Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,278 members, 7,780,634 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:12 PM

HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! (60857 Views)

HIV Vaccine Breakthrough As Experts Generate Immune Cells To Stop Spread / FG Orders Investigation Of Claims To HIV Cure / Health Minister Denies Knowledge Of HIV Cure By Professor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by auch22: 7:26pm On Oct 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
UK scientists and clinicians working on a groundbreaking trial to test a possible cure for HIV infection say they have made remarkable progress after a test patient showed no sign of the virus following treatment.

The research, being carried out by five of Britain’s top universities with NHS support, is combining standard antiretroviral drugs with a drug that reactivates dormant HIV and a vaccine that induces the immune system to destroy the infected cells.

Antiretoviral drugs alone are highly effective at stopping the virus from reproducing but do not eradicate the disease, so must be taken for life.

Fifty patients are taking part in the trial and early tests on the first person to complete the treatment show no signs of the virus in his blood, the Sunday Times reported.

There is still a long way to go before the treatment can be deemed a success as the virus has previously re-emerged in people thought to have been “cured” and the use of antiretroviral drugs means the researchers cannot be sure the HIV has gone. Nevertheless there is optimism over the findings.

Mark Samuels, the managing director of the National Institute for Health Research Office for Clinical Research Infra­structure, told the Sunday Times: “This is one of the first serious attempts at a full cure for HIV. We are exploring the real possibility of curing HIV. This is a huge challenge and it’s still early days but the progress has been remarkable.”

HIV is able to hide itself from the immune system in dormant cells where highly sophisticated modern testing cannot find it and therefore resist therapy. The treatment endeavours to trick the virus into emerging from its hiding places and then trigger the body’s immune system to recognise it and attack it, an approach that has been called “kick and kill”.

There are approximately 37 million people living with HIV worldwide and about 35 million people have died from the virus.

The difficulty of declaring a patient clear of HIV was illustrated by the case of a girl in Mississippi, who was put on a strong course of antiretroviral drugs within 30 hours of her birth in 2010 after her mother was found to be HIV positive.

Treatment continued until the hospital lost contact with the mother 18 months later. When mother and child reappeared five months later the baby had no detectable virus in her blood, raising hopes that early intervention had cured her, but two years the virus had re-emerged.

The only person believed to have been cured was Timothy Ray Brown, an American treated in Germany. He needed a bone marrow transplant to replace his own cancerous cells with stem cells that would remake his immune system and his doctor found him a donor who was naturally resistant to HIV infection due to a genetic mutation that blocks HIV from entering the cells in the human body.

However, stem cell transplants are difficult and potentially dangerous for the recipient and only undertaken where they can save a life.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/02/scientists-testing-cure-for-hiv-report-progress?CMP=twt_gu

i hope it would b here because i guess that the northner dullard will need it
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by duas4real: 7:26pm On Oct 02, 2016
apasino01:
Ooh lord let it be true we tired of rubbers
Like......
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by youngvizzy1(m): 7:26pm On Oct 02, 2016
This news will make some people to start misbehaving now without protection cheesy
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 02, 2016
jaymejate:
Up next... EBOLA!
Nigerians already have the cure.... salt water... remember grin
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Afrok(m): 7:27pm On Oct 02, 2016
Recession kills faster than HIV cry

1 Like

Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 02, 2016
So good
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 02, 2016
somez:
Hiv no longer is a threat. Can somebody tell the guy above me to change his diapers?
you should be sold
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by NevetsIbot(m): 7:28pm On Oct 02, 2016
welldone

1 Like

Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by LorDBolton(m): 7:29pm On Oct 02, 2016
Mtcheeew soldier go, soldier come

No be oyibo?

Another STD go fall out
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Maxwell011(m): 7:31pm On Oct 02, 2016
Am sure some will be happy with the latest development. But this has not given you a license.
Great job ther from the scientists.
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by SlaughterGang: 7:31pm On Oct 02, 2016
martineinstein:
must u comment?
Stop displaying ur joblessness in a reckless manner

It won't be a bad idea if HIV weeds idiots like you...Jobless on a Sunday?....Haven't I seen it all

Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by onlineadejoh(m): 7:32pm On Oct 02, 2016
Good news
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by martineinstein(m): 7:34pm On Oct 02, 2016
SlaughterGang:

It won't be a bad idea if HIV weeds idiots like you...Jobless on a Sunday?....Haven't I seen it all
from ur look,who needs weed the most??

Stop displaying ur silly attitude and stop trolling nairaland comments
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by pepigeorge(m): 7:35pm On Oct 02, 2016
Berrylite:
Thumbs up for UK scientists

Say bye to diabetes by checking my signature below

abeg na skin to skin na.... I don't tire 4 condoms. .
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by biafrasun: 7:36pm On Oct 02, 2016
days of no more condoms are here.
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by ochuciano(m): 7:37pm On Oct 02, 2016
ZubbyGodson:
I Love Science.....................The World Will Soon Be A Better Place #Proudly A Scientist

Not after they find a cure to cancer, ebola and many unknown disease that will rear their head in d future
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by SlaughterGang: 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2016
martineinstein:
from ur look,who needs weed the most??

Stop displaying ur silly attitude and stop trolling nairaland comments

I thought as much...Small HS kid out looking for mischief...Weed in the sense of get rid...It's only online hood rats exchange words with their superiors but hey...everyone's equal on the net...even Intellectually challenged individuals like you.

2 Likes

Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2016
I Love the WHITES ...

I think it is high time we started paying some TITHES to them.....may be 1% of our income
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by bukkielee(m): 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2016
[size=30pt]Bayo, I will sleep over tonight[/size]

1 Like

Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by ochuciano(m): 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2016
ZubbyGodson:
I Love Science.....................The World Will Soon Be A Better Place #Proudly A Scientist

Not after they find a cure to cancer, ebola and many unknown disease that will rear their head in d future
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by MrTour: 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2016
Is this a license to Fuckkk on ?
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 02, 2016
Is it a permission? Can we go on with s*x without condom? Dollar rise is affecting the condom. I shall be happy to do without it!
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by martineinstein(m): 7:40pm On Oct 02, 2016
SlaughterGang:

I thought as much...Small HS kid out looking for mischief...Weed in the sense of get rid...It's only online hood rats exchange words with their superiors but hey...everyone's equal on the net...even Intellectually challenged individuals like you.
go hang urself,dude

b4 u do dat,stop derailing comment section
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by gmaribel(m): 7:40pm On Oct 02, 2016
Doctor Agbalaka came out and claimed he had a cure for aids more than a decade ago. He was shouted down and forced by the ministry of health to recant. Without even putting his claim to test. Even when he proposed to inject himself with the virus and then treat it.

Today we are hailing UK clinicians for coming out with claim to cure aids. When will this inferiority complex end.

1 Like

Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Willybos(m): 7:41pm On Oct 02, 2016
Atlas, the world gonna be beautiful now!
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Manone: 7:43pm On Oct 02, 2016
U
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by godson4u79(m): 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2016
Finally!

Am the happiest man on Earth

Proudly Team_Skin_Diving
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Rekyz(m): 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2016
Gold Circle go lose market. I hope the level of irresponsibility amoungst youth doesn't increase.
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by ifenes(m): 7:46pm On Oct 02, 2016
god did it not the scientists. I'm only joking!
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by YourNemesis: 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
Please don't give it to Africans.
Let them continue fucking and dying.
Re: HIV Cure Finally Here ? Scientists Make Remarkable Breakthrough ! by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
i have heard this many times

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus / COVID-19: Bukola Olopade Tests Positive, First Case In Nigerian Sports / A Must See Photo: Side Effect Of Using Booty Enlargement Pill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.