Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,451 members, 7,801,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain (5891 Views)

‘Forget About the Stigma’ Male Nurses Explain Why Nursing Is a Job of the Future / Job Duties Of A Secretary In A Law Firm / What Are The Duties Of A Sales Manager. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Perpetual459: 1:50pm On Sep 26, 2016
Hello,pls can someone tell me the duties of compliance manager in an organization, I Googled it but I need an explanation from an experienced fellow

1 Like

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by holuwatobhy(m): 6:42am On Sep 27, 2016
K
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by lonelydora: 6:43am On Sep 27, 2016
When and How did you submit CV bro? grin

2 Likes

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Nobody: 6:44am On Sep 27, 2016
As the name implies, his duty is to ensure compliance, by the company with concerned regulatory agencies and statutory regulations.

The business of the company will inform the agencies and regulations they are to look out for. Generally however, companies have to ensure compliance with the Corporate Affairs Commission and FIRs. If you are the compliance manager in question, you can start with those two. With them, you have to file certain returns every year, month, etc etc,

Additionally, you have to research regulatory agencies linked to the kind of business your company is into. If for example you are into household food packaging, then you know you are going to be dealing with NAFDAC and maybe Standard Organisation of Nigeria.

Thanks.

18 Likes

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by gingger(m): 6:47am On Sep 27, 2016
Perpetual459:
Hello,pls can someone tell me the duties of compliance manager in an organization, I Googled it but I need an explanation from an experienced fellow

From the little I know, the compliance manager or unit per say are in charge of e forcing policies of d organization, dress ethics and to some extent intern auditing, they report to nobody except their boss dats if u re not d boss.

In fact ehn, that sections is just too sweet if u know wat u re doing.. U re a boss cos u can even issue query to ur superior if there is a breach of policy.

That's d little I know.

Congrt op on ur new appointment

6 Likes

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Mockinbird: 6:49am On Sep 27, 2016
With just "two comments" and this gets to FP?! Happy Recession.
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by simplex2: 6:49am On Sep 27, 2016
In a layman language, you are the police of the organization: enforcing policies, organising/performing internal audits, detecting non-compliance and correcting it.

Compliance manager can be in charge of quality asusrance and quality control if it's a production firm.

A very interesting field, you do well by ensuring your company's internal policies and QMS if it's an ISO company are implemented to the letter.

My 2 kobo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 27, 2016
Compliance can be defined as conformity in fulfilling official requirements. Therefore the compliance manager will take the lead in managing activities that will help the organization to demonstrate "compliance" to regulatory and company policies.

I expect that he will also be proactive about ensuring that systems are in place to monitor this compliance on a regular basis. For example if there is a requirement to "conduct monthly calibration and report to regulators on an annual basis", he shouldn't wait to see the annual report. He should have a means to ensure that the monthly calibration is also being done.

This is where Internal Compliance Audits come in. SO he manages the audits and even sometimes audit the audit process to ensure effectiveness.

2 Likes

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by GeoOla25(m): 6:51am On Sep 27, 2016
why on earth will you apply for a role without knowing it duties... please where did you submit CV , make we compliance manager storm the place!
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by donbuchi1(m): 6:52am On Sep 27, 2016
Why do you have google.com.ng
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by jazinogold(m): 6:53am On Sep 27, 2016
He ensures all the operations procedures n policies are adhered to...n mete out punishment wen d needs arise!
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by myrrtle(m): 6:53am On Sep 27, 2016
What does a Compliance Officer do?
Compliance officers may do some or all of the following:
read, interpret and implement required policies, procedures and laws
liaise with compliance investigators and concerned parties
evaluate and analyze the organization’s practices and operations to identify issues of non-compliance
report non-compliance issues to management
give advice on compliance issues
write and present reports on compliance issues
stay up to date with regulatory developments
provide compliance training and guidance to the organizations employees

source: http://careersome.com/law-and-security/compliance-officer.html

1 Like

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by toocoded: 6:56am On Sep 27, 2016
gingger:

From the little I know, the compliance manager or unit per say are in charge of e forcing policies of d organization, dress ethics and to some extent intern auditing, they report to nobody except their boss dats if u re not d boss.

In fact ehn, that sections is just too sweet if u know wat u re doing.. U re a boss cos u can even issue query to ur superior if there is a breach of policy.

That's d little I know.
Congrt op on ur new appointment
Gbosa for ya! U forgot to include that the CM could sacked if compliance level is intolerable.

1 Like

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by drake2(m): 6:57am On Sep 27, 2016
lol@the post. In an ideal atmosphere? The compliance Manager compels u to stick to the SOP ( Standard Operational Procedures). But in Naija? It may mean " u scratch my back... and I scratch......?

I may be wrong though.
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Rainmaker69(m): 6:58am On Sep 27, 2016
The duties of a Compliance Officer are very similar to and often overlap with the legal department. In fact, the modern trend is to rename the legal department as Compliance Dept.

The Compliance Officer is responsible for ensuring that the organisation meets all its external and internal legal and regulatory responsibilities and obligations.
External obligations are between the organisation and regulators and/or the general public.
Internal obligations are to its staff and other stakeholders (shareholders, creditors, directors, vendors etc).

Compliance officers are traditionally lawyers but it's not uncommon to find auditors, forensics personnel and so on, depending on the requirements of the sector in which the organisation operates.

Nigeria has an Ethics & Corporate Compliance Institute charged with the responsibility of training and accreditation of compliance personnel.

I hope this helps.
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by akman(m): 7:00am On Sep 27, 2016
A compliance officer or unit is saddled with the responsibility of ensuring that the institution and it's staff complies wit the laws of the laws that affect their business, regulations made by their regulatory body, likewise the policies of the institution itself. They are oftentimes seen as spies by their colleagues just like auditors and control officers. It is their responsibility to be abreast with new laws and regulations that affects the operations of their company and is usually headed by a senior person if it is a financial institution
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:13am On Sep 27, 2016
The compliance officer (CCO) of a company is the officer primarily responsible for overseeing and managing regulatory compliance issues within an organization. The CCO typically reports to the Chief Executive Officer or Chief Operations Officer.
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by henryadex(m): 7:25am On Sep 27, 2016
environmental compliance safety compliance etc
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by SMT042(m): 7:31am On Sep 27, 2016
Gaborone:
As the name implies, his duty is to ensure compliance, by the company with concerned regulatory agencies and statutory regulations.

The business of the company will inform the agencies and regulations they are to look out for. Generally however, companies have to ensure compliance with the Corporate Affairs Commission and FIRs. If you are the compliance manager in question, you can start with those two. With them, you have to file certain returns every year, month, etc etc,

Additionally, you have to research regulatory agencies linked to the kind of business your company is into. If for example you are into household food packaging, then you know you are going to be dealing with NAFDAC and maybe Standard Organisation of Nigeria.

Thanks.
You hit it bro !

1 Like

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Exponental(m): 7:36am On Sep 27, 2016
The title defines it... Compliance with certain requirements and specifications. Most likely, Safety compliance too.
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by mafioso47(m): 7:36am On Sep 27, 2016
Risks Management also.
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Chilug(m): 7:38am On Sep 27, 2016
Were kiss you not giving a JD for the position. Your jd will spelt out all your functions
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Lexusgs430: 7:51am On Sep 27, 2016
Perpetual459:

Compliance in all ramifications that involves the company, legislation, clients, governments, 3rd parties (in short everything that involves compliance)
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 27, 2016
Which kind of business is it?

In short, you are the "police" ensuring that the correct processes & methodology's are followed
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by ohmyade(m): 8:15am On Sep 27, 2016
It depends on your job coverage. In my case, I cover both internal and external aspects of the company.

I am a qualified accountant. It is a big job and depending on the size, you'll definitely need a team.

EXTERNAL
Ensure company meet all regulatory report requirements as and when due viz: Sec/Firs/Frcn/Cac/son/Irs etc etc

Fulfil company's set CSR

Monitor new developments & innovations in the outside world and report.

Obtain pass clearances for all of the above and keep file

INTERNAL
Write and update COPs/SOPs (procedures or policies)
Train and retrain relevant staff
Go for relevant trainings yourself
Seek experts opinion where it's not your field
Ensure staff read, understand and sign the cops
Set deadlines/targets
Make periodical reports
Follow up on correctional issues
Highlight areas of weaknesses & strengths
Encourage punishment & rewards
Plan ahead eg Budgeting
Set up controls & highlight deviations

Above all, be focused and friendly otherwise people will see you as an enemy and thwart your goals.

1 Like

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by AntiWailer: 8:21am On Sep 27, 2016
Gaborone:

Thanks.

Spots on dear

1 Like

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by dfrost: 8:34am On Sep 27, 2016
Gaborone:

Thanks.

Correct response. For instance for Environment, ISO 14000, for Quality Management System, it's ISO 9001, for Information Systems, it's ISO 27001.

Just like the word, it means complying to standards governing your industry/sector.

1 Like

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Tommymoi(m): 8:39am On Sep 27, 2016
Gaborone:

Thanks.
God bless u. I love ladies who are intelligent

2 Likes

Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by dfrost: 8:41am On Sep 27, 2016
Mockinbird:
With just "two comments" and this gets to FP?!
Happy Recession.

The topic is frontpage worthy. This is what Nairaland used to back then. I was viewing back then. Now?... Hmmm
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by bolivnnaija: 9:45am On Sep 27, 2016
Gaborone:

Thanks.

Hmmmmmmm... Really?
Re: Compliance Manager Duties,pls Explain by Elhabeeb1(m): 10:43am On Sep 27, 2016
He monitors the implementation of both external and internal policies guiding the operations of the firm.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Salary Of An Assistant Lecturer In A Federal University / My Story As Third Class Graduate / 11 Best Places To Learn For Free Online (& Get A Certificate Of Completion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.