Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. (16549 Views)

Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) / Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest / My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 2:55pm On Nov 04, 2016
Pavore9:

Demand is high during that period and expensive. Will be happy to see more youths in Imo going into cultivating vegetables for salad.
yea even now.
good, though not easy o. land,labour and capital is required in addition to experience and time. Though getting the thread to fp may also serve as great motivation. As visitors flood the farm to see how cucumber vine looks. you can imagine the suprise look on their face.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 3:35pm On Nov 04, 2016
Munzy14:

yea even now.
good, though not easy o. land,labour and capital is required in addition to experience and time. Though getting the thread to fp may also serve as great motivation. As visitors flood the farm to see how cucumber vine looks. you can imagine the suprise look on their face.

I recall when l worked in Anambra State and did tell the locals it is possible to grow watermelon, cabbage, lettuce, cucumber etc locally rather than depending only on what is brought down from the North but they always did look at me as if l was drunk! Most can only relate to cassava, yam and cocoyam! cheesy cheesy

We grew up with a stereotyped misconception that cucumber and others can only do well within the cooler area of Plateau State but enlightenment has proven otherwise. Am waiting on a strawberry pilot project, once it is successful it will translate to the possibility of growing strawberries anywhere in the south and harvest within 3 months of planting. It will the climbing variety like the one in the picture.

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Following(m): 5:17pm On Nov 04, 2016
Pavore9:

I recall when l worked in Anambra State and did tell the locals it is possible to grow watermelon, cabbage, lettuce, cucumber etc locally rather than depending only on what is brought down from the North but they always did look at me as if l was drunk! Most can only relate to cassava, yam and cocoyam! cheesy cheesy

We grew up with a stereotyped misconception that cucumber and others can only do well within the cooler area of Plateau State but enlightenment has proven otherwise. Am waiting on a strawberry pilot project, once it is successful it will translate to the possibility of growing strawberries anywhere in the south and harvest within 3 months of planting. It will the climbing variety like the one in the picture.
i just wish we had like 2 of u in akwa ibom,maybe things would be easier for me to learn farming all these nt vry popular vegetables and fruits. when u don't farm ugwu,cassava, and maize,then u r nt farming
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 6:12pm On Nov 04, 2016
Following:
i just wish we had like 2 of u in akwa ibom,maybe things would be easier for me to learn farming all these nt vry popular vegetables and fruits. when u don't farm ugwu,cassava, and maize,then u r nt farming

Training willing minds in diverse crops is the responsibility of the State ministry of Agriculture but rather than be on the field creating opportunities most of them there are more interested in pushing files from one office to the other and await their salary at the end of the month.....no value given!

The real money spinner is in herbs and spices, most of which we import but can be locally grown and harvested within 3-4 months. A Kenyan friend told me a youth farmers co-operative he knows sold 6kg of flaxseed to a Nigerian lady who visited Nairobi recently and it was sold to her at a promo price of $20 per kilo and she was so happy to pay the $120!

I do encourage people not to wait on any government institution....learn from wherever you can and start with whatever you have!
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Following(m): 6:38pm On Nov 04, 2016
Pavore9:

Training willing minds in diverse crops is the responsibility of the State ministry of Agriculture but rather than be on the field creating opportunities most of them there are more interested in pushing files from one office to the other and await their salary at the end of the month.....no value given!

The real money spinner is in herbs and spices, most of which we import but can be locally grown and harvested within 3-4 months. A Kenyan friend told me a youth farmers co-operative he knows sold 6kg of flaxseed to a Nigerian lady who visited Nairobi recently and it was sold to her at a promo price of $20 per kilo and she was so happy to pay the $120!

I do encourage people not to wait on any government institution....learn from wherever you can and start with whatever you have!

very true! the only thing they do there z to sell seeds u can't trust,and the government policies for youth and interested farmers is top secret only for staff.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Following(m): 6:47pm On Nov 04, 2016
we can't wait for them, just hoping i can get land close to skl nxt year. those salad vegez are mostly brought in frm neigbouring states and are guarded by strong unions, but jst N500 discount can perform magic

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 8:28pm On Nov 04, 2016
Pavore9:

honestly the misconception has eating deep into our people,which made turn lazy to work for peanut all the years of their lives.
Again Our pple beliv in what did you study. Some people visited my farm, after being marvelled the simply as what did u studied?. I will gladly tell them its Industrial Chem. Anybody can turn farmer its only interest and passion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 6:59am On Nov 05, 2016
Munzy14:

honestly the misconception has eating deep into our people,which made turn lazy to work for peanut all the years of their lives.
Again Our pple beliv in what did you study. Some people visited my farm, after being marvelled the simply as what did u studied?. I will gladly tell them its Industrial Chem. Anybody can turn farmer its only interest and passion.

Your course of study just reminded me of my late uncle who will buried in few days time. He was a Professor of Industrial Chemistry.

Enlightenment will help reshape our reasoning. Agriculture is about passion not certificate. There is a Kenyan guy l know who studied Aeronautic Engineering but today he earns his sustenance through raising earthworms and was earning about $1,200 monthly as at August 2015 within a space not even more than a plot of land and was selling a kilo of earthworm for $40!

We only need a mental shift as there are so many opportunities within the Nigerian space.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by jephito(m): 8:07am On Nov 05, 2016
Well done Munzy14... Keep it up. As usual, Pavore9 is already year doing that which he does best... Kudos to you too.

Munzy14:

Do you have an idea if the Seminis Darinamis is still in Stock and the cost per sachet?

How easy do you find this trellis style? Have you tried any other staking method?
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by shadowid: 9:34am On Nov 05, 2016
following, am doing it in a very small capacity, my farm is in ibesikpo near d cemetery I don't know if u r interested n if u do, try n contact me
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Following(m): 5:38pm On Nov 05, 2016
shadowid:
following, am doing it in a very small capacity, my farm is in ibesikpo near d cemetery I don't know if u r interested n if u do, try n contact me
is it the mbiokporo axis
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by shadowid: 7:10pm On Nov 05, 2016
it shares d boundary wt mbikporo BT its in ibesikpo. 100H FM plaza
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 9:56pm On Nov 05, 2016
Pavore9:

Your course of study just reminded me of my late uncle who will buried in few days time. He was a Professor of Industrial Chemistry.

Enlightenment will help reshape our reasoning. Agriculture is about passion not certificate. There is a Kenyan guy l know who studied Aeronautic Engineering but today he earns his sustenance through raising earthworms and was earning about $1,200 monthly as at August 2015 within a space not even more than a plot of land and was selling a kilo of earthworm for $40!

We only need a mental shift as there are so many opportunities within the Nigerian space.
lol. honestly its passion.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 10:17pm On Nov 05, 2016
@oga jephito thanks its good having experts around.
seminis darina is no longer in stock in my area. they only sell in transparent nylon of 2g. I think darina is scarce now.
for the trellis am only using this. just comfortable with it for now.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by globalfanz(m): 6:49am On Nov 06, 2016
Kudos Munzy14

Is it possible to harvest the seeds of the cucumber and replant them?
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by jephito(m): 8:52am On Nov 06, 2016
Munzy14:
@oga jephito thanks its good having experts around.
seminis darina is no longer in stock in my area. they only sell in transparent nylon of 2g. I think darina is scarce now.
for the trellis am only using this. just comfortable with it for now.

Alright sir... BTW, who dash me expert? Lol
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 12:39pm On Nov 06, 2016
jephito:

Alright sir... BTW, who dash me expert? Lol
Lol. As far as you planted,harvested and sold. you are a guru in the biznezz.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 12:41pm On Nov 06, 2016
globalfanz:
Kudos Munzy14

Is it possible to harvest the seeds of the cucumber and replant them?
It is. but for hybrid seeds not encouraging. you are likely not to get the same characteristics.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by jephito(m): 4:39pm On Nov 06, 2016
Munzy14:

Lol. As far as you planted,harvested and sold. you are a guru in the biznezz.

You may be right o
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Arvinkris(m): 4:54pm On Nov 06, 2016
@jephito do u prefer darina to Tokyo variety? COs i saw u asking for the darina ...
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by jephito(m): 5:22pm On Nov 06, 2016
Arvinkris:
@jephito do u prefer darina to Tokyo variety? COs i saw u asking for the darina ...

Quote me anywhere, Tokyo F1 is still the best variety FOR NOW.
However, I asked cos Tokyo is not available in the market at the moment and I'm planning to plant by next week. Darinamis here is sold for 1k5 to 1k6 and Munzy14 bought his for less than 1k. So, in case I didn't get Tokyo F1, I will buy the Darina..
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Arvinkris(m): 5:49pm On Nov 06, 2016
Tokoyo yields better than darina? I will try tokoyo to confirm
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Arvinkris(m): 5:51pm On Nov 06, 2016
Let me know when you get it. I will like to try it.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Following(m): 9:12pm On Nov 06, 2016
shadowid:
it shares d boundary wt mbikporo BT its in ibesikpo. 100H FM plaza
I will most definitely visit sir!i got ur no. frm the land thread
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 7:10am On Nov 07, 2016
Good morning good people. I realised av not given the expenses incurred in the journey of cucumber farming. now checking from the first specie i planted which is darina.
Land space =free
Seeds per 100sacks=2
Cost of 10g seed= 950
Poultry dungs=free
sacks= 1000naira for 100.
Strings for trellis= free
Water=free
Labour=self.
Liquid fertilizer=free from the farm
sales=5600.
Cost of production=1950
Profit= 3650

So with the above figures. when you scale up. we determine how large your profit will be, hence you have a good harvest and good sale.
Thanks my people. Next Ugu sack farming loading....
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Following(m): 7:23am On Nov 07, 2016
Munzy14:
Good morning good people. I realised av not given the expenses incurred in the journey of cucumber farming. now checking from the first specie i planted which is darina.
Land space =free
Seeds per 100sacks=2
Cost of 10g seed= 950
Poultry dungs=free
Water=free
Labour=self.
sales=5600.
Cost of production=1950
Profit= 3650

So with the above figures. when you scale up. we determine how large your profit will be, hence you have a good harvest and good sale.
the profit margin z only this high because the major factors of production are not considered on the scale. when u make payment for some of those factors,i am nt sure you will have more than 100% ROI
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 10:13am On Nov 07, 2016
[quote author=Following post=50829662] the profit margin z only this high because the major factors of production are not considered on the scale. when u make payment for some of those factors,i am nt sure you will have more
And you didnt check the fact I used sacks of which i can still plant on bare ground to also reduce cost.One thing is clear in agriculture you can get 105% of ROI when you do effective and proper management on higher scale.plus good market strategy.
Everybody love agric when it comes to seeing returns yet few pple are willing to get down to business.
I advise people If you are passionate about Agric you wount consider money at the initial stage. because come rain come shine the money must come. its a must. I started cucumber farming as hobby until i got very surprising harvest. before you know it demand set in.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Following(m): 11:19am On Nov 07, 2016
[quote author=Munzy14 post=50833794][/quote] I am not saying what you achieved z impossible as i have pulled a higher ROI on vegetables in small scale,but can't happen in large scale agriculture where running cost z much higher as you have to pay for services that were once negligible in small scale farming e.g land: even if land z gotten free,you will have to value it in your farming cost, as there are other ways of making money frm the land such as real estate, labour for experimental farm z nt always valued, but will you try this in a commercially viable farm. water?is it possible to irrigate farms for free? you either pay for the water or you pay for the medium of transporting the water to the farm or both. farm machinery cost and maintenance can't be forgotten not to talk of cost of transporting farm implement and produce.b4 you kill me,that z what staying with my father can cause,the man will force you to see the economics of any venture, but farming pays.

2 Likes

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Following(m): 11:29am On Nov 07, 2016
chicken dung can't be free as it z part of the poultry value chain and has to be valued on a suitable basis. trellis must be valued unless you used got the rope and wooden support frm nature. won't you pay urself salary even if na part-time or oga u dey do work for god. spending valuable time in a farm, you need to get paid as those hours could give you money elsewhere. you are still one step ahead of me in cukes cos you hv done it practically and i am yet to!
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 12:39pm On Nov 07, 2016
[quote author=Following post=50835692]chicken dung can't be free as it z part of the poultry value chain and has to be valued on a suitable basis. trellis must be valued unless you used got the rope and wooden support frm nature. won't you pay urself salary even if na part-time or oga u dey do work for god. spending valuable time in a farm, you need to get paid as those hours could give you money elsewhere. you are still one step ahead of me in cukes cos you hv done it practically and i am yet to! [/quot]
Poultry dungs is free in some large poultry farms in owerri. sometimes what we sought for other places are right dia in our locality,but laziness wount allow us get them. Agric i know is not for lazy people. If early man waited for improved farm tools dia wouldn't be agriculture today.
Even land can be gotten free. check that empty land in your vicinity approach the owner. its a matter of just 40days maximum you will plant and harvest your cukes.sometimes the prize for success is not all about money. Humility and manner of approach can be price to get free space to do something.Even federal government is willing to assist with land and others hence its for agricultural purpose with the famine currently in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by adescopy(m): 6:27pm On Nov 07, 2016
Pls help! my young cucumber plant of 8 days is falling off from the stem.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by whitecloth: 7:05pm On Nov 07, 2016
Munzy14:
Land space =free
Seeds per 100sacks=2
Cost of 10g seed= 950
Poultry dungs=free
Water=free
Labour=self.
sales=5600.
Cost of production=1950
Profit= 3650

how many bags did you harvest from the 100 sacks that makes it N5,600

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N200 Billion Agriculture Loans - Farmers Say Banks Are Not Lending / Poultry Business In Nigeria: How Reliable & Profitable Is It? / Pix And Price List For Mobile Tarpaulin Fish Tank In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.