Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,214 members, 7,780,401 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:38 PM

Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine (18887 Views)

AIDS Vaccine Passes Key Early Test / HIV Vaccine Breakthrough As Experts Generate Immune Cells To Stop Spread / First New HIV Vaccine Trial Begins In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by dadabashua1(m): 6:24pm On Sep 20, 2016
Nasiru Shua’ibu, a professor in the Biochemical Parasitology Department of Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, has developed a new malaria vaccine to prevent high rate of death from malaria fever.
Speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Zaria, Kaduna State on Tuesday, Mr. Shu’aibu said the new malaria vaccine was different from others currently in use.

Mr. Shu’aibu, who is currently working with the Institute of Tropical Medicine, Japan, said the result of the research on the new vaccine would soon be out for Nigerians to use.

“In a simple term that a layman can understand, the content of this malaria vaccine research is difficult, but let me try if I could simplify it, it is called DNA Vaccine.

“It is a new technology for discovery and delivery of vaccine against any infectious disease that was developed in the early to mid 1990s.

“The DNA of the malaria parasite was extracted and the portion of the DNA that is tested to be a good vaccine candidate is subjected to molecular biology methods which are used to produce a lot of the DNA,” Mr. Shu’aibu said.

According to him, the amount of DNA from the malaria parasite was very minute in quantity and to expand the quantity, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) was used.

“Then a method of cloning is now used to insert the DNA into a vehicle that will carry the DNA into either animal or human body.

“It is then injected into the body of the animal or human and it eventually enters the cells of the animal in the same way a virus enters and infects cells.
“The injected DNA now uses the cells in the body to produce chemicals that will prevent malaria from infecting the body,” Mr. Shu’aibu said.
He said the vaccine was different from any of the licensed vaccines like polio and other EPI vaccines.
Mr. Shu’aibu added that the approach was also different from the other malaria vaccine (RTS,S/AS01) that was likely to be licensed but the goals were the same, to control and eventually eliminate malaria.
Nigeria, with an estimated population of over 170 million, constitutes the highest malaria burden in Africa and in the world.
Mr. Shu’aibu doubted the figures from the National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP) indicating progress in containing the disease.
“I still doubt; the tools currently used to fight malaria are not sufficient to have a substantial and sustained impact that is needed to resolve the malaria crisis in Nigeria,” he said.

Mr. Shu’aibu said the need to monitor the growing resistance to anti-malarial drugs and insecticides.
He said if not checked and documented, it would jeopardise years of global public health success and investments in malaria control.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/210800-nigerian-scientist-abu-develops-malaria-vaccine.html

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by Goddys(m): 6:36pm On Sep 20, 2016
space booked
Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by alegbeleye(m): 6:39pm On Sep 20, 2016
Now this is a professor.

96 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by mustmust(m): 6:39pm On Sep 20, 2016
Cutlass . If u no get Matchet
Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by Bobbysmart6(m): 6:43pm On Sep 20, 2016
Perfect.hoping nt to bring out the fake product later soon grin

1 Like

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by eljp(m): 7:29pm On Sep 20, 2016
Great Prof.

14 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by omoikea(m): 10:12pm On Sep 20, 2016
sad
Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 10:12pm On Sep 20, 2016
really cool

1 Like

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by emeijeh(m): 10:13pm On Sep 20, 2016
All these namecheckers will be silent on this one na.
Big up to the prof

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by jennyebi(f): 10:13pm On Sep 20, 2016
great achievement

2 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 20, 2016
I hope the next minute a Nigerian somewhere wont release a long epistle saying the discovery was fake.

2 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by veacea: 10:14pm On Sep 20, 2016
In this recession? I will read layer sir

Where is the link to the article he published from the work?
Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by wizjaybee(m): 10:14pm On Sep 20, 2016
The ugandans would not like this news grin

21 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by KingsleyCEO: 10:15pm On Sep 20, 2016
I hereby certify you a professor. This is what we are taking about not those...

15 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by datola: 10:15pm On Sep 20, 2016
I pray this is true and provable. It will be a milestone breakthrough in the anal of medical research into the dreaded malaria scourge.

Congratulations 'in advance' (sic) Prof, congratulations Nigeria, congratulations Africa, congratulations the world over.

3 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by MrExcel(m): 10:15pm On Sep 20, 2016
Naturally ahead!! Proudly ABUsite.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by yahmohy27: 10:17pm On Sep 20, 2016
That's my prof dey make me do yanga kudos ABUSITE

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by goldenceo1: 10:17pm On Sep 20, 2016
wizjaybee:
The ugandans would not like this news grin

A Nigerian develop d malaria vaccine. let's learn to celebrate success collectively. stop creating unnecessary bad blood b/w us..

2 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 20, 2016
This is the second thread in less than 24 hours that God is using to shame our brother who feel nothing good can ever come out of the north. God bless Nigeria,say no to stereotyping and empty CHESTBEATINGS

14 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by bammo: 10:18pm On Sep 20, 2016
This is a good approach. at least we are now contributing to science smiley
Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by Habakus: 10:19pm On Sep 20, 2016
Good job prof. This is what it means to be a scientist.

7 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by MrPresident1: 10:19pm On Sep 20, 2016
O kare jare grin
Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by Nobody: 10:20pm On Sep 20, 2016
I need a shot asap
Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by musty001: 10:20pm On Sep 20, 2016
l can't forget his face,this man taught me biochemistry,when I was in two-hundred level.
A very hardworking,simple and honest Man...
also very Strict

10 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by ayobase(m): 10:21pm On Sep 20, 2016
Nasiru Shua’ibu, a professor in the Biochemical Parasitology Department of Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, has developed a new malaria vaccine to prevent high rate of death from malaria fever.

Now, that's an active prof.

Was is not for this same purpose a student, Adeyeye Olorunfemi of UNILAG was rusticated for calling his Professor and VC out.

... the economy is crumbling, where is Dr. Nduibisi Nwokoma of the Economics department? Buhari is still waiting for your economic model computation and those econometrics rubbish theories you teach your students. Prof. G.L Oyekan!.., there is infrastructural decay! Prof. Idoro Godwin, buildings are collapsing and projects are poorly handled! This is not project planning class where you come to disturb students with your unending battery of questions e.g What is Objective?..answer – Objective is ….Question 2 – What is “is”? What a comedian!

Vice Chancellor sir, you remain a first class Chemical engineering graduate from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile- Ife. What has happened to the Great Ife in you? Our power generation is deteriorating and you are alive. The nation’s investment of knowledge on you to make you a scholar is a WASTE. Your first class honours degree is the true definition of a FIASCO...

13 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by Anaconda76: 10:21pm On Sep 20, 2016
Yeah!! Who says nothing good can come out of Naija. GOD BLESS YOU SIR. grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by leofab(f): 10:23pm On Sep 20, 2016
Nice more grease to his elbow
Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by kingphilip(m): 10:24pm On Sep 20, 2016
This is really a big achievement and should be celebrated by all and sundry irrespective of tribe, religion, race and complexion.

It's a thing of joy that such a thing is nurtured and might be developed in our country.. I hope it meets the desired goal of eradicating malaria which is said to be the most dangerous killer of our time

God bless you sir

6 Likes

Re: Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine by Osu175(m): 10:25pm On Sep 20, 2016
Naturally ahead

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Health Workers Kick As Nigerian Nursing Council Introduces Stringent Conditions / Illegal Bottom Injections On Rise In US- BBC / Mouth Odour Remedy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.