Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? (2079 Views)

Breaking News! Probe Me And See Nigeria Explode!! OBJ To Buhari. / Letters Of OBJ To GEJ And Iyabo Obasanjo To Her Father for sale. Very funny. / OBJ To Appear Before Reps June 28 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by abiodunade(m): 10:29am On Dec 22, 2006
The crisis in the Presidency is taking a serious dimension in the country, report have it that OBJ ordered ATIKU official jet to be grounded for no reason and the order was not communicated to the VP at all, except when he got to the Presidential winge of the Airport.
I think with OBJ latest action on his VP, it will make our democracy a laughing stock at the international community that what Nigeria is practising is not democracy but autocracy, futhermore,it will portrait OBJ as someone who does not tolerant the VP by denying him the constitutional benefits that are attached to Office of Vice President. If OBJ think is not comfortable in working with VP, he should instigate the National Assembly to impeach the VP rather than deny VP the constitutional benefit accrue to his office as seating VP.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by Mariory(m): 4:55pm On Dec 22, 2006
Does the constitution stipulate that the VP be allowed access to the jet?
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by abiodunade(m): 5:25pm On Dec 22, 2006
Mariory:

Does the constitution stipulate that the VP be allowed access to the jet?
If you real understand 1999 Constitution, u wil see that the Presidency is not about one person, rather for the President and Vice President, that is why the Constitution emphasis that the President most have a running mate before the person can be deem elected to the office of President. The Vice President has his official jet, just has the president one. Report have it that the jet was bought in 2002 specfically for office of the Vice President. The Presidential Fleet is made up of jets for the President. Vice President, Senate President and Speaker of House of Representative. VP in official capacity should not be deny official jet.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by stanech: 5:51pm On Dec 22, 2006
@ALL For your information Atiku is no more the VP of Nigeria. Infact he stoped being the VP when he was selected the presidential candidate of AC. He should not only be stoped from usingg the Jet he should be impeached for in anti party activities.

The guy is a dumbass, he is just too greedy. I wonder the kind of president he would become if he could not respect his boss.

The guy is just too foolish
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by omofineboy(m): 5:56pm On Dec 22, 2006
In my own opinion its very wrong for the President not to give the Vice President wht belongs to him under a democary, it wrong, its bad, dictatorial and selfish, whtever that is hapening between them, the jets belong to Nigerians and no Obasanjo, he should be manly enough to let Atiku use it until atiku is impeached which is the only way to remove him. until hes removed by the National Assembly he is still the Vice President and should be acorded the respect and honour
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by stanech: 6:04pm On Dec 22, 2006
Omofineboy u are a baby politician.

Read the handwriting it;s on the wall there is no way Atiku can remain in that office for another 3days please read this the guy is just foolish

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by justin04(m): 10:38pm On Dec 24, 2006
Even though I do not like Atiku. Obasanjo i think is ruling Nigeria like he is dictating to his kids. How can you disgrace the second in command because he is not on ur side?
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by mowapa(m): 12:10am On Dec 25, 2006
Just recently Nigeria and OBJ were effectively held captive by Abacha and only by God grace did OBJ come out of this alive, to know think that this same man would now be playing God over the affairs of this nation at best makes me to marvel at the creator awesome power. This country is bigger than Atiku and OBJ and "they" shall find out that "HE" that protects NIGERIA does not sleep. This too shall pass. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by sbucareer(f): 11:32am On Dec 25, 2006

I did a bit of research towards democracy. Great Britain and the USA are the major players in this political orientation.

I will concentrate on the UK as I know more about them as I live there at the moment.

Great Britain practice un-written constitution which means their laws are not written and not rigid like the USA or Nigeria. They have a Parliamentary system of government, hence legislature.

There are two chambers in the parliament:

1. The house of Lords (Upper chamber/house of Parliament)
2. House of Commons (The lower chamber/house of Parliament)

As a monarch society, the Queen is head of state, thus the United Kingdom. Now let see how the power is shared and who is supreme.

The Queen do not have any constitutional powers or parliamentary powers, she is there as a symbol of unity to the Republic or Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, thus United Kingdom.

The House of Lords are the most important people in the Parliamentary system. The head is called the Lord Chancellor. They are not elected but inherit their title, most are aristocrats, lords, distinguished member of the society. For example the Judge of the United Kingdom after retirement can be appointed as a member of the house of lord (Life Peers). The other people are hereditary Peers and top civil servant.

The House of Lords makes laws, and amend the constitution where appropriate. They cannot turn laws in a bill. But they can delay laws almost indefinitely.

Now, the House of Commons are the legislatives. It is made up of MP's (Members of Parliament) they are elected by the subjects of the country i.e. through vote (Election). But before election each party chooses who will be their leader (Prime Minister) if the party wins the election. The PM elects his cabinets before general election and can reshuffle.

Now, this is where it is tricky, the PM CAN sack and appoint new cabinet minister. The leaders of house of common are supreme rulers of Great British. They make laws, pass bill, but cannot select who becomes the commissioner of police, control media and they write speech for the queen to read every New Year at the upper chamber of the parliament.

Party members can force the PM to resign through internal referendum or etc. Any special political report MUST come from 10 Downing Street (A notion to depict that it is from the commons)

Now, if Tony Blair VP (Vice President) hence deputy Prime Minister John Prescott left the party and join another political party. Mr PM will automatically release a paper from 10 downing street that his DPM is been sacked or suspended and all special privileges stop pending inquiry.

Remember, that the commons rule supreme in GB and have the legislative power to do most of the legislature of GB. But there are some channels they have to go to make it authentic.

References

1. [url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+Parliament]Parliament[/url]
2. [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3A+House+of+Commons]House of Commons[/url]
3. [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3A+House+of+Lords]House of Lords[/url]
4. Hereditary Peers
5. Proportional Representation
6. [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3A+first+past+the+post]First past the post[/url]
7. [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3A+single-member+districts]Single member districts[/url]
8. [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3A+Life+Peers]Life Peers[/url]
9. Legislature
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by stranger12: 11:35am On Dec 25, 2006
@ all
you clamour for democracy without knowing what it means.

There are a set of rules to follow -  1999 Constitution is what must be adhered to.

Atiku is technically no longer the VP. The constitution states that the VP and President should be of the same party. Atiku is no longer in PDP since he is the flag bearer of another party.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by otokx(m): 11:43am On Dec 25, 2006
atiku is still a member of the PDP
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by stranger12: 11:53am On Dec 25, 2006
hey! You cant be in two parties
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by otokx(m): 11:55am On Dec 25, 2006
Is there a law prohibiting that?
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by sbucareer(f): 12:23pm On Dec 25, 2006
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by mamaput(f): 12:47pm On Dec 25, 2006
And who the hell is paying the holiday for the vise?
Tax payers.
The trip was not official so it should not even have come into question.
that JET BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE AND NOT FOR PRIVATE HOLIDAY:
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by otokx(m): 1:10pm On Dec 25, 2006
@Sbucareer

which section of the constitution are you referring to?
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by sbucareer(f): 1:49pm On Dec 25, 2006

Look at Chapter VI - The Executive, part 1 under section 142 sub-sections (1) and (2) and
section 146 sub-section (3)(c)

"142. (1) In any election to which the foregoing provisions of this Part of this Chapter relate, a candidate for an election to the office of President shall not be deemed to be validly nominated unless he nominates another candidate as his associate from the same political party for his running for the office of President, who is to occupy the office of Vice-President and that candidate shall be deemed to have been duly elected to the office of Vice-President if the candidate for an election to the office of President who nominated him as such associate is duly elected as President in accordance with the provisions aforesaid. "

The house of assembly has got him. OBJ need to submit his (Atiku) resignation letter to the house. The house only need three-third vote to sack him. They do not need to go to court, remeber that that the assembly is a chamber with upper house (Chamber) and lower chamber, the Representative. Both of these bodies are law maker and legislature.

I don't know why they have to go to court. Court is for civil matters. Ruling matters should be sorted by the national house of assembly - at least we practice written constitution.

Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by Jaybaba(m): 7:05pm On Dec 27, 2006
@ SBU Career.
Do not mis inform the public by feeding them some excerpts from GB.

The British practice parliarmentary democracy while we practice presidential system.
There, the parties choose their PM and he chooses his cabinet from their fold. They are his ministers and he can sack them. It is applicable here in Nigeria as well but not in the case of the VP. OBJ can sack any minister who errs or even reschuffle the cabinet at will.

Dem no born am well, him and him party, to sack the VP. He has no right whatsoever to refuse the man the aircraft. That is an illegal thing to do and amounts to a breach or infringement on the rights of the VP. It is even an impeachable offence for OBJ to do a thing like that.

Now on the part of Atiku, he is the only 1 human being our 1999 constitution mandates to be from the same political party as the president. If he wants to contest the office of the president, during this 2007 election, he must either seek to contest within his constitutionally bound party which is the PDP or resign his post as VP, join another party and contest.

Legally speaking two errors have occured and must be corrected. Atiku has been nominated the candidate of the AC while he is still VP which is error number 1. OBJ has sacked him which is error number 2.

INEC will not and cannot recognise Atiku as AC's candidate because he is still the VP until he resigns, is impeached or dies. This is a very simple conclusion explained to us by our learned friends. It is either he resigns as VP so that INEC can recognise his nomination as AC candidate or he offers his unreconisable AC candidature to someone else or better still to the party. Se fi ne, shi ke na.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by DRANOEL(m): 7:20pm On Dec 27, 2006
@sbu
are you so out of tune that you are using the british constitution which is parliamentry on nigeria? cry

atiku"s removal can not stand
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by sbucareer(f): 10:25pm On Dec 27, 2006

I am not using parliamentary system to equate the constitutional system of Nigeria. Whether it is UK, USA, Spain or Norway where constitutional monarchy is practice, democracy is all the same. The only difference is the naming system.

Senate means the upper chamber of the house of assembly some country like the UK call it house of Lords. Nigeria calls it the Senate house which is in the upper house of assembly, in UK it is refer as House of Lords. In congressional system of government like the one USA practice, the Congress is the main legislative body consisting of two houses, the Senate House and the House of Rep. All the system is called Parliamentary or Congressional system respectively, which is known in Nigeria as the Executive or the office of his Excellency.

Whether it is written or un-written constitution all the democratic rule of legislature follows the decision of the house of assembly to execute law and enforce punishment.

If you bother to understand my post, the story was a reference pointer to the people we copy their governmental system of rule, and how they execute and enforce their laws.

OBJ, like I said do not have mandate to deny or sack Atiku, they ONLY people that can do that is the lower house of the National assembly, which is the house Rep. They need two-third of vote to sack Atiku.

Coming to OBJ case, we need to look at the constitution and find where the law punishes the President for excessive use of power.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by LoverBwoy(m): 12:56am On Dec 28, 2006
@ Dranoel and jaybaba

what do you say about the Nigeria law quoted above?

Now on the part of Atiku, he is the only 1 human being our 1999 constitution mandates to be from the same political party as the president. If he wants to contest the office of the president, during this 2007 election, he must either seek to contest within his constitutionally bound party which is the PDP or resign his post as VP, join another party and contest.
Legally speaking two errors have occurred and must be corrected. Atiku has been nominated the candidate of the AC while he is still VP which is error number 1. OBJ has sacked him which is error number 2.

don't you think you are going around a roundabout again
error number 1 caused error number 2
if he is contesting under another party he will have to relinquish his power wont he?
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by stanech: 9:59am On Dec 28, 2006
Let us sit down and think about this for a while.

Atiku is the presidential flagbearer of AC, member of the PDP and the VP of the country whose president is the leader of the PDP. Now, how dis one be for una ear??

I have not seen any country in the world that run a VP from another Party, I have not seen country in the world where the Vp will not obbey and carry out the orders of his boss and still want to be the VP.

What Atiku should have done was to resign his position, decamp tp AC and run for presidency.

Since he has failed to do that I think Baba has every right to sack him.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by twinstaiye(m): 10:14am On Dec 28, 2006
That is what I have been saying, are we now saying Atiku should be allowed to continue in the office? Definitely, since he decamped to AC and was at the rostrum on that day condemning the government he participated in for closed to 8 years, common sense demand that he should have resigned immediately. By not resigning, it portray the type of a president he want to be to us. Having said this, has any so called human rights, lawyers, civil rights groups said anything about his decamping and glaring condemnation of the government he took part in for 8 years? No, noone deem it fit and it seems everyone see nothing wrong in his action. I bet that is the reason Baba took it upon himself to declare his seat vacant. It was indeed when he did that, that the so called atiku supporters started shouting that OBJ is trying to remove his VP unconstitutionally, whereas it was Atiku himself who commit the first illegality. We wait and see sha! and let the court decide afterall, the case is now in the court. We shall see if our constitution will be interpreted to allow a VP from another party to continue in the office. What an arrant nonsense. The earlier Atiku resign, the better for him not to disgrace himself further. Besides, let him dare and come to Nigeria after his holiday, he will certainly be picked up by EFCC since he has lost his immunity.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by sbucareer(f): 11:09am On Dec 28, 2006

How many times a year does the senior cabinet ministers travel abroad for holidays? Do we not have holiday’s destinations in Nigeria and Africa?

who pays for these holidays? If we the tax payer pays for these holidays we should demand the constitution to change the law limiting them to certain amount of holidays a year. Average Nigerian cannot afford to go holidays even once a year. But the ruling party gallivant the whole world any time they please with our money and do what ever they wishes like changing from one party to another without proper thought and consideration for the rule of law and their subjects that appoint them there, bastards.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by Afam(m): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2006
Why do many of us get into a discussion, debate or arguement with very stiff mindsets based on sentiments and bias?

I see a lot of people here supporting Atiku just because they dislike OBJ, not that what the VP did was right in any way.

Such blind commendation or condemnation is hugely responsible for the state of affairs in Nigeria today and it is sad this is happening.

Even if OBJ has been wrong all his life this singular decision on Atiku is right and should be seen as so by all well meaning Nigerians.

Resorting to our enemy's enemy automatically becomes our friend may boomerang sooner rather than later.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by Jaybaba(m): 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2006
It is not because we hate either OBJ or Atiku that make us condemn either or any of them. We believe in due process. I for instance believe both men should be impeached with automatic allacrity on January 14th when the National Assembly resumes seating in the new year. Why? Both men have lost the moral integrity to run this country and have been evidently wasteful.

I do not hate either OBJ or Atiku as persons but I dislike their actions and policies as leaders of Nigeria as these actions and policies have not benefitted Nigerians.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by babasin(m): 2:25pm On Dec 28, 2006
Afam
Even if OBJ has been wrong all his life this singular decision on Atiku is right and should be seen as so by all well meaning Nigerians.

In fact, this is worst thing he will ever do! Rubishing NIGERIAN Constitution in democratic environment!!
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by Afam(m): 2:34pm On Dec 28, 2006
babasin:

Afam
In fact, this is worst thing he will ever do! Rubishing NIGERIAN Constitution in democratic environment!!

And, I assume you believe Atiku hasn't done anything wrong, right?

This is a cause and effect scenario and it is funny and strange how some of us conveniently avoid what led to the pronouncement but are really interested in protecting the constitution when appropriate steps were taken to remedy the mess Atiku created by being the only VP in the world that doubles as a presidential candidate of a rival party.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by Izu1(m): 10:41am On Dec 29, 2006
No matter what happened betwwen Atiku and Obj he is supposed to be loyal to him or resign his position. You can not be a vice president of a country and not be in good relationship with the president. No matter how many wrong things OBj has done but with this one behaviour from Athiefkyu he is worst than him I wonder what president he want's to be.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by Jaybaba(m): 5:13pm On Dec 30, 2006
@ Izu1

You mean Atiku should be loyal to OBJ even at the expense of Nigerians? Loyalty ought to have a boundary. I cannot be loyal to an unjust cause. Atiku is corrupt but he has been able to gain some credibility simply for standing up to oppose 3rd term. I would not vote for him unless he was contesting an election with Abacha or OBJ as the only alternatives. He is the better of the three evils.

No matter what happened betwwen Atiku and Obj he is supposed to be loyal to him or resign his position. You can not be a vice president of a country and not be in good relationship with the president. No matter how many wrong things OBj has done but with this one behaviour from Athiefkyu he is worst than him I wonder what president he want's to be.

We should be careful what stands we take. OBJ has demonstrated more lawlesness and crude behaviour than anyone else in leading Nigeria. Atiku has kept quiet all along simply because he wants to be President some day. Both men are dishonorable, have no virtue and are most innoble. I call on the N.Assy to impeach both men speedily before OBJ illegally disolve the N.Assy which I see him doing any moment from now.
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by Izu1(m): 5:34pm On Dec 30, 2006
My man Jay I agree with you.

I am not saying Obj is a saint all I am saying is that Atiku should have resigned. he has been in the government for six years and things were moving fine until Obj tested his loyalty with the third term issue.

What I expected Atiku to do was to be quiet in the whole third term issue and quietly urge Obj to continue without making any public issue on the statement. Instead, he was going about like a hero saying rubbish about his boss.

My opinion is this Obj shold be left alone to finish his tenure while Atiku should be impeashed becos for now we do not have a VP
Re: Is It Democratic For Obj To Denies Atiku Presidential Jet? by stranger12: 4:24pm On Jan 02, 2007
DRANOEL:

@sbu
are you so out of tune that you are using the british constitution which is parliamentry on nigeria? cry

atiku"s removal can not stand
Jaybaba:

@ SBU Career.
Do not mis inform the public by feeding them some excerpts from GB.

The British practice parliarmentary democracy while we practice presidential system. . .

@ Jaybaba and DRANOEL
I am ashamed that you attacked sbucareer after he did a "cut and paste" from the Nigerian Constitution of 1999 the only valid constition on which this federation is based

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Buhari Have An Alcohol Issue? Why Is His Speech Slurred And Impaired? / Catholic Bishop Of Owerri Moves Into Inec Office: Vote / Tribalistic Poster Of The Year 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.