Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,155 members, 7,807,518 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job (9689 Views)

4 Funny Ways To Impress Interviewers At Any Interview And Get The Job / The Job Factory / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:26am On Sep 28, 2016
The thank you letter after an interview is truly the tests of many managers. You would be surprised at how many hiring managers will immediately disqualify someone if they have not received a written thank you after the interview. Like it or not, thank you letter is a must. Whether it’s an informational interview or traditional job interview, a hand written or even a typed thank you letter via email will almost seal the deal if you are running neck with another candidate for the job. Why not take the opportunity to stand out from the competition by writing a thank you letter. Check out these five more reasons:

PROVES INTEREST

When you send a written thank you letter, you are displaying your interest in the opportunity. I recommend that you always state why you are interested, referencing something specifically discussed in the interview. When you do this, the manager will surely be impressed that the discussion stayed with you and that you understand what is needed for the job. If you do not send a thank you letter, this sends a flag to the manager that you are not truly interested in the opportunity. The manager will likely drop your resume in the bin and move forward with another more interested candidate.

CREATES AN OPPORTUNITY TO RECONNECT WITH EMPLOYERS

Note that you are not the only candidate being interviewed for an open position. Writing a follow-up thank you letter allows you to build a relationship with the interviewer and develop rapport. By expressing your gratitude for the interview and recapping the highlights of the meeting, you revisit the reasons why you are the best fit for the position.

GIVES YOU ANOTHER CHANCE TO SELL YOUR STRENGTHS

While thank you letter expresses gratitude for the meeting, it also serves a much more strategic purpose. It provides an opportunity for the candidate to present his/her skills and accomplishments in another format and market the value she’ll add to the employer.

DEMONSTRATES PROFESSIONALISM

By sending a written thank you letter, you are showing to your potential future boss that you are a professional. This follow up thank you letter demonstrates that you have excellent follow up skills, which is imperative among professionals. When a hiring manager is considering candidates, one of the things in the back of the manager’s mind has to do with fact that you will be representing the company. Regardless of the position, each employee represents the company whether it’s through sales, customer service, invoicing, or answering phones and emails. A good hiring manager is looking for someone with professional follow up skills. The written thank you could be just what the hiring manager is looking for, to put the written offer into action.

INCREASES THE EMPLOYER’S COMFORT LEVEL IN YOUR CANDIDACY

A good strategy is to recap a part of the conversation where you and the interviewer shared similar views on a job-related topic. The thank you letter can also be a forum for demonstrating your consultative problem-solving skills. By addressing current issues the employer is facing and proposing solutions, you are contributing to the company’s success even before you are on board.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2016/09/28/5-reasons-a-written-thank-you-letter-can-land-the-job/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by veekid(m): 6:35am On Sep 28, 2016
Awesome
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by sukkot: 6:35am On Sep 28, 2016
cool
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by queenmonalisa01: 6:37am On Sep 28, 2016
my dear thank you letter or not if the witch for ur community dey worry you nah only God go fit help you. why not write the thank you letter to God

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by KenModi(m): 6:37am On Sep 28, 2016
The only thing that can get you a job is knowing God.

Thank you letter or not, if God says you wld get that job, you will!

7 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by lonelydora: 6:37am On Sep 28, 2016
Na connection dey land job these days oooo.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by ellovee(m): 6:37am On Sep 28, 2016
That's nice and educating!
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by tocin44(m): 6:41am On Sep 28, 2016
Never really thought of that before. Makes Sense though.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by GodwyneDuke99(m): 6:43am On Sep 28, 2016
And it also shows that you're a loyal person ready to work!
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by Ishilove: 6:48am On Sep 28, 2016
Good points.

However, if the powers of your father's house aka village people are pursuing you, if you like hire Wole Soyinka, Stephen King or HRH Lamido Sanusi to write your thank you letter, you will still not get the job.

If you sucked at the interview, blowing 'ibon' or talking off point, you will not get the job.

If the CEO's son/relative has been pencilled for the job, you're wasting your precious time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by weblord1900: 6:48am On Sep 28, 2016
Cool
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by Ondoboi12345678: 6:49am On Sep 28, 2016
Can anyone help me spell job?
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by sapientia1(m): 6:51am On Sep 28, 2016
Wow
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by Nobody: 6:52am On Sep 28, 2016
Ishilove:

You ma sef dey book space, chai. grin

queenmonalisa01:
my dear thank you letter or not if the witch for ur community dey worry you nah only God go fit help you. why not write the thank you letter to God
KenModi:
The only thing that can get you a job is knowing God.
Thank you letter or not, if God says you wld get that job, you will!

Someone has taken his time to write an educative piece that would be beneficial to all job seekers to aid them in getting jobs on time, you lot had to find a way of squeezing religion into it. Nigerian graduates, I bow for una.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by factorial1(m): 6:53am On Sep 28, 2016
Nice one
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by Ishilove: 6:55am On Sep 28, 2016
LastMumu:

You ma sef dey book space, chai. grin
Me? Book space?? Stop lying on my head angry tongue
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 28, 2016
Ok.
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by thunderrider: 7:00am On Sep 28, 2016
This is really interesting
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 28, 2016
queenmonalisa01:
Nigerians and carrying religion on their head...

5 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by dfrost: 7:06am On Sep 28, 2016
Just do your best part during the interview. A thank you can further enhance your chances from a pool of qualified candidates.
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by babyfaceafrica: 7:08am On Sep 28, 2016
Story for the gods.....what will be will be!!!
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by LordaGuru: 7:18am On Sep 28, 2016
wink
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by Jay542(m): 7:25am On Sep 28, 2016
dfrost:
Just do your best part during the interview. A thank you can further enhance your chances from a pool of qualified candidates.
Exactly the pointsmiley
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by martinsaba: 7:27am On Sep 28, 2016
We Nigerians carry religion into every thing we do, that's the reason we will continue to be backward, yes God will do his own part, why can't we do own part, Lazy gents and ladies is all I see in Nigeria, we no wan die but we wan go heaven.
EXCELLENT write up Bro, many wisdom to you.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by lepasharon(f): 7:27am On Sep 28, 2016
I thought you say thank you when you get the job?
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by Lero15(m): 7:28am On Sep 28, 2016
All I see here is about witches, wizards chai.
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by Lero15(m): 7:29am On Sep 28, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Story for the gods.....what will be will be!!!

What will be may not be. Nothing is certain.
Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by peterjero(m): 7:31am On Sep 28, 2016
When I was resigning from my former job, my manager said I melted his heart when I sent a thank you sms after the job interview I had with him prior to me taking the position. Thank you letter very essential it shows in the course of the duty you won't be a temperamental or proud person to work with.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by SSpeter(m): 7:31am On Sep 28, 2016
Abeg....what is Thank you letter? Thank you for what? Who get time to read am? You guys just sit and formulate non-sense...after an interview HR already selects the successful candidates. Sometimes before you get home you already know your fate. Unless you applied to a one man business and you are begging for a job...bro..after the interview move on if you are good/successful you will called anything other than that is simply appeal to pity....

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by SSpeter(m): 7:34am On Sep 28, 2016
If you apply to IOC's or Multinationals or big fmcg or top consulting firms...what will they do with your...thank you letter?....abeq...leave that thing

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job by femi4: 7:37am On Sep 28, 2016
All this rubbish point doesn't work in this part of the world.

What will get you job in Nigeria are just 2points.

1. Know God

2. Know people that matter

(1) (2) (Reply)

Massive Academic And Non-academic Job Recruitment At Kings University / Exxon Mobil & Shell Test / Nationwide Recruitment At Sustainable Development International, SUSDEVI, Januar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.