Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,897 members, 7,799,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job (29423 Views)

I Recently Lost My High Paying Job And I'm At A Crossroads On What To Do Next / Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by vbnn(m): 1:15am On Sep 17, 2016
Difference of 100k..I advice u stick to your current job...Thanx!!!
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by omonitemi1(m): 4:53am On Sep 17, 2016
hmmmmmm contract staff, if u really understand d meaning of contract u will never tink of accepting d offer.
I will advice you to stay where you are.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Burgerlomo: 5:01am On Sep 17, 2016
Go for the Contract job, and don't forget to create something solid on the side (investment)that is going to be giving you a steady income and that you can fall back on just in case if something happens, God forbid though wish you good luck
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by Suko110(m): 6:48am On Sep 17, 2016
Government and contract , what if they don't pay on time ? And mind you dat 6m won't b 6m after d contract cuz u must settle people after every installment , and it isn't guaranteed , just stick to your current job it's better off . I worked with a govt firm dat awards contracts and I Knw what contractors go through for payment . Peace
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by nuelyoyo(m): 7:19am On Sep 17, 2016
babacares:
Hello All,
I have to create this account for anonymous purpose because some of my colleagues are on NL. Here is my situation:

I just got a permanent job in Lagos with N4.8m/annum ( i had to relocate from where i was working before i resigned), i have been working in this environment for a little more than a month, i enjoy the environment, the people are friendly and willing to share knowledge and information, my 2 major issue with this office is their exit policy which got me scared and thinking of leaving before long.

I got another offer in another location where my family is based (iam married) for N6m/ per annum (net) through one of my former boss, he is putting pressure on me to accept the offer (he likes me alot while i was working with him), my issue with this job it, its a CONTRACT job (2 years and renewable) with a government parastatal, though he said they are most likely going to convert to permanent before the end of the 2 years.

Though i have not done contract job before, im kind of confused about it, and then the security of the job, etc. But the money/offer is tempting.
I just want your advise based on people with experience with contract jobs.

NOTE:
please dont mind my grammar
Thanks

Lala, mod please i need more comments
u said the exit clause of ur current job is scary, can shed more light on the exit clause? So as to know how to advice. Thanks.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by misterchris(m): 5:51pm On Sep 17, 2016
zikacyn23yahoo:
my opinion is that you assess your personal inclinations as per family, money and skills and where you do want your career future to settle.
If you are family inclined then move back closer to your family and this will reduce your expenditures and increase savings.
If its money then you know better where to go based on your cost benefit analysis
And finally if you have an idea of where your career should be in the future and one of these two options is in the right direction, then you can choose better. just do the needful. As someone have said earlier there is no job that is permanent.
Do you lick ice-cream.
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by misterchris(m): 5:58pm On Sep 17, 2016
speedyconnect3
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by speedyconnect3: 6:48pm On Sep 17, 2016
[quote author=misterchris post=49446052]speedyconnect3[/quotebro
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by being(m): 5:49pm On Sep 18, 2016
Take d contract- it's closer home

And it pays more as a bonus.

U resigned from ur former job and found two- why don't u believe u'll get a job before or after the contract. Moreso, it isn't totally uncertain that the contract won't be permanent. What's your profession?
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 9:01am On Sep 19, 2016
Peterosky:
My brother since you are hopeful that the contract job may turn permanent b4 the end of 2yrs,and your former boss who likes you so much is pressuring you to take the contract job which by my jugdement means well for you because of the love he has for you and for the overall reason that the contract job offers you the opportunity to be close to your family,i will humbly advise you to take up the contract job not because the money is bigger but because of the reasons explained above.

thanks for the advice bro
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 9:02am On Sep 19, 2016
flavorlyiced:
For me, permanent job all the way. You can't be too sure bout the contract stuff, yea with promises of renewal and conversion to permanent staff, who says? Such promises might not be fulfilled considering the current state of our economy.
The permanent job will enable you negotiate for another permanent slot else where..... My 2cent bro.
thanks for the advice
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 9:02am On Sep 19, 2016
ttime:
with a great investment plan on the bonus, u shouldnt be worried about loosing your employment after 2 years. you shld start saving for your own start-up. after all, some day, you will still have to be ''let-go'', as u cant work with them forever. earning N500,000 monthly net income for 2 yrs = 12,000,000... abegi.... even if they dont let u go, after 2 years, you should let yourself go as no job is really ''PERMANENT''. even permanent secretaries get retired eventually.
thanks for the advice
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 9:03am On Sep 19, 2016
vbnn:
Difference of 100k..I advice u stick to your current job...Thanx!!!

thanks for the advice
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 9:03am On Sep 19, 2016
omonitemi1:
hmmmmmm contract staff, if u really understand d meaning of contract u will never tink of accepting d offer.
I will advice you to stay where you are.
thanks for the advice
Suko110:
Government and contract , what if they don't pay on time ? And mind you dat 6m won't b 6m after d contract cuz u must settle people after every installment , and it isn't guaranteed , just stick to your current job it's better off . I worked with a govt firm dat awards contracts and I Knw what contractors go through for payment . Peace
thanks for the advice
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by babacares: 9:06am On Sep 19, 2016
nuelyoyo:
u said the exit clause of ur current job is scary, can shed more light on the exit clause? So as to know how to advice. Thanks.
thanks for the advice
Re: Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job by haibe(m): 2:58pm On Oct 17, 2016
Parisfran:
Most people even leave full time jobs after 2 years for fast promotion elsewhere. From the pay, there is an indication that you are an experienced staff and would most likely be able to get another job after 2 years. Try and also consider if relocating your family would be ideal at this time due to spouse commitments and kids school.

All the best.
hi please can u reply your pm?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? / " Oga At The Top" Shem Obafaiye Excels in His Core Job / Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.