Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? (8136 Views)

Third Mainland Suicide: The Woman At The Center Of The Story Speaks Out (Video) / When Robbers Attack You At ATM, Checkout This Escape Route / Kidnappers Abandon Victim As Truck Driver Blocks Their Escape Route (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Kayceenaz(m): 1:39pm On Sep 18, 2016
Coming to terms with the factuality of life as no bed of roses saves one a lot of energy, and prepares the mind to confront avoidable and unavoidable challenges headlong. Like I maintained some time ago, problems predominantly show up not necessarily to break you but to make you.The spate at which a good number of Nigerians, particularly youths questionably bring their lives to an end is worrisome and need be addressed. This trend is rapidly becoming fashionable among those that comprise the greater number of the national population, and it portends doom for the future of our society since the youths are the leaders of tomorrow. When these beacons of national hope subscribe to treating their God-given, sacred lives with levity, suffice it to say that the river has overflowed its bank.

Media headlines in recent times have been somewhat laced with heartbreaking news of this or that young man or woman that has hastened his or her demise. This leaves one bewildered, endevouring to grasp the rationale behind such ignoble actions. The reasons are usually far-fetched because no circumstance, no matter how dire, deserves to be responded by meting out the capital punishment to one's self. Just recently, it was reported that a certain Secondary School female student with child in Benue State committed suicide because her lover betrayed her trust by also impregnating another. Series of reports on how jilted lovers embraced the rope apparently in order to escape the pain of disappointment have been on the front burner for quite a long time.

Largely, this love factor has been responsible for the death of many virile Nigerians today, male and female alike. Perhaps, it necessitated the "successful" suicide attempts at the third mainland and FESTAC bridge in Lagos respectively. A significant element underlying the essence of love is harmlessness. It intends not to harm but to heal. If your expectation of the latter from the person on the other end is not met, you should read the handwriting on the wall. It does not warrant you to find succour in suicide, because of self-love. There are two kinds of love: Self-Love and Love for the Other. Self-love is the affection you show to yourself (which is connected to your self-esteem) while love for the other is the affection you show to another. And each is directly related with God's love which permeates them. The Divine injunction which instructs us to love our neighbour as ourself emphasizes the need to find a balance between both kinds of love. Overemphasizing or de-emphasizing one to the detriment of the other is out of place, and thinking otherwise explains the catalogue of self-caused deaths.

Can one who truly loves himself or herself opt for suicide because of demonstrated love that was not reciprocated? Absolutely not. A renowned French scholar, Albert Camus, also wrote off suicide and went on to recommend "Conscious revolt" which entails persisting when situations are resisting improvement, consciously envisaging hope, and colouring your life with happiness even when there is no obvious reason to be. Realising that disappointments are blocks with which an appointment is built furnishes you with a shock absorber that enables you to stay strong and be clearheaded. Resorting to utter loss of hope or suicide due to personal, interpersonal, economic, social, political, and other life-related challenges is not the best nor is it gallantry but rather cowardice. Only cowards give up when an aspect of their life moves backward, for quitters never win and winners never quit. Which side do you ought to belong? Decide right!

Kaycee Naze
(Rational Pen)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 13, 2017
Op, as one who had battled and overcame depression, i can confidently tell u that it is fallacious and grossly erroneous to think that sucidal persons are cowards. They are overwhelmed by emotional pain greater than their bearing capacity. Just like different materials have different breaking points when subjected to the same stress-load, so are people's mental stabilities. Once this equilibrium is lost, the breeding ground for suicide is cultivated and the evidence for this imbalance is mood swing. Op, when your spirit is truely broken, nothing in this life will seem to matter. Strength will only come when a superior source of strength comes to restore or enforce a new equilibrium.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Crauxx(m): 12:10pm On Apr 13, 2017
Not to talk of the sharp rise in suicide rate since buhari came in. Blame him. angry

Why person no go wan die for thus kin hardship,

But me I no wan die sha. I no stupid tongue

6 Likes

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by somito121(m): 12:10pm On Apr 13, 2017
too bad
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Crauxx(m): 12:10pm On Apr 13, 2017
Plenty things to do instead of suicide. Like rob a bank, Bleep till breathless, etc. No need to waste good life.

5 Likes

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by tstx(m): 12:10pm On Apr 13, 2017
Suicide is just one of the numerous

[url="http://listwand.com/2017/03/unbelievable-and-shocking-facts-about-nigeria-today/]unbelievable and shocking-facts about Nigeria today[/url]

its God that will help us

1 Like

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Zivaharry(m): 12:11pm On Apr 13, 2017
Nice piece

1 Like

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Suspect33(m): 12:11pm On Apr 13, 2017
suicide is a sure path to hell, dont trade temporary misery for eternal doom

4 Likes

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Gwan2(m): 12:11pm On Apr 13, 2017
Op though I applaud your intention of creating a topic as such, without any pinch of salt I will say it is quite shallow as it lacks any convincing reason to change the mind of a person about to commit suicide reading it.
Sometimes I wish I could go back to my school days to relive those periods I was so oblivious about economy challenges, periods I never bothered about how to get my meals because i know its someones responsibility, periods i knew my only work was to read and pass my exams. Ironically, I will only change just some few decisions I made if i had to relive my past years....
I give advice and encourage to anybody at any given opportunity, we as living beings have similar as well as different attributes, everyone have a level of shock he can contain., The only thing that can at-least keep him going when his innate fire is extinguish is encouragement from someone, hope insight or testimony from someone that had gone through similar circumstance.....that is why we should never pass up opportunities to encourage anyone at any given time....It could be life saving.
During my trying times, I tried virtually everything I could to no avail. I had to move from my base back to my father's house to stay under his roof again, what I had dreaded all my life. In-fact he was literally feeding me, giving me transport, buying toothpaste for me. I had no money, thought overwhelming me, pictures of my death mum who die during my nysc year staring me on my face because i knew she could had help me out, pictures of all my years of commitments and determination to become successful starring and laughing at me, intense feelings of despondency...thoughts of suicide...but I know I cant do it because of my family that had also gone through difficulties , cant compound their woes..the only son . The FEELINGS of pity for me was palpable on my father's face, friends and contemporaries having blissful careers, celebrating marriages, house warming parties and there i was still spoon fed. Dont get it twisted, i wasn't just sitting at home, during those periods I had traveled the length and breath of Nigeria, from Sokoto to lagos to kogi to edo etc trying my hand on all sort of legal things. At one time i resulted to smoking, drinking and even church for console. My brother is a long story, the idea is to make you know that a suicidal person might be well educated and enlightened than you could think.
I always advice people to try and discover their purpose for life, the day you discovered your purpose is the day you start living actually. For some people it takes days, for some it takes months, some it takes years while for some, they might never discover their purpose till they die. Once you dont discover your purpose most part of life will be frustrating and stressful, just like fixing a square peg in a round hole.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by adelakay(m): 12:11pm On Apr 13, 2017
its not the answer.. say no to suicide

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 13, 2017
Reading
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by nnadychuks(m): 12:12pm On Apr 13, 2017
Only cowards commit suicide

2 Likes

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 13, 2017
[s]Only cowards give up when an aspect of their life moves backward, for quitters never win and winners never quit.[/s]
Easy to say when you're not the one with the thoughts.

8 Likes

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by lovelyjay: 12:12pm On Apr 13, 2017
Mmmmm
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Suspect33(m): 12:13pm On Apr 13, 2017
if you hav'nt been depressed before, you'll think it's only stupid for one to take their own life, but still suicide is not the way

2 Likes

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by jreyez(m): 12:13pm On Apr 13, 2017
Sometimes life is just unfair!

1 Like

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by enedoboy(f): 12:13pm On Apr 13, 2017
too long op.. person wey go commit suicide go still commit suicide.. if u like write novel.

1 Like

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by idrisolaide(m): 12:15pm On Apr 13, 2017
Lemme quickly comment, then read later because this one na epistle.
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by DickTator1: 12:16pm On Apr 13, 2017
How come the spate of suicide has quadrupled?

The economy has no hand in it, no?
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by jahguide2268(m): 12:16pm On Apr 13, 2017
when d mind is afflicted, sucide becomes an option..... it is spiritual nt psychological. madness is spiritual, dnt let science deceive us. There are more to life dat beats d eye ' metaphysics'. A particular herb is knwn in d early century to drive out d sucide syndrome bt it is nt approved by d fuckin government... tink spiritual, go spiritual... d spiritual controls d physical......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Suspect33(m): 12:16pm On Apr 13, 2017
nnadychuks:
Only cowards commit suicide
dont be a foolish idiot, you think life is fair to everyone

1 Like

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by dovetark: 12:17pm On Apr 13, 2017
Hey, just before you take that step to end your life think about this... You alone are responsible for how you feel. Even after you do, life goes on. So what's the point really? The beauty of life remains it's mystery, through pain and gain you learn and get stronger. It's just a matter of time, you would get over that situation. It won't get worse than it already is so why not try? You didn't self-destruct when you were most fragile (a baby) why now when you have all it takes to survive?

I understand that a lot of people are going through a lot internally, its simple, if you can't deal with it any longer get help. It's not some thing you should be ashamed of because at the end of the day, you'd be glad you did.

More should be done with respect to mental health in Nigeria; Depression, neurological degeneration, and mental decline is a silent killer and would claim more lives if we don't start paying attention to how we feel on the inside.

A lot of people are good at masking how they feel and even on social media, you think they have the best of lives going. It takes a lot of inquiry before you find out what's really going on.

Dear friends be kind to one another, watch what you say cause not every one has the capacity to take the shock of hurt and above all show love. God bless.

3 Likes

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Suspect33(m): 12:17pm On Apr 13, 2017
with all i've gone through in life, i dont dread death anymore, but suicide is no option
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Apr 13, 2017
We are all different and deal with things differently for me Id chug down some whiskey till I feel better
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by DONSMITH123(m): 12:20pm On Apr 13, 2017
ok
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by emu22(m): 12:21pm On Apr 13, 2017
Depression is not something anybody should go through, if you don't have a strong spirit You can't survive certain experience, that's why am of the opinion that experience is not the best teacher because not everybody can survive some terrible experience, everybody strength no be d same.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Except Premature Death This Is What Cultist Are Enjoying PHOTOS / Police Arrest Suspected Armed Robber In Kaduna, Recover Multiple ATM Cards / Massive Fight Breaks Out Between Rival Runs Girls Over Territory In Awka (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.