Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,880 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed (763 Views)

Auto Dealer Scammers To AVOID! / KNOW YOUR AUTO DEALER/SELLER ( Contact Details ) / Inspired Men: The Best Auto Dealer On Nairaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed by routsz: 5:57pm On Oct 15, 2009
Honestly advice me pls.

A “very good” autodealer has tied my money down in cotonou. he has paid for a crv for me and is asking for money for clearing. Meanwhile the cost of d car and the cost of clearing was what I gave to him.

If he'd told me the money won’t do, I would have discontinued the transaction anyway.

Now that it has happened this way, i have tactically avoided a confrontation and rather been exploring the best way out of it all.
I am thinking of taking possession of the car there, then selling the car in cotonou there to get back my money, since I can’t afford the cost of clearing it.

Pls how best do I go about selling the car since i don’t know any auto dealer there? thanx.
Re: Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed by Fhemmmy: 6:29pm On Oct 15, 2009
Sorry about that.
here is what might happen.
The car has been bought for A Naira and now is in a shop there and i am sure if you end up reselling, you will lose some of the A naira and the person where it is stored might asked for some refund for storing the ride, so depending on how generous the person is, you will lose some money.
I will advice that you find a way to pay for the clearing, if not too much and then resell the car in Nigeria.
But be careful about the whole deal.
This the second Cotonue gone bad deal i am reading today, sorry dude
Re: Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed by sultaan(m): 7:41pm On Oct 15, 2009
Leg me get this straight; I am assuming you were told a CRV costs around N1.1m in Cotonou, then gave the dealer about N1.45m (400k custom+ 50k commission)

Now price has changed, they want more.

Have you even seen this car?

When we say no car is cheap, we mean no car is cheap.

Now a good option might be to go to a customs office and get info on how to clear a car you are trying to buy, and contact at the border. Get the money(don't give to dealer).
Know what his price will be then Go with him and drive the car back(make sure duty is paid).You were throwing money at this guys and they will keep asking for more.If his price is not what was initially agreed upon, he broke your contract. But since they are definitely scams you can either monitor the last phase of your transcation personally(hope they don't whack you in Cotonou) with the remaining amount on hand, or kiss your money bye.
Anyway, is there a chance its a stolen vehicle?
Re: Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed by Fhemmmy: 7:56pm On Oct 15, 2009
^^^ I am sure that is another possibilities.

I have told people more than many times that, there are only couple of reasons why cars in Cotonue could be cheaper than that in Nigeria.

1. The car is accidental.
2. Stolen rides.
3. Salvage and all that.
4. The car in question is an older model that cant be shipped into nigeria directly and wanna smuggle it inside our clean nation.

BUt people never listen, they often think it is cos i export cars to Nija, and they never listen.
But i feel bad for this dude and i hope all goes well with him sha
Re: Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed by routsz: 11:32am On Oct 16, 2009
sultaan:

Leg me get this straight; I am assuming you were told a CRV costs around N1.1m in Cotonou, then gave the dealer about N1.45m (400k custom+ 50k commission)
you got the facts very right sultaan.
i would however want to avoid going to the customs and all of that processes u specified. i still believe in just sellling it there & then - whatever is offerable. no doubt i would suffer losses. sometimes, experiences in life take such dimensions.
all i need now is any reliable cotonou-based dealer to anchor the sale for a fee.
Re: Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed by ayodeji1(m): 2:27pm On Oct 16, 2009
@poster,
sir guess u were the one who called me on phone some days back.well,i feel sorry for u.thats why i often insist on people following me to cotonou whenever they want to get a car.cos even before u make deposit for whatever u want to buy,u wouldve known its landing cost at ur doorstep,and if u like it,then u can commit urself.maybe if u had gone with the dealer,this wouldnt have been an issue.ive contacted my agent as i promised u on phone.but still no positive thing yet.but il sure let u know if theres anyway i can help u out.i dint save ur number so u can call me so that i can save it incase something good comes up.once again,sorry for that experience.
Re: Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed by routsz: 12:30pm On Oct 20, 2009
sad
Re: Honest Auto Dealer Advice needed by routsz: 12:31pm On Oct 20, 2009
sad

(1) (Reply)

SOLD! SOLD!! Brand New Toyota Landcruiser 2009-N13.9m / 2008 Toyota Camry (registered )up 4 Grabzz----2.3m / Clean Black Tinted Honda Bulldog Is Available For Sale Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.