Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,514 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice (1652 Views)

How To Avoid Hair Breakage When Transitioning To Natural Hair / Have You Tried Hair Wonder Natural hair oil on Your Hair? / How To Transition To Natural Hair Without The Big Chop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice by Neemcie(f): 6:19pm On Sep 16, 2016
Hello beautiful nairalanders..

My name is Neemah... and I just made a decision that took me exactly a year to resolve.
A LOT of ladies are transitioning to Virgin/natural hair from relaxed hair, some call it 'taking a big chop'. and I'm not left out! wink

I've always known myself with a relaxed hair. no thanks to the nature of my stubborn kinky hair and damned delicate scalp, and then, my my loath to making my hair, my mom was forced to relax my hair at a very young agesad

OKAY, LETS CUT TO THE CHASE...
The last time I relaxed my hair was in July this year. which means, I already have an inch long "undergrowth". I don't plan on bringing a scissor (or its likes) any close to my hair. I just want the relaxed hair to break off. I've heard of cowashing, conditioning, honey, natural oils, even Indian hemp. and I've read a lot of grammar on blogs. I just need something like a schedule, right amounts of the various natural oils to mix and apply. My hairline is receding toosad

So pleeeease, beautiful people, I need your help. Tips, tricks, advises, sermons, DIYs, anything. just. anything would do.

I'd be expecting your apt contributions.
Thank y'all!!
Re: Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice by udysweet(f): 8:21am On Sep 17, 2016
I like to too. So yes I'm following. Last retouched in may. Have issues wit dandruff in my case and then grey hairs,lol! I've dyed it and so its breaking off. I jus want to chop it off and start wit the new growth. So please suggestions are welcome please from those who have done theirs
kiss
Re: Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice by flakeStar: 8:27am On Sep 17, 2016
Congrats to both of you!

Try to take better care of your hair now using products designed specifically for natural hair e.g- Cantu
Also as much as possible slow down on the braids and apply dyes with caution- I have had natural hair for about 6yrs now and the only dye I have found safe is Hair Intensity with Olive Oil by Dark and Lovely
Re: Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice by Gracious18: 9:12am On Sep 17, 2016
Join dis group on facebook natural hair babes,it will help a lot.
Re: Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice by Neemcie(f): 12:45pm On Sep 17, 2016
flakeStar:
Congrats to both of you!

Try to take better care of your hair now using products designed specifically for natural hair e.g- Cantu
Also as much as possible slow down on the braids and apply dyes with caution- I have had natural hair for about 6yrs now and the only dye I have found safe is Hair Intensity with Olive Oil by Dark and Lovely
wow. six years is quite a long time. please can you let us in on your routine?
Re: Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice by flakeStar: 2:12pm On Sep 17, 2016
Glad to be of service smiley
I went through the braids phase too but I realised early that only Kinky braids worked for my hair type so I stuck with it.
Then I locked my hair about 4 years ago so I now have dreadlocks which are well past my shoulders now. I was my hair at least once a week and I condition each time.
I apply a whipped Shea butter mix I get in Ibadan to my hair daily; it helps keep my scalp itch free, my hair soft and under control. It also helps grow my hair and prevent my edges from receding
I used to relock every other week when my hair was shorter but now I can push for once in 6 weeks.
I love changing my hair color from time to time but I only use the Dark and Lovely Hair color
Re: Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice by Neemcie(f): 6:30pm On Sep 17, 2016
flakeStar:
Glad to be of service smiley
I went through the braids phase too but I realised early that only Kinky braids worked for my hair type so I stuck with it.
Then I locked my hair about 4 years ago so I now have dreadlocks which are well past my shoulders now. I was my hair at least once a week and I condition each time.
I apply a whipped Shea butter mix I get in Ibadan to my hair daily; it helps keep my scalp itch free, my hair soft and under control. It also helps grow my hair and prevent my edges from receding
I used to relock every other week when my hair was shorter but now I can push for once in 6 weeks.
I love changing my hair color from time to time but I only use the Dark and Lovely Hair color
okay, Shea butter. smiley thank you
Re: Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice by Neemcie(f): 6:32pm On Sep 17, 2016
udysweet:
I like to too. So yes I'm following. Last retouched in may. Have issues wit dandruff in my case and then grey hairs,lol! I've dyed it and so its breaking off. I jus want to chop it off and start wit the new growth. So please suggestions are welcome please from those who have done theirs
kiss
Nice to have a partner!
Re: Help! I'm Transitioning To Natural Hair. Please Advice by udysweet(f): 9:02pm On Sep 17, 2016
flakeStar:
Congrats to both of you!

Thanks so much for this. Will need to save up for the Cantu products as I see a lot of different stuff they have. About the dye, my 1st time in years I'm using dye and that's because all of a sudden, Grey hairs are sprouting everywhere, too much to ignore but I think with the dye I've caused more harm, lol. I want to summon courage to chop off the hair up to the undergrowth level then start all over. I can deal with the greyhair but dandruff is killing me. Wash hair today, two days later flakes upon flakes. I have tried all and sundry. Currently on my second bottle of apple cider vinegar, have my carribean black castor oil, have ori, coconut oil, Sulphur 8 cream and scalp spray for braids, have this oil for dandruff, and even bought a6pack bottle of tea tree and coconut oil mix. I'm not listing various shampoos and hair conditioner vs mayonnaise, lol. Maybe I'm not doing something right

(1) (Reply)

Skin Lightening Product: Clarins Bright Plus HP Brightening Hydrating Day Lotion / Vote For Me / Original Handless Push-up Bras For Exotic Outfits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.