Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview (7744 Views)

For Job Seekers, How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview / My Experience In A Deceived Job Interview In Lagos(gnld Now Neolife Networking) / How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by HumbleVictor(m): 1:30am On Oct 03, 2016
Have you ever left a job interview knowing you completely flopped? Sometimes you probably dealt with it by beating yourself up and putting that opportunity behind you. But walking away from the job or employer with a negative attitude won’t benefit anyone. Note that we’ve all done it: you get asked to interview for a dream job and its all downhill from there. Regardless of what happened and why, all hope is not lost. Here are a few strategies you can use to bounce back and stay on the hiring manager’s radar;

REFLECT ON THE EXPERIENCE

“I talk to many job seekers who believe they have bombed the interview,” Brooks says. “The first thing I do is ask them what went well. It’s important to discover what went well first so that you’re able to look at the negative aspects with a less defeated attitude. I then ask what one thing they would change.” If you have a bad feeling about the way things panned out, identify exactly what went wrong.

EVALUATE THE SITUATION OBJECTIVELY

It’s easy to work yourself into a panic after a bad job interview, but a seemingly catastrophic interview may not be as disastrous as you think. Give yourself some time to unwind after the interview is over. If you start to think about it right after it’s concluded, you’ll only feel more worried. Once you’ve cooled off a bit, it’s time to write out exactly what you think went wrong. This includes points you forget to mention, flubbing your words, or misunderstood questions. When the list is complete, think about the severity of the problems, if you accidentally called the interviewer Matt and he was Mike; move on. It happens. But if you completely forgot to mention relevant job experience, consider a way to correct this.

LEARN FROM IT

“The best thing to do with a bad interview is learn from it,” Brooks adds. Don’t wallow in self-pity or allow the bad interview to be an excuse for not following-up or not interviewing for a while. Instead, ask yourself what you would do differently to prepare next time; figure out what information you should have had that you didn’t and think about how you would handle a difficult question next time.

FIGURE OUT HOW TO PROCEED

If you have contacts within the company, you can talk to them and see if they can get an honest assessment of what happened. They can help you understand the extent of the damage, and may even be able to help you correct the problems. If you don’t have anyone to talk to, follow up directly with the interviewer. Wait at least 24 hours and then write an email or call and clarify some of the errors that you made. Begin the call in a casual tone, and subtly segue into one of the points that make you worried.

KEEP LOOKING FOR A JOB

Lastly, unless you have recently won the lottery, you can’t afford to let this incident end your job search. So keep looking for a job. The best news is that, for most of us, interviews will be a part of our lives for many years. So, the better we become at interviews, the easier our subsequent job searches will be.
My name is [okeke chukwudi victor]. I am a sales agent with Patrick Okunima & Associates (Professional CV Writers).

Source: www.patrickokunima.com/2016/10/01/how-to-bounce-back-from-a-bad-job-interview/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by elmisti(m): 6:33am On Oct 03, 2016
Nice write up....as a fresh graduate. .Dnt think am ready to experience a bad one tho......landing one is scary enough.

So the first thing I did on a Monday morning is a space booking on NL....well the feeling is worth it sha.....

Shout out to all outgoing B15 corp members, all kwasite and to my new group, all job seekers....hope we all have the best..

#another bucket list checked grin grin

3 Likes

Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by Cherishing(f): 6:34am On Oct 03, 2016
ok
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by olafunny(m): 6:35am On Oct 03, 2016
Some naija dudes be taking BEER to forget d past nd prepare for future cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by saintkel(m): 6:37am On Oct 03, 2016
Most times we dwell on d past more than we dwell on d future.
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 03, 2016
Hmm

1 Like

Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by bridgesjnr: 6:40am On Oct 03, 2016
why not brainstorm on nice proposals and sell to that same company.... trust me....so long as your proposal is good....they'll call you in and treat you with a better respect than before...

or better still....find a problem people are facing and think of a solution....trust me you won't be applying to any coy anymore...

thank me by checking walldesignking or my signature..
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by tpbehappy(m): 6:43am On Oct 03, 2016
Op, u didn't include one valid point.
Pray to God for favour...it works like a magic. I am a witness of this. If God has not built the house.....

1 Like

Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by izzy14(m): 6:45am On Oct 03, 2016
Just happened to me recently,but afterwards I went to the bar took some beer and prepare for the next one.Life is too short to give up now!
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by Princejboy(m): 6:47am On Oct 03, 2016
nice one OP
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by McCarlito(m): 6:47am On Oct 03, 2016
After the interview simply go home and take a romantic walk towards the fridge and grab ur self a chilled cup of water....
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3554500_giphy_giff78492f0513c659e69dab2e47f567202
Simply feel like a boss.....
Because e no easy my guy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by MVLOX(m): 6:52am On Oct 03, 2016
so true
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by McCarlito(m): 6:53am On Oct 03, 2016
olafunny:
Some naija dudes be taking BEER to forget d past nd prepare for future cheesy cheesy cheesy
No forget say over thinking dey kill oooooo
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by EternalBeing: 6:59am On Oct 03, 2016
I slapped a Soldier today..................... and he ran away. That's how I confirmed he was fake. What nonsense?! Can you just imagine! We must join hands together to sanitize our society. Pls let's join hands to expose the fake soldiers in town. How? By Slapping any soldiers you come across this week. If he runs, then he is fake. If he doesn't run, the Lord is your strength.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by clydedaniels(m): 7:00am On Oct 03, 2016
Had a Bank interview few years back 2014

I was asked bout my project.... cry I flopped... lipsrsealed

Fast forward to 2016, am a full staff in the same bank...

Moral:
Accept defeat, acknowledge your mistakes/weaknesses, improve on them wink

1 Like

Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by Jayroland: 7:06am On Oct 03, 2016
Nice. However, these may not all apply to Nigeria. Those interviewers that feel they are gods, would they even tell you where you got it wrong? Most of them would shrug off the question by replying with ' you tried'!
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by BE811APP: 7:06am On Oct 03, 2016
I will keep that in mind!!!
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by bukjossy(m): 7:13am On Oct 03, 2016
Noted
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by tunebob(m): 7:17am On Oct 03, 2016
nice writeup
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by Pedrogold(m): 7:21am On Oct 03, 2016
izzy14:
Just happened to me recently,but afterwards I went to the bar took some beer and prepare for the next one.Life is too short to give up now!

True talk Dr.unkard. Life is short to feel bad. we look forward to seeing you again. Hope the next one goes well though

....manager, beer producers association....
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by hyb33(m): 7:24am On Oct 03, 2016
bad job interview?.....i dont pray to experience it...insha Allah
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by Olukokosir(m): 7:27am On Oct 03, 2016
Life is too short to tink ova past events.. Relax, drink beer, kush some weeds nd let konji take ova d rest..

Good mawin pals
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by palladin: 7:51am On Oct 03, 2016
cool

1 Like

Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by elmisti(m): 8:36am On Oct 03, 2016
clydedaniels:
Had a Bank interview few years back 2014

I was asked bout my project.... cry I flopped... lipsrsealed

Fast forward to 2016, am a full staff in the same bank...

Moral:
Accept defeat, acknowledge your mistakes/weaknesses, improve on them wink

Ask about project kwa
......what has dat got to do wit anything
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by dustydee: 8:36am On Oct 03, 2016
HumbleVictor:
Have you ever left a job interview knowing you completely flopped? Sometimes you probably dealt with it by beating yourself up and putting that opportunity behind you. But walking away from the job or employer with a negative attitude won’t benefit anyone. Note that we’ve all done it: you get asked to interview for a dream job and its all downhill from there. Regardless of what happened and why, all hope is not lost. Here are a few strategies you can use to bounce back and stay on the hiring manager’s radar;

REFLECT ON THE EXPERIENCE

“I talk to many job seekers who believe they have bombed the interview,” Brooks says. “The first thing I do is ask them what went well. It’s important to discover what went well first so that you’re able to look at the negative aspects with a less defeated attitude. I then ask what one thing they would change.” If you have a bad feeling about the way things panned out, identify exactly what went wrong.

EVALUATE THE SITUATION OBJECTIVELY

It’s easy to work yourself into a panic after a bad job interview, but a seemingly catastrophic interview may not be as disastrous as you think. Give yourself some time to unwind after the interview is over. If you start to think about it right after it’s concluded, you’ll only feel more worried. Once you’ve cooled off a bit, it’s time to write out exactly what you think went wrong. This includes points you forget to mention, flubbing your words, or misunderstood questions. When the list is complete, think about the severity of the problems, if you accidentally called the interviewer Matt and he was Mike; move on. It happens. But if you completely forgot to mention relevant job experience, consider a way to correct this.

LEARN FROM IT

“The best thing to do with a bad interview is learn from it,” Brooks adds. Don’t wallow in self-pity or allow the bad interview to be an excuse for not following-up or not interviewing for a while. Instead, ask yourself what you would do differently to prepare next time; figure out what information you should have had that you didn’t and think about how you would handle a difficult question next time.

FIGURE OUT HOW TO PROCEED

If you have contacts within the company, you can talk to them and see if they can get an honest assessment of what happened. They can help you understand the extent of the damage, and may even be able to help you correct the problems. If you don’t have anyone to talk to, follow up directly with the interviewer. Wait at least 24 hours and then write an email or call and clarify some of the errors that you made. Begin the call in a casual tone, and subtly segue into one of the points that make you worried.

KEEP LOOKING FOR A JOB

Lastly, unless you have recently won the lottery, you can’t afford to let this incident end your job search. So keep looking for a job. The best news is that, for most of us, interviews will be a part of our lives for many years. So, the better we become at interviews, the easier our subsequent job searches will be.
My name is [okeke chukwudi victor]. I am a sales agent with Patrick Okunima & Associates (Professional CV Writers).

Source: www.patrickokunima.com/2016/10/01/how-to-bounce-back-from-a-bad-job-interview/

Why don't you put the direct link you copied it from? Later you'd be accusing the president of plagiarism. What you did above is stealing, you could have at least given credit to the original author.
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 03, 2016
elmisti:

Ask about project kwa
......what has dat got to do wit anything

Nwanne, I did an interview last wednesday, I was asked about my project work kwa!!! It gats to do with many things bro!
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by elmisti(m): 9:11am On Oct 03, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

Nwanne, I did an interview last wednesday, I was asked about my project work kwa!!! It gats to do with many things bro!

So. U mean one av to find away to marry his research work nd a prospective career.....this is an eye opener......wld av bn a TKO if I am to answer a question like that prior
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by ayusco85(m): 9:30am On Oct 03, 2016
Ok
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 03, 2016
elmisti:

So. U mean one av to find away to marry his research work nd a prospective career.....this is an eye opener......wld av bn a TKO if I am to answer a question like that prior

No need marry na, if na u do am yasef. E suppose dey inprinted in ur brain na
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by elmisti(m): 12:39pm On Oct 03, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

No need marry na, if na u do am yasef. E suppose dey inprinted in ur brain na

Lol. Tru...Buh smkind project Ehn
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 03, 2016
elmisti:

Lol. Tru...Buh smkind project Ehn
I get sha, baba! Nofin do us
Re: How To Bounce Back From A Bad Job Interview by HumbleVictor(m): 12:52am On Oct 04, 2016
dustydee:

Why don't you put the direct link you copied it from? Later you'd be accusing the president of plagiarism. What you did above is stealing, you could have at least given credit to the original author.
are you not seeing the source link? please, always think before you say.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Simple Guide On How To Write A Winning Resume / Business Development Officer - Pecan Trust Microfinance Bank [120k] / Trenova Ltd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.