Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Siasia Quits Youth Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Siasia Quits Youth Football (4697 Views)

Poll: Is This A Good Move?

Yes: 81% (49 votes)
No: 18% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

El-rufai, Mikel, Siasia,Ighalo Win At Bet9ja Pitch Awards / Vincent Enyeama Finally Quits Unceremoniously. / Right To Dream (rtd)-One Of The Best Youth Football Academy In The world. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siasia Quits Youth Football by kaaz(m): 6:53am On Oct 16, 2009
Siasia quits youth football 

Samson Siasia says he's had enough of coaching youth teams
Nigeria's former under-20 coach Samson Siasia says he will not be coaching any more youth sides in Africa.

His comments come after his side's exit from the Under-20 World Cup in Egypt when they lost 3-2 to 10-man Germany in the second round of the tournament.

The coach now admits that working with young African players is extremely demanding and uninspiring.

He was quick to dismiss suggestions he could take charge of the Olympic side or any Nigerian youth side in future.

"I'm not going to come back to junior levels anymore," he told Punch newspaper in Nigeria.

"I want to progress in life. I have tried the junior levels a couple of times and now I have failed.

"It's difficult to work with young African players as they struggle to comprehend you, so therefore you need a lot of time, if you don't have that you will never succeed.

"In Europe it is a lot easier, the players are brought up from the academies and they learn a lot of things.

"But in Africa the players don't listen, their thinking is low and you have to repeat yourself over and over or they will forget."

In 2005 Siasia won the African Youth Championship in Benin with Nigeria before taking them to second place at the Under-20 World Cup in Holland the same year.

He also won silver at the Olympics in Beijing last year.

His meteoric rise led to calls in the local media and from fans for him to be made the coach of the national team, but he is not thinking about the Super Eagles job just yet.

Instead he wants everyone to back the current coach Shaibu Amodu.

"I don't want to think about that, everyone needs to support Amodu now because it is a crucial time for the team," he added.

"I have some offers that my agent is working on now but nothing is concrete yet.

"I just want to relax, think about my career and see what I am going to do."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8309621.stm
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Bolarge(m): 8:37am On Oct 16, 2009
Wise move.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by sylve11: 10:12am On Oct 16, 2009
kaaz:

Siasia quits youth football

"It's difficult to work with young African players as they struggle to comprehend you, so therefore you need a lot of time, if you don't have that you will never succeed.

"In Europe it is a lot easier, the players are brought up from the academies and they learn a lot of things.

"But in Africa the players don't listen, their thinking is low and you have to repeat yourself over and over or they will forget."

U see the reasons why Sir Alex Ferguson never like breeding African players? grin grin cool
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by omar22(m): 11:16am On Oct 16, 2009
I dont blame him, he has paid his dues
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by gbolo2001: 12:24pm On Oct 16, 2009
a very good move for him, truly nigerian youths are technically lacking they are not intelligent wat we need to do is scout harder and put real under 20's who we listen and still have plenty room for development
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by vislabraye(m): 12:25pm On Oct 16, 2009
That is commendable. I know most Nigerian coaches would stay until they are sacked. But Siasia seems to have a different mentality. Kudos

sylve11:

U see the reasons why Sir Alex Ferguson never like breeding African players? grin grin cool

Don't mind Fergie. Why was he struggling to so much get Mikel Obi? Fergie really does not have an eye for African players unlike Wenger and Mourhino.

I think Siasia should move else where so that his career would grow. Coaching the youth team is like being stagnant
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Witi(m): 12:33pm On Oct 16, 2009
I love this guy he is seriously wise and a man I think Amodu should follow suit because he failed us than Siasia. Imagine FIFA brought world cup to our backyard and we wont participate.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by amedino(m): 12:35pm On Oct 16, 2009
What a pity, the young man realy tried his best for Nigeria and this recent failure shouldn't wipe off his past glories.But i tot bolton wanderers wanted somethimes ago or was it just a rumour? I think the young man need to pligh his trade in europe this time around after his fruitless spell with African small boys 'MEN' . If he takes my advice, then he can think to taking eagles job in future. SIASIA HOW ABOUT THAT?  undecided
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by totalfact(m): 12:42pm On Oct 16, 2009
Merci beacoup pour decisons!
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Princek12(m): 12:52pm On Oct 16, 2009
I feel him, sha. It is hard rearing young African, say Nigerian players who grew up playing ball on the streets of Ajegunle into thinking about the technicalities of the game; it is also hard to make them execute on the pitch what they learned during classroom and video instructions about strategies for each game, similar to the manner in which kids in soccer academies learn the game. Their mentality makes them amenable to individualistic plays, being excessively rugged, and dribbling and dribbling the ball with no purpose for goal, as opposed to being tactical with respect to teamwork and winning, like that stupid Haruna's last minute dribbling attempt in the match against Germany, which cost us the game. That ish will frustrate any coach with intellect--just like it frustrated Siasia. I hope he has a coaching future with the Super Eagles.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by semid4lyfe(m): 12:53pm On Oct 16, 2009
Crap! The guy should shut up and stop talking nonsense. when he won the AYC and won silver in WYC and Olympics, his players listened and were not difficult to coach but now that he has failed, the players do not listen? YEYE!

He has just shot himself in the foot because what he has just admitted is that he selected players who do not respect him and refused to play according to his instructions. It says much for ability as a coach. The guy should 'mechionu' and stop speaking from both sides of his mouth jare. Nonsense!
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:00pm On Oct 16, 2009
He is right about one thing though, 90% of our players are so dim-witted that the primary reason they lose matches is because they lack the reasoning and common-sense developed only through a solid youth education and proper coaching and mentoring methods.

After each match you can obviously note how often our boys seemingly ignore gaps, watch the ball, react rather control the field.

They are always beaten by the smarts of other teams, Skills alone won't get you anywhere without brains to guide it
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by bisiaet: 1:06pm On Oct 16, 2009
God bless Siasia
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Princek12(m): 1:11pm On Oct 16, 2009
semid4lyfe:

Crap! The guy should shut up and stop talking nonsense. when he won the AYC and won silver in WYC and Olympics, his players listened and were not difficult to coach but now that he has failed, the players do not listen? YEYE!

He has just shot himself in the foot because what he has just admitted is that he selected players who do not respect him and refused to play according to his instructions. It says much for ability as a coach. The guy should 'mechionu' and stop speaking from both sides of his mouth jare. Nonsense!

Lol. But the guy has no choice but to select from the pool of players he is presented with, even if they don't listen to him. He has also said all along that a lot of the players don't listen to him; for example he said he told the team and specifically told Taye Taiwo not to aggressively challenge any opponent who has no chance for goal in the box 18. Taye Taiwo and another team mate did the exact opposite, which made the team concede two penalties, costing them the final game against Argentina in the 2005 Under-20 World Cup.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by lawrence83: 1:13pm On Oct 16, 2009
But in Africa the players don't listen, their thinking is low and you have to repeat yourself over and over or they will forget."

Siasia shut up and accept you lost this time.

When you won silver medals in AYC and the olympics, the players thinking were ryt huh?

Get the Bleep up and dont give me that trash.

Every day aint christmas bro.

WHO CARES where u go to after now. . . . . nonsense
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by greateliso(m): 1:27pm On Oct 16, 2009
Samson; you done try
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by ayusman16(m): 1:30pm On Oct 16, 2009
What of our coaches that have achieved fame with African Players, Fanny Amun, Sebastine Boderick, Yemi Tella? Only a bad workman blames his tools. If that statement is true then am disappointed in him.

Moreover, he has always been placing 2nd.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by fekwenugo2: 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2009
Princek12:

Lol. But the guy has no choice but to select from the pool of players he is presented with, even if they don't listen to him. He has also said all along that a lot of the players don't listen to him; for example he said he told the team and specifically told Taye Taiwo not to aggressively challenge any opponent who has no chance for goal in the box 18. Taye Taiwo and another team mate did the exact opposite, which made the team concede two penalties, costing them the final game against Argentina in the 2005 Under-20 World Cup.

Guy u harsh.U 4 tk am easy wit d guy na.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Radiant(f): 1:35pm On Oct 16, 2009
His Olympic boys love him. They understand him well may be because most of them play abroad.

I understand he wants to leave but he shouldn't say he has "failed". That's so unprofessional.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by ayusman16(m): 1:37pm On Oct 16, 2009
But he failed! Being kicked out in the 2nd round by all standard is failure considering the hopes Nigerians had on him,
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by VALIDATOR: 1:50pm On Oct 16, 2009
Its only after loss that you start hearing story that led to the loss.
Did he call his employer into confidence and give an official report of the doom they were to expect
Its always things like we are ready for the opponents and we will win of course by the grace of luck
After the loss, [b]stories [/b]change.Haba,,,,,,,, Omo Naija.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Radiant(f): 1:53pm On Oct 16, 2009
He shouldn't use that word.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Daddyx(m): 1:56pm On Oct 16, 2009
Lagos-Naija

Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football
« #16 on: Today at 01:30:03 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What of our coaches that have achieved fame with African Players,  Fanny Amun, Sebastine Boderick, Yemi Tella? Only a bad workman blames his tools. If that statement is true then am disappointed in him.

Moreover, he has always been placing 2nd.

Bros,
How about a good workman with bad and outdated tools? Can you compare a good tool to , ? All striving for the same output?It's easy for you to sit behind your PC and condemn those that even face the daunting challenges to achieve something. The Man has earned your respect, please give him. I wish you could work under the NFF fire-brigade, win @ all cost and buck passing regime. All expecting quick results(3 Months ko?) I  hope he does well in europe or elsewhere, where efforts are made @ making things work. I wish him the best in all his future endeavors. Kudos!!!
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by ayusman16(m): 2:00pm On Oct 16, 2009
@Daddyx

Tell me in Engilish that the guy didnt fail? U don't av to compare Samson and I.

Can't remember NFF putting a gun to his head that he must take up the appointment 3months to a competition?

My point exactly is that the whole system is messed up that even our good heads are begining to fail.

Siasia is still not better than all the Nigerian coaches that have won gold for us. Gbam!
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Oluschenco(m): 2:14pm On Oct 16, 2009
It's a good move for Siasia, those boys are useless, (never do good guys) after a narrow escape, they still disgraced us.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by biolabee(m): 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2009
its a gd move for the man yes but i think its not for naiaja as he is one of the best young coaches to hv come out of the country and i dont want us to lose him
i think he shd arrnange a move to asia/sa/middle east get some wad and experience and then come bk
he will succeed here
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 16, 2009
good news 4 him
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Rooneyboy(m): 2:39pm On Oct 16, 2009
Samson Siasia is only bitter because those "stupid" boys decided to pour örorö 4 in CV .
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Jeovy(m): 2:40pm On Oct 16, 2009
supported
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by snowdrops(m): 2:41pm On Oct 16, 2009
good luck to him.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by rasputinn(m): 2:45pm On Oct 16, 2009
[size=14pt]Good Decision sia1[/size]
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Nezan(m): 2:52pm On Oct 16, 2009
Excellent move! Wishing him success in future endeavours.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Fifa Balon D'or Winners. / Which Has Largest Fan Base?man Utd.,arsenal,chelsea And Liverpool: / Sure Winnings Are Inevitable With Us, Join Us Now! 15 Soccer Picks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.