Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,987 members, 7,799,384 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

How To Jump Start A Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Jump Start A Car (11153 Views)

13 Steps To Jump Start A Car / Two Men Jump Start A Car With Ak-47s / How To Jump Start A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Jump Start A Car by lapazi(m): 11:40pm On Sep 27, 2016
If your battery has died, you may be able to use jumper cables to jump start it from some good Samaritan’s vehicle. If you can safely use jumper cables on your vehicle, make sure that the battery on the good Samaritan’s vehicle has at least as much voltage as your own. As long as you hook up the cables properly, it doesn’t matter whether your vehicle has negative ground and the GS’s vehicle has positive ground, or your vehicle has an alternator and the GS’s vehicle has a generator.

To safely jump a start, follow these steps:

1. Take out your jumper cables.
It’s a good idea to buy a set of jumper cables and keep them in the trunk compartment. If you don’t have jumper cables, you have to find a good Samaritan who not only is willing to assist you but who has jumper cables as well.

2. Place both vehicles in Park or Neutral and shut off the ignition in both cars.
Engage both parking brakes as well.

3. Attach one of the red clips to the positive terminal of your battery.
It has “POS” or “+” on it, or it’s bigger than the negative terminal.

4. Attach the other red clip to the positive terminal of the other car.

5. Attach one of the black clips to the negative terminal on the other battery.

6. Attach the last black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t near the battery.
Use one of the metal struts that holds the hood open.

7. Start the working vehicle and let the engine run for a few minutes.

8. Try to start your vehicle.
If it won’t start, make sure that the cables are properly connected and have the good Samaritan run his or her engine for five minutes. Then try to start your car again. If it still won’t start, your battery may be beyond help.

If the jump works and your car starts, don’t shut off your engine! Drive around for at least 15 minutes to recharge your battery. If the car won’t start the next time you use it, the battery isn’t holding a charge and needs to be replaced.

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/car-repair/how-to-jump-start-a-car/

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by lonelydora: 6:04am On Sep 28, 2016
Nice info, but i don't carry pieces of wires in my trunk like all these taxi cars. grin
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by siraj1402(m): 6:24am On Sep 28, 2016
Honestly I love this technology. No need to ask people "help me to push"just ask their permission to use their battery.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by sukkot: 6:25am On Sep 28, 2016
hmmm nice one
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by INTROVERT(f): 6:27am On Sep 28, 2016
OK
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Donprayer(m): 6:27am On Sep 28, 2016
Gud. I was thinking something else

1 Like

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by tmanis(m): 6:28am On Sep 28, 2016
So its not positive to positive and negative to negative.... Nice!

2 Likes

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by naijafella(m): 6:30am On Sep 28, 2016
Thanks. Need to get one ASAP
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by highwaist: 6:30am On Sep 28, 2016
lapazi:
If your battery has died, you may be able to use jumper cables to jump start it from some good Samaritan’s vehicle. If you can safely use jumper cables on your vehicle, make sure that the battery on the good Samaritan’s vehicle has at least as much voltage as your own. As long as you hook up the cables properly, it doesn’t matter whether your vehicle has negative ground and the GS’s vehicle has positive ground, or your vehicle has an alternator and the GS’s vehicle has a generator.

It’s a good idea to buy a set of jumper cables and keep them in the trunk compartment. If you don’t have jumper cables, you have to find a good Samaritan who not only is willing to assist you but who has jumper cables as well.

2. Place both vehicles in Park or Neutral and shut off the ignition in both cars.

6. Attach the last black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t near the battery.

What7. Start the working vehicle and let the engine run for a few minutes.

If it won’t start, make sure that the cables are properly connected and have the good Samaritan run his or her engine for five minutes. Then try to start your car again. If it still won’t start, your battery may be beyond help.

If the jump works and your car starts, don’t shut off your engine! Drive around for at least 15 minutes to recharge your battery. If the car won’t start the next time you use it, the battery isn’t holding a charge and needs to be replaced.

what's effect of jumpstart woking single cell batt with dead dubble cell batt
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Areaboy2(m): 6:31am On Sep 28, 2016
I spent an hour connecting the negative terminal from battery to battery until I read the user manual. Changed it to an unpainted section and it worked.. you won't believe how a tiny detail like this can frustrate your day..

Good info mate...

8 Likes

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by belamour(m): 6:32am On Sep 28, 2016
lapazi:

It Might Also Be The Alternator That Needs To Be Replaced

3 Likes

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by KORLAR(m): 6:32am On Sep 28, 2016
Why should the black clip be on an unpainted metal and not the negative terminal?
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by sheedy407(m): 6:37am On Sep 28, 2016
I can remember when I asked someone to use his battery,he told me "Mr Man,sell your car and use the money to buy battery"

So after buying the battery with the money,which car I go con put am?

3 Likes

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by uvalued(m): 6:40am On Sep 28, 2016
lapazi:

quoting for my future ride
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Coldfeets: 6:40am On Sep 28, 2016
Nice info.

But why is the negative terminal of the working battery connected to the unpainted metal?
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by makaveli902: 6:44am On Sep 28, 2016
Nice Info, that is if there is still a good samaritan left in this country...
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Allwility: 6:48am On Sep 28, 2016
Coldfeets:
Nice info.

But why is the negative terminal of the working battery connected to the unpainted metal?
I think it helps ground the connection... not too sure though.

2 Likes

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by shinebabe(f): 6:56am On Sep 28, 2016
Allwility:

I think it helps ground the connection... not too sure though.

Yeah. But I think connecting -ve to -ve gives you a parallel connection that increases current and isn't safe for the car.

1 Like

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by kingreign(m): 7:03am On Sep 28, 2016
lonelydora:
Nice info, but i don't carry pieces of wires in my trunk like all these taxi cars. grin

no worry, e go be like filmtrick wen e happen grin
by the way, many naija guys are stingy, self-centred, unwilling to help and will cuss u or lie that their car has no petrol or jump starting a car will damage their battery or Brainbox!

2 Likes

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by passyhansome(m): 7:03am On Sep 28, 2016
Jump start cable for Brains should be made availabe to jump start some brains on NL outside ECT
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Proffdada: 7:03am On Sep 28, 2016
grin
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Christardor: 7:07am On Sep 28, 2016
So What Is It Then?
tmanis:
So its not positive to positive and negative to negative.... Nice!
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by SycophanticGoat: 7:13am On Sep 28, 2016
Op, consider those words literally...

You jump out if your car and then start the car... grin

Pretty funny..
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by lonelydora: 7:17am On Sep 28, 2016
kingreign:

no worry, e go be like filmtrick wen e happen grin
by the way, many naija guys are stingy, self-centred, unwilling to help and will cuss u or lie that their car has no petrol or jump starting a car will damage their battery or Brainbox!

grin grin
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by lonelydora: 7:18am On Sep 28, 2016
makaveli902:
Nice Info, that is if there is still a good samaritan left in this country...

Still the same thing.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by dayleke: 7:23am On Sep 28, 2016
Nice
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Allwility: 7:25am On Sep 28, 2016
shinebabe:

Yeah. But I think connecting -ve to -ve gives you a parallel connection that increases current and isn't safe for the car.

Yup, that's correct. -ve to -ve will fry the car.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Okaakoko(m): 7:27am On Sep 28, 2016
the negative terminal of a battery, is always the Same as the car body

1 Like

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by miketayo(m): 7:27am On Sep 28, 2016
shinebabe:

-ve to -ve works fine for me
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Kay03: 7:28am On Sep 28, 2016
shinebabe:

An increased current capacity doesn't have any negative effect on your car. Only increased voltage (ie series connection) can damage your car. It really doesn't matter if you connect to the terminal or to the body. If you check your battery, you'll see that the negative terminal is connected directly to the body of the car.

3 Likes

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by miketayo(m): 7:28am On Sep 28, 2016
Allwility:

Yup, that's correct. -ve to -ve will fry the car.

That is not true, I have done that more than 20 times without frying my car
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by MyMouth(m): 7:30am On Sep 28, 2016
Pls I have not started my car for 2 weeks now because I travelled, I think the ba3 is completely down, I tried starting it but it refused to start, in short, there was no light on the dashboard or anywhere in d car. Pls what do I do?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kia Motors Nigeria Partners With Uber / What's The Best Oil For My 2010 Lexus Rx 350? / 10 Significant Car Care Tips For The Rainy Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.