Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? (3994 Views)

What's Wrong With Mtn's Night Bundle Plan?? / What's Wrong With My Multilinks Modem? Any Ideas? / What Is Wrong With Mtn 3g Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by julery(m): 6:32pm On Dec 22, 2006
dont know whats wrong with starcomms has any body tried downloading with it cause its very frustrating . tried downloading a file of 48mb and its going to takr days.is any 1 having the same probs with me
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by yemupz(m): 12:04am On Dec 24, 2006
Generaly, dial up connections are terrible when it comes to downloading. And if u're actualy trying to download a 48mb file, u better be ready for a nightmare. See if u can download & instal 'download accelerator' it speeds up downloading
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by hayprof(m): 9:22pm On Dec 24, 2006
Just download internet download manager

That Should solve ur slow download rate
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by lagbaja(m): 4:49pm On Dec 25, 2006
I use starcomms too, though sometimes, its really bad, but i actually downloaded a 33MB file in 1hr 17 minutes today
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by buddie(m): 4:20am On Jan 06, 2007
Help o!Starcomms has been restricting some sites on my network.Site like
1.Weblagos.com
2.Multinteractive.com
and some few others,noticed this problem is peculiar to my starcomms link only i really need your help
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by hayprof(m): 10:26am On Jan 07, 2007
Help o!Starcomms has been restricting some sites on my network.Site like
1.Weblagos.com
2.Multinteractive.com
and some few others,noticed this problem is peculiar to my starcomms link only i really need your help

Contact their customer care line Or Visit any of there Starpoint Offices Closest to You
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by profade1(m): 12:50pm On Apr 22, 2007
Buddie,

Don't worry it's not peculiar to your link only. Sometime last November/December I was on a site chesshere.com playing chess when suddenly access was denied. Since then I have not been able to get in. I called their helplines and even went through 2 people I know who work there but was just given the run around. Eventually I was told they blocked access to some sites from their end even though they still deny it officially.

I guess thats how they speak our language.

Anyway if you find a solution to your problem, do let me know.
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by DrDre1(m): 5:17pm On Apr 22, 2007
Hi guys
I use starcommes too.
The download problem can be solved by downloading an accelerator.
On the second issue raised about visiting some sites, there is a way around it
This way, you can visit any site you like wink wink
As a way of confirming it, I used to visit the sites Buddie posted and I was able to.
You can send me a mail and I will send it to your box
I don't want to post it here and just leave it.even on nairaland, someone is watching grin
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by profade1(m): 6:36pm On Apr 22, 2007
hi dr dre,

what's your e-mail address? i sent a mail to dare_coker at hotmail. did u get it?
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by binatrix(m): 7:42pm On Apr 22, 2007
@buddie, i just opened the two(2) sites u said u could not open and am using starcomms Mobile data card in kano. so what could be the problem here with u not opening such sites since it is not starcomms problem?? shocked
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by profade1(m): 8:23pm On Apr 22, 2007
binatrix,

could u please try www.chesshere.com for me please?
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by DrDre1(m): 10:22pm On Apr 22, 2007
@ Prof ade
Yes I got your mail and I've replied.
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by profade1(m): 6:30am On Apr 23, 2007
Dr dre,

sorry oh. but i just checked my box and it's not there. please can u resend it? or perhaps i could call u?

(see how desperate i am?)

thanks.
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by DrDre1(m): 10:59am On Apr 23, 2007
@ Prof Ade
Maybe the mail went into your bulk.
Try and check for it there and let me know if you got it
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by binatrix(m): 12:24pm On Apr 23, 2007
@prof ade, i still opened the chess page. so what could be the problem guys?
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by whitesoftx(m): 12:35pm On Apr 23, 2007
Hi folks,

Its true that Starcomms restricks some sites, I personally, I've experience such problem, but I have a very good relationship with Weblagos CEO and immediately it happens, I calls him and he resolves it. Starcomms blocked some IPs and if you are crucial to visit these websites which does not open, you can use anonymous server temporarily e.g 443proxy.com before it will be ok again. I hope this helps!

=====================

Naija Gurus Rocks! - Watch out, You could be the next Guru of the week! We are Watching you closely!

http://www.naijagurus.com

=====================
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by profade1(m): 12:41pm On Apr 23, 2007
Dr Dre,

It's not in my bulk mail.  can you please send it again.or i could  give you my number , you flash and i call you?

binatrix,

I don't know oh. and i need to get that page opened asap!

helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp anyone, everyone

ps. whitesoftx,

how do i go about doing that?
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by DrDre1(m): 1:05pm On Apr 23, 2007
@ Prof Ade
I have sent it again. Please check well.
I used my yahoo mail box this time.
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by wisemikky(m): 1:08pm On Apr 23, 2007
I really think starcomms and there services suck!
they might have been a able to maintain their telephony business but there internet services suck.
has any of you guys noticed that when you are downloading, u can't do nadda!, it's either you are browsing or you are downloading, no room for multitaskingsking or is it just my connect (i use a CDMA_1X wireless card)
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Apr 23, 2007
i agree starcomms is disappointing i do believe that they restrict some sites for reasons known to them my advise
is if u have a choice forget starcomms
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by profade1(m): 6:30am On Apr 24, 2007
Dr Dre,

Thanks. I have been able to open the site using one of the options though for some reason I can't move pieces. I'll look more into it tonight after work.

Thanks a lot.
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by DrDre1(m): 8:35am On Apr 24, 2007
@ Prof Ade
Okay. You are welcomed
Glad I could be of help.
I believe you should be able to find a way around the problem you still have with the site.
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by harassed(m): 10:23pm On Apr 30, 2007
Look carefully here, Julery, you would find a download accelerator, http://clik.to/chike
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by Ayinke(f): 7:33pm On Mar 12, 2008
I recently moved to Nigeria and subscribed to Starcomms about a month ago. I'm experiencing the same problems wisemikky mentnioned. However, I'm using their CDMA 1x EVDO service. It's supposed to be a broadband connection but it works more like a 56k dial up , when it's working. Most of the time when I try to connect with EVDO, I get a "no service" or "invalid username/password" message. When I connect with 1x I get a "dormant" message even when I'm active or downloading. It can take up to 2 hours to download a file that's 5mb and if the service goes dormant during a download sometimes I have to start over.

I tried to return the product the first week but they didn't want to discuss a refund and kept making excuses. First they were doing upgrades and said the problem would be cleared up in a day a two. Then their technicians told me to upgrade my ram even though my laptop (which is less than a year old) far exceeds the requirements recommended by the manufacturer of their air cards. Some technicians told me the signal in my area is weak, others tell me it's ok. Now the excuse is I'm using a new number and it's going to take time before it's working correctly. How much time? I don't know because they don't return emails or answer their phone and the technicians at their office are full of crap don't have answers. I would have never signed up if I knew they were in the middle of upgrades or if the signal in my area was weak. Personally, I don't think they should take on new customers if the service is not working as advertised because of upgrades. or whatever the problem is. At the very least, they should give us that information beforehand. In another week it will be a month since I subscribed and it doesn't seem like this problem will be resolved anytime soon. Do consumers have any rights here or do we just have to live with being ripped off?
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by ToTolistic: 1:04pm On Mar 17, 2008
starcomms cant be broadband surely! ive given up trying to download anything im happy enough if i get uninterrupted browsing for an hour. Its killing me as i work online and it disconnects me anytime it feels like its not helping my business I need a reliable connection here in port harcourt does it exist or should I give up hope even if it is 2008 and even mauritius is developing a whole wifi island I mean why is this country so behind the times?and customer service please dont make me laugh too hard I dont think thats a course thats ever taught in this country.
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by Ayinke(f): 11:34am On Mar 23, 2008
I heard a few negative things about Starcomms before I signed up but friends suggested that their services might be better here in Abuja and to give them a try. Also, Multilinks wasn't taking new customers at the time because of upgrades. Starcomms advertises the 3G EVDO as broadband but you're right, it isn't. It doesn't matter if I surf during business hours or at 2 am, the connection is always slow.

Before signing up I asked if the service was in my area and they told me it was. But the broadband signal usually is not available and I almost always have to switch to 1x which is dial up speed. When I'm lucky enough to get the broadband signal it disconnects me after a few minutes of use. Another problem: the starter kit (which cost N23,500) came with 250 hours. There is a clock that shows how long you have been connected but there isn't anything that shows the total amount of time spent on your account. You're responsible for adding this up. Every time you visit a technician (which is often), they are going to use your account and the time they spend will not be credited back to you. Seems unfair considering all the problems come from their end. With a real broadband connection, I wouldn't need to use more than 50 hours in a month. But with Starcomms I can spend hours without accomplishing a single task. I can't believe they have the nerve to charge people N15,000+ a month for this. People pay less than half of what Starcomms is charging, for faster and reliable connections, in other countries. There are even places where you can browse for free. Here, it seems like businesses can say whatever it takes to get your money and they are not held accountable for it. And there's too many companies that cut corners to maximize their profits. Who is looking out for the consumer?
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by somze(f): 11:52am On Mar 23, 2008
I'm sorry about your predicament . . . This is Nigeria where the consumer has no Legal protection and is a slave of experience.

The problems you encounter are from the signal strenght in the area. Starcomm probably did not advice you about this. Their coverage is obviously not strong enough in their area. Best you can do is get a signal booster . . . well which is additional cost. Or get someone you can offload the package to and recuperate part of your money.

I wish I could tell you of a cheap (or even reliable) broadband option in Nigeria but the truth is that is all a myth here. The best of them are mostly sporadic and have downtimes everyday. The speed - both ways - too are nothing to write home about.

Do some research about MTN and Glo broadband options.
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by dayooye(m): 4:53pm On Mar 23, 2008
sorry fellows for the problems you encountered with most dialup in nigeria, i have been receiving countless calls from clients too. anyway using an internet accelerator helps sometimes ( www.onspeed.com, www.arteraturbo.com ) they are quite helpful, those companing for blocked sites can use it too because it changes the ip address to dat of united kingdom. its diff from proxy sites cause after installation you browse normally without having to enter desired web adress into the proxy site. but honestly i recommend broadband connection for those who want to download lots of files from the internet. i use direct on pc unwired broadband modem. ok. and the download speed is wonderful. (oyeniyioladayo@yahoo.com, 08023461887)
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by hayprof(m): 6:04pm On Mar 23, 2008
The only thing that got u guys into this is 'consultation / review.
I mean get to knw frm pple dat use nd can say satisfactorily that d speed is good/massive.
ok, i use Starcomms Evdo, with no doubt d conectn speed is awesome.Hw, i get up to 158kb/s speed nd u can only get 2 knw dis using a downld manager. i was able to take a snapshot of my speed.
well, true there r downtimes. . .there was dis time when d connectn jst trips frm Evdo to 1x nd i was like, WHAT?! dis continued 4 like a week. i cald cuCare nd they i advisd i go 2 em office, which i did. the only thing d 'engineer' did was to create a new netwrk connectn, :gush: plenty nonsense! wen he was tru i had 2 sit nd browse @ thier office 2 b sure b4 leaving, nd well it was all cool.
Bt 2 cover it all up i use it @ Allen,ikeja nd 5 other PC r connected on a wlan. my total dwnlded files in a mnth is up to 12gb+
*Locatn is a major factor (do u xpect em to offer crap service in Ikeja.)
-Peace!
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by Ayinke(f): 8:18pm On Mar 24, 2008
Thanks somze and dayooye. I have a feeling I will just end up selling it but I will look into getting an accelerator and at some of your other suggestions first.
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by earthrealm(m): 5:11am On Mar 26, 2008
try bourdex, aka visafone, hv been using it 4 a while now, n i am happy with it,
its not as if its prob free, them dey get their glitches once in a while,,,but it is usually resolved within days n their customer service responds asap, unlike starcomms, if u dey ph, their office is in evo rd gra
Re: What's Wrong With Starcomms Internet? by diehard(m): 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2008
@earthrealm, do bourdex cover PH very well cos i went to their office about a yr ago and them seems to cover selected part of the town and my area (Ada-george) was not covered by thier network

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Laptop Cannot Recognize My Battery / We designed WWW.OCL.COM.NG, LET US HELP YOU DESIGN YOURS... / Where Can I Get Uk Used System In Ibadan?... Tank U

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.