Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,077 members, 7,807,222 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? (25255 Views)

Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" / Which Nigerian Citizen(s) Signed The 1914 Amalgamation? / Constitutional Amendment: See The Nine Key Areas Senate, House Of Reps Disagree. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Dandsome: 8:44am On Sep 22, 2016
Hello guys, this issue is what we must have heard of and some even experienced first hand. I`m talking about the issue of Nigerian police going through one`s phone and laptop.

Its a norm especially in Lagos that once a police man sees you and remembers that he is broke, he`ll call you and the first thing is to seize your phone and then start going through it to know if you`re a "yahoo" boy or girl.

Sometimes you`ll even have to bail your self and your phone if he doesn`t understand or know a particular application in the phone (There was a story on FP one time about how a boy`s phone was seized cos he had an app he uses in doing his online business).

Apple has released the iPhone 7 and also Samsung has released theirs too. these phones are quite expensive and with the current economy it`ll take a whole lot of sacrifice to buy one of them. When they get into the country, and people start buying them, will the police now term any young guy who buys it and term him a "yahoo" person?

Tecno is also about to release the Phantom 6 and Phantom 6+ which should be much more affordable. Now if I buy either the iPhone 7, or the samsung or any of the Tecno phantom series, and the police one day stops me and want to search my phone, do I have the right to tell them NO??

Now this brings me to the question; DOES THE NIGERIAN POLICE HAVE ANY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO GO THROUGH ANY CITIZEN`S PHONE OR LAPTOP WITHOUT A WARRANT? especially when there isn`t an on-going investigation.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by sybarite7(m): 8:49am On Sep 22, 2016
NO THEY DON'T, ITS ILLEGAL AND EVEN THE IGP TERMED IT ILLEGAL... YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO CHALLENGE THEM ,BUT NAIJA NA NAIJA DEY WILL STILL COM UP WITH DIFFERENT STORIES JUST FOR YOU TO BAIL URSELF OUT

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Ahmed0336(m): 8:52am On Sep 22, 2016
Most Police officers are terrible, that uniform make em feel they can do and undo. Most of em knows nothing about human right and constitution.
Lemme drop a story.
A week back my friend was driving along Lafia road when a camry hit him from behind, he lost control then ran into two keke napep parked by the road side. Four persons lost their lives included a pregnant woman, luckily police officers were stationed at the scene of the accident. The camry driver ran off. my friend was hospitalized when policemen came and took him straight no short cuts to cell. The families of the deceased gave statements at the station that since it was no fault of his that the police should set him free. Likewise those officers stationed at the point of the incident also gave their statements saying my friend wasn't at fault.
As I am typing this that dude is still in cell. They said they ll grant him bail if we pay 150,000 and the person must have properties in lafia. Aswear if I say d matter no tire me I lie. D dude looks sick, 1 week now him never bath and if u see the cell honestly u no go pray to enter police trap

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by babyfaceafrica: 8:56am On Sep 22, 2016
Depends
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Tapout(m): 9:51am On Sep 22, 2016
here in the east, they now go through laptops...... as a young guy, if they see you driving a car and exhibiting too much freshness grin u r automatically a gee boy cheesy grin. Ndi ara! angry

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Abeymills(m): 9:59am On Sep 22, 2016
Nig police no dey try

3 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by veekid(m): 12:00pm On Sep 22, 2016
Nigerian police need no constitutional right whatever you call it before checking your phone; check your laptop if you have one; the NPF? Those guys? Dem go even beat you join that's if you decline.......

Nigerian police? Those useless guys need serious reforms

3 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by richidinho(m): 12:01pm On Sep 22, 2016
No

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
Asking this question at this point in we Nigerians quest for a truly sane modern civilization is akin to putting the cart before the horse. You should be asking.
1. Is it constitutional for a soldier to tear you default factory reset slap at the slightest provocation?
2. Is it constitutional for budget padding not to be crime?
3. Is it constitutional for you to have to get to the top on 'who you know' basis not on merit?
4. Is it constitutional for 'we will bring you change' to turn to 'change begins with you' overnight?
Let me rest my fingers here. Try to find answers to the above questions and you will realise that the police checking through your phone should be the last unconstitutional thing on your mind.

Rant over

37 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by driveiwe(m): 12:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
no

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by kidman96(m): 12:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
Dandsome:
Hello guys, this issue is what we must have heard of and some even experienced first hand. I`m talking about the issue of Nigerian police going through one`s phone and laptop.
Its a norm especially in Lagos that once a police man sees you and remembers that he is broke, he`ll call you and the first thing is to seize your phone and then start going through it to know if you`re a "yahoo" boy or girl.
Sometimes you`ll even have to bail your self and your phone if he doesn`t understand or know a particular application in the phone (There was a story on FP one time about how a boy`s phone was seized cos he had an app he uses in doing his online business).
Apple has released the iPhone 7 and also Samsung has released theirs too. these phones are quite expensive and with the current economy it`ll take a whole lot of sacrifice to buy one of them. When they get into the country, and people start buying them, will the police now term any young guy who buys it and term him a "yahoo" person?
Tecno is also about to release the Phantom 6 and Phantom 6+ which should be much more affordable. Now if I buy either the iPhone 7, or the samsung or any of the Tecno phantom series, and the police one day stops me and want to search my phone, do I have the right to tell them NO??
Now this brings me to the question; DOES THE NIGERIAN POLICE HAVE ANY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO GO THROUGH ANY CITIZEN`S PHONE OR LAPTOP WITHOUT A WARRANT? especially when there isn`t an on-going investigation.

Yes and no. I don't think there is anywhere in the Nigerian constitution that says they can't. So if a Police man can come to search ur house without warrant I think they can search ur phone without a warrant to. All they need is a probable cause. Our democracy is still very young.

5 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by ramdris(m): 12:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
Unless with court order... The problem with our Police Officers is that once you are young and looks okay, they will just assume you are into illegal stuffs and that can be very annoying...

I can't count the number of times those guys have stopped me while driving and ask " what kind of job are you into "? angry.

5 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by driveiwe(m): 12:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
Ahmed0336:
Most Police officers are terrible, that uniform make em feel they can do and undo. Most of em knows nothing about human right and constitution.
Lemme drop a story.
A week back my friend was driving along Lafia road when a camry hit him from behind, he lost control then ran into two keke napep parked by the road side. Four persons lost their lives included a pregnant woman, luckily police officers were stationed at the scene of the accident. The camry driver ran off. my friend was hospitalized when policemen came and took him straight no short cuts to cell. The families of the deceased gave statements at the station that since it was no fault of his that the police should set him free. Likewise those officers stationed at the point of the incident also gave their statements saying my friend wasn't at fault.
As I am typing this that dude is still in cell. They said they ll grant him bail if we pay 150,000 and the person must have properties in lafia. Aswear if I say d matter no tire me I lie. D dude looks sick, 1 week now him never bath and if u see the cell honestly u no go pray to enter police trap

Get a Sound Human rights lawyer and they will gladly chew up the case

2 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by chrisBenSunny: 12:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
It depends on the crime commited.
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by ChristineC: 12:04pm On Sep 22, 2016
No they don't.
I will not hand my personal effects to any policeman on the road. I can't even imagine a reason any will look me in the eye and ask for it.

6 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by adebrave1(m): 12:04pm On Sep 22, 2016
No and yea.... Depending on the issues

Meanwhile, what will a police officer see on your phone and make him conclude you're a yahoo boy? #justasking
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by freshvine(f): 12:04pm On Sep 22, 2016
If you are under criminal investigation, the detectives may seize it from you and monitor your calls for a while
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by jbreezy: 12:05pm On Sep 22, 2016
As in diz issue shld b attended to,,,d policemen in ibadan re so naughty eehhhn,,,if dem sight person wey dress wit full swag,,,na to stop am n strt searching fones n pocketz,,,dey've delayed me 4 almost 2hrs b4 cos dey ad to go charge my fone sinz it was dead,,,waz jst lukin n dem n cautioning my anger,,,,abeg, mak una warn dem oooh

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by jmoore(m): 12:06pm On Sep 22, 2016
80% of Police men/women are thieves.

20 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Olusharp(m): 12:06pm On Sep 22, 2016
it is not uncommon o... over here once it after 7pm you dare not carry a phone especially laptop..if them just see lap you don die not to talk of laptop..you will have to show them your receipt and the job you do to allow you be carrying laptop "upandan", its funny...

***by the way,anyone who can help me with an online job or a part time job in Osun state..*** pls help me!

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by franklynsunny(m): 12:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
Extortation
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by goldenceo1: 12:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
Na Sars b baba for phone searching sef.. does pple are freaking hell on d road

6 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by andymofia(m): 12:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
yes
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by power900: 12:11pm On Sep 22, 2016
lately now, police now act like they are overall makers of the laws ,in my area unity estate, I have twice witnessed where a young guy with his EOD with really wicked alloy wheels arrested and another was driving his venza and the police just overtook him and that's how he got arrested, all without any offence.....

police no dey chase armed robbers again ooo, na any guy wey carry iPhone 6plus or car...

smh

12 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by goldenceo1: 12:12pm On Sep 22, 2016
adebrave1:
No and yea.... Depending on the issues

Meanwhile, what will a police officer see on your phone and make him conclude you're a yahoo boy? #justasking

some apps bro.. i.e boa,chase,wellsfargo mobiles app, kik, vpn, 1*q. checks, foreign I'd card, pix of client, etc u don't wanna be caught wit does app or else 150-400k will be offering depending on ur G word contacts.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Namdeenero(m): 12:12pm On Sep 22, 2016
Bro if they see you in a car with a laptop, you're finished, especially if you don't have the reciept of the laptop with you at that moment.. I bailed my laptop with 20k when some police officers stopped me on my way back from my computer lesson and they demanded for the reciept which I had lost.. Naija police are NOT our friends!!

12 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by KissCODE(m): 12:13pm On Sep 22, 2016
Tapout:
here in the east, they now go through laptops...... as a young guy, if they see you driving a car and exhibiting too much freshness grin u r automatically a gee boy cheesy grin. Ndi ara! angry
where in the east?
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by MzMercie: 12:14pm On Sep 22, 2016
Here to learn
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Pranxta(m): 12:15pm On Sep 22, 2016
and when they begin to go through your phone...

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 22, 2016
lol...police gt thier own constitution
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 22, 2016
No

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Bala Mohammed Tied Down PDP Governorship Ticket While Running For President / How I Rejected N1Billion Bribe – Amaechi / Nigerian Soldiers Captured, Executed By ISWAP In January - Edward DonKlericuzio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.