Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,114 members, 7,779,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:39 AM

Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? (3038 Views)

A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities / UNILAG SUG Leaders Bag Four Semesters Suspension Each / Which Universities In Nigeria Has The Fastest And Slowest Academic Calendars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? by StarFlux: 12:51am On Sep 29, 2016
Hello.

I'm planning on doing field work in a Yoruba village in about a year or two. I've learned Yoruba in the past to a decent level, but my profiency has detoriated to the bottom level, unfortunately.

I've looked at both at Unilag and Ibadan, but I was unable to find any references to any language courses. I did find something about an 8 week long intensive language course during the summer months (Ibadan), but I'm afraid that's not enough to get to the level I'd want to be at.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers! smiley
Re: Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? by babyfaceafrica: 7:12am On Sep 29, 2016
StarFlux:
Hello.

I'm planning on doing field work in a Yoruba village in about a year or two. I've learned Yoruba in the past to a decent level, but my profiency has detoriated to the bottom level, unfortunately.

I've looked at both at Unilag and Ibadan, but I was unable to find any references to any language courses. I did find something about an 8 week long intensive language course during the summer months (Ibadan), but I'm afraid that's not enough to get to the level I'd want to be at.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers! smiley
if you have the money,get a private Yoruba teacher

1 Like

Re: Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? by StarFlux: 4:58pm On Sep 29, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
if you have the money,get a private Yoruba teacher
Thanks for the reply!

That is one option, but I'll need to attend a university during the field work regardless to get credits. It would be more convenient for that university course to be Yoruba.
Re: Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? by babyfaceafrica: 6:48pm On Sep 29, 2016
StarFlux:
Thanks for the reply!

That is one option, but I'll need to attend a university during the field work regardless to get credits. It would be more convenient for that university course to be Yoruba.
which state is your field work,lemme recommend a school for you?
Re: Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? by StarFlux: 1:46am On Sep 30, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
which state is your field work,lemme recommend a school for you?
Nothing is set in stone yet. The field work is a part of my degree in anthropology. I would like to base my choice of village on the location of the university, so that's my first step. I'm also an international student not residing in Nigeria currently.
Re: Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? by babyfaceafrica: 6:38am On Sep 30, 2016
StarFlux:
Nothing is set in stone yet. The field work is a part of my degree in anthropology. I would like to base my choice of village on the location of the university, so that's my first step. I'm also an international student not residing in Nigeria currently.
there are three schools good in Yoruba studies. 1.University of Ibadan. 2.University of Lagos. 3.Obafemo Awolowo University ,Ile-Ife.

Notable mentions University of Ilorin,Ogun state Univeristy,Lagos State Univerity,Ojo and Adekunle Ajasin University,Akungba Akoko.

Now must your field work be in the village? If yes...the Univeristy of Lagos is a bit far from village,although it has various ghettos and surburbs which the speak Yoruba well.If you really need a village setting the either Univerity of Ibadan or Obafemi Awolowo University is fantastic...there are jus few minutes from the villages.The three schools have top notch Yoruba studies.Living conditions are cheap in Ife and ibadan,but you will be far more comfortable in Lagos.the other schools are also good.Just lemme know. Any other information you need...ask

Note...I am a graduate of linguistics with minor in Yoruba from the Univeristy of lagos and going for PG studies in linguistics at the Univerity of Ibadan early next year
Re: Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? by StarFlux: 2:29am On Oct 01, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
there are three schools good in Yoruba studies. 1.University of Ibadan. 2.University of Lagos. 3.Obafemo Awolowo University ,Ile-Ife.

Notable mentions University of Ilorin,Ogun state Univeristy,Lagos State Univerity,Ojo and Adekunle Ajasin University,Akungba Akoko.

Now must your field work be in the village? If yes...the Univeristy of Lagos is a bit far from village,although it has various ghettos and surburbs which the speak Yoruba well.If you really need a village setting the either Univerity of Ibadan or Obafemi Awolowo University is fantastic...there are jus few minutes from the villages.The three schools have top notch Yoruba studies.Living conditions are cheap in Ife and ibadan,but you will be far more comfortable in Lagos.the other schools are also good.Just lemme know. Any other information you need...ask

Note...I am a graduate of linguistics with minor in Yoruba from the Univeristy of lagos and going for PG studies in linguistics at the Univerity of Ibadan early next year
Thank you for such a great reply! I am extremely interested in languages, so it's pretty invaluable hearing from a linguist.

I found the international student tab on the University of Ibadan website. It would seem unproblematic to apply there. Although it appears to be more feasible for my university to create an exhange programme with them, so that's probably the route I will take. I'd start mid 2017 or later depending on the university's semester Schedule.

Regarding the field work. I have not yet decided whether it has to be an actual village or not, perhaps a combination of urban and village life in which case it wouldn't be necessary with daily contact with the village. What interests me is language usage and domain loss, more specifically the status of English as an official language and its impact on languages (Yoruba in this case), culture and people in general. Eventually I would like to form a theory out of my results (based on current changes) and suggest preventative measures should there be any indication of an increasing domain loss (which I would assume there is).

Do you have any idea what I could expect in Ibadan as an international student? I'm half Nigerian so I'm not too worried about fitting in, more curious about the general study enviroment.
Re: Which Universities In Nigeria Offer Yoruba Language Courses (1 Or 2 Semesters)? by babyfaceafrica: 4:09pm On Oct 01, 2016
StarFlux:
Thank you for such a great reply! I am extremely interested in languages, so it's pretty invaluable hearing from a linguist.

I found the international student tab on the University of Ibadan website. It would seem unproblematic to apply there. Although it appears to be more feasible for my university to create an exhange programme with them, so that's probably the route I will take. I'd start mid 2017 or later depending on the university's semester Schedule.

Regarding the field work. I have not yet decided whether it has to be an actual village or not, perhaps a combination of urban and village life in which case it wouldn't be necessary with daily contact with the village. What interests me is language usage and domain loss, more specifically the status of English as an official language and its impact on languages (Yoruba in this case), culture and people in general. Eventually I would like to form a theory out of my results (based on current changes) and suggest preventative measures should there be any indication of an increasing domain loss (which I would assume there is).

Do you have any idea what I could expect in Ibadan as an international student? I'm half Nigerian so I'm not too worried about fitting in, more curious about the general study enviroment.

Lolz@you are half Nigerian.When last have you been to Nigeria? Study environment in Ibadan is cool,preferably if you stay on-campus.If you process your programme early you can get a personal room on campus since you are a foreign student,there is always a bias .You can also stay in a BQ on campus or arrange a personal house close to school,depends on which you prefer.Market is a stone throw from the campus,although light is fair on campus ,if you want 24 hrs light you will have to stay off-campus and get a backup generator.Do you have any family in Ibadan?.Also less i forget,they have a very good library system,so you won't have any problem generally with a study,they are top notch .Just get ready for a natural African setting.The school also has a Zoo,Your arrear of research is what we can sociolinguistics ...and you are looking for variation in language change and choice,Nice topic.But get ready to work .Ibadan people are very friendly .Lemme know any questions you might want to know again...and please start your processing early so you can start early.The school will begin a new academic programme for a new session by jan/feb ,so get in touch fast.Have a nice day

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Your Urine Colour Says About Your Health / JAMB Form Is Officially Out in CBT Centres/Mobile Platforms. / How To Calculate Your OAU Screening Point

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.