Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Having Sex Can Make You Believe In God And Religion - New Research - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Having Sex Can Make You Believe In God And Religion - New Research (518 Views)

Technology And Religion / Tea Is More Dangerous Than Beer: New Research. / A Dozen Words Of Wisdom That Would Make You A Better Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having Sex Can Make You Believe In God And Religion - New Research by bond007i(m): 10:45am On Oct 02, 2016
Researchers at Duke University say that sex could inspire a belief or an increased belief in God and religion.

Sex releases something called oxytocin. It’s also known as the “hug hormone” and “cuddle chemical”, as it plays a crucial role in love and affection.

Oxytocin occurs naturally within us and is stimulated during sex, childbirth, and breast feeding.

For a long time the chemical has been known to promote social bonding, trust, and even altruism.

Now, scientists at the North Carolina university in America say it could also incite spirituality in men too.

Research assistant, Professor Dr Patty Van Cappellen, says: “Spirituality and meditation have each been linked to health and wellbeing in previous research. “We were interested in understanding biological factors that may enhance those spiritual experiences. “Oxytocin appears to be part of the way our bodies support spiritual beliefs.”

According to the study, spotted by the Bath Chronicle, women produce more oxytocin then men, but Duke University hasn’t yet studied its effects on female godliness.

To test the chemical reaction in men, participants were given the hormone, and others received a placebo. The men who got a dose of the “hug hormone” were more likely to say that spirituality was an important part of their lives. It had meaning.

They said so whether they’d previously noted that faith was a major aspect of their lives or not.

Those who took part also said they’d be more likely to see themselves as “interconnection with other people and living things”, the study reports.

Oxytocin, it seems, sparked more positive emotions, such as awe, gratitude, hope, inspiration, love, and serenity. But it didn't affect everyone equally – those with a certain gene, called CD38 and which regulates its release in the brain, had a much more amplified response.

The study was published online in Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience.

Prof Van Cappellen adds that another study needs to be carried out with women as the chemical operates differently between genders.
“Oxytocin’s effects on women’s spirituality still needs to be investigated,” she says. having sex, do you ever feel like heading off to church? You know, you’ve just had some good times, you’re snuggling down, and think, “yes, I think I'll say a prayer now”.

If you feel prompted to do such things, science might explain it. Especially if you’re male.

According to new research, having sex could inspire some sort of divinity within us – a greater sense of purpose, perhaps. Sex releases something called the “cuddle chemical”, which could also inspire spirituality.
Re: Having Sex Can Make You Believe In God And Religion - New Research by nwasinachi(f): 11:09am On Oct 02, 2016
I dont have to fu.k to believe in God. My faith in him is unshakeable

2 Likes

Re: Having Sex Can Make You Believe In God And Religion - New Research by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 03, 2016
I see
Re: Having Sex Can Make You Believe In God And Religion - New Research by Kexorcist(m): 11:22pm On Oct 03, 2016
So that's why even girls who say dey atheist shout "Oh God" when I'm wit dem. grin

(1) (Reply)

Please Help: How Can I Lose My V! Rginity Without Pain? / Actress Narrates How A Man She Met Once Gave Her With 500k As A Birthday Gift / Typeset Your Document In Latex 08033147591

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.