Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,831 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics (14538 Views)

Dorcas Oche Graduates With First Class In Pharmacy From Rajiv Gandhi University / History Produces First Class In University Of Calabar (Photos) / Nigerian Lady Bags 1st Class In BSc & Distinction In MSc Outside Nigeria(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 8:54pm On Aug 11, 2017
Icosahedron:

Like I said earlier, you don't take the tree for the forest. There is a reason Asia and Europe and countries in the Eastern blocs are light years ahead of Africa in STEM science, There is a reason why the greatest Geometer are mostly from Russia, there is a reason the world most renowned Number Theorists are mostly from Germany. I have so much to say but I'm too lazy to type. But I do suggest you forget about first class and focus on your studies, Try to solve Putnam problems (especially Analysis, Geometry and Number Theory), this would broaden your Mathematical insight and give you a better overview of Mathematics in general.

the irony.. how do get First Class by not facing your studies or how do you face your studies and not get First Class?
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:07am On Aug 12, 2017
SetrakusRa:

the irony.. how do get First Class by not facing your studies or how do you face your studies and not get First Class?

My brother, I taya oh! grin
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Icosahedron(m): 11:11pm On Aug 13, 2017
SetrakusRa:

When you go for first class, you end up becoming an examination passing machine. I would have loved explain further but, It is unfortunate that I'm too lazy to type.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:06am On Aug 14, 2017
Icosahedron:

When you go for first class, you end up becoming an examination passing machine. I would have loved explain further but, It is unfortunate that I'm too lazy to type.

That's right bro. You'll become tactful and you'll understand and know how to beat the examination system. You'd have to also avoid some duties that attracts undue attention like course rep, SUG positions, Faculty, Departmental and State/Local Government SUG positions. You'd have to adopt, (in some cases) the green-snake-under-the-green-grass approach, be open minded to your course mates (especially the serious and brilliant ones) and help them whenever you could (with studies et al). In a nut shell, be a silent achiever- as gentle as a dove and as wise as a snake. Most of all, be prayerful, God should be your number 1 friend.

To even think that I even agree with you on this point sef...
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 3:57am On Aug 14, 2017
Icosahedron:

wrong amigo.. You're not smarter than anyone here. I'm a first class student today because of my knowledge about the practical and theoritical aspect of computer sci (even before being admitted). I understand the basic principles of each course and deliver excellently when examined, that'll surely make me an exam passing machine bro.

See, i get your point. But a mindset like yours, is the begining of failure. You're among the ever increasing bandwagon dat First Class students are crammers and half-baked. What a myth. You won't get anywhere in life if you want to follow every tom, d!ck and harry.

Food for thought; don't listen to society, because most of society are average! The fact alone that one is consistently chasing a goal through out he's undergraduate years is enough reason to standout and be appreciated.

Boy, be unique! If you're serious with your studies, you'll pass exams and get a First Class. I don't know how people transform themselves to "examination passing machines", you might want to explain that.

BTW, so much talk about "focusing on your studies" from you and you're always lazy to just type? How do dedication and laziness work together? I always knew all these your talk was hot air to seek attention on here, you better change that before you get admission. Atleast, don't be "lazy to type".

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Icosahedron(m): 3:59pm On Aug 14, 2017
SetrakusRa:

You're among the ever increasing bandwagon dat First Class students are crammers and half-baked.

How did you draw this conclusion? Stop making crazy assumptions here man because you do not know anything about me, my post is about the OP and not the first class graduates. He appears to be someone desperately trying to up his grades, probably to impress others, the society, or himself for some odd reasons I do not understand, and I can never encourage such a passion or goal, especially in a country like Nigeria. Anyone that is heavily involved in Mathematics should be able to understand that real Mathematics are not taught in schools.

Also, I do not think first class graduates are half-baked, and it is only foolishness and ignorance that could make one think such, a particular graduate is half-baked when that individual cannot defend himself on his or her field of study.

You made mention of so many things I'd love to address but unfortunately, I do not have the energy or time to type lengthy posts.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 4:46pm On Aug 14, 2017
Icosahedron:

How did you draw this conclusion? Stop making crazy assumptions here man because you do not know anything about me, my post is about the OP and not the first class graduates. He appears to be someone desperately trying to up his grades, probably to impress others, the society, or himself for some odd reasons I do not understand, and I can never encourage such a passion or goal, especially in a country like Nigeria. Anyone that is heavily involved in Mathematics should be able to understand that real Mathematics are not taught in schools.

Also, I do not think first class graduates are half-baked, and it is only foolishness and ignorance that could make one think such, a particular graduate is half-baked when that individual cannot defend himself on his or her field of study.

You made mention of so many things I'd love to address but unfortunately, I do not have the energy or time to type lengthy posts.

Once again you made assumptions about me because of few posts you've read. If it were a fight for acceptance, relevance or what not I wouldn't have wasted so much time chronicling my journey towards a set goal. You're misguided friend and you're still riding on your high horse still. That's why your ego was threatened by what's going on here. SMH for you.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Icosahedron(m): 5:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
Kenny4lyfe:

Once again you made assumptions about me because of few posts you've read. If it were a fight for acceptance, relevance or what not I wouldn't have wasted so much time chronicling my journey towards a set goal. You're misguided friend and you're still riding on your high horse still. That's why your ego was threatened by what's going on here. SMH for you.

Defence mechanism is really strong in humans, However, I shall not concern myself with such trivialities. Wish you the best of luck, brother.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 6:10pm On Aug 14, 2017
Icosahedron:

OK
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Icosahedron(m): 9:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
SetrakusRa:

OK

It's a good thing that you studied Computer Science. I'm self-studying Graph Theory and I'm facing some difficulties here, do you have any handouts(in PDF) that you can share with me?
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
Icosahedron:

Defence mechanism is really strong in humans, However, I shall not concern myself with such trivialities. Wish you the best of luck, brother.

Thanks! grin
The future is set. I will not relent.
You may have goals you've set, dreams you want fulfilled. Go ahead and achieve them and I wish you the very best in your endeavours. #PeaceOut
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 10:19pm On Aug 14, 2017
Icosahedron:

It's a good thing that you studied Computer Science. I'm self-studying Graph Theory and I'm facing some difficulties here, do you have any handouts(in PDF) that you can share with me?

i don't have any PDFs on that (not again). When i did Graph Theory in my Discrete Structures course, i remember using a hardcopy textbook (by some Indian authors.. S. CHAND?) from my school library.

It was interesting. Maybe you can check www.tutorialspoint.com for Graph Theory tutorials. They're quite good.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Icosahedron(m): 10:56pm On Aug 14, 2017
SetrakusRa:

i don't have any PDFs on that (not again). When i did Graph Theory in my Discrete Structures course, i remember using a hardcopy textbook (by some Indian authors.. S. CHAND?) from my school library.

It was interesting. Maybe you can check www.tutorialspoint.com for Graph Theory tutorials. They're quite good.

Thanks but I want university-level handouts as I'm not interested in the basics. Thanks though.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:32am On Aug 15, 2017
SetrakusRa:

i don't have any PDFs on that (not again). When i did Graph Theory in my Discrete Structures course, i remember using a hardcopy textbook (by some Indian authors.. S. CHAND? ) from my school library.

I know that author. He authored the statistic textbook I used in studying Inference last session. I'll check my school library too just in case.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:35am On Aug 15, 2017
Icosahedron:

Thanks but I want university-level handouts as I'm not interested in the basics. Thanks though.

I have a computer science pal from a sister university in my turf. He can be of help.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 8:10am On Aug 15, 2017
Icosahedron:

okay.. I'll get back to you if i see any though.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 8:14am On Aug 15, 2017
Kenny4lyfe:

I know that author. He authored the statistic textbook I used in studying Inference last session. I'll check my school library too just in case.

Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics?

You did Inference?
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by DoyleNorman: 8:28am On Aug 15, 2017
If you need to be an excellent mathematician, its not about being precise with the numbers anymore. An vital part of arithmetic that you may learn in university is analysis. UK Essay Writers
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by morett: 9:33am On Aug 15, 2017
Your 2nd semester of 100L won't be that challenging for math courses. Still the basic calculus et al.
It all gets murky when you start taking Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra which are rigorous and proof based.
I've got almost all math books you need for your undergrad in Math and can send them to you anywhere in Nigeria. Add me on Watsapp. 09020474736.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Icosahedron(m): 10:02am On Aug 15, 2017
morett:
Your 2nd semester of 100L won't be that challenging for math courses. Still the basic calculus et al.
It all gets murky when you start taking Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra which are rigorous and proof based.
I've got almost all math books you need for your undergrad in Math and can send them to you anywhere in Nigeria. Add me on Watsapp. 09020474736.

You don't have any on Functional Equations or Graph Theory??
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:18am On Aug 15, 2017
SetrakusRa:

Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics?
You did Inference?
Yes I did. It was interesting...
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:20am On Aug 15, 2017
morett:

Subscribing....
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by morett: 12:41am On Aug 16, 2017
Icosahedron:

You don't have any on Functional Equations or Graph Theory??

I get all my

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Icosahedron(m): 10:28am On Aug 16, 2017
morett:

I get all my books here: www.b-ok.org(a 2.5million book repository wink shocked grin) Search by Topic or search by Author.
If there's any you can't find, let me know.
Share with friends smiley

I can't find "Topics in Functional Equations" by Titu Andreescu.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 6:23am On Sep 13, 2017
Ok people...!

I've been quiet lately due to some underground gigs I got going. ASUU strike is still on with little hope of a 'call off' in sight. This, therefore, pose a question (for those of us who're currently at home due to the strike): What have you been doing with your time while the strike lasted?

Don't join the 'I don taya for this ASUU strike crew' by lamenting while you sit at home rotting your butt off. Get up and get moving.

Below are things you can do during this strike period:

1. Read: Some of us (including me) were about to write exams before the strike action truncated our academic activity. Given that one can never tell when this industrial action will be called off or suspended, just continue to intensify you preparation for your examination as if it will hold next week. Cover all those areas in your course outline you're yet to meet-up with, get more past questions if possible. Set daily reading targets and ensure you meet them by at least 80% (distraction contingent). You are the one to turn the industrial action by ASUU into a blessing in disguise. Don't join the whining and complaining group of students who wouldn't do nothing.

2. Get a Job/Internship (not necessarily with pay): The issue I have with most folks is that once you mention job-seek, application for a job or internship, they start whining with expressions like:

Where the job dey?

How much then go pay me?

I can't teach oh!

I don't need the stress abeg?!

There is no job/internship opportunity in town/its hard to find a job/internship!

My response to such category of students is: Lazybones, Oyo na your case!

Money shouldn't be the motivation you require to search for a job?! No it shouldn't! Inculcate the attitude of looking out for a need and meeting that need. Instead of money, make experience your key motivator. Do it for the experience. Some of us are supposed to be doing our IT/Teaching Practice by now but this has been postponed due to the industrial action by ASUU. Go get an internship position in whatever field you want to do IT on. Apply to teach (if necessary for free) in a private school mostly if you're an Education student waiting for Teaching Practice. Believe me, you'll be glad you did even if its for a month. Make sure you tell your boss/potential boss to write you a letter of experience after everything or an acknowledgement of your service in the organisation or school. With that you won't be whining if in the nearest future, you applied for a job and they're turning you down due to lack of experience. Believe me, I'm leading by example and the excitement and happiness I have right now knows no bound.

and finally...

3. Start a business or trade: You don't have to have 'plenty money' before you can start up a business these days. I have a friend who used this strike as an opportunity to start a campus networking gig and its growing like wild fire. Yours truly had recently sent an application to FG for the YouWin programme. I also have set up desktop computer and printer in my room for typing, printing and graphic design gigs of my own. Just think out something you can do with little or no cash. If you can't do it alone, get others who will partner with you.

YOU CAN EVEN COMBINE THE THREE ABOVE WITH NO STRESS

You don't have to halt your living because of the ongoing industrial action. Get on and get moving. Do something with your time. Don't let the hope of getting a certificate fast weigh you down to the point where you're no longer living to your full potential. Personally, I will never let a bunch of old hags determine weather my future is bright or bleak.

The industrial action by ASUU is a blessing in disguise for discerning minds.

He that has ear let him hear!
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 6:38am On Sep 13, 2017
I think I should create a thread for this post?! I'll go ahead and create a thread for the post above guys. I will paste the link afterwards. Front page here I come. Lolz...

The link→

https://www.nairaland.com/4050873/what-while-ASUU-strike-lasted#60402682
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by quickessayhelp: 7:28am On Oct 30, 2017
Icosahedron you said well and i am with you trees are living thing then why people want to cut that they didn't know that if they cut tree then how we do have oxygen so you said 100% true don't cut the tree

Essay Writers
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 9:01am On Dec 30, 2017
Hello everyone,
It's been quite a while since I last posted any update here as you can see. It's a deliberate notion anyway. Reason being that I've come to realise that, when it comes to excellent performance in your academics (especially in Nigeria), given the circumstances at play, "it is easier said than done".

The idea to make the best out of my sojourn in the ivory tower wasn't a bad one, and that I decided to chronicle it all on nairaland for "moral support and motivational boost" isn't wrong either. In fact, to have met individuals of like minds like Kennyjam, SetrakusRa, Morret, Icosahedron et al has made this all worthwhile. Thanks all!
My best Christmas wishes to every follower of this thread. Happy prosperous 2018 in advance!

My school resumed immediately the previous strike was called off and I had a rigorous 200Level 1st Semester (I called it Russia semester because we were literally rushed through till exams period). Wrote the exams within October-November- I actually wrote exams for 7 courses within weeks (3 of the 7 courses a Mathematics courses).
All glory to God anyway, my mind is rest assured of a good result. Now, talking about results, just a week into my 200Level exams after offsetting all my 100Level bills (which took place around June/July before the strike action), my HOD had to allow me a privileged access to my 100Level results (manually), due to the technical and bureaucratic processes involved in it's publication, approval by the senate and subsequent upload unto the university portal and partly to keep me in know as to the case of having any course as carry-over back in 100Level first semester. Well, of course I had no carry over- I'm on clear standing (First and Second Semester 100Level) with a CGPA of 3.2 (had to calculate it myself).
With much gratitude to God, I became better focused for my 200Level first semester exams. For someone who intends to make a first class (i.e 4.5 above), a 3.2 CGPA at the end of 100Level only means, "talk less and work harder". Hence, my decision to wait until now before posting this update.

I want to express my sincere gratitude first to God and to everyone who prayed, encouraged and motivated me through my 100Level (a really difficult time for me). I wouldn't have been here typing this without @joeagbaje- you're an angel sir! (Whoever says 'pastors' don't help people in need should cover their heads in shame). I literally resorted to corporate begging on nairaland (that was a low mehn...). Imagine the kind of physical and psychological demoralisation a fresher who hasn't paid school fees will have to go through for a period spanning two semesters (that'a year people... I repeat 1 whole year!) and till come out with a clear standing. Thank you all and God bless you.

From now on my updates here will be periodic but you can call my attention if the need arise. I do visit nairaland virtually every 3 or 4 hours though. It's second after my facebook.

2 Likes

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 9:32am On Dec 30, 2017
Nice one bro.. Keep working hard..

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:59am On Dec 30, 2017
SetrakusRa:
Nice one bro.. Keep working hard..

Thanks bro... Happy New Year in advance!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

11-year-old Boy, Boffin Ramarni Wilfred,with Higher IQ Than Einstein / BREAKING NEWS: Prof Yemi Osinbajo Names Fuoye After Late Gen. Adebayo / Federal Polythecnics Ilaro (2013 Aspirants)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.