatever will happen after the two year. No risk no gain. If you are a believer commit it to God and move ahead. Life itself is a risk. Lest I forget, only take this risk if you are a proffesional n your field.
thanks for the advice
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by sunkoye: 12:10pm On Sep 16, 2016
oga pls stay where you are.....with govt policy sumersult here and there.

wat if the managemnt ask you to leave after 2 month due to govt advice. who you go hol?....after all its a contract job.

you are only advised to take insured risk during recession.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by bigyomite(m): 12:13pm On Sep 16, 2016
Stay with your present job my broda, i am talk base on my profession Hr pwersonnel
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 12:13pm On Sep 16, 2016
megareal:
Go for the contract job because of:
a. The source. If u reject this job, your ex boss may not recommend you for better things in future and may see u as unserious.

b. U are married and common sense detects that you place ur family on ur priority list when making decisions. Its a plus you'll be closer to them.

c. The salary is better and there is the possibility for renewal or permanence. Im sure ur ex boss can also press buttons to that effect for u.

Finally, even if the above is nt obtained, two years is enough to save and plan. Start putting in applications elsewhere by the time u are one year with them. You will definitely get a job.

thanks, although i have been making plans of relocating my family
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by elvis07: 12:14pm On Sep 16, 2016
So na 100k make u dey confused like dis. Abeg stick to ur permanent govt job oooo. My people talk say na for day time u go start dey look for black goat ooo.#words#proverbs
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 12:18pm On Sep 16, 2016
oluxy:
In my opinion, though I have not had any contract job before but I can still speak from the genuine beauty of my heart to you, presuming am in ur situation.

First, the life of work is short while the life of family is forever (generation to generation). U said u are married but working in diff place. I guess d contract job if it will make u be together with ur fmly n make u to add more value n teaching to ur kids, care n love around ur husband, I think u shud take d contract job.

Aside from the pay (money is not everything) but the joy of scriptural n God fulfillment that a woman shall leave her parents house and clinch with to her man n they will become one. Which means, be together, live together under one roof n raise their kids in oneness. If d contract work which still have an assurance of becoming perminant one will make u be with ur fmly to raise a fmly standard n future for ur fmly, pls pick it.

In ur current job, going by ur word dt, it is not too sure due to d company; in order words, there is no perminancy assurance.
To the place u reside n d kind of peeps there, thank God for that but also know DT, they are kind peeps better Dan where u reside now everywhere.

Let me hint u wit few words i said to my sis who was recently in d kind of ur case. She lives in d north working n her husband in southwest. I said if u let work, ur master program rip u joy of fmly, then it is left for u. D life of work is short but fmlyhood is forever. Why won't u n ur husband not keep having dispute when u r not 2gda. If he practice infidelity dont blame him. I told her a lot of DT. Now she is with d fmly n she said, she has missed a lot to teach her kids but she will make it up.

Above all, Put all decision in d hand of God and let it make it for u. Even if d contract work is short, u can HV a plan of setting up ur biz n executive it with what u will save from the contract work before it elapse. And besides, if God can make this contract work for two years, who told u He doesn't have a plan for u after this two years?

Do take care ma.
God will be ur final decision.
Don't mind my writing n typing, am doing from my phone.

thanks a lot for the time and the advice, although i have been making plans for relocating my family, but im just sacred of Lagos stress. also im scared of the stringent exit policy of the present place of work. Although the company is a great company with a lot of opportunities and growth, but those are my reservations
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 12:19pm On Sep 16, 2016
owolabiza:
My dear,
It all boils down to your future plans, how soon do u want to start up something on your own?.
No job is permanent, every job has its ups and down. Just plan on saving for a brighter future,.
Be it a Govt or a permanent job, no one is worth dying for..

Lastly, I would advise u take the risk, sometimes in life you need to leave ur comfort zone in search for greener pastures.

All the best in your decisions.

thanks for the time and advice, although i have been sceptical about the offer, was just using delay strategy by telling him to increase it to 6.5m or 7m
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by samguru(m): 12:20pm On Sep 16, 2016
The probability of renewal is 50%.

Based on my experience with government contract job,your security is not guarantee as government may do some stupid reshufflement at the ministry level which may prompt the commissioner/minister not to renew your contract because he/she wants to bring in his/her folks or change of power from one party to another.in short in my case the new minister ordered our DG,not to renew any contract citing the ministry has reached her budgetary provision.

Since then have been jobless for more than 2 years.
But in the case of permanent job,there seemingly job security also you will be growing with the company.

In a nutshell permanent job is way better except if you are determined to set up your business in the nearest future.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 12:23pm On Sep 16, 2016
enioluwaselore:
I would go for the option of staying in your current place of work for the reasons below.
1) The remuneration difference is not appreciable enough to take this risk.
2) The fact that the new job is with a government parastatal and on contract is a red flag. The job could wind down even before the 2 years based on change in govt policy or govt.
3) Relocating your family after just one month of staying in your new job and altering their own schedule is gonna really be something.

You didn't tell about the exit policy in your current place that would make us make a better informed decision, all in all its still your decision to make. Goodluck.

thanks for the advice and time, i appreciate
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 12:24pm On Sep 16, 2016
adnilyie:
you didn't state the condition of the exit of your current job, but for a married man, stability ids very critical so, i believe you should stay where you are now till the situation is clearer for you at the other side.

cheers.
the exit policy is too stringent and includes bond, etc which i didnt really know before i joined that is what im actually scared of. although i have started making plans of relocating my family
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 12:25pm On Sep 16, 2016
samguru:
The probability of renewal is 50%.

Based on my experience with government contract job,your security is not guarantee as government may do some stupid reshufflement at the ministry level which may prompt the commissioner/minister not to renew your contract because he/she wants to bring in his/her folks or change of power from one party to another.in short in my case the new minister ordered our DG,not to renew any contract citing the ministry has reached her budgetary provision.

Since then have been jobless for more than 2 years.
But in the case of permanent job,there seemingly job security also you will be growing with the company.

In a nutshell permanent job is way better except if you are determined to set up your business in the nearest future.

hmmm, thanks for the advice and time. i appreciate it
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by DonCortino: 12:27pm On Sep 16, 2016
babacares:
Hello All,
I have to create this account for anonymous purpose because some of my colleagues are on NL. Here is my situation:

I just got a permanent job in Lagos with N4.8m/annum ( i had to relocate from where i was working before i resigned), i have been working in this environment for a little more than a month, i enjoy the environment, the people are friendly and willing to share knowledge and information, my 2 major issue with this office is their exit policy which got me scared and thinking of leaving before long.

I got another offer in another location where my family is based (iam married) for N6m/ per annum (net) through one of my former boss, he is putting pressure on me to accept the offer (he likes me alot while i was working with him), my issue with this job it, its a CONTRACT job (2 years and renewable) with a government parastatal, though he said they are most likely going to convert to permanent before the end of the 2 years.

Though i have not done contract job before, im kind of confused about it, and then the security of the job, etc. But the money/offer is tempting.
I just want your advise based on people with experience with contract jobs.

NOTE:
please dont mind my grammar
Thanks

Lala, mod please i need more comments

Is there any permanent job in Nigeria again? You can wake up one morning and find yourself in d labour market. Check on FP a dude just lost his "permanent" job.

1 Like

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by kingori: 12:27pm On Sep 16, 2016
In 2007, I worked as a permanent staff earning 35k montly, a year down the line I got a 3 month renewable contract job 70k monthly. Mum adviced i go for the 70K, she said something which still drives me today, you must take risk, life is a risk but pray about it. That 9 years back, i thank God for that decision, current earning is a lil less than a million. If you willing to dare, take a risk and pray about it, expect & focus on the best regardless.

4 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 16, 2016
babacares:

the exit policy is too stringent includes bonds, etc (dont want to state details for obvious reasons), but the company (permanent) and a stable company

Ok. I Will say "follow your heart" but take your brain along in the sense that if you opt for the contract, what's would be your planB if not renewed.

1 Like

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 12:39pm On Sep 16, 2016
kingori:
In 2007, I worked as a permanent staff earning 35k montly, a year down the line I got a 3 month renewable contract job 70k monthly. Mum adviced i go for the 70K, she said something which still drives me today, you must take risk, life is a risk but pray about it. That 9 years back, i thank God for that decision, current earning is a lil less than a million. If you willing to dare, take a risk and pray about it, expect & focus on the best regardless.

thanks bro for the advice and risk, though i have been using delay tactics by telling him to increase the pay from 6m, but we have to pray about it, honestly, i dont like this stringent exit policy, its like enslaving. thanks

1 Like

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 12:39pm On Sep 16, 2016
Jhuniyour:

Ok. I Will say "follow your heart" but take your brain along in the sense that if you opt for the contract, what's would be your planB if not renewed.

thanks
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Paseus(m): 12:44pm On Sep 16, 2016
[quote author=helovesme post=49408060]Contract job all the way.

The only down side is that you will miss out on perks such as housing allowance, maternity pay, holiday pay, sick pay, etc except their terms of the contract job is different which I doubt.

Most contract jobs do not come with perks and allowances which is why it's important you negotiate as best as you can for a very high pay.

No job is secured - both permanent and contract. A person could be a permanent staff and suddenly he is penned down for redundancy. Same with contract roles - you could get a call informing you that the contract is about to end. This is why you should go for the role that pays the highest. Besides, you've already stated that you are uncomfortable with the exit policy of your present employer which means the company offers no job security.

If you are good at what you do and you've built a professional network, you re among the few pple here on Nl that think b4 commenting...mre grease jare!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Boyooosa(m): 12:47pm On Sep 16, 2016
kowema:
Hmmm...People are just quoting figures up and down

And they say dia is recession
Is that all you got? .... then, work hard!

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by sportman117: 1:00pm On Sep 16, 2016
babacares:
Hello All,
I have to create this account for anonymous purpose because some of my colleagues are on NL. Here is my situation:

I just got a permanent job in Lagos with N4.8m/annum ( i had to relocate from where i was working before i resigned), i have been working in this environment for a little more than a month, i enjoy the environment, the people are friendly and willing to share knowledge and information, my 2 major issue with this office is their exit policy which got me scared and thinking of leaving before long.

I got another offer in another location where my family is based (iam married) for N6m/ per annum (net) through one of my former boss, he is putting pressure on me to accept the offer (he likes me alot while i was working with him), my issue with this job it, its a CONTRACT job (2 years and renewable) with a government parastatal, though he said they are most likely going to convert to permanent before the end of the 2 years.

Though i have not done contract job before, im kind of confused about it, and then the security of the job, etc. But the money/offer is tempting.

NOTE:
Thanks

If you don't known what to do,bro stay at home. Naijabet man say so

1 Like

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by manando1(m): 1:04pm On Sep 16, 2016
cool
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by bclint: 1:04pm On Sep 16, 2016
plz in my own little advice jst kindly remain were u are, i was once a contract staff in a Bank nd the stories every day where jst too much so plz a bird at hand is worth more than thousands in the bush, though their could be a diffrence sha....but u can still follow your mind.

2 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by spitfyer(m): 1:19pm On Sep 16, 2016
I totally agree wit you............. a living dog is better than a dead lion.

kowema:

I think u should stick to your current job

Its better to stick with positive realities than to hope on speculations that might not turn out as expected.

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by henryboff(m): 1:29pm On Sep 16, 2016
babacares:
Hello All,

NOTE:
Thanks

Boss you dey hammer ooo!! I advice say make you take the contract job sha but try raise the money small. Advice is based on the fact that the job is closer to your family.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by supereagle(m): 1:30pm On Sep 16, 2016
Ask God for the guide . He sees the end from the beginning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by amanikondo: 1:31pm On Sep 16, 2016
babacares:
Hello All,

NOTE:
Thanks

Go with the contract one since the exit policy of your present one is not good. You will be making more money, you must also put pressure on your contact after your 1 year anniversary and start looking for more opportunities. The only reason I will advise you stay at the current job is if you are one of their best employees. You must be the best or do things (beyond what you are paid for) to make you indispensable.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by oluwasegun007(m): 1:31pm On Sep 16, 2016
babacares:

thanks for the advice

No P...... grin grin grin
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by adewumiopeyemi(m): 1:34pm On Sep 16, 2016
seee bro let me tell u contract job is the worst to GET BECAUSE ur work is not gurantee.. theyt may sack anytime.... in full time contract ur are entitled to many benifit and ur work is grantee. and safe. even if they lay u off u will still get some large entitlement bro.. so think twice

2 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by markpenk: 1:35pm On Sep 16, 2016
This right here is the mother of all responses on this thread. helovesme, you are a very smart woman. They guy who loves you tongue is a lucky guy. babacares, this post -particularly the bolded parts- has addressed all the objections and misgivings you had. Go do all she's stated. 6m a year courtesy of a boss who really likes you, reduced expenses, plus the opportunity to spend more time with your family? I'd say it's a fantastic deal.
helovesme:
Contract job all the way.

The only down side is that you will miss out on perks such as housing allowance, maternity pay, holiday pay, sick pay, etc except their terms of the contract job is different which I doubt.

Most contract jobs do not come with perks and allowances which is why it's important you negotiate as best as you can for a very high pay.

No job is secured - both permanent and contract. A person could be a permanent staff and suddenly he is penned down for redundancy. Same with contract roles - you could get a call informing you that the contract is about to end. This is why you should go for the role that pays the highest. Besides, you've already stated that you are uncomfortable with the exit policy of your present employer which means the company offers no job security.

If you are good at what you do and you've built a professional network, you shouldn't struggle to move jobs. So if this role ends, you should easily get another job.

Since the contract role means you will be living with your family, you will end up spending less and saving more in the areas of commuting between two locations, maintaining a second home, etc.

4 Likes

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babatundepeter20: 1:50pm On Sep 16, 2016
Hmn, great thing to have options but the buck stops @ your door on this. Though, I have not worked formally, I believe you should make your decision yourself as the technical nature of your job is not stated (this is a major influence). However, you might consider the arguments:
FOR YOUR PRESENT JOB
I 'm more tilted towards this decision because the contract job is linked to a government agency with a 2 year duration. The question then is what next given the fact that at its expiration, there might be a new government in power which would result in cancellation of your contract.

FOR YOUR CONTRACT EMPLOYMENT OFFER
However, you might also want to consider the implications on your career as the contract employment could offer challenging opportunities that could make you more relevant after two years to probably take up an expanded role @ a private firm because distinguished work and contacts in government is highly rewarding aswell.

Summarily, just ask yourself, given my all in two years across both organisations, what would I achieve and is there a potential opportunity to move higher.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by dome777: 2:38pm On Sep 16, 2016
Whichever you go for, employers will pay you based on how much value they put on you. And employers only value employable candidates. Infact, you can be so good you will only want to work as contract staff because a lot of companies want you to join their team.... All this is in an ideal world sha!!!

But nevertheless, If you're looking for job and it seems you're not getting your desired job, ask yourself this question: Am I employable? To find out if your employable, visit - https://www.nairaland.com/3353048/employable

You can also check out www.SpotterHR.com, an online assessment platform that connects top candidates to top employers in Nigeria.

You can take a free assessment here to see how smart you really are: http:///2cw7d5L

1 Share

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by greatcrown: 2:56pm On Sep 16, 2016
helovesme:
Contract job all the way.

If you are good at what you do and you've built a professional network, you shouldn't struggle to move jobs. So if this role ends, you should easily get another job.

Since the contract role means you will be living with your family, you will end up spending less and saving more in the areas of commuting between two locations, maintaining a second home, etc.

This advice above is what you need.

I have been there. I graduated 2001. I have worked both contract and permanent and as noted above, no job is permanent.

Don't fool yourself. Go for the contract job and believe God that everything will be fine.

I wish you well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by helovesme(f): 3:03pm On Sep 16, 2016
markpenk:
This right here is the mother of all responses on this thread. helovesme, you are a very smart woman. They guy who loves you tongue is a lucky guy. babacares, this post -particularly the bolded parts- has addressed all the objections and misgivings you had. Go do all she's stated. 6m a year courtesy of a boss who really likes you, reduced expenses, plus the opportunity to spend more time with your family? I'd say it's a fantastic deal.

Heheheh. Ori mi wu oh.

Thanks for your kind words kiss

I have been in similar situation as the OP and I thank God for the day I handed in my resignation whilst at the permanent role. Best career decision ever grin cheesy

Paseus. Thanks kiss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? / " Oga At The Top" Shem Obafaiye Excels in His Core Job / 17 Funny Facts About Engineers: [MUST READ]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.