Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

24 Shocking Science Facts - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 24 Shocking Science Facts (2830 Views)

Pic: Awesome And Wondrous Science Facts You Probably Don't Know / 100 Science Facts You Should Know / 13 Science “facts” You Thought Were True, But Are Actually Wrong! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

24 Shocking Science Facts by originalKsp(m): 7:26pm On Sep 27, 2016
Shocking Science Facts

1. There are 206 bones in the adult human body while there are 300 in children. As children grow some of the bones fuse together.

2. Almost 80% of the human brain consists of water!

3. The housefly is the most dangerous animal in the world.They transmit more diseases than any other animal because of their habits of visiting animal waste

4. The head has an extensive circulatory network making it possible for the body to lose 40 to 50 percent of its heat through the head.
This fact has been used by most of us, after walking in the sun and we feel hot, which part of the body do we pour water on? The head of course!

5. It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

6. The stapes or stirrup bone located in the middle ear is the smallest bone in the human body . It is approximately 0.28cm (0.11 inches) long.

7. The longest cells in the human body are the motor neurons.
They can be up to 1.37 meters ( 4.5 feet ) long. They run from the lower spinal cord to the big toe.

8. The blue whale can produce sounds up to 188 decibels.
This is the loudest sound produced by any living animal, it can be detected as far away as 530 miles.

9. The letter “J” is the only letter not appearing on the Periodic Table .

10. Lake Mead is in the United State, it is the largest man-made lake.

11. The human eye blinks an average of 4,200,000 times a year.

12. The estimated surface temperature of planet Venus is 462°C, this is the highest for any planet in the solar system.

13. It is unbelievable but it is a fact that the ears of a cricket are located on their front legs, just below the knee.

14. Hummingbirds are the only animals able to fly backwards.

15. Shrimp’s hearts are in their heads.

16. Kangaroos cannot walk backwards.

17. An ostrich’s eye is bigger that its brain

18. Everyone’s tongue print is different.

19. There are more living organisms on the skin of a single human being than there are human beings on the surface of the earth.

20. If your mouth was completely dry, you would not be able to distinguish the taste of anything.

21. Crocodiles swallow stones to help them dive deeper.

22. Giraffes are unable to cough.

23. Starfish don’t have brains.

24. Shark’s teeth are literally as hard as steel.

Source: http://samimath.com/24-shocking-science-facts/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by cassidy1996(m): 7:34pm On Sep 27, 2016
Nice one..
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by gudnex22(m): 9:31pm On Sep 27, 2016
.The letter “J” is the only letter not appearing on the Periodic Table .

Truth
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by acenazt: 10:57pm On Sep 27, 2016
Crocodile toh badt gaaan. Too much sense sotey Dem dey swallow stone.

1 Like

Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by princepee: 12:08am On Sep 28, 2016
Number 3 though...I hate houseflyies
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by DeKen: 12:52am On Sep 28, 2016
Quite educative.

I keep learning everyday.
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by Lordmykel(m): 1:08am On Sep 28, 2016
Mhen starfish dont have brains? I see why patrick starfish in sponge bob behaves that way

2 Likes

Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by matrix199(m): 6:13am On Sep 28, 2016
Very informative
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by Stevsun: 6:40am On Sep 28, 2016
Please am really confused about this now and I need suggestion or opinions from you....am in polytechnic now,just finished HND 1 programm,next semester I will be in HND 2...actually i obtained D.E form to university of ilorin this year and I was given admission...the whole point is,should I leave poytechnic for university or is there anything I can do not to loose the admission....please help out.
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by originalKsp(m): 7:08am On Sep 28, 2016
Lordmykel:
Mhen starfish dont have brains? I see why patrick starfish in sponge bob behaves that way

Starfish lack an actual brain and instead use a complex nervous system to sense the environment.
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by originalKsp(m): 9:56am On Sep 28, 2016
gudnex22:
.The letter “J” is the only letter not appearing on the Periodic Table .

Truth

Also, the letter Q is not present in any existing elements. But, according to the IUPAC nomenclature, the 'yet to be discovered'element having atomic number 114 is named ununquadium.
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by ourema(f): 12:52pm On Sep 28, 2016
25.The ability of crocodile to swallow stone also make it possible for it to escape recession

2 Likes

Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by cooncudee(m): 1:40pm On Sep 28, 2016
Stevsun:
Please am really confused about this now and I need suggestion or opinions from you....am in polytechnic now,just finished HND 1 programm,next semester I will be in HND 2...actually i obtained D.E form to university of ilorin this year and I was given admission...the whole point is,should I leave poytechnic for university or is there anything I can do not to loose the admission....please help out.
run both if you can, it depends on the location of the schools and your pocket
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 28, 2016
Just confirmed number 12. I used to think Mercury is the hottest planet.
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by originalKsp(m): 2:04pm On Sep 28, 2016
ourema:
25.The ability of crocodile to swallow stone also make it possible for it to escape recession

lol...

1 Like

Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by Yeligray(m): 5:55pm On Sep 28, 2016
Wow...this is amazingly educative. Thanks@poster.
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by amunekeuto: 7:45pm On Sep 28, 2016
so, no fact on sex?
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by flokii: 7:56pm On Sep 28, 2016
wow!

so motor neurons are actually longer than d sensory ones. They both form d integral part of the central nervous system tho..

The spinal cord is another vital part one has to protect cos once damaged, sorry is ur case
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by Lordmykel(m): 2:11pm On Sep 29, 2016
originalKsp:

Starfish lack an actual brain and instead use a complex nervous system to sense the environment.
thanks for the info tho patrick starfish in spongebob square pants lacks both a brain and a nervous system
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by thoby99: 2:30pm On Sep 29, 2016
Resin and Hardener (Epoxy) for sale... contact me on 08022390528.
Re: 24 Shocking Science Facts by AsoRockz01(m): 3:21am On Sep 30, 2016
Stevsun:

Since you have been given admission via DE,instead of wasting your time and resources, Drop everything about the hnd2 and move over to the uni. A Degree is better than that HND1 and 2 put together. If I were you,thats what I would do. Don't even consider running both . Best of luck bro.

(1) (Reply)

Why University Of Abuja Installed CCTV Camera In Girls' Hostel / Landlord And Wife Beats Lady For Bring Her Boyfriend Home To Have Fun / Is There Any English Name For This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.