Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

Hip Hop/rap As It Then Was. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Hip Hop/rap As It Then Was. (518 Views)

Code-switching And Code Mixing In Contemporary Nigerian Hip-hop Music / Hip-hop Legend, LL Cool J Graduates From Harvard University / Popular Hip Hop Act, Dammy Krane Arrested For Credit Card Scam In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hip Hop/rap As It Then Was. by KingDerailer: 4:08pm On Sep 26, 2016
Change is the only constant thing in life, goes a popular saying. Little wonder rap music has evolved with time, becoming more commercialized. But sometimes, one has to stick to what he prefers.
I grew loving rap music by Nigerian artist far back in the late 90's with Weird MC's Allen Avenue and then later on to modenine, Terry da rapman, pharushuz, O.D (overdose), Naughty pin, freestyle, Ruff Rugged & Raw,etc. Other times, listening to African artist like proverb, (Specially liked Amu's 'Attention' song featuring him, etc. And then later on to M.I, Ill bliss, Da Grin, Saucekid, Jesse jags(of Jago times), Vector, etc.
In other words, I prefer rap with the usual characteristics of Strong beats, punchlines, word play, lyrical prowess, Imagery etc.
However, in recent years now (last 5 years or so), listening to 'a normal rap song' in Nigeria has proved to be a herculean task, one has to dig deep if at all he sees. About a month ago, a neighbour was washing his car while the radio was blasting, I heard a song that got me nodding my head and reminded me of my love for rap as it then was. I later googled it and found out it was one of Falz song, chardonnay music Feat. Poe & Chyn from his latest album.
Question is can one still get to find a true rap song in its strict sense? If you know any recently, then pls recommend. I wouldn't mind recommendations from other Africans (love sarkodie) too as I heard some south African rappers like A.K.A and Casper novet are really holding it down.
And BTW, this isn't about trying to sound foreign, it's about rapping in any language but not eroding the basic tenets of rap music.
I don't think it's a Nigerian thing, It's a global problem as some Americans too are complaining, saying Rap/Hip pop is dying. lol...
Even though I sometimes sing and dance to some modern/contemporary rap son
gs, sometimes I forking feel like GIVE ME MY RAP BACK - as it then was.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help: How Can I Lose My V! Rginity Without Pain? / Actress Narrates How A Man She Met Once Gave Her With 500k As A Birthday Gift / Typeset Your Document In Latex 08033147591

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.