Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,188 members, 7,780,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:07 PM

Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated (10404 Views)

2017 Generation Of Programmers - What Languages Are You Using? / Let's Be Honest Php Sucks When Building Enterprise Applications / Categories Of Programmers (by Areas Of Expertise) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by VenantCode(m): 12:21pm On Sep 22, 2016
dueal:
Don't classify yourself a programmer if;
1: All you know is the intricacies of a programming language.

2: You have never ventured into any other area but UI's.

3: You don't understand what a tree data structure is and how it relates to a computer file system.

4: Efficiency sounds like an old movie

5: You hate books.

6: The only apps you've ever made happen to only be web related calling upon an sql database.(no offense here)

My thoughts
Hi, I do agree with you 1-5 point, especially 1 because i believe the focus is supposed to be on good architectures and design patterns, but your 6th point of web developers not being programmers is from a limited view. Though i don't deem myself as having arrived but at least I'm working to get better everyday, Take example of a project that I'm working on, it's web based, app that has to do with video streaming which includes a lot of things, some part has to be written in erlang and Go for concurrency issues, I have to extend a queueing system such as RabbitMQ, the app consist of various microservices built in Nodejs talking to themselves. I have to write various algorithms to test the internet capacity of the client and then stream the video resolution as required, adequately handle buffering and many more things which i can't go into detail here.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 22, 2016
VenantCode:
Hi, I do agree with you 1-5 point, especially 1 because i believe the focus is supposed to be on good architectures and design patterns, but your 6th point of web developers not being programmers is from a limited view. Though i don't deem myself as having arrived but at least I'm working to get better everyday, Take example of a project that I'm working on, it's web based, app that has to do with video streaming which includes a lot of things, some part has to be written in erlang and Go for concurrency issues, I have to extend a queueing system such as RabbitMQ, the app consist of various microservices built in Nodejs talking to themselves. I have to write various algorithms to test the internet capacity of the client and then stream the video resolution as required, adequately handle buffering and many more things which i can't go into detail here.

Maybe he meant to say "web-designers", cause, they aren't programmers.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by talk2hb1(m): 12:59pm On Sep 22, 2016
satmaniac:

BELOW IS THE SOURCE OF MY WAILING:

There is these codes that refuses to do what I think I commanded it to do. I have been on this codes for about three weeks now, doing all manner of things, including the illogical and crazy things, I even went spiritual(joking). The codes were written to insert some values gotten from the form fields into a table in the database. For some reasons unknown to me the codes didn't work as envisaged. The worst thing is no error is printed on the browser's page.

In order to debug the code, I put the where I run the SQL insert into an if-else statement(if(mysqli_query($product_insert))), but, the codes in the else block run only.

Below is the php codes:

<?php

if(isset($_POST['insert_post'])){

$product_title = $_POST['product_title'];
$product_types = $_POST['product_types'];
$product_brand = $_POST['product_brand'];
$product_size = $_POST['product_size'];
$product_price = $_POST['product_price'];
$product_desc = $_POST['product_desc'];
$product_keywords = $_POST['product_keywords'];

$product_image = $_FILES['product_image']['name'];
$product_image_tmp = $_FILES['product_image']['tmp_name'];

move_uploaded_file($product_image_tmp,'product_images/$product_image');

$insert_product = "INSERT INTO product(product_title,product_types,product_brand,product_size,product_price,product_desc,product_keywords,product_image) VALUES
('$product_title', '$product_types', '$product_brand', '$product_size', '$product_price', '$product_desc', '$product_keywords', '$product_image',)";
$insert_pro_query = mysqli_query($con, $insert_product);
if($insert_product){

echo "<script>alert('Product has been inserted')</script>";

echo "<script>window.open('insert_product.php', 'self')</script>";
}else{
echo 'not inserted';
}
}

?>

Help please larisoft, Dhtml18, Danielthegeek, SEUNTHOMAS, etc
If this is your production code, you playing with sql injection security. Big time, try escape tbe posted data with mysql_real_escape_string()
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by dueal(m): 1:54pm On Sep 22, 2016
VenantCode:

A key point of #6 is; happen to ONLY be web related CALLING upon an sql database.

Somehow, someone missed that.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by VenantCode(m): 2:30pm On Sep 22, 2016
dueal:

A key point of #6 is; happen to ONLY be web related CALLING upon an sql database.

Somehow, someone missed that.
details such as user profiles, geospatial data and statistics information are stored in a database

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by dueal(m): 2:38pm On Sep 22, 2016
VenantCode:
details such as user profiles, geospatial data and statistics information are stored in a database

Among the other things your project is about. Folks I refer to are the...Hey, here's a form, fill it, submit and query back.

Hope that's clearer now.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by VenantCode(m): 3:22pm On Sep 22, 2016
dueal:

Among the other things your project is about. Folks I refer to are the...Hey, here's a form, fill it, submit and query back.

Hope that's clearer now.
Yeah
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 22, 2016
dueal:

Hope that's clearer now.

Yeah, I understand better
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by satmaniac(m): 12:38am On Sep 23, 2016
talk2hb1:

If this is your production code, you playing with sql injection security. Big time, try escape tbe posted data with mysql_real_escape_string()

No it is not.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by satmaniac(m): 12:43am On Sep 23, 2016
teampregar:
$insert_product = "INSERT INTO product(product_title,product_types,product_brand,product_size,product_price,product_desc,product_keywords,product_image) VALUES
('$product_title', '$product_types', '$product_brand', '$product_size', '$product_price', '$product_desc', '$product_keywords', '$product_image',)";
$insert_pro_query = mysqli_query($con, $insert_product);
if($insert_product){}

The problem is that u are using a string ($insert_product) as an expression .. U are supposed to be using the variable($insert_pro_query) which u assigned to the mysqli_query function as the expression..
it is supposed to be:
if ($insert_pro_query) {
/Codes here
}

When u do this then the codes in the if block will execute if the data was inserted into the database...

Thanks I corrected it and it is still not inserting.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by satmaniac(m): 12:45am On Sep 23, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Any variable enclosed in single quotes will be parsed as a string, don't have time to help you debug but fix this line: (there could be other errors)

move_uploaded_file($product_image_tmp,'product_images/$
product_image');

TO

move_uploaded_file($product_image_tmp,"product_images/$
product_image"wink;

Thanks. I have done what you said but it couldn't work.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 23, 2016
satmaniac:

Thanks. I have done what you said but it couldn't work.

That means you have more technical errors, are you sure your tables in the database matches the one in the script?

Also data won't enter the database if the datatype being passed doesn't match the expected one for instance passing a boolean into a datetime field or if NULL is set to NO by default in this case data will not enter the db IF the field is null.

Try uploading a screenshot or share the details of the error you got when you executed the script as many many things could be wrong and may not even be from those particular lines of code you shared.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Edoziesmart(m): 2:09pm On Sep 23, 2016
dueal:
Don't classify yourself a programmer if;
1: All you know is the intricacies of a programming language.

2: You have never ventured into any other area but UI's.

3: You don't understand what a tree data structure is and how it relates to a computer file system.

4: Efficiency sounds like an old movie

5: You hate books.

6: The only apps you've ever made happen to only be web related calling upon an sql database.(no offense here)

My thoughts
You've spoken well dude.
But i have ish with understanding the number 4.
Throw more light on it
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by dueal(m): 7:29pm On Sep 23, 2016
Edoziesmart:
You've spoken well dude.
But i have ish with understanding the number 4.
Throw more light on it

#4. Efficiency sounds like an old movie.

I have heard people who write "minimal" programs say things like; My program will run on the latest multicore CPU and have Gigabytes of RAM to play with so it should run efficiently and I can worry less.

The thing is, the more capable our computer systems get the much more things we will dream up to accomplish with them.

The thing is, even on x-core systems your program instructions don't always execute in one CPU clock cycle...some take as much as 30 cycles to finish. Add to that your CPU+L1+Lx cache and system memory reads and you now have less power than you thought.

The more you understand your choice of programming language, it's memory model, and the things your APIs do to ease development the more likely you are to create programs that can service millions of users concurrently.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by satmaniac(m): 12:38am On Sep 24, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

That means you have more technical errors, are you sure your tables in the database matches the one in the script?

Also data won't enter the database if the datatype being passed doesn't match the expected one for instance passing a boolean into a datetime field or if NULL is set to NO by default in this case data will not enter the db IF the field is null.

Try uploading a screenshot or share the details of the error you got when you executed the script as many many things could be wrong and may not even be from those particular lines of code you shared.

The thing is, there is no error shown when I tried running the codes, the page displayed is blank. I have learnt somethings from this comment. I will check the database to see if I violated the issues you raised in your comment. Even though, eventually I did not get the solution to this problem, trust me I am learning a lot from you guys contributions. Thanks boss.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by FincoApps(m): 6:36am On Sep 24, 2016
satmaniac:

The thing is, there is no error shown when I tried running the codes, the page displayed is blank. I have learnt somethings from this comment. I will check the database to see if I violated the issues you raised in your comment. Even though, eventually I did not get the solution to this problem, trust me I am learning a lot from you guys contributions. Thanks boss.

Is the page completely blank or it's showing "Not inserted" ?

If it shows "Not inserted", try to echo mysqli_error($con) to see the last error that occurred
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by satmaniac(m): 1:17am On Sep 26, 2016
FincoApps:

Is the page completely blank or it's showing "Not inserted" ?

If it shows "Not inserted", try to echo mysqli_error($con) to see the last error that occurred

Yes, it was blank, but, I was able to figure the problem out. It was the comma I added in the SQL, I added it after the last variable, in the parentheses after VALUES.

Thank you all for your attention.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 26, 2016
satmaniac:

Yes, it was blank, but, I was able to figure the problem out. It was the comma I added in the SQL, I added it after the last variable, in the parentheses after VALUES.

That's how a languages can Fu** you up, just a single comma. I hit myself sometimes when I make such mistakes.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 26, 2016
satmaniac:

That's how a language can Fu** you up, just a single comma. I hit myself sometimes when I make such mistakes.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 27, 2016
Get your US Google Adsense with your site and get fully approved for as low as 4k.
1) You must have a custom domain e.g .com, .net, .ng or no matter what the domain end with or the extension.

2) The age of your site does not matter.

3) Don't worry even though you applied before using your site and get disapproved, you are still eligible for this offer.

4) If you don't have these requirements above you are still eligible of buying from us.

And also we also sell already approved Google Adsense account using our professional website as low as 5k.

Note-: These are all Non-Hosted Google Adsense account which works on all websites, domains, including games and softwares.

Join our Google Adsense/Webmaster Group on WhatsApp through the provided invite link below:

https:///20hSNo1YdktAjwKWfnj0Zo

You can also contact us via Email at
generalomosco@gmail.com

Here is my WhatsApp number for private chat-: +2348104386801
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by seunthomas: 9:25am On Sep 27, 2016
We actually have a good number of programmers in this country. I know so many. The thing is programmers tend to associate at their level. So if you have been coding for long, most likely you will find yourself in the midst of people who have been coding that long. As for if the numbers are exaggerated, i would say we have a ratio of 1/10000 very good programmers who are Nigerians. This is just a guess but i believe awareness about programming has become more rampant in the last 5 years. The future belongs to us. Don't be surprised if big companies from silicon valley start coming to shop for talents in Nigeria. Already we have a very large presence outside Nigeria but the internal workforce is growing.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 27, 2016
seunthomas:
We actually have a good number of programmers in this country. I know so many. The thing is programmers tend to associate at their level. So if you have been coding for long, most likely you will find yourself in the midst of people who have been coding that long. As for if the numbers are exaggerated, i would say we have a ratio of 1/10000 very good programmers who are Nigerians. This is just a guess but i believe awareness about programming has become more rampant in the last 5 years. The future belongs to us. Don't be surprised if big companies from silicon valley start coming to shop for talents in Nigeria. Already we have a very large presence outside Nigeria but the internal workforce is growing.
Daddy, the future belongs to your children.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by seunthomas: 10:07am On Sep 27, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Go tell Gosling that one. He is over 50 and his still active in openjdk. I never even reach half him age so i still get plenty fuel.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 27, 2016
seunthomas:

Go tell Gosling that one. He is over 50 and his still active in openjdk. I never even reach half him age so i still get plenty fuel.

He is 61, cool.. So you aren't up to 30, somewhere around 25 and 30..interesting.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by seunthomas: 10:15am On Sep 27, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

He is 61, cool.. So you aren't up to 30, somewhere around 25 and 30..interesting.
Am in my early 30's. But who that one epp? But i like the fact that you took time to check his real age. Most people who have just stood at the assumption and started fight again. lol.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by satmaniac(m): 8:46pm On Sep 27, 2016
Especially when you check the code from beginning to end, even check it character by character and yet you couldn't still know what is wrong. That is when you start thinking spiritual things.......Don't be surprised, if you see people coding in the church, mosques and shrines ooo.
DanielTheGeek:

That's how a language can Fu** you up, just a single comma. I hit myself sometimes when I make such mistakes.

6 Likes

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by KvnqPrezo(m): 8:49pm On Sep 27, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

L0l y0u wicked 000
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by KvnqPrezo(m): 8:51pm On Sep 27, 2016
seunthomas:

Like seriously??
I thought you are up to 50yrs (I'm not joking)
Since you have been programming for 18yrs then I assumed you were 18yrs or 20yrs when you started..

2 Likes

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by seunthomas: 9:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
KvnqPrezo:

Like seriously??
I thought you are up to 50yrs (I'm not joking)
Since you have been programming for 18yrs then I assumed you were 18yrs or 20yrs when you started..
I started programming quite young,wish i started younger like 10 yrs old. A lesson for you to be dilligent and be appreciative of those ahead of you.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by KvnqPrezo(m): 9:12pm On Sep 27, 2016
seunthomas:

I started programming quite young,wish i started younger like 10 yrs old. A lesson for you to be dilligent and be appreciative of those ahead of you.
Lol wish I started more earlier... Lol I appreciate people ahead but it seems like you learnt mostly from university..
Because you're good in objective (I saw your thread about security stuff)
I haven't seen your code tho!

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by seunthomas: 9:21pm On Sep 27, 2016
KvnqPrezo:

Lol wish I started more earlier... Lol I appreciate people ahead but it seems like you learnt mostly from university..
Because you're good in objective (I saw your thread about security stuff)
I haven't seen your code tho!
I dont have a degree in computer science but i do have a degree. And am not just good in concept or objective as you called it, i am very sound in writing code too.
In programming you learn the abstract first and then you can go into writing code, if you are not good with concepts, you will only write poor code.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by KvnqPrezo(m): 9:25pm On Sep 27, 2016
seunthomas:

I dont have a degree in computer science but i do have a degree. And am not just good in concept or objective as you called it, i am very sound in writing code too.
In programming you learn the abstract first and then you can go into writing code, if you are not good with concepts, you will only write poor code.
I have a question shaaa

Between computer science and engineering which is better..( I'm going to school soon)

I really wanna be the next bad coder!
But people say computer science don't worth it...

What's your view?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Decagon Worth It? / HTML5 A Programming Language Or Not / Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.