Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta (20427 Views)

Burial Rites Of Thomas Osen Ekpemupolo, Tompolo's Father Have Commenced (Pics) / Tompolo's Father Battered, Leg Amputated / Photos Of Tompolo's Shrine And House In Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Islie: 6:18am On Sep 16, 2016
Senator Iroegbu with agency report

The death, last week of Chief Thomas Ekpemupolo, father of ex-militant leader, Government Ekpemupolo (Tompolo), is threatening the fragile peace in the Niger Delta, Reuters reported on Monday, saying militants were becoming restive over the circumstances of the death.

The militants massed in the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA), that had dealt heavy blows to oil and gas installations in the region, had entered into an unofficial ceasefire with the federal government, pending formal negotiations of their grievances last month.

But the death of the father of the militant leader, the report said, might reverse the little gains of the peace process and lead to the resumption of hostilities as the militants were said to be holding the military vicariously liable for the incident.

The octogenarian had fallen while fleeing an army raid on his hometown in May and injured his leg, which had to be amputated two months later, said a spokesman for his son, Tompolo.

The old man died last week from complications arising from the amputation. And the NDA militants were said to be agitated by this.

Although security sources said Tompolo had links to the NDA, which had claimed responsibilities for the attacks on oil and gas installations, which incidentally began shortly after corruption charges were brought against him, he had persistently denied any involvement in the acts.

“In a nutshell, [the] government caused the death of my father,” Frank Ekpemupolo, another son, said at a gathering of 400 mourners at his father’s compound in Warri, the largest city in Delta State.

Mourners including community chiefs, politicians and villagers accused troops of harassing people in the fishing communities dotted along the region’s waterways.

An Avengers spokesman told Reuters the military was “harassing poor people of the Niger Delta”. The military denies it, saying troops are merely searching for militants and criminals.

Several new militant groups have sprung up in the last few weeks, each with its own demands, and some have vowed to launch a new wave of attacks.

Community leaders say they are concerned that the government has not contacted militants or unveiled a negotiation team, three weeks after the Avengers said they were ready for the promised talks.

“We haven’t been contacted, but we are not worried,” said the Avengers spokesman.
Captain Mark Anthony, a spokesman for the Niger Delta Liberation Force, a defunct militant group, said the “government’s muteness” since the Avengers announced a ceasefire was creating “a security concern for everybody”.

“They have only stopped bombing temporarily. It doesn’t mean they are tired of bombing,” he said.
An army offensive was launched in late August against militant camps which led to the deaths of five people and the arrests of 23 others.

Eric Omare, spokesman for the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC), which represents one of the region’s largest ethnic groups, said statements by President Muhammadu Buhari that militants would be treated like Boko Haram jihadists prompted fears that the offer of talks was a ruse to prepare for a military onslaught.

Tensions in Warri are concentrated along its murky brown waterways — used by fishermen, commuters and thieves stealing crude oil — where fleeting encounters with strangers can end in bloodshed.

Boats slow down and their occupants raise their arms when they encounter naval patrol boats fitted with machine guns.

Fishermen say they fear being mistaken for militants and shot. Gunmen disguised as priests killed three soldiers last month.

An official who did not want to be named said “arrangements” were being made to resume dialogue with the militants.

He said the government wanted each militant group to send representatives, rather than acting through intermediaries as in the past.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/09/16/niger-delta-death-of-tompolos-father-threatens-ceasefire/

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by MILFangela(f): 6:23am On Sep 16, 2016
So?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by midolian(m): 6:24am On Sep 16, 2016
I just dey laff for here.

I see these adamant miscreant militants joining their ancestors soon.

If Tompolo cared so much about his father, why didn't he show up when he was being tortured by the military. Don't just know how these oyel drunk fools reason.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by KRILMIJAY(m): 6:24am On Sep 16, 2016
Lolz. Nonsense. they should continue then may be it will bring him back to life.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by eleko1: 6:30am On Sep 16, 2016
undecided sad undecided Persin nor go die again?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by MILFangela(f): 6:37am On Sep 16, 2016
midolian:

If Tompolo cared so much about his father, why didn't he show up when he was being tortured by the military.
Dont fall for this cheap lie. The old man was not tortured, he died of natural causes(old age)

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by EternalTruths: 6:38am On Sep 16, 2016
midolian:

I see the adamant miscreant militants joining their ancestors soon.

If Tompolo cared so much about his father, why didn't he show up when he was being tortured by the military.
I don't just know how these oyel drunk fools reason.

That is what your tribespeople told Buhari against the SE/SS people until their activities contributed to the Recession.

Hope you are enjoying the recession

Buhari should embrace dialogue like late Yar Adua. angry

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by midolian(m): 6:40am On Sep 16, 2016
MILFangela:
Dont fall for this cheap lie. The old man was not tortured, he died from natural cause(old age)
You should knw I can never fall for that. The word "tortured" in my comment's italicized which is for a reason the progressives will understand.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by midolian(m): 6:44am On Sep 16, 2016
EternalTruths:

That is what your tribespeople told Buhari against the SE/SS people until their activities contributed to the Recession.

Abeeegi, carry talk go meet market women. You guys always find it hard to make sense..could it be Military torture OR recession too?

15 Likes

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by CliffordOrji: 6:45am On Sep 16, 2016
EternalTruths:

Another igbo slave ready to defend his ijaw masters with SS/SE attache by force. SMH.
Is there anyone immune from the recession? The last time I checked, the Bayelsa state government has not payed her workers salary since November lsat here. I guess they are also enjoying the recession.

23 Likes

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by DerrickzB: 6:47am On Sep 16, 2016
All these people above me saying nonsense.... like d man's life wasn't worht anything to tompolo or his family.. is disheartening... so if ur father should die...u would say same thing abi... Smh... i still wonder why nigeria army would pick on an old.man.. only to.fish out d son.. it means they are not professionals in.their field. . Truth be told...tompolo has been very calm... for me.. with what he owns... half of buhari's people.would.have gone to oblivion... me self love my dad no be small.... rretard army..... Harassing innocent citizens... why don't they go into the creaks and fish out these saboteurs? ...

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Montaque(m): 6:53am On Sep 16, 2016
When we have tried all along to abolish third party arrest and arrest by proxy in Nigeria, here we have a situation where an elderly man was not only taken, but brutalised leading to his demise, for the alleged offence of his son, and our supposed enlightened youths are shouting "that serves him right".
I ve been against the militancy in the ND, cos I see the situation here as a fallout of a failed negotiation. However, I will never support the manhandling of a suspects relative just to get to him (or even to him), its clearly against the law.
We didn't learn from the BH case. And this tompolo's case was exactly was caused years of militancy in colombia especially that of the FARC, they are signing one peace deal after another but no end to the struggle.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by project8(m): 6:54am On Sep 16, 2016
This pple causing trouble to themselves and playing d victims card ...person call water bt he no gt umbrella

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Collenshy2020(m): 6:55am On Sep 16, 2016
this NDA set of guys aren't smiling, buh hopefully all this are sorted out amicably.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Nobody: 6:56am On Sep 16, 2016
Government is playing with fire...and expect not to sweat..
Dialogue and negotiate before its late..don't even know people that do advise bubu..
After the burial..if caution is not taken..things might look ugly..
We're all flesh and we do feel pain..the military is only there for intimidation and it's provocative.

As for those encouraging this show of bubu's power..na we all go hear am..dance am

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Izonpikin: 6:58am On Sep 16, 2016
midolian:

If Tompolo cared so much about his father, why didn't he show up when he was being tortured by the military. Don't just know how these oyel drunk fools reason.
u dey ya house dey type this thing abi..go gbaramatu go talk am or any other Ijaw village...

Slap go tear that ya face...

17 Likes

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by MILFangela(f): 7:04am On Sep 16, 2016
Izonpikin:
go gbaramatu go talk am or any other Ijaw village...
The NA were there already. You tell tompolo to come out and stop hidding inside a hole like a scared squirrel

12 Likes

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Izonpikin: 7:13am On Sep 16, 2016
MILFangela:
The NA were there already. You tell tompolo to come out and stop hidding inside a hole like a scared squirrel
so you think the NA is in all Ijaw villages?...hehehehe...I laugh you..

Why did the military kill the old man??...why?? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by RZArecta(m): 7:16am On Sep 16, 2016
midolian:
[s]I just dey laff for here.

If Tompolo cared so much about his father, why didn't he show up when he was being tortured by the military. Don't just know how these oyel drunk fools reason[/s].
sometimes just pretend to be intelligent

17 Likes

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by MILFangela(f): 7:17am On Sep 16, 2016
Izonpikin:
Why did the military kill the old man??...why?? undecided
Provide an evidence for this or forever remain damned

5 Likes

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Izonpikin: 7:19am On Sep 16, 2016
MILFangela:
Provide an evidence for this or forever remain damned
cheesy

You want evidence abi..i dey come..
Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by babyfaceafrica: 7:23am On Sep 16, 2016
Story
Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by eleko1: 7:41am On Sep 16, 2016
Their SUREBET nah Burutai and his Snakes wink sad.Dickson,mama Peace,Jona,Pa Clarke,ibori,Tompolo And other miserable thieves is their problem.They shud bomb them all undecided

1 Like

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by sanandreas(m): 7:43am On Sep 16, 2016
Definitely there won't be peace from what I am seeing. So many faction springing up on daily bases. For the death of that old man, they will surely avenge. America have the most equipped force in the world but they are always open for dialogue. Buhari started this crises in disguise all in the name of fighting corruption. We have loosed more than we have gained. There are people you let be and that is Tompolo. He is loved by his people dearly no matter the crime. The university should be reinstated. Nigeria is playing with fire and mind you it might turn to regional war. The world is watching us.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by RZArecta(m): 7:45am On Sep 16, 2016
You see those celebrating the death of an innocent man here just because they don't like the son, party affiliation, tribal differences and or religion. They're the parasites and shape shifters of this country who have never stood for anything good in their lives. Do I support militancy and criminality ? No. Do I support justice, equality and fair play ? Yes.

In modern tactical ops, the so called militants would have been located and surgically neutralized thereby limiting collateral damage but what do we have in Nigeria ? The FG sends soldiers to harass elderly villagers and arrest innocent school boys about to write JSCE.

When fóols celebrate such madness, we're not supposed to join but rather pity them. The confidence they have behind their keyboards will disappear when the reality of what evil they wish others visits them ten fold

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by RZArecta(m): 7:51am On Sep 16, 2016
sanandreas:
Definitely there won't be peace from what I am seeing. So many faction springing up on daily bases. For the death of that old man, they will surely avenge. America have the most equipped force in the world but they are always open for dialogue. Buhari started this crises in disguise all in the name of fighting corruption. We have loosed more than we have gained. There are people you let be and that is Tompolo. He is loved by his people dearly no matter the crime. The university should be reinstated. Nigeria is playing with fire and mind you it might turn to regional war. The world is watching us.
98-99% of those so called militant groups you say are "springing up" only exist on the internet. A fabrication of bloggers mostly and few of them agitating for third phase amnesty package. The NDA doesn't exist per se, it was set up for a specific purpose to wrestle power from Tompolo & other Ijaw strong men in Delta state then implicate them in criminal activities which breach the amnesty agreement signed which could lead to their arrest and incarceration.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by nabiz(m): 7:54am On Sep 16, 2016
midolian:

mmmm so the old man was tortured? If yes that means nigerian army the man
Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by sanandreas(m): 8:06am On Sep 16, 2016
RZArecta:
98-99% of those so called militant groups you say are "springing up" only exist on the internet. A fabrication of bloggers mostly and few of them agitating for third phase amnesty package. The NDA doesn't exist per se, it was set up for a specific purpose to wrestle power from Tompolo & other Ijaw strong men in Delta state then implicate them in criminal activities which breach the amnesty agreement signed which could lead to their arrest and incarceration.

Do we really need crisis when we are in recession? Peace is cheaper than war. Tompolo would never be arrested. Buhari is chasing shadows. Tompolo have given back to his community in terms of social responsibility than any other ex-militant leader. Buhari should sit down and seek wise decision. He has polarized Nigerians along tribal and religious lines by his actions and inactions. I always pray for peace for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by chigoizie7(m): 8:55am On Sep 16, 2016
midolian:

Let's assume he was actually tortured.

So, if ur younger brother who is of age(above 18) commits a crime, and u as the brother was arrested and tortured for a crime u didn't commit.

Nwanne, is that right?

Tompolo might be a fugitive, but his father still has his fundamental human rights, and it needs to be protected by the said government who is entrusted with the safety of its citizens.

If u think, that is a normal thing to do, may u be visited with such blows in near future.

9 Likes

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by MrDavidson: 9:13am On Sep 16, 2016
The death is unfortunate, but I see no hand of the military there. They were only doing their job. They couldn't have stopped people from running. And is Tompolo now beginning to know how sacred life is? When they drowned soldiers, where was their sense?

1 Like

Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Wadeoye(m): 9:15am On Sep 16, 2016
MILFangela:
Dont fall for this cheap lie. The old man was not tortured, he died of natural causes(old age)

Even if he was tortured, didn't he deserve it?
Re: Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta by abokibuhari: 9:15am On Sep 16, 2016
quote me when we get to zero production

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bithday Greetings: Tinubu To Appologise To Newspappers For Revenue Loss / Ayo Adebanjo Seeks Probe Of Tinubu's Source Of Wealth / 2019: The Real Reason Igbos ‘ll Massively Vote For Buhari – Orji Kalu Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.