Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,962 members, 7,803,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward (2961 Views)

Sold Foreign USED Toyota Corrola 2005 With Vin Report. Sold / Neat And Well Used Toyota Corrola / Neatly Used Toyota Corrola 390k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by GetUmad: 4:55pm On Sep 19, 2016
Dear Gurus in the house,

Pls I need some clarifications on this craze about Toyota corolla (1. 8 ) esp 03- 06 models.

Nigerians believe that particular brand and model of vehicle consumes less fuel compared to other vehicles in its class, hence its now so so expensive. A clean Toyota corrola (03-05) model is now costlier than some SUVS.

Pls, I need the Car gurus on this forum to enlighten more on car and fuel consumptions.

Which other vehicles out there do you think one could consider as (better) alternative(s) to this corolla in terms of FUEL ECONOMY AND ease of MAINTENANCE on Nigerian roads.

This would help some of us to make an informed decision when hunting for one.

This does not of course exclude other Car users who can share their experience on good fuel economy of their brand of cars.

Thanks in advance.

Can this be pushed to frontpage. Really want to get more enlightened opinions.

Lalasticlala

Password; snake, python

4 Likes

Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by pafra(m): 5:09pm On Sep 19, 2016
the fact is that you hardly get a clean one even in cotonou. when you finally pick one the price is something else.

2 Likes

Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by GetUmad: 5:16pm On Sep 19, 2016
pafra:
the fact is that you hardly get a clean one even in cotonou. when you finally pick one the price is something else.

My sentiment exactly!

Dealers in the country are smiling to bank with this particular vehicle, while some of them are selling a refurbished accidented as a first grade.
The car is so hotcake now that hardly would you get to any showroom and you'd see a first grade without neck_breaking amount tagged to it.
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by stjsd(m): 5:18pm On Sep 19, 2016

1 Like

Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by stjsd(m): 5:18pm On Sep 19, 2016

1 Like

Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by GetUmad: 5:23pm On Sep 19, 2016
stjsd:
Toyota is overhyped in Nigeria Bro. Go for mazda n u will be forever greatful of my little advice from 323f, mazda 3, n mazda 6

Pls do you mind sharing the pix and the experience.
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by stjsd(m): 6:16pm On Sep 19, 2016
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by GetUmad: 6:33pm On Sep 19, 2016
stjsd:
aqqq
Attached is d type am currently using, n when it comes to fuel economy is far better compare to toyota corolla cause I also use my dad own as well

Wow, very neat. Guess you just bought it.

You can imagine this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3299679/neat-2004-4runner-1.200m for an SUV with price lower than that of corrola same year. Saw a guy advertising a corrola on this section for 1.530m.

How is the second-hand ( third-hand at this junction since its tokunbo) value of this car and like how much does it go for presently.
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by stjsd(m): 6:40pm On Sep 19, 2016

1 Like

Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by Majoroperation: 6:47pm On Sep 19, 2016
stjsd:

I think is 900k now full option . If u gat cash at hand u can go for mazda3

@Getumad
Forget Mazda3
Reason no good resell value

4 Likes

Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by vivalaurel(m): 7:23pm On Sep 19, 2016
The 03-07 corolla is not expensive in Nigeria alone,even in the US the resale value is very high.It is not the best car around but does everything well and therefore appeal to an average Nigerian. Its fuel economy is superb,it is elegant,the engine is pretty basic(no unnecessary gizmos to give wahala when they breakdown), parts are relatively cheap(toks o), it is fast(at least for an average joe) and hardly breaks down. I have friends who have been using theirs for over 5 years and are reluctant to upgrade. I av only used mine for 16months and its been a wonderful experience (I only visit filling stations twice a month unless I go on a very long journey) and changed d front hub(cos of noisy wheel bearing).Go for it if u can afford it Op.

5 Likes

Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by GetUmad: 7:30pm On Sep 19, 2016
Majoroperation:

@Getumad
Forget Mazda3
Reason no good resell value

Hmmm, I think you've got a point. I guess that's one of the reasons Toyota is so costly. Easy to resell with lil' or no loss.
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by USAutoBuy(m): 7:35pm On Sep 19, 2016
This Corolla is in a class of its own. The reason is that buyers of this car spans several age category. Single Young chaps on the come up love it. Young family (1- 3kids). Single female, married female, older people etc.

It "fits" into just any category of family structure you can think of hence the higher demand. And the resale value is fantastic. People that paid about N1.3m about 2 yrs ago are now asking N1.1m-1.2m to sell used! and they are getting at least N1m

Fuel consumption is EXCELLENT!. Better than Camry

Its what it is. the market dictates. Close eye and buy if u can afford it

3 Likes

Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by GetUmad: 7:36pm On Sep 19, 2016
vivalaurel:
The 03-07 corolla is not expensive in Nigeria alone,even in the US the resale value is very high.It is not the best car around but does everything well and therefore appeal to an average Nigerian. Its fuel economy is superb,it is elegant,the engine is pretty basic(no unnecessary gizmos to give wahala when they breakdown), parts are relatively cheap(toks o), it is fast(at least for an average joe) and hardly breaks down. I have friends who have been using theirs for over 5 years and are reluctant to upgrade. I av only used mine for 16months and its been a wonderful experience (I only visit filling stations twice a month unless I go on a very long journey) and changed d front hub(cos of noisy wheel bearing).Go for it if u can afford it Op.
So educative. Nice one.... But let me ask you, have you used Kia or hyundia before [pre-07 models] ? Do you think they are any different in terms of fuel economy, speed and maintenance?
I actually have d manual corolla, wanting to get the auto for my wife cos I like it but I'm not finding the price funny. Thinking of finding her an alternative esp in the class of Kia.
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by GetUmad: 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2016
Double post
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by GetUmad: 7:46pm On Sep 19, 2016
USAutoBuy:
This Corolla is in a class of its own. The reason is that buyers of this car spans several age category. Single Young chaps on the come up love it. Young family (1- 3kids). Single female, married female, older people etc.

It "fits" into just any category of family structure you can think of hence the higher demand. And the resale value is fantastic. People that paid about N1.3m about 2 yrs ago are now asking N1.1m-1.2m to sell used! and they are getting at least N1m

Fuel consumption is EXCELLENT!. Better than Camry

Its what it is. the market dictates. Close eye and buy if u can afford it

Word! Apt and e make so much brain
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by vivalaurel(m): 9:05pm On Sep 19, 2016
GetUmad:

So educative. Nice one.... But let me ask you, have you used Kia or hyundia before [pre-07 models] ? Do you think they are any different in terms of fuel economy, speed and maintenance?
I actually have d manual corolla, wanting to get the auto for my wife cos I like it but I'm not finding the price funny. Thinking of finding her an alternative esp in the class of Kia.
I used a '97 kia sportage for 4yrs before the corolla, it served me well too but fuel economy is not so good and availability of spare parts could be an issue(unless you stay in Lagos), I had to get to another town just to get brake pads and Lagos for the rear windscreen
GetUmad:

I used a '97 kia sportage for 4yrs before the corolla, it served me well too but fuel economy is not so good(exactly double of corolla's) and availability of spare parts could be an issue(unless you stay in Lagos), I had to get to another town just to get brake pads and to Lagos when the rear windscreen disintegrated.
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by calculusx(m): 9:37pm On Sep 19, 2016
@ OP: If you must have this particular toyota brand,have it @ all cost grin

This is a Tested and Trusted Toyota Brand that has never failed the owners. Parts are relatively cheap and available @ Ladipo. Reason for its high price is actually because of demand and supply. I was on auction Today and I can confidently tell you a Manual Tranny 05 Corolla was sold for $1200. Guess how much an Automatic Tranny will be sold for? These are salvage with minimal dent. Let's do some rough calculations together

Cost of Purchase $1200
Auction Fee 350
Trucking to Port 300 depending on proximity
Shipping 900 depending
$2750
Forex Rate x 400
Total #1,100,000
Clearing in Lagos 450,000
Total Landing Cost #1,550,000

Remember this is based on Today's Auction and for a Manual Transmission 05 Corolla, let alone Automatic Transmission
So, don't blame we dealers most times. If only you know what we go through before we get $ @ reasonable rate. If you see any 03 - 06 Corolla online for #1.8m, pls grab the offer without looking back. A clean Title 03 - 06 Corolla will sell for nothing less than #2.1m. How many Nigerians can afford to pay that huge amount of money for 03 - 06 Corolla.
Remember also that the above estimate exclude fixing of the Car which could cost between 30k - 50k. Let's be enlightened and stop blaming dealers of smiling to the bank.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by GetUmad: 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2016
calculusx:
@ OP: If you must have this particular toyota brand,have it @ all cost grin

This is a Tested and Trusted Toyota Brand that has never failed the owners. Parts are relatively cheap and available @ Ladipo. Reason for its high price is actually because of demand and supply. I was on auction Today and I can confidently tell you a Manual Tranny 05 Corolla was sold for $1200. Guess how much an Automatic Tranny will be sold for? These are salvage with minimal dent. Let's do some rough calculations together

Cost of Purchase $1200
Auction Fee 350
Trucking to Port 300 depending on proximity
Shipping 900 depending
$2750
Forex Rate x 400
Total #1,100,000
Clearing in Lagos 450,000
Total Landing Cost #1,550,000

Remember this is based on Today's Auction and for a Manual Transmission 05 Corolla, let alone Automatic Transmission
So, don't blame we dealers most times. If only you know what we go through before we get $ @ reasonable rate. If you see any 03 - 06 Corolla online for #1.8m, pls grab the offer without looking back. A clean Title 03 - 06 Corolla will sell for nothing less than #2.1m. How many Nigerians can afford to pay that huge amount of money for 03 - 06 Corolla.
Remember also that the above estimate exclude fixing of the Car which could cost between 30k - 50k. Let's be enlightened and stop blaming dealers of smiling to the bank.

But how do you then explain the sudden deviation from the pencil and fish light camry that was trending then? As at that time, this particular corrola was not as prominent as it is now.
I believe just like the daewoo of the 90s, the opel of the early 2000s, it's a matter of time before it goes into oblivion. Sometimes, I also wonder why Prius which has got a better fuel economy is not well accepted in the country while the Camry(ies) are.
Re: The Current Craze About Toyota Corrola And The Way Forward by calculusx(m): 7:07pm On Sep 30, 2016
GetUmad:

But how......

Increase in Rate of Theft on Tiny lite pissed people off that particular model. I was very fortunate not to have any issue with all the ones I sold in the past.

Every Car has its own time. There was a time 200-2003 Nissan Pathfinder was fast selling SUV but no longer in Vogue. Same thing applied to 09/2010 Corolla, it was never a good market until the emergence of Uber.

With the recent increase in pump price, coupled with Uber down grading to 06 Vehicles and above, everybody now prefer a Vehicle that will serve dual Purpose ( Uber and Personal use). I know people that owns big SUVs but decide to own a Corolla as knock about Vehicle because of its reliability and fuel efficiency.

It will take few years before 03-07 Corolla will be faced out and outlive it's Purpose. No thanks to high Forex Rate, the Higher the Model the Higher the Price grin

(1) (Reply)

TOKS 013-015 Honda Crosstour.....014-018 ACCORD Sports/Touring/EXL (4d Chairmen) / SOLD OUT Highlander Tokunbo In Ibadan 08088525399@11m / Foreign Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.