Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,055 members, 7,807,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election (36924 Views)

See Foreign Observers Watching Biafra Sit At Home / Jega Replies Jonathan On Comments Over Conduct Of 2015 Election / INEC Announces Results Of Edo Governorship Election: Live Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 01, 2016
khadaffi:

Look my brother, I don't give a rat about PDP or APC. When I first heard that media men and some party's agent were not allowed into the collation centre, I thought it was a lie because the complains came from PDP agents. If its found to be true, the election should be out rightly cancelled. There is nothing for INEC to improve on there, that is not how elections have been conducted in Nigeria.

As for money that was flying around. I was really surprised because I thought there was a law that stated that there should not be any form of campaigning on the day of voting. On that day people were openly canvassing for votes while the security men watched HELPLESSLY
this is not the first time money is flying round, even under Jonathan it went tru space jet. The truth is Nigerians are yet to learn the lessons of desperate politicians. Nothing good comes from them. But going forward, Buhari needs to up his game as regards free and fair elections. This is not the Nigeria we voted for.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 01, 2016
basilo101:
When they manipulated Ondo APC primary elections, afonjas start pontificating on morality but when they manipulate Edo election afonjas celebrate, even interpreting it as their victory over igbos. By the time absolute manipulation power has been totally handed over to them and they manipulate Lagos election, the only consolation of the afonjas, i hope they will shut up
stop crying over nothing, after all the best rigger won. PDP is not a newbie to rigging elections in Nigeria. They had the opportunity of correcting this anomaly for 16yrs but did nothing. The last election under wasn't free and fair in anyway, the fact remains that his rigging plans was outpowered by the combination of West and North.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by zurine(f): 8:50pm On Oct 01, 2016
this is just not good for democracy

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Ubenedictus(m): 8:59pm On Oct 01, 2016
Chigold101:
you are right bro...
But not allowing observers into colation centre is the one i dont understand.

Abi u understand am?
That isnt wrong, about 11pm inec hadnt recieved all the results from all local government, so they held a closed door meeting with all d stakeholder and postponed d anouncement of d result. that night every non-inec personel was evacuated from d build, including apc and pdp agent, press and observers. the next morning when d results had all arrived apc and pdp agents were called back into d hall, d big press houses and election observers also came in.

there is nothing fishy about that.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by abimic(m): 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2016
My first election was when I was a serving corps member in anambra last year and I can authoritatively say, GEJ's election Era differs not from PMB as PDP the father of rigging doesn't expect change all of a sudden. In anambra despite PDP would coast to victory in the state for presidential, the result I announced and pasted at my PU totally was different from the one announced at the collation centre. It was a massive lock down at the LG in ihiala between political interests. So, inducement is the order of the day in any election here, surprised the international observers didn't know this all these years. My only grouse with this was barring observers from gaining access to collation centre, well even in ihiala as a PO, I was barred too as even my results weren't important though we were always told to protect the result sheet like one's life depended on it.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Ubenedictus(m): 9:04pm On Oct 01, 2016
franciskaine:
were PDP agents not also allowed entrance?
about 11pm inec hadnt recieved all the results from all local government, so they held a closed door meeting with all d stakeholders and postponed d
anouncement of d result. that night every non- inec personel was evacuated from d building, including apc and pdp agent, press and observers. the next morning when d results had all arrived apc and pdp agents were called back into d hall, d big press houses and election observers also came in.
there is nothing fishy about that and it is much saner than rivers election where wike was in inec office while dikeson was been teargassed.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Ubenedictus(m): 9:05pm On Oct 01, 2016
Jidibia:

If you have got a lot of energy to burn, please I ain't got non to burn okay. I never told you elections have been free and fair in Nigeria before. But sharing money openly while our security agents watched speaks volumes. And it pisses me off when people come here to say no part of the world where elections are free and fair. They should just say its only African continent and not the entire world. So even with the introduction of card readers we can't still conduct 90% free and fair elections in this 21st century?
money has been shared in elections in nigeria even with polic present. that isnt new.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Ubenedictus(m): 9:08pm On Oct 01, 2016
krendo:
Some don't get it

There is nothing clever about what APC has done

They have simply made nonsense of what's left of our democracy and raped it!

Security agencies were simply asked to prevent anyone not belonging to INEC and APC from they collation and some are celebrating it?

Sorry this democracy will not last very long I am very sure about this!

Nigerians should brace up for a slide towards full blown dictatorship by Buhari, on the other hand the only way Buhari goes is through a Military coup!

The days when election meant anything in Nigeria are over!
When pdp was prevented so also was apc, stop lying dear, it is only suprising it is pdp complaining, all agents, press and observers when evacuted frm d inec building after 11pm of d election day.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by july66: 9:09pm On Oct 01, 2016
MadeInTokyo:
International observers, who monitored Wednesday Edo State governorship election have expressed reservations about the conduct of the election, pointing out that they were not denied entry into the centre vote collation centre and that security operatives at the polling units looked the other way while politicians and their agents induced voters with money.

Prof Ahmed Ansari, head of the African Union Observer Team, asked the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to improve on the functionality of the card readers as he noted that the machine did not work in some polling units.

He said along with other international observer groups such as the American Observer team, the British Council and others from the Netherlands and Scotland, the full reports of their impression of the election would be submitted to the INEC and other important election stakeholders.

He said, “The turnout was quite impressive, but there were problems here and there. Another challenge was understaffing. We saw situation whereby only one staff was in a polling unit. That was not good enough.

There were reports of inducement. Every party complained about inducement which to me mean that all of them were guilty. The electorate are not supposed to sell their consciences. To the politicians, it shouldn’t be about money.

He further stated that “as the head of an international observer team, we were not allowed to go to the collation centres at a particular time. That is something we need to complain about. I asked who gave the instruction; who gave the order? It couldn’t be INEC.

“It could be, as they call it, order from above? But the security men told me that ‘sir, this is the order given to us.’ In every situation, one person is allowed to be there. Even when we delegated Victor (his assistant) to go in, he was not allowed to go into the hall.

He said, “He (Victor) was allowed to come within the compound, but was not inside the nucleus, where the whole the exercise took place, adding that “we should be there; we should get the result sheet. We should have a copy but we don’t have copies for now.”

On the rescheduling of collation of results, Prof Ansari said, “it could be for security reasons based on advice, but I didn’t know why they had to stop and leave it for a particular time. Of course, there was no call for it.”

When asked what security operatives could have done upon noticing that money was exchanging hands at the polling units, he said “that depends on the order they gave them.”

Also speaking, Christian Victor from the African Union for Economic, Social and Cultural Council, said many of the things observed in the field on Wednesday were not the kind of things that should happen in an election.

He said, “One of them is that everywhere we visited was filled with money flying around. Some people were fighting some voters for not voting the political parties they were paid for. It was very disappointing that this kind of thing still happens in the Nigeria’s political system.

“I watched the security agencies and it was clear they understood that monies were flying but for reasons best known to them they did not stop it. There were cases of young men, who looked like thugs, driving around during the election.

“They were never stopped by security agencies. That is wrong where there is a restriction of movement. I also saw wealthy people moving around in SUVs during the election.

I have been part of many elections and I have never seen a situation whereby observers and journalists are not allowed into collation centres.”

A local observer, Sadoh Danladi Sunday, stated that it was shocking that the results announced by the INEC did not tally with those his group got from the field.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/foreign-observers-fault-conduct-edo-election/
Everyone including those living outside the state know this election was manipulated. Where is the doctrine of one man, one vote? Observers were barred from the collation centres & those who have results from the field say what they have is different from whay was announced. Yet some partisan folks still argue in support of the result as announced. I thought we wanted change to do things better? Jonathan lost because he allowed free & fair elections. What has happened in Edo election sends bad signals ahead of 2019. The people should be allowed to decide on who governs them. The sad thing is that Oshiomhole & Buhari are beneficiaries of free & fair elections because they came to power as opposition elements. The same institution is being destroyed for selfish interests. I just hope the courts will redress this ills.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by khadaffi(m): 9:11pm On Oct 01, 2016
franciskaine:
were PDP agents not also allowed entrance?

PDP claimed they were not allowed entrance within some certain period (hours). If you want to know more on that, look for the official response they published regarding the election result.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by GoodSide: 9:11pm On Oct 01, 2016
abegi
edo state na hardship n backwardness for life.
hahahahahahahaha
apc thieves
the new 666 in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by LorDBolton(m): 9:11pm On Oct 01, 2016
Jidibia:

Like seriously, I feel like slapping you. Just listen to the rubbish you typed there. These can't happen in USA and the UK.

Your problem is you're so arrogant that it will take a lot to accurately measure your ignorance.

USA? UK? You think they don't sell their vote?

Next thing u will tell us AMERICAN police don't carry out extrajudicial killings or collect "egunje" from criminals.

Actually it's you who should be slapped for believing observations from foreigners can be used as grounds for cancellation of polls.

You and other amnesia plagued pdp supporters conveniently forget that various international observers called for the outright cancellation of 2015 rivers election... what happened?

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by noahdgreat(m): 9:13pm On Oct 01, 2016
seunmsg:
The observations are general about the overall conduct of the election and did not in any anyway question the eventual outcome or the legitimacy of the winner.

They also observed correctly that all the party complained about inducement which mean that all of them were guilty. Going forward, I hope INEC can take a look at the observations and correct the loopholes in subsequent elections.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Ubenedictus(m): 9:13pm On Oct 01, 2016
9japride:
Me I know they rigged d election there, but Edo people are not complaining. They are too submissive for my liking. Na them sabi, nothing concern us. Let sleeping dogs lie
Edos arent submissive, when annenih rigged oshomole election, edo was on fire, this election wasnt rigged edo can be broadly divided into benin, esan, etsako, akoko edo..., esan is pdp, etsako and akoko edo is apc, benin is majority apc, every edo man knew who won the election. pdp is just cry wolf.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Realhommie(m): 9:15pm On Oct 01, 2016
Jidibia:

. But sharing money openly while our security agents watched speaks volumes.
This was my gross with you and that guy.

That's y i said 'Perhaps you haven't got real experiences'.. It has always been a norm in our political clime, just like the letter 'k' in an equation which is always constant so you guys shouldn't be acting like it started just now. My state is predominantly pdp, not coz it's the will of the people, hell no, but coz every election held since 1999 they have induced the electorates and rigged massively. I have witness it firsthand, they even coerce you to vote their choice with the help of security forces and afterwards they'll still go and pad it with more votes so it didn't just start now.

If i have energy to burn? Lol

As for not being able to conduct an election that is 90% free and fair even with the introduction of card readers? Truth is we still have a long way to go.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Blessedward: 9:21pm On Oct 01, 2016
NextGovernor:
Edo election was manipulated and rigged.

1. Sharing money openly and even issuing ticket without the fear of security operatives around and using security personnels to destroy and steal ballot box.

2. 1st time result collation was prosponed to give way to perfect rigging.

3. Elections observers and Journalists driven from collation center.

I think the best way to handle APC is the river and bayelsa do or die type of politics. Oshiomole and INEC used the quietness of we Edo people against us....

How can you go home happily that you have won election only to hear a different figure announced by INEC. It's a shame on the part of Buhari, INEC and Oshiomole who was the pioneer of one man one vote.
how many days did it take to announce anambra election result even as inconclusive in 2013 rigged against Chris Ngige who clearly won d election by Jonathan's government??
LAW OF KARMA!!
I have never been a fan of indecency but as far as PDP is concerned APC can rig as many elections as they like after all they were even lenient to award PDP up to 200 000 votes.
if PDP was in Oshobaba's shoes I trust them not to allocate up to 100 000 votes to APC...go ask Wine.
so POI should cry me a river.he should have contested as an independent candidate if he really wanted to make an impact and prove a point but under PDP..bros its a NO NO.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Freelancer2015(m): 9:21pm On Oct 01, 2016
It was rigged and I believe the presidency had something to do with it. Postponement of the election, postponement of the announcement of the winner, observers and jornalist restricted...these are all signs. Come to Edo state and ask the majority who they voted for. Many collected APC money and still voted for PDP. PDP may have a bad history, but with what is going on in this country now, I will gladly prefer PDP to APC.

"A local observer, Sadoh Danladi Sunday, stated that it was
shocking that the results announced by the INEC did not tally
with those his group got from the field."

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by nzeobi(m): 9:22pm On Oct 01, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
gej legacy in river state where 286,000 were accredidated but 1.5m voted for wike, and no such thing happen in edo state, but d inducement is wrong and that shouldnt be called rigging
Oga 286,000 thousand were accredited with card reader and in areas it failed manual accreditation was done.
Am not saying the election in was not rigged or was rigged am only telling you that the card reader failed woefully in SE/SS.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Ajeyo(m): 9:23pm On Oct 01, 2016
What did the foreign observers know?,so they expect the Apc to give up their victory?even Pdp will never do such,Nigerian politics is that of the strongest carrying the day.just like Apc smelling victory in Bayelsa or Rivers may never happen,Edo is in firm grip of the Apc,make everybody hol dia side.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by mulattoclaro(m): 9:24pm On Oct 01, 2016
martineinstein:
abeg,take am easy o..make dem no ban u for 1 year
thanks bros. That guy was getting on my nerve. People that don't live or reside in Edo think they know what's going on there.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Blessedward: 9:26pm On Oct 01, 2016
we shouldn't forget so fast that Obiano was installed nevertheless he is now d BEST gov in d country.
so let's be patient with OBASEKI
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Blessedward: 9:29pm On Oct 01, 2016
oya no problem d election was rigged.
make d foreign observers go cancel d election make I know where dem dey wen wike get over 1000 000 000 votes.
CRAZY OBSERVERS!!!
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by omofunaab(m): 9:31pm On Oct 01, 2016
Jidibia:

you can't say this in a sane society and go scotch free.

There are meant to be hitches in an election.. It's a general thing... Maybe you don't understand the meaning of 100% perfect
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by nortcentrallord(m): 9:32pm On Oct 01, 2016
Standing5:
#EkitgGate?

Lol, so where is the "change"?

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jidibia(m): 9:33pm On Oct 01, 2016
LorDBolton:

Your problem is you're so arrogant that it will take a lot to accurately measure your ignorance.

USA? UK? You think they don't sell their vote?

Next thing u will tell us AMERICAN police don't carry out extrajudicial killings or collect "egunje" from criminals.

Actually it's you who should be slapped for believing observations from foreigners can be used as grounds for cancellation of polls.

You and other amnesia plagued pdp supporters conveniently forget that various international observers called for the outright cancellation of 2015 rivers election... what happened?
If US democracy were like that of Nigeria, Obama would never have won. So tell me where you have seen or heard that politicians shared dollars to voters openly to buy votes on election days in America? Your ignorance has no antidote so continue okay.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by udatso: 9:36pm On Oct 01, 2016
Deepfreezer:
The people of Edo state have sold their future. How much will a politician give you to vote him Will that be enough to pay a semester school fees?
And igbenedion was going to give you the semester school fees
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by nortcentrallord(m): 9:37pm On Oct 01, 2016
franciskaine:
this is not the first time money is flying round, even under Jonathan it went tru space jet. The truth is Nigerians are yet to learn the lessons of desperate politicians. Nothing good comes from them. But going forward, Buhari needs to up his game as regards free and fair elections. This is not the Nigeria we voted for.

If what happened under Jonathan still happens now then where is the "Change"?

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Ajeyo(m): 9:38pm On Oct 01, 2016
What did the observers know?mtcch,Edo is in Apc firm grip just like the pdp rules in Bayelsa and Rivers,make everybody hol dia side,even if pdp go world coirt for Hague ehn,dem don loose!Wait for ya turn.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jidibia(m): 9:39pm On Oct 01, 2016
omofunaab:

There are meant to be hitches in an election.. It's a general thing... Maybe you don't understand the meaning of 100% perfect
lol @ Mr sabinus. Hitches at elections should not be massive riggings okay. These ones are more than hitches, people collectively and openly rigged elections with the help of our corrupt and compromised security agents, you are here telling me hitches are meant to happen at elections? Hell noooo
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jidibia(m): 9:40pm On Oct 01, 2016
omofunaab:

lol @ Mr sabinus. Hitches at elections should not be massive riggings okay. These ones are more than hitches, people collectively and openly rigged elections with the help of our corrupt and compromised security agents, you are here telling me hitches are meant to happen at elections? Hell nooo
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by whyx06(m): 9:45pm On Oct 01, 2016
Dis is what #Change begins with them b4 it #Begins with me
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by whyx06(m): 9:48pm On Oct 01, 2016
U're saying dis because u don't no dat masses we suffer for dis, when there mandate is being changed.... Are u saying #Change should not begins from APC?

Ajeyo:
What did the observers know?mtcch,Edo is in Apc firm grip just like the pdp rules in Bayelsa and Rivers,make everybody hol dia side,even if pdp go world coirt for Hague ehn,dem don loose!Wait for ya turn.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Aso Villa Cabal Wants Osinbajo’s Aides Out – The Guardian / President Tinubu Remembers His Mother, Abibatu Mogaji 10 Years After / Uche Ogah Inspects His Master Energy City Project In Abia State(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.