Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,893 members, 7,806,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election (36923 Views)

See Foreign Observers Watching Biafra Sit At Home / Jega Replies Jonathan On Comments Over Conduct Of 2015 Election / INEC Announces Results Of Edo Governorship Election: Live Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Mujaheeeden: 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2016
mulattoclaro:
The international observers can go to hell for all I care. Any man or woman who lived in Edo state during the time of PDP will understand why it was necessary to kick them out. Why are they still trying to whine like a child denied breast milk. God bless Osho Baba. Yes we agreed there was some element of rigging but come to think of it who introduced rigging and share the money politics to Nigeria? Isn't it PDP? Why are they now crying after we best them to their own game?
KIDDISH RANT

9 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by bilulu(m): 3:58pm On Oct 01, 2016
mulattoclaro:
The international observers can go to hell for all I care. Any man or woman who lived in Edo state during the time of PDP will understand why it was necessary to kick them out. Why are they still trying to whine like a child denied breast milk. God bless Osho Baba. Yes we agreed there was some element of rigging but come to think of it who introduced rigging and share the money politics to Nigeria? Isn't it PDP? Why are they now crying after we best them to their own game?
Oga u can't kick fraud out with a bigger fraud...... if APC were popular as dey claim why d massive rigging? why d inducement? why not conduct a free n fair election?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Deepfreezer(m): 4:22pm On Oct 01, 2016
The people of Edo state have sold their future. How much will a politician give you to vote him Will that be enough to pay a semester school fees?

7 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 01, 2016
Some don't get it

There is nothing clever about what APC has done

They have simply made nonsense of what's left of our democracy and raped it!

Security agencies were simply asked to prevent anyone not belonging to INEC and APC from they collation and some are celebrating it?

Sorry this democracy will not last very long I am very sure about this!

Nigerians should brace up for a slide towards full blown dictatorship by Buhari, on the other hand the only way Buhari goes is through a Military coup!

The days when election meant anything in Nigeria are over!

14 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jesusloveyou: 4:38pm On Oct 01, 2016
blueto:
We know the election was rigged in favor of the ruling party. Jonathan's legacy on conducting Free and Fair election has been marred.
gej legacy in river state where 286,000 were accredidated but 1.5m voted for wike, and no such thing happen in edo state, but d inducement is wrong and that shouldnt be called rigging

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jesusloveyou: 4:55pm On Oct 01, 2016
bilulu:

Oga u can't kick fraud out with a bigger fraud...... if APC were popular as dey claim why d massive rigging? why d inducement? why not conduct a free n fair election?
u can see ipods or pdp hypocrisy, so when gej induce with dollars it was not massive rigging, and for ur info, pdp share 1k-1.5k and osho decide to double it to 2k-3k becos of d recession cause by pdp and also use d same recession they cause to campaign against apc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by mulattoclaro(m): 4:58pm On Oct 01, 2016
bilulu:

even in a free and fair election Godwin Obaseki will still win.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Kenechi1: 7:34pm On Oct 01, 2016
The edo state election was rigged by the all promise cancelled party

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by 9japride(m): 7:37pm On Oct 01, 2016
Me I know they rigged d election there, but Edo people are not complaining. They are too submissive for my liking. Na them sabi, nothing concern us. Let sleeping dogs lie

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Proffdada: 7:39pm On Oct 01, 2016
basilo101:
When they manipulated Ondo APC primary elections, afonjas start pontificating on morality but when they manipulate Edo election afonjas celebrate, even interpreting it as their victory over igbos. By the time absolute manipulation power has been totally handed over to them and they manipulate Lagos election, the only consolation of the afonjas, i hope they will shut up
That's what the loser of two manipulating sides say. cheesy
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by gabicon: 7:40pm On Oct 01, 2016
Before we jump to conclusions let's hear from other election observers, that way we will be able to pass better judgement.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jidibia(m): 7:42pm On Oct 01, 2016
omofunaab:
Elections can't be 100% perfect, people should know that.
you can't say this in a sane society and go scotch free.

9 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by ChappyChase: 7:43pm On Oct 01, 2016
We all know that the election was not free and fare!

8 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by gurunlocker: 7:43pm On Oct 01, 2016
Lol.... and Ameachi was saying bubu Has delivered his promise about free and fair election

6 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by koboko69: 7:44pm On Oct 01, 2016
dimieprincess:

Ekiti election result as was reported by all the bloggers and other social media was same. In this apc era now, it's only result from The Nation that is now correct, all the results from the polling units as reported by eye witnesses and social media were all changed

Una can lie ror Africa. grin . Wailing Dundees
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by laffwitmi: 7:44pm On Oct 01, 2016
what will u say about ekitit election...
blueto:
We know the election was rigged in favor of the ruling party. Jonathan's legacy on conducting Free and Fair election has been marred.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 01, 2016
blueto:

Which Jonathan? the one in the bible or the clueless one? ..............uhn answer me you mumu entity. WHAT HAPPENED IN EKITI STATE WITH SGR KOLI, CRIMINAL OBANIKORO, etc...........ANSWER ME U MUMU ENTITY grin grin grin
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 01, 2016
campaign after election.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jidibia(m): 7:44pm On Oct 01, 2016
khadaffi:

Look my brother, I don't give a rat about PDP or APC. When I first heard that media men and some party's agent were not allowed into the collation centre, I thought it was a lie because the complains came from PDP agents. If its found to be true, the election should be out rightly cancelled. There is nothing for INEC to improve on there, that is not how elections have been conducted in Nigeria.

As for money that was flying around. I was really surprised because I thought there was a law that stated that there should not be any form of campaigning on the day of voting. On that day people were openly canvassing for votes while the security men watched HELPLESSLY
Hmmm even the security agents were compromised. They have already collected their own shares of the monies. May God save this country.

6 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by MrHenshaw: 7:45pm On Oct 01, 2016
MadeInTokyo:
International observers, who monitored Wednesday Edo State governorship election have expressed reservations about the conduct of the election, pointing out that they were not denied entry into the centre vote collation centre and that security operatives at the polling units looked the other way while politicians and their agents induced voters with money.

Prof Ahmed Ansari, head of the African Union Observer Team, asked the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to improve on the functionality of the card readers as he noted that the machine did not work in some polling units.

He said along with other international observer groups such as the American Observer team, the British Council and others from the Netherlands and Scotland, the full reports of their impression of the election would be submitted to the INEC and other important election stakeholders.

He said, “The turnout was quite impressive, but there were problems here and there. Another challenge was understaffing. We saw situation whereby only one staff was in a polling unit. That was not good enough.

There were reports of inducement. Every party complained about inducement which to me mean that all of them were guilty. The electorate are not supposed to sell their consciences. To the politicians, it shouldn’t be about money.

He further stated that “as the head of an international observer team, we were not allowed to go to the collation centres at a particular time. That is something we need to complain about. I asked who gave the instruction; who gave the order? It couldn’t be INEC.

“It could be, as they call it, order from above? But the security men told me that ‘sir, this is the order given to us.’ In every situation, one person is allowed to be there. Even when we delegated Victor (his assistant) to go in, he was not allowed to go into the hall.

He said, “He (Victor) was allowed to come within the compound, but was not inside the nucleus, where the whole the exercise took place, adding that “we should be there; we should get the result sheet. We should have a copy but we don’t have copies for now.”

On the rescheduling of collation of results, Prof Ansari said, “it could be for security reasons based on advice, but I didn’t know why they had to stop and leave it for a particular time. Of course, there was no call for it.”

When asked what security operatives could have done upon noticing that money was exchanging hands at the polling units, he said “that depends on the order they gave them.”

Also speaking, Christian Victor from the African Union for Economic, Social and Cultural Council, said many of the things observed in the field on Wednesday were not the kind of things that should happen in an election.

He said, “One of them is that everywhere we visited was filled with money flying around. Some people were fighting some voters for not voting the political parties they were paid for. It was very disappointing that this kind of thing still happens in the Nigeria’s political system.

“I watched the security agencies and it was clear they understood that monies were flying but for reasons best known to them they did not stop it. There were cases of young men, who looked like thugs, driving around during the election.

“They were never stopped by security agencies. That is wrong where there is a restriction of movement. I also saw wealthy people moving around in SUVs during the election.

I have been part of many elections and I have never seen a situation whereby observers and journalists are not allowed into collation centres.”

A local observer, Sadoh Danladi Sunday, stated that it was shocking that the results announced by the INEC did not tally with those his group got from the field.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/foreign-observers-fault-conduct-edo-election/

Na 2day? Foreign Observers displeased with Nigeria Elections since 1700BC.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by koboko69: 7:46pm On Oct 01, 2016
blueto:

Wailing Dundee, Ekiti and Rivers elections were the most free and fair election ever in Nigeria cheesy

U are trying so hard to justif ur peanuts wink

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by HomeOfMe(f): 7:47pm On Oct 01, 2016
MadeInTokyo:
International observers, who monitored Wednesday Edo State governorship election have expressed reservations about the conduct of the election, pointing out that they were not denied entry into the centre vote collation centre and that security operatives at the polling units looked the other way while politicians and their agents induced voters with money.

Prof Ahmed Ansari, head of the African Union Observer Team, asked the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to improve on the functionality of the card readers as he noted that the machine did not work in some polling units.

He said along with other international observer groups such as the American Observer team, the British Council and others from the Netherlands and Scotland, the full reports of their impression of the election would be submitted to the INEC and other important election stakeholders.

He said, “The turnout was quite impressive, but there were problems here and there. Another challenge was understaffing. We saw situation whereby only one staff was in a polling unit. That was not good enough.

There were reports of inducement. Every party complained about inducement which to me mean that all of them were guilty. The electorate are not supposed to sell their consciences. To the politicians, it shouldn’t be about money.

He further stated that “as the head of an international observer team, we were not allowed to go to the collation centres at a particular time. That is something we need to complain about. I asked who gave the instruction; who gave the order? It couldn’t be INEC.

“It could be, as they call it, order from above? But the security men told me that ‘sir, this is the order given to us.’ In every situation, one person is allowed to be there. Even when we delegated Victor (his assistant) to go in, he was not allowed to go into the hall.

He said, “He (Victor) was allowed to come within the compound, but was not inside the nucleus, where the whole the exercise took place, adding that “we should be there; we should get the result sheet. We should have a copy but we don’t have copies for now.”

On the rescheduling of collation of results, Prof Ansari said, “it could be for security reasons based on advice, but I didn’t know why they had to stop and leave it for a particular time. Of course, there was no call for it.”

When asked what security operatives could have done upon noticing that money was exchanging hands at the polling units, he said “that depends on the order they gave them.”

Also speaking, Christian Victor from the African Union for Economic, Social and Cultural Council, said many of the things observed in the field on Wednesday were not the kind of things that should happen in an election.

He said, “One of them is that everywhere we visited was filled with money flying around. Some people were fighting some voters for not voting the political parties they were paid for. It was very disappointing that this kind of thing still happens in the Nigeria’s political system.

“I watched the security agencies and it was clear they understood that monies were flying but for reasons best known to them they did not stop it. There were cases of young men, who looked like thugs, driving around during the election.

“They were never stopped by security agencies. That is wrong where there is a restriction of movement. I also saw wealthy people moving around in SUVs during the election.

I have been part of many elections and I have never seen a situation whereby observers and journalists are not allowed into collation centres.”

A local observer, Sadoh Danladi Sunday, stated that it was shocking that the results announced by the INEC did not tally with those his group got from the field.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/foreign-observers-fault-conduct-edo-election/
The voters who sold their conscience for 2k each,haven't they finished spending the money? We only care about what we can get now not considering the future. Nigerians deserve the kind of leaders they have.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jidibia(m): 7:48pm On Oct 01, 2016
seunmsg:

Sorry but you are wrong. Observations made by election observers are not a valid grounds for cancelling election but for improvement in subsequent elections. Only the tribunal or an appelate court can cancel an election result once it is declared by INEC.

You should also understand that no election is perfect anywhere in the world. That is why the law always provides a mechanism through which aggrieved parties can seek redress when they are not satisfied with the outcome of an election.

The last part of your comment is very funny. You talk as if you are not a Nigerian and this is the first time you will be hearing about party agents inducing voters with money and canvassing for votes on election day. It is nothing new and the observers observed correctly that the two parties were guilty.
Like seriously, I feel like slapping you. Just listen to the rubbish you typed there. These can't happen in USA and the UK.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jidibia(m): 7:54pm On Oct 01, 2016
khadaffi:

My point is that the PDP can head to court and let's see what happens. I know that election observers can't cancel an already announced result.

And for your last paragraph, I have witnessed many elections in nigeria and anytime any party agent want to induce voters on election day, they usually do it with the mindset that they could be arrested. What they do is to negotiate with you in the voting field and then they move you to a spot that is hidden, away from security operatives and public before giving you cash. This is the first election I've seen where money was openly shared in the public. Right in full public glare. In the presence of INEC officials and SECURITY operatives. Right in the voting arena.
Thank you for your intelligent points. Don't even know what to say that guy. Would have taken it personal and insulted the hell out of him, but I just remembered most of the mods on this forum are APC, and I don't wanna be ban now.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Temptee101(m): 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2016
mulattoclaro:
Chai!! Nigeria is dead and buried if you and ur likes are still allowed to roam about. No wonder we are still this backward.

How on this earth did i ever get to share the same country with u lots

I forever curse lord lugard

6 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by 4wrd9ja: 7:58pm On Oct 01, 2016
khadaffi:

My point is that the PDP can head to court and let's see what happens. I know that election observers can't cancel an already announced result.

And for your last paragraph, I have witnessed many elections in nigeria and anytime any party agent want to induce voters on election day, they usually do it with the mindset that they could be arrested. What they do is to negotiate with you in the voting field and then they move you to a spot that is hidden, away from security operatives and public before giving you cash. This is the first election I've seen where money was openly shared in the public. Right in full public glare. In the presence of INEC officials and SECURITY operatives. Right in the voting arena.

And this is the change era, headed by a supposed mr integrity.giving power to this set of people was the worst mistake of Nigerians, they are too desperate, I am speaking to the unbiased , watch out how they will bastardise everything about elections in Nigeria, they won't even spare the judiciary

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by bibelo: 7:59pm On Oct 01, 2016
Abegi!!! Which yeye foreign observers? And those people with shallow memories saying gej free and fair election legacy has been messed up or Apc did something seem to forget what happened during the elections in rivers state and what the outcome was at the tribunal.
When wike was declared the winner in the shame that took place in river state which is credited as the most violent elections in which voting did not take place you wailers with short memories have forgotten abi. Now that pdp is being paid with its own coin Una dey scream blue murder.
Abeg make we hear word pdp don loose no excuse short and simple.... Hypocrisy
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by CandyDiamond(f): 7:59pm On Oct 01, 2016
It is very unfortunate that some Nigerian youth are still using some irregularities that happened during PDP time to justify the massive rigging of Edo election by APC to the extent that international monitoring group are not allowed in the collation centre and result sheets are not giving to them,[/b]there is no hope for Nigeria[b]

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by saintandsinnerz: 7:59pm On Oct 01, 2016
omofunaab:
Elections can't be 100% perfect, people should know that.
I hope you said this during the Ekiti and Rivers elections?
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by godson4u79(m): 8:00pm On Oct 01, 2016
Maduawuchukwu:
Fowl Yansh don dey open. The legacy of free and fair election bequeathed to us by GEJ has been lost. 2019 is going to be solved with bloodshe be dat o.

2019 is settled already

It will be 95% vs 5%

It would be a landslide victory for APC

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chuba Ezekwesili Graduates From Yale University (Photos) / Timipre Sylva And Governor Wike Laughing, Shaking Each Other (Caption Photo) / President Tinubu Remembers His Mother, Abibatu Mogaji 10 Years After

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.