Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,975 members, 7,799,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters (1036 Views)

Catalytic Converters Scraps / Consequences Of Failed Catalytic Converters / Car Tips: How To Troubleshoot Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters by Emperoh(m): 3:15pm On Sep 16, 2016
Gurus in the house,

I have been noticing of late, increasing cases of failed catalysts and clogged CCs of late. In fact i have witnessed 3 cases in the last three weeks or less. First time I experienced this was with my brother's 2003 VW Passat; in 2012. Unit almost caught fire on the highway.

Can we discuss this and find out possible causes and probably preventive maintenance techniques to adopt to prevent this.

One of the main causes i know is the poor quality fuel we use in Nigeria, which has very high lead content. The lead degrades the catalysts and also poisons most 02 sensors causing sensor failure.

But I do love to hear from the experts.

Gazzuzz, Kingreign, Piyke, Bravolad, Siena Cecegorz, Ikenna can we all jawjaw on this?
Re: Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters by fckmn24seg(m): 3:34pm On Sep 16, 2016
Waiting
Re: Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters by honmusa(m): 6:05pm On Sep 16, 2016
Emperoh:
Gurus in the house,

I have been noticing of late, increasing cases of failed catalysts and clogged CCs of late. In fact i have witnessed 3 cases in the last three weeks or less. First time I experienced this was with my brother's 2003 VW Passat; in 2012. Unit almost caught fire on the highway.

Can we discuss this and find out possible causes and probably preventive maintenance techniques to adopt to prevent this.

One of the main causes i know is the poor quality fuel we use in Nigeria, which has very high lead content. The lead degrades the catalysts and also poisons most 02 sensors causing sensor failure.

Gazzuzz, Kingreign, Piyke, Bravolad, Siena Cecegorz, Ikenna can we all jawjaw on this?
Anything issue or condition that will make your car to run too lean or too rich will definitely destroy your catalyst.
That is the essence why car manufacturer design your engine computer through the close loop strategy to always seeking to achieve stoic condition (14.7:1) which is the ideal condition to maintain your catalyst.
Which why we always advocate against running your fan direct and removing thermostat ,that crude practice will eventually destroy your catalyst as your are perpetually enriching your car mixture .
Average Nigerian car owners lack preventive maintance culture and only believe in changing of engine oil when due but will fail to perform routine tune-up which is part of preventive maintance e.g changing your spark plug when due,servicing your throttle body etc .Failure to do this regularly will make your car to run lean as well and this also will have cause serous issue for the catalyst.

1 Like

Re: Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters by luvinhubby(m): 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2016
honmusa:

Anything issue or condition that will make your car to run too lean or too rich will definitely destroy your catalyst.
That is the essence why car manufacturer design your engine computer through the close loop strategy to always seeking to achieve stoic condition (14.7:1) which is the ideal condition to maintain your catalyst.
Which why we always advocate against running your fan direct and removing thermostat ,that crude practice will eventually destroy your catalyst as your are perpetually enriching your car mixture .
Average Nigerian car owners lack preventive maintance culture and only believe in changing of engine oil when due but will fail to perform routine tune-up which is part of preventive maintance e.g changing your spark plug when due,servicing your throttle body etc .Failure to do this regularly will make your car to run lean as well and this also will have cause serous issue for the catalyst.

Noted.
Re: Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters by Piyke: 1:16pm On Sep 17, 2016
Emperoh:
Gurus in the house,

Thanks Honmusa for the lucid reply.

I just want to stress on the impact of running rich. If you have a flashing check engine light, its not something to ignore. A flashing CEL means a misfire so bad that unburned fuel in getting to the catalytic converter is occurring. The unburned fuel will raise the temperature of the CC above limits leading to melting of the internal honeycomb structure of the CC and subsequent blockage.

They are a couple other things that degrade CCs. I did a detailed post on sometime back; www.diyautoworksng.com/things-that-damage-catalytic-converters/
Re: Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters by Emperoh(m): 11:03pm On Sep 18, 2016
Well done guys.

But how bad is the effect of leaded fuel on the CC?
Re: Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters by mayor2013: 2:05am On Sep 19, 2016
One of the quickest way is through a misfire. A misfire on one or more cylinders of the car is very hazardous to the catalytic converter. Another practice comes from our road side panel beater their heating pattern. If you ask a panel beater to check if your CC is well intact rather than take the cat pot out he prefers to create a small hole on the side and use a tiny metal to confirm. This practice also causes a cat to go bad in time .

(1) (Reply)

Nissan Sentra 2004 Model Accessories needed / This Nissan GT-R Looks Like The Evil Cop Car From Transformers / Flood Drowning Bus With Passengers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.