Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,867 members, 7,806,464 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria (20176 Views)

Police & 5-man Judicial Commission Meet Ooni Of Ife Over Yoruba/Hausa Clash(pics / Yemi Osinbajo Swears In Onnoghen As CJN (Photos) / Buhari Swears In Onnoghen As Acting Chief Justice Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by mmb(m): 7:32am On Sep 19, 2016
ABUJA – The Federal Judicial Service Commission, FJSC, has okayed Justice Walter Nkanu Onnoghen as the next Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN.

Onnoghen who is presently the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court, was nominated by the judicial body to take over from the current CJN, Justice Mahmud Mohammed who will step down on November 10, upon clocking the 70 years mandatory retirement age.

Meanwhile, the FJSC, last week, forwarded Justice Onnoghen’s name to the National Judicial Council, NJC, which will in turn, forward same to President Muhammadu Buhari.

Though section 231(1) of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, conferred on President Buhari the power to appoint a CJN on the recommendation of the NJC, it however stressed that such appointment must be subject to confirmation by the Senate.

According to section 231(3), “A person shall not be qualified to hold the office of the CJN or of a Justice of the Supreme Court, unless he is qualified to practise as a legal practitioner in Nigeria and had been so qualified for a period of not less than fifteen years”.

If President Buhari approves Onnoghen who hails from Cross-River State as the 17th CJN, he will become the first Southern jurist to head the judiciary in about 29 years.

Onnoghen will clock 70 on December 20, 2020.
Remarkably, Justice Ayo Gabriel Irikefe who retired in 1987 was the last Southern CJN.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/fjsc-okays-onnoghen-next-cjn/

2 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 19, 2016
Congratulations to the incoming CJN. May his tenure mark a turn around in our justice system.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 19, 2016
if this learned man becomes the CJN it wud b a plus for us the southerners.dou he is d 2nd sha from d south.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 19, 2016
bejeiodus:
Congratulations to the incoming CJN. May his tenure mark a turn around in our justice system.
baba mi I u sharp ooo...u ion buy dah land bah? no problem na...lolz
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by kutchs: 8:11am On Sep 19, 2016
Let's see what the bigot at Aso Rock does.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by bonechamberlain(m): 8:13am On Sep 19, 2016
Thats if buhari the northern bigot accepts.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by kahal29: 8:46am On Sep 19, 2016
Cross River again.. .. This Government is really paying them well. Head of Service... .. Cross River, NDDC Chairman Cross River.. .. .. . Chief of Naval Staff.. ... Cross River and now CJN with others... Cross River I hail una

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by CACAWA(m): 8:52am On Sep 19, 2016
op
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by mmb(m): 11:00am On Sep 19, 2016
kahal29:
Cross River again.. .. This Government is really paying them well. Head of Service... .. Cross River, NDDC Chairman Cross River.. .. .. . Chief of Naval Staff.. ... Cross River and now CJN with others... Cross River I hail una
Remember, Governor Ayade is Buhari's friend.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by AfroBlue(m): 11:46am On Sep 19, 2016
may the new chief justice and judiciary implement the next stage of the hard work of the EFCC and do what is necessary with the looters!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by mbhs139(m): 11:52am On Sep 19, 2016
kahal29:

mmb:

Does it matter from which region the CJN hails from in the temple of Justice...? I don't think so, it doesn't really matter, because a CJN does not do the bidding of anybody.

3 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 19, 2016
remiiko:
baba mi I u sharp ooo...u ion buy dah land bah? no problem na...lolz
[size=15pt] what is this,, please who can read this for me? undecided [/size]

2 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by salabscholar01(m): 1:56pm On Sep 19, 2016
ok
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by jaybee3(m): 1:56pm On Sep 19, 2016
kahal29:

I guess it's inconsequential that the Judge is currently the most Senior hence the deserved hierarchical elevation?

Geez

12 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Princeojua(m): 1:57pm On Sep 19, 2016
It is something we deserve over the West, East and North.
You guys read where it was said that he is the most Senior. Cross Riverians, who rock it like us?

3 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by obailala(m): 1:57pm On Sep 19, 2016
kahal29:
mmb:
Lol... una don come again

3 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Dottore: 1:57pm On Sep 19, 2016
It's a well deserved honour. Congratulations sir. Let's hope presido doesn't hinkle otherwise
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by ANBAKO: 1:58pm On Sep 19, 2016
Good development!!! Hopefully this will curb the rot in the judiciary. The likes of Justice Akpan and co giving contradicting ruling ...Let pray that there will be end to politics and independence of the judiciary arm of government.
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by ANBAKO: 1:59pm On Sep 19, 2016
kahal29:

If he appoints Northerner....you will still shout

We Nigerians are insatiable.

11 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by sarrki(m): 2:04pm On Sep 19, 2016
Automatically he his

Cross Rivers are wonderful people

4 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by kings09(m): 2:10pm On Sep 19, 2016
Ok. Dat means his first earning as new CJN will be to collect 'appointment allowance' b4 he ll start collecting 'hardship allowance' like buhari
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by kings09(m): 2:11pm On Sep 19, 2016
Indd wen they r all d same
bejeiodus:
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Josmila(m): 2:16pm On Sep 19, 2016
mmb:

Would you rather they're enemies? #JustAsking
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by samuelchimmy(m): 2:19pm On Sep 19, 2016
congrats, hope he doesn't die before the real thing,....... don't say I didn't say it
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by gamargu(m): 2:21pm On Sep 19, 2016
look at the way everyone is commending the guy and the federal government because he is the most senior and he is a southerner. if the guy was from the north and he happens to be the most senior dem bastards will come here and start talking crap.

10 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by babyfaceafrica: 2:22pm On Sep 19, 2016
Some people are sad...hehehehe

2 Likes

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by teehay45(m): 2:23pm On Sep 19, 2016
Congratulations to the incoming CJN
I hope he is gonna revive our comatose judiciary system
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by samuelchimmy(m): 2:24pm On Sep 19, 2016
congrats, hope he doesn't die before the real thing,....... don't say I didn't say....
Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by lakesider(m): 2:32pm On Sep 19, 2016
Stupid people won't remember he is nt a northerner

1 Like

Re: Judicial Commission Okays Onnoghen As Next Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Samtob90(m): 2:33pm On Sep 19, 2016
mmb:

Is it being a friend of Ayade that makes him the most superior and qualified to be appointed? Don't worry, we will advise Buhari to veto the appointment to south west

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019 Presidency: PDP To Drop Aspirants With Graft Cases - Daily Sun / 'You Are Drowning Politically' - Oshiomhole Replies Saraki / Orubebe Dumps PDP For APC Via Twitter (For Real Or Was His Twitter Hacked?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.