Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (20517 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / What Kind Of Gifts Should I Get For People Back Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Linguist(f): 11:28am On Oct 16, 2009
everyone has said one right tin or the other. you are hussling abroad, you come home and say things u no even
for a year u cant get u brag and say u have such tins, now tell me wat u want ur people to believe. definately when they are making demands THEY WILL MAKE ACCORDING TO WHAT YOU EARN. so d bet tin is this tell the truth, secondly, wen u have @times you can send sumtin to them so dat wen u dont have and u did not send no body will say a word becos they no dat wen u have u give. is just that some families are terrible. they go wan drain u.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mikkyphp(m): 12:48pm On Oct 16, 2009
i don tire for this thread sef! what is this about really. badmouthing here and there. @igbogirl,redsky1,platinumnk,sauron etc, ah ahn. e don do na. whose fault is it you have family and close friends who are pathetic beggers and think money grow on trees abroad. i dont get, someone u dont know wont bl***dy email you asking you for a laptop. so what is this about. u come here ranting and raving that nigerians do this and that. NO! say your close friends and relative in 9ja are making this ridiculous demands. Address your grienviance to them! Please try not to generalise too(somebody saying you collect salary and b4 u get home robbers take it from you); what's that!. You make the rest of us look like we're money hungry hookers searching for the next yankee or JD guy to leech.
Foreigners come here, and all they see is money to be made. i agree its primarily our fault 9ja is where it is today, but please let it be worthy of note that it's only your close family/friends (those that make outlandish demands) that this thread was meant originally to address.

phew!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 12:50pm On Oct 16, 2009
my family lives here my friends live here and the friends i have in nigeria are very ok.

the person i mentioned was someone that took my number from somebodies phone.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mikkyphp(m): 1:05pm On Oct 16, 2009
@redsky, no be your relative or friend/aquantance be that someone? abegi
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2009
no
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by sayso: 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2009
@mikkyphp easy man,the thing never reach that level,take it easy we still here in 9ja and we will win this development battle.There is another thread still going on about this yankee/9ja thing.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by honeric01(m): 1:21pm On Oct 16, 2009
mikkyphp:

i don tire for this thread sef! what is this about really. badmouthing here and there. @igbogirl,redsky1,platinumnk,sauron etc, ah ahn. e don do na. whose fault is it you have family and close friends who are pathetic beggers and think money grow on trees abroad. i dont get, someone u dont know wont bl***dy email you asking you for a laptop. so what is this about. u come here ranting and raving that nigerians do this and that. NO! say your close friends and relative in 9ja are making this ridiculous demands. Address your grienviance to them! Please try not to generalise too(somebody saying you collect salary and b4 u get home robbers take it from you); what's that!. You make the rest of us look like we're money hungry hookers searching for the next yankee or JD guy to leech.
Foreigners come here, and all they see is money to be made. i agree its primarily our fault 9ja is where it is today, but please let it be worthy of note that it's only your close family/friends (those that make outlandish demands) that this thread was meant originally to address.

phew!

i tire oo angry angry

are these people asking those complaining strangers if you are comfortable, you won't beg anyone for anything except if you are extremely greedy.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mikkyphp(m): 1:37pm On Oct 16, 2009
@sayso, i don begin para unto the matter. are those making demands strangers? which levels? we all agree say those making crazy demands no dey try. the issue should be between you and them. dont drag the rest of us nigerians into the same mud. they wont die if u dont give
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by sayso: 1:47pm On Oct 16, 2009
my broda na so I see am ooohh,but they just dey make we look like say we be yahoo yahoo boys.but sha we go survive for this we 9ja.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by martinosi: 1:55pm On Oct 16, 2009
A nigerian friend that has An MTN Mask in his compound in Lagos,
A real estate business @ apapa and is into
getting NGO Funds from UN, UNICEF and all the other Agencies/charities
doling out money is always asking me to send him money
for a New Gadget ie Laptop, Mobile, etc, l

TRUTH IS A DONT EBEN PAY THAT MIND!!!

"SAME SH*t differenct TOilet to me!!!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 16, 2009
omg I have been looking for topic like this like forever. @poster,
you are not even 1% wrong. most people back home actually think people
pick the money off the ground. growing on the tree will take time you know, picking it off the
ground is instant. they believe people overseas pick money off the ground. some of them just refuse
to listen to the truth because my mother tell them every damn thing that goes on here, infact she exaggerate
it and make it worse but still some of them believe white man home is heaven. undecided
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by sayso: 2:21pm On Oct 16, 2009
@martinosi I will not say you are lying but if the guy has all that he must be a parasite,cause a friend just got a job with an NGO in Delta state, traveled to Europe for greener pastures but returned to continue the NGO job,my inlaw was a banker for over 5years,traveled to the US with the family in serach of a better job,lucky him,he did not resigned but took his accumulated leave of 3months for that adventure,what was offered was not any better so he left the wife/3 kids over there and returned to 9ja,funding them from 9ja.so what are we all yabbing about.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Oluschenco(m): 2:33pm On Oct 16, 2009
Because you people brag as if Abroad is paradise, and the only means to feel what you enjoy is to make a big demand, so as to bragado here that our man is in earthly paradise.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by superstar1(m): 2:42pm On Oct 16, 2009
well said, all of u should refer to the people leeching you as ur family members and friends.Most likely u were like that u when u were in 9ja and now they are giving u ur dose and u r complaining, i beg send the money jare, make boiz flenj, Proudly 9ja
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by boomlogics: 3:18pm On Oct 16, 2009
Yes most people Think So

But I personally believe you must work hard to achieve any success.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by waledoy(m): 3:49pm On Oct 16, 2009
mikkyphp:

phew!

abi
sayso:

@martinosi I will not say you are lying but if the guy has all that he must be a parasite,cause a friend just got a job with an NGO in Delta state, traveled to Europe for greener pastures but returned to continue the NGO job,my inlaw was a banker for over 5years,traveled to the US with the family in serach of a better job,lucky him,he did not resigned but took his accumulated leave of 3months for that adventure,what was offered was not any better so he left the wife/3 kids over there and returned to 9ja,funding them from 9ja.so what are we all yabbing about.
I wonder oo
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 3:59pm On Oct 16, 2009
hahahah u think it is just friends and families?

How many pms I get from Nairalanders asking me to help them?

Or how the knew I was the right one to bring them out from their misery?

Face it, the poverty level is over 80%

What happened to yahoo yahoo boys? arent they also extorting from overseas?

Oh how about when I go home, and when I got to the market everybody double the prices?!!

By the way , nobody but my parents brought me here, I dont owe anybody but them. I was raised here.

Some people have the right to brag and some dont simple.

Its stupid to be taking pictures on facebook showing that you have money, then the next thing youre begging me to pay your school fees.

Uhh no!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 4:00pm On Oct 16, 2009
na2day?:

@ topic

yeah, i get alot of those calls, i need a laptop, i usually reply, me too but the fact of the matter is some of us don't help the situation, they use credit cards to buy alot of things they will pay for, for the next one year and take those things home to show off, naturally those poor folks think money must grow on trees here

lol grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by adefash(m): 4:43pm On Oct 16, 2009
whenever you ppl from obodo oyibo come home, you flex around creating impression that you have the whole world under your foot.so dont blame those at home for placing high demand on you.ok?? and stop living a fake life
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 4:45pm On Oct 16, 2009
^^ why dont you live your life and stop worrying if they have a "fake life or not"
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Meldrick(m): 5:19pm On Oct 16, 2009
It beats my imagination when people atttribute diseases, high crime rate and other social vices to coutries like Nigeria alone. The United States is rated as the ninth (9) highest in the world in rape cases. It is also rated as the 24th in the world in murder cases. Funnily enough as good as the economy is, the suicidal case is rated as the 7th highest in the world.

I sympathize with a lot of our Nigerian brothers who thought money was littered on the streets of Washington and as a result they denied the other members of the family the right to enjoy the little income they earn here in Nigeria and their families sold all their belongings to get them abroad. When they finally get there, they turn their backs and start creating topics on Nairaland with the caption, ''Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad''?
Now you know money doesn't grow on trees, come back and re-arrange your life but you refuse.

I was in France during one of my leave period and I saw a man who used to be our neighbour, He was much more elderly. When I saw him, he tried to dodge but I called and greeted him. He asked what I was doing there and i explained, after telling me his pathetic story, I advised him to come back but shame wouldn't allow him. It's just a pity. Why won't you be relevant in the country God placed you and be adoured by foreigners. A lot of Africans make names under this underdeveloped state and they are hailed by foreigners. Those are the people respected by foreigners not those who act as liability to foreign nations.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 5:23pm On Oct 16, 2009
i dont think $200K  a year is irrelevant  grin grin

Like I said some people have it, some dont.

Stop making assumptions

and no matter what you say Nigeria is one of the highest in Visa Applications

and we even got our people sneaking out on ships

And you want us to come home?

Seriously?

and why not name diseases!! In a place where bottled water is a need? If you make 1.5mil =N= a year and die because of contaminated water, what then?

Half of the americans dont know what malaria is here, keep boasting, many more people are trying to leave the country than stay in it.  cheesy
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 5:29pm On Oct 16, 2009
Meldrick:

It beats my imagination when people atttribute diseases, high crime rate and other social vices to coutries like Nigeria alone. The United States is rated as the ninth (9) highest in the world in rape cases. It is also rated as the 24th in the world in murder cases. Funnily enough as good as the economy is, the suicidal case is rated as the 7th highest in the world.

Ok Nigeria is just as bad, it is just that the crimes are not reported. How many people are killed with jungle justice? How many murders are acted in the name of religion, and are never known to outsiders?

they have no way of tracing an indivdual!

Like one person said, "if you cant pay your landlord you run away to your village" what kinda business indidvual would want to own apartments with tenants like that?

I would rather a crime in the US than a crime in Nigeria, you know why?

because there are no repercussions, no true justice, everyone fends for themselves, and you call it better?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by OvieE: 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2009
platinumnk:

i dont think $200K a year is irrelevant grin grin

Like I said some people have it, some dont.

Stop making assumptions

and no matter what you say Nigeria is one of the highest in Visa Applications

and we even got our people sneaking out on ships

And you want us to come home?

Seriously?

and why not name diseases!! In a place where bottled water is a need? If you make 1.5mil =N= a year and die because of contaminated water, what then?

Half of the americans dont know what malaria is here, keep boasting, many more people are trying to leave the country than stay in it. cheesy

Thank you.

1.5 million naira a years is nothing. Lets just say that is what I make in two good months with hustle.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by smoothman(m): 6:04pm On Oct 16, 2009
Hello Landers,

You Guyes are doing alot of Nice Replies, Well i would like to know what you think and believe in Europe And America,
Which of the two continents do you think or sure about that is more easier on residing and making a good Legal living,
Also what do you think about Austria, Give me Your frank advice,
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by OvieE: 6:20pm On Oct 16, 2009
smoothman:

Hello Landers,

You Guyes are doing alot of Nice Replies, Well i would like to know what you think and believe in Europe And America,
Which of the two continents do you think or sure about that is more easier on residing and making a good Legal living,
Also what do you think about Austria, Give me Your frank advice,

I will say US or Canada but it depends on individual choice. In US, you can settle quick if you have your paper.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by smoothman(m): 6:30pm On Oct 16, 2009
OvieE@
Tell me how easy is it to get a working or resident permit in Europe, And can a family member assist one in getting it if the person is on visit,
Also is it possible for one who is having an European working permit to travel to the US or Canada,and apply for work there
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by smoothman(m): 6:41pm On Oct 16, 2009
Nairaland@

Accroding to what he told me before, He applied for a Letter Of Invitation for me from Immigration over there in Austria, they gave him the Form which he filled his part and sent me my part, But on the confirmation cert which they are supposed to send to me, they said that they dont accept Travellers travelling with a Virgin Passport,
so he then told me to go and apply for a visa through an Agent, And when my Visa is out, I will book a flight and on arrival, he will pick me up and we both will go to the company were he works and find me a job there, With that i will apply for a Working Permit, And while working i can then go for other backing up documents on my residence,

Thats How he told me when i called on the phone, With my uncle who he is marrying his sister,
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 7:02pm On Oct 16, 2009
@smooth- I dont know much about the visa process, try the threads for visa applications and the like.

they have people there to answer your questions
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Meldrick(m): 7:08pm On Oct 16, 2009
platinumnk:

Half of the americans dont know what malaria is here, keep boasting, many more people are trying to leave the country than stay in it.  cheesy

You are really funny. Is malaria the only disease that kills? I'll give you the list of diseases that consume most lives on a regular basis in the US.

1. Malignant tumor
2. Cerebrovascular diseases
3. Diseases of the heart.

How many Nigerians do you hear have such diseases in Nigeria. That's why u hear the doctors give them a time frame to live. My dear wake up to reality.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 8:11pm On Oct 16, 2009
Meldrick:

You are really funny. Is malaria the only disease that kills? I'll give you the list of diseases that consume most lives on a regular basis in the US.

1. Malignant tumor
2. Cerebrovascular diseases
3. Diseases of the heart.

How many Nigerians do you hear have such diseases in Nigeria. That's why u hear the doctors give them a time frame to live. My dear wake up to reality.

U think people dont get cancer in Nigeria?
Wake up biko!
you are comparing advanced diseases with diseases main countries have wiped out years ago.
Have nigeria made any disease non-exsistant? Dont even go there buddy!

Are really trying to say nigeria is better than the US? 
In the same place where doctors perform surgeries under flashlights?

the same reason why Yardua flies out the country to get medical treatment?!!

Or reason why infection rates is so high in Nigerian hospitals is due to non-aspectic techniques?

And you havent answered me? Why THE HELL WOULD I HAVE TO DRINK BOTTLED WATER?

nigeria cannot even give you the basic needs of life: water , electricty, 24hour internet<-ok im kidding grin

but seriously, you cant even drink the water, and every few hours you have to run to crank up the gen.

Is that life?

Or maybe you live on Lagos Islands and not really feeling what every body else is!

Can u tell me why Nigeria has the highest rate of Visa Applications

Can You tell me why our people are locked up in Libya?

I know too many hardworking honest people in Nigeria who are jobless, what about them?

Abeg basic life is better here than there.

At least when I fall I can call 911 and someone will come to take me to a hospital

I fall in 9ja, when sh!ts on me lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by honeric01(m): 8:19pm On Oct 16, 2009
platinumnk:

U think people dont get cancer in Nigeria?
Wake up biko!
you are comparing advanced diseases with diseases main countries have wiped out years ago.
Have nigeria made any disease non-exsistant? Dont even go there buddy!

Are really trying to say nigeria is better than the US?
In the same place where doctors perform surgeries under flashlights?

the same reason why Yardua flies out the country to get medical treatment?!!

Or reason why infection rates is so high in Nigerian hospitals is due to non-aspectic techniques?

When i came down I prayed that I would never be sick in 9ja.

SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT NOW? THAT THOSE OF US LIVING HERE IN NIGERIA SHOULD JUST RUSH TO US EMBASSY TO QUEUE FOR VISA OR WHAT? YOU CAN LIVE IN AMERICA FOR 200 YEARS AND STILL NOT HAVE A DECENT LIVING, DON'T THEY HAVE HOMELESS PEOPLE IN AMERICA? DOES EVERYONE GET HELP FROM THEIR GOVERNMENT AS YOU CLAIM? IF THEY TAKE CARE OF ALL THEIR CITIZENS, WHY THEN DO SOME ENGAGE IN CRIME (FINANCIAL) AND WHEN THEY ARE CAUGHT, THEY SAY, THEY WERE TRYING TO HAVE A DECENT LIFE,

ANSWER ME, DOES PEOPLE LIVING IN NIGERIA LESS THAN HUMANS? CAN YOU AUTHORITATIVELY TELL ME THAT YOU ARE HEALTHIER THAN 20% OF NIGERIANS LIVING IN NIGERIA?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

NAF Fighter Jet Loses Radar Contact In Borno, Whereabouts Unknown / Apapa/oshodi Gridlock: Lagos Begins Removal Of Tankers Today / Interview Questions For Family Reunion Visa Application - My Personal Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.