Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,516 members, 7,801,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election (36914 Views)

See Foreign Observers Watching Biafra Sit At Home / Jega Replies Jonathan On Comments Over Conduct Of 2015 Election / INEC Announces Results Of Edo Governorship Election: Live Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by MadeInTokyo: 11:22am On Oct 01, 2016
International observers, who monitored Wednesday Edo State governorship election have expressed reservations about the conduct of the election, pointing out that they were not denied entry into the centre vote collation centre and that security operatives at the polling units looked the other way while politicians and their agents induced voters with money.

Prof Ahmed Ansari, head of the African Union Observer Team, asked the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to improve on the functionality of the card readers as he noted that the machine did not work in some polling units.

He said along with other international observer groups such as the American Observer team, the British Council and others from the Netherlands and Scotland, the full reports of their impression of the election would be submitted to the INEC and other important election stakeholders.

He said, “The turnout was quite impressive, but there were problems here and there. Another challenge was understaffing. We saw situation whereby only one staff was in a polling unit. That was not good enough.

There were reports of inducement. Every party complained about inducement which to me mean that all of them were guilty. The electorate are not supposed to sell their consciences. To the politicians, it shouldn’t be about money.

He further stated that “as the head of an international observer team, we were not allowed to go to the collation centres at a particular time. That is something we need to complain about. I asked who gave the instruction; who gave the order? It couldn’t be INEC.

“It could be, as they call it, order from above? But the security men told me that ‘sir, this is the order given to us.’ In every situation, one person is allowed to be there. Even when we delegated Victor (his assistant) to go in, he was not allowed to go into the hall.

He said, “He (Victor) was allowed to come within the compound, but was not inside the nucleus, where the whole the exercise took place, adding that “we should be there; we should get the result sheet. We should have a copy but we don’t have copies for now.”

On the rescheduling of collation of results, Prof Ansari said, “it could be for security reasons based on advice, but I didn’t know why they had to stop and leave it for a particular time. Of course, there was no call for it.”

When asked what security operatives could have done upon noticing that money was exchanging hands at the polling units, he said “that depends on the order they gave them.”

Also speaking, Christian Victor from the African Union for Economic, Social and Cultural Council, said many of the things observed in the field on Wednesday were not the kind of things that should happen in an election.

He said, “One of them is that everywhere we visited was filled with money flying around. Some people were fighting some voters for not voting the political parties they were paid for. It was very disappointing that this kind of thing still happens in the Nigeria’s political system.

“I watched the security agencies and it was clear they understood that monies were flying but for reasons best known to them they did not stop it. There were cases of young men, who looked like thugs, driving around during the election.

“They were never stopped by security agencies. That is wrong where there is a restriction of movement. I also saw wealthy people moving around in SUVs during the election.

I have been part of many elections and I have never seen a situation whereby observers and journalists are not allowed into collation centres.”

A local observer, Sadoh Danladi Sunday, stated that it was shocking that the results announced by the INEC did not tally with those his group got from the field.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/foreign-observers-fault-conduct-edo-election/

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 01, 2016
Ok

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 01, 2016
We know the election was rigged in favor of the ruling party. Jonathan's legacy on conducting Free and Fair election has been marred.

349 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by seunmsg(m): 11:36am On Oct 01, 2016
The observations are general about the overall conduct of the election and did not in any anyway question the eventual outcome or the legitimacy of the winner.

They also observed correctly that all the party complained about inducement which mean that all of them were guilty. Going forward, I hope INEC can take a look at the observations and correct the loopholes in subsequent elections.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by TINO26: 11:37am On Oct 01, 2016
OK oo
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by MAXIMAL123(m): 11:38am On Oct 01, 2016
“I watched the security agencies and it was clear they understood that monies were flying but for reasons best known to them they did not stop it. There were cases of young men, who looked like thugs, driving around during the election.
Nigeria and Election Malpractice are grin:

115 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by dimieprincess(f): 11:42am On Oct 01, 2016
seunmsg:
The observations are general about the overall conduct of the election and did not in any anyway question the eventual outcome or the legitimacy of the winner.

They also observed correctly that all the party complained about inducement which mean that all of them were guilty. Going forward, I hope INEC can take a look at the observations and correct the loopholes in subsequent elections.
http://tribuneonlineng.com/foreign-observers-fault-conduct-edo-election/
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by osesology(m): 11:50am On Oct 01, 2016
Well, all l can say is welcome to Nigeria. Trying to separate corruption from the Nigerian system is like trying to separate sand from garri. It is impossicant!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Standing5(m): 11:53am On Oct 01, 2016
blueto:
We know the election was rigged in favor of the ruling party. Jonathan's legacy of conducting Free and Fair election has been marred.
#EkitgGate?

44 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by omofunaab(m): 12:03pm On Oct 01, 2016
Elections can't be 100% perfect, people should know that.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by khadaffi(m): 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2016
seunmsg:

Look my brother, I don't give a rat about PDP or APC. When I first heard that media men and some party's agent were not allowed into the collation centre, I thought it was a lie because the complains came from PDP agents. If its found to be true, the election should be out rightly cancelled. There is nothing for INEC to improve on there, that is not how elections have been conducted in Nigeria.

As for money that was flying around. I was really surprised because I thought there was a law that stated that there should not be any form of campaigning on the day of voting. On that day people were openly canvassing for votes while the security men watched HELPLESSLY

177 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Agimor(m): 12:11pm On Oct 01, 2016
The power of money
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by edoyad(m): 12:13pm On Oct 01, 2016
khadaffi:

Look my brother, I don't give a rat about PDP or APC. When I first heard that media men and some party's agent were not allowed into the collation centre, I thought it was a lie because the complains came from PDP agents. If its found to be true, the election should be out rightly cancelled. There is nothing for INEC to improve on there, that is not how elections have been conducted in Nigeria.

I don't know if the election should be cancelled totally but the fact that observers were barred from entering the collation center speaks volumes

125 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by basilo101: 12:14pm On Oct 01, 2016
When they manipulated Ondo APC primary elections, afonjas start pontificating on morality but when they manipulate Edo election afonjas celebrate, even interpreting it as their victory over igbos. By the time absolute manipulation power has been totally handed over to them and they manipulate Lagos election, the only consolation of the afonjas, i hope they will shut up

87 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by OKDnigeria: 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2016
seunmsg:

The summary of what they said is that the election wasn't free and fair. in what other way could they have questioned its legitimacy?

It's sad. Free and fair election seems to have gone with Jonathan

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by dimieprincess(f): 12:23pm On Oct 01, 2016
Standing5:
#EkitgGate?
Ekiti election result as was reported by all the bloggers and other social media was same. In this apc era now, it's only result from The Nation that is now correct, all the results from the polling units as reported by eye witnesses and social media were all changed

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by seunmsg(m): 12:32pm On Oct 01, 2016
khadaffi:

As for money that was flying around. I was really surprised because I thought there was a law that stated that there should not be any form of campaigning on the day of voting. On that day people were openly canvassing for votes while the security men watched HELPLESSLY

Sorry but you are wrong. Observations made by election observers are not a valid grounds for cancelling election but for improvement in subsequent elections. Only the tribunal or an appelate court can cancel an election result once it is declared by INEC.

You should also understand that no election is perfect anywhere in the world. That is why the law always provides a mechanism through which aggrieved parties can seek redress when they are not satisfied with the outcome of an election.

The last part of your comment is very funny. You talk as if you are not a Nigerian and this is the first time you will be hearing about party agents inducing voters with money and canvassing for votes on election day. It is nothing new and the observers observed correctly that the two parties were guilty.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by mumuto: 12:37pm On Oct 01, 2016
blueto:
We know the election was rigged in favor of the ruling party. Jonathan's legacy of conducting Free and Fair election has been marred.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by VampireeM(f): 12:43pm On Oct 01, 2016
Everyone knows it was rigged in favour of APC even though the pdp and apc candidiates are figure heads. Just like APC and the Dullard will rig themselves back in 2019... Nigeria is just messed up. I'm even wondering what Nigerians are celebrating at 56 undecided

Pls who knows if yaba market will open today cause of independence? Abeg yaba nl residents and environs help me.. thanks

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by CSTR2: 12:48pm On Oct 01, 2016
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by khadaffi(m): 12:49pm On Oct 01, 2016
seunmsg:

Sorry but you are wrong. Observations made by election observers are not a valid grounds for cancelling election but for improvement in subsequent elections. Only the tribunal or an appelate court can cancel an election result once it is declared by INEC.

You should also understand that no election is perfect anywhere in the world. That is why the law always provides a mechanism through which aggrieved parties can seek redress when they are not satisfied with the outcome of an election.

The last part of your comment is very funny. You talk as if you are not a Nigerian and this is the first time you will be hearing about party agents inducing voters with money and canvassing for votes on election day. It is nothing new and the observers observed correctly that the two parties are guilty.

My point is that the PDP can head to court and let's see what happens. I know that election observers can't cancel an already announced result.

And for your last paragraph, I have witnessed many elections in nigeria and anytime any party agent want to induce voters on election day, they usually do it with the mindset that they could be arrested. What they do is to negotiate with you in the voting field and then they move you to a spot that is hidden, away from security operatives and public before giving you cash. This is the first election I've seen where money was openly shared in the public. Right in full public glare. In the presence of INEC officials and SECURITY operatives. Right in the voting arena.

94 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 01, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Abeymills(m): 1:04pm On Oct 01, 2016
Apc is a fraud

27 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Splashme: 1:10pm On Oct 01, 2016
Edo election was heavily rigged

43 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 01, 2016
OKDnigeria:

The summary of what they said is that the election wasn't free and fair. in what other way could they have questioned its legitimacy?

It's sad. Free and fair election seems to have gone with Jonathan

yea

lets enjoy hitler while he lasts

13 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by ramdris(m): 1:19pm On Oct 01, 2016
Let them join PDP at the tribunal to testify...cos as for now, #Godwin.. grin grin...[size=30pt]APC!!![/size]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by kozmokaz(m): 1:29pm On Oct 01, 2016
And some ppl are celebrating 9ja@ 56? Wat exactly are we celebrating ?

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Maduawuchukwu(m): 1:34pm On Oct 01, 2016
Fowl Yansh don dey open. The legacy of free and fair election bequeathed to us by GEJ has been lost. 2019 is going to be solved with bloodshe be dat o.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by NextGovernor(m): 1:45pm On Oct 01, 2016
Edo election was manipulated and rigged.

1. Sharing money openly and even issuing ticket without the fear of security operatives around and using security personnels to destroy and steal ballot box.

2. 1st time result collation was prosponed to give way to perfect rigging.

3. Elections observers and Journalists driven from collation center.

I think the best way to handle APC is the river and bayelsa do or die type of politics. Oshiomole and INEC used the quietness of we Edo people against us....

How can you go home happily that you have won election only to hear a different figure announced by INEC. It's a shame on the part of Buhari, INEC and Oshiomole who was the pioneer of one man one vote.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by kentus07(m): 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2016
''it was shocking that the results announced by the INEC did not tally with those his group got from the field.''

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by mulattoclaro(m): 3:07pm On Oct 01, 2016
The international observers can go to hell for all I care. Any man or woman who lived in Edo state during the time of PDP will understand why it was necessary to kick them out. Why are they still trying to whine like a child denied breast milk. God bless Osho Baba. Yes we agreed there was some element of rigging but come to think of it who introduced rigging and share the money politics to Nigeria? Isn't it PDP? Why are they now crying after we best them to their own game?

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Mujaheeeden: 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2016
basilo101:
When they manipulated Ondo APC primary elections, afonjas start pontificating on morality but when they manipulate Edo election afonjas celebrate, even interpreting it as their victory over igbos. By the time absolute manipulation power has been totally handed over to them and they manipulate Lagos election, the only consolation of the afonjas, i hope they will shut up
i love your assertion but substitute afonja for zombie

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Tinubu Remembers His Mother, Abibatu Mogaji 10 Years After / How I Was Almost Mobbed Today In Ado Ekiti / Why Aso Villa Cabal Wants Osinbajo’s Aides Out – The Guardian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.