Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,119 members, 7,807,380 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" (33834 Views)

Biafra ‘Ministers’: DSS Puts Soludo, Utomi, Jerry Gana, Labaran Maku Under Watch / Biafra: Zionists Form Interim Government, Utomi, Nwodo, Soludo, Gana Make List / $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by undecidedYoruba: 2:47pm On Sep 26, 2016
A former Governor of the Central Bank, Chukwuma Soludo, has insisted that senior lawyer, Femi Falana, apologise for making incorrect allegations.
Mr. Falana had called for Mr. Soludo’s probe, after he accused the former bank chief of doling out $7 billion to commercial bankers while he was in office. The Senior Advocate claimed that the loan was never returned by the beneficiary banks.
Mr. Soludo has, however, clarified the disbursements; saying it was never a loan, but deposits placed in the appropriate banks by the federal government.
“I can’t believe that the learned and respected Senior Advocate of Nigeria does not know the difference between a bank LOAN and a bank DEPOSIT,” Mr. Soludo said.
The former Central Bank chief added that “none of the 14 Nigerian banks needed a loan or requested for a loan, and the CBN did not grant any loan with our foreign reserves.”

Read Mr. Soludo’s full statement below:

FEMI FALANA CONTINUES TO LIE: I INSIST ON HIS APOLOGY
Chukwuma Charles Soludo

I have just read further statement from Femi Falana in response to mine and his position that he does not need to apologize to me but that instead I may wish to direct my demand for apology to Mr. Festus Odoko (then head of corporate affairs at the CBN). I hereby further wish to state as follows:

When I read Falana’s original statement, claiming that he had “evidence”, that I ‘dolled out’ $7 billion of foreign reserves to banks as a LOAN, I denied the charge and challenged him to publish such evidence. His “evidence” turns out to be a newspaper report quoting the announcement by CBN through Mr. Odoko that “deposits worth $7 billion representing the apex bank’s share of the foreign reserves estimated at about $38 billion has been released to the consortium of bankers” (The Guardian newspaper of 5/10/2006). The same newspaper report noted that the Investment Committee of the CBN (charged with responsibility for deciding where and how our foreign reserves should be kept) approved the decision to allow 14 Nigerian banks with capital base of more than $500 million to be part of the consortium of banks that hold our foreign reserves as deposits.

In all honesty, I can’t believe that the learned and respected Senior Advocate of Nigeria does not know the difference between a bank LOAN and a bank DEPOSIT, and there is no way I would have imagined that he was referring to the deposits with banks as LOAN. As I stated in my earlier response, Nigeria’s foreign reserves are required by law to be kept in foreign currency abroad. This has been kept either as deposits in banks or invested in sovereign instruments such as the US treasury bill. Before 2006, none of the Nigerian banks was considered big enough or with the infrastructure to manage our foreign reserves. Consequently, our reserves were kept with a consortium of other countries’ banks such as JP Morgan Chase, USA, UBS of Switzerland, Citibank, USA, Bank for International Settlement (BIS), Switzerland, etc. Indeed, in much of the 1990s especially under Gen. Abacha, our reserves were almost exclusively kept with BIS Switzerland.

After the consolidation of banks by December 2005 and as part of our long term vision that Nigerian banks should ultimately take charge and manage Nigeria’s entire foreign reserves, the CBN took the patriotic step of allowing the biggest of our banks to join the consortium of other countries’ banks holding our reserves as deposits. The CBN decided as a first step to give the biggest Nigerian banks a small portion of our reserves, $7 billion as deposits, while the remaining $31 billion as at that date remained with other countries’ banks as deposits and other investments.

It is interesting that Femi Falana would refer to the deposits held by Nigerian banks as LOAN while saying nothing about the other deposits with other countries’ banks.

Let me state that none of the 14 Nigerian banks needed a loan or requested for a loan, and the CBN did not grant any loan with our foreign reserves. As I stated in my earlier statement, the CBN Act does not allow the CBN to grant loans with our reserves to banks, and no loan was ever made. Chief Falana is therefore looking for a repayment of a LOAN by banks that never existed in the first instance. Under my tenure, Nigeria’s foreign reserves grew from $10 billion to all time high of over $62 billion and due to our efficient management, Nigeria never lost a penny of it.

Finally, I must say that I don’t believe any of the conspiracy theories flying around, including those who question the motive, timing, and content of his bogus claims, and some even allude to it as a hatchet job. Going into the archives to fish out a newspaper report of 10 years ago about deposits and making up a fantasy story around it to become a loan, could give anyone cause for suspicion. Even several of the allegations against my successor, Emir Sanusi, are laughable and betray a lack of most elementary knowledge of how a bank such as the CBN works. As one of his admirers, I want to believe that this is one of those cases he is proving to be human after all and therefore could get his facts completely wrong. It may be challenging for him to admit his error and apologize, but if he is not on a mission, it is the only honourable thing for him to do.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/211283-7-billion-why-falana-must-apologise-to-me-soludo.html

61 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by undecidedYoruba: 2:53pm On Sep 26, 2016
I keep saying it that the charge and bail lawyer has taken into weeds since his hope of securing work under Buhari hit the rock.

Oga Soludo please sue the poor and hungry lawyer if he fails to apologize.

I only pity the family lands he will be selling to settle you since he has been without job for a long time lipsrsealed

246 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by Chanchit: 2:54pm On Sep 26, 2016
Lmfao! Now Falana won't want to apologize so he won't look like a fool, but for him mind he know say he don f"up.

137 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by Izonpikin: 2:55pm On Sep 26, 2016
Ayeba!!!!!...them don give falana upper cut... grin grin grin

126 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by ificatchmodeh: 2:59pm On Sep 26, 2016
Falana always poking..now see his mess.
Not too good for a san.

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by thesicilian: 3:02pm On Sep 26, 2016
"I have just read further statement from Femi Falana in response to mine and his position that he does not need to apologize to me but that instead I may wish to direct my demand for apology to Mr.
Festus Odoko (then head of corporate affairs at the
CBN).
Pride will not allow the African man to apologize, even when their error is so glaring.
In other news, I wonder why anyone would by-pass people as intelligent and experienced as Charles Soludo & Ngozi Okonjo Iweala to employ Madam "16+6=24 British Accent" as Minister of Finance in a very complex economy like Nigeria's.
Under my tenure, Nigeria’s foreign reserves grew from $10 billion to all time high of over $62 billion and due to our efficient management, Nigeria never lost a penny of it.

157 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by CowHard: 3:02pm On Sep 26, 2016
This Falana is a typical example of the saying that an idle man is the devil's workshop.

Please someone should help him with a job.

And since he knows much about arithmetic and calculations, he should be made to head motor park revenues

129 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by DaGC(m): 3:03pm On Sep 26, 2016
Oya abeg help us withdraw the 'deposit'.

4 Likes

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by jakiedudu(m): 3:05pm On Sep 26, 2016
Charlse Soludo's explanation is clear as day. I remembered then as part of plans to strenghten Nigerian banks to compete favorably with their counterparts internationally, CBN decided to deposit part of the country's international reserve in 14 select Nigerian banks. It wasn't Soludo's express decision. It was a collective decision agreed upon by CBN board and well publised. Clearly Femi Falana got his facts wrong. He mistook ''Deposits'' for ''Loans''.
This is why I hate media trial. Accusing people of corruption on the pages of newspapers does not reduce nor fight corruption. Do your homework and get your facts and evidences right before you accuse someone of corruption.

145 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by basisop(m): 3:10pm On Sep 26, 2016
This na Oga lawyer come for Lectures.

This is difference between knowledge and accusation.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by rapistomenka: 3:12pm On Sep 26, 2016
It shall never be well with Femi Falana.

Making bogus claims and accusing everyone after taking paraga and weed will never be the antidote to being jobless .

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by Ikology(m): 3:15pm On Sep 26, 2016
Lalasticlara your food is readyyyy

9 Likes

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by ahamonyeka(m): 3:15pm On Sep 26, 2016
Hahahahaha soludo when did you become a comedian?a whole falana does not know the difference between a bank loan and a deposite.

97 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by hucienda: 3:23pm On Sep 26, 2016
Ouch.

This Professor of Economics get bad mouth. cheesy

Soludo just took Falana to the cleaners.

131 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by jakiedudu(m): 3:23pm On Sep 26, 2016
undecidedYoruba:
I keep saying it that the charge and bail lawyer has taken into weeds since his hope of securing work under Buhari hit the rock.

Oga Soludo please sue the poor and hungry lawyer if he fails to apologize.

I only pity the family lands he will be selling to settle you since he has been without job for a long time lipsrsealed
You're right. Nobody is saying Charlse Soludo is not corrupt. But to be honest, Falana got it wrong big time on this one.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by sunsewa16: 3:26pm On Sep 26, 2016
Put ur defence on falana then u gat urself to blame,he is now a double face sword and his reputations is on the decline since he dabbled into politics and started speaking on the edges of his mouth like oshomo-ole.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by wheredemdey: 4:26pm On Sep 26, 2016
Falz should just employ his father as manager and official in house costumer... The man is a joke.... Always talking from all sides of the mouth and broke as hell...... You never see accomplished lawyers talking anyhow e.g wole olanipekun... Ngige,Babajide koku etc.... These are very cerebral lawyers with confirmed brain matter

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by kross01(m): 4:33pm On Sep 26, 2016
When you've got your facts right and you've got nothing to hide, that's how you'll be giving out free lectures to people you thought were learned and exposed. What stopped him from challenging Soludo back then when the so called article was published? Just because Soludo gave his lectures recently where he lambasted APC government for their poor handling of the economy and suddenly Mr "learned" Falana remembers that in 2006, he read about Soludo giving "loans" to banks with our foreign reserves. Pathetic what a learned person will let himself be turned into by an unlearned person. Please Mr Falana the bad guy, there's a huge difference between deposit and loan

100 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by huntila(m): 4:38pm On Sep 26, 2016
that policy of deposit was a sound decision. If it were loan banks would be highly indebted now. Falana, prepare your prosecution team. Soludo has his defence team

18 Likes

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by Mujaheeeden: 4:46pm On Sep 26, 2016
What did falana do to deserve this uppercut

123 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by Standing5(m): 4:48pm On Sep 26, 2016
Falana is right. Banks loan out deposits of depositors. For him to deposit money there without interest, it is a loan.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by Montaque(m): 4:50pm On Sep 26, 2016
Hitting Mr. Falana below the belt. Don't mess with a professional in his own field.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by kross01(m): 5:07pm On Sep 26, 2016
Standing5:
Falana is right. Banks loan out deposits of depositors. For him to deposit money there without interest, it is a loan.

Kindly educate me, how much interest have Nigeria earned from the huge ones we've been keeping with the foreign financial houses since we started having foreign reserves.

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by Jimiolay(f): 5:31pm On Sep 26, 2016
Finish him----1 Brutality grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by richidinho(m): 5:31pm On Sep 26, 2016
Pardon him

Na old age

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by Proffdada: 5:32pm On Sep 26, 2016
Clap back grin

Falana'll be like

36 Likes

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by salabscholar01(m): 5:32pm On Sep 26, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by steppin: 5:33pm On Sep 26, 2016
It may be challenging for him to admit his error and apologize, but if he is not on a mission, it is the only honourable thing for him to do.
They're always on a mission... They need to distract people all the time, so they won't know what's really going on.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by funmilade4real(m): 5:33pm On Sep 26, 2016
J
Re: Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" by bolt000(m): 5:33pm On Sep 26, 2016
Well, how many of us is surprised?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

There Was Deliberate Attempt To Deny Igbo Opportunity To Rule Nigeria — Ikpeazu / Shehu Sani Reacts To Buhari And Atiku's Absence From The Presidential Debate / Obaseki & Shaibu Host Edo Kids To Christmas Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.