Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets (15095 Views)

Photo Of Ajimobi, Tinubu And Aregbesola: Hilarious Caption / Adeboye, Nathaniel Bassey And Aregbesola At Presidential Christmas Carol (Photos / Osinbajo, Ajimobi, El-Rufai And Aregbesola Laugh So Hard At Launch Of Free Meal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Topskybadoo(m): 2:15am On Oct 03, 2016
The Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, and his from Osun State counterpart, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola have disagreed over the need to sell national assets to finance the 2016 budget.

While Aregbesola urged the Federal Government to sell ‘idle’ national assets and spare the functional ones, Fayose opposed the idea, arguing that selling them would amount to auctioning Nigeria.

The duo spoke in Ado Ekiti during an interactive forum which was part of the activities lined up to mark the 20th anniversary of the creation of Ekiti State.

They, however, canvassed regional integration and cooperation as well as the revival of agriculture as some of the steps to revive national economy.

Aregbesola, who delivered a lecture entitled, “The imperative of unity,” said the biting economic problem was such that in the whole of the South-West region, only Lagos State could stand on its own.

He stressed the need to intensify efforts to revive agriculture, end oil pipeline vandalism and promote regional integration for meaningful development.

He said, “We should revive agriculture, especially food production. Agriculture gives us raw materials for industries and aids in no small measure in economic development. If we can improve on our productivity in food production through agriculture, we will eliminate hunger in our land.

“I want to urge Nigerians to end the ongoing vandalism of oil pipelines as the militants’ activities have been reducing the nation’s daily oil productivity level to between 700,000 and one million per barrel.

“The current vandalism of oil pipeline by the Niger Delta militants is robbing the nation of oil production of 700,000 to one million per barrel on a daily basis. This amounts to a huge loss of oil revenue to the country and has further led to the current recession in the country. An urgent concerted effort is therefore needed to stop the vandalism so that the country could get out of the recession.”

Aregbesola added, “It is high time the Yoruba nation and indeed the South-West united in terms of integrating our development strategies in education, commerce, economy, agriculture and tourism among others. There is no reason we should not unite for the best.

“The truth is that no Yoruba state, with the exception of Lagos State, can survive alone without collaborating with sister states. Therefore, we have to come together, pull together our abundant human and material resources.”

The governor described Ekiti people as men of integrity and courage and urged them to continue to support their governor for the development of the country.

“I congratulate all Ekiti people on the 20th anniversary of the creation of your state, my state, our state. You fought the Ekiti Parapo War which is an indication of unity of purpose. There is strength in unity.”

But Fayose, in his remarks, said selling the national assets was like selling Nigeria at a give-away price.

“Selling our national assets simply amounts to auctioning Nigeria. If we sell the assets because the country is in recession, what would be left of Nigeria?

“What would we call our own? Selling of assets is like moving the country backward. If we sell the assets to finance this year’s budget what would we sell next year? The Federal Government should look beyond its party and assemble economists and financial experts that would assist the President in his drive to bring the nation out of the present economic quagmire.”

Urging the Federal Government to uphold the principles of justice and equity, which he said were germane to building democracy, the governor said, “Justice is very important and without it, democracy is already endangered. If people are now beginning to contest against the Independent National Electoral Commission and security agencies for manipulation of elections, then democracy is endangered. It is political parties that are supposed to contest elections and not people contesting against inadequacies of the electoral umpire.”

http://punchng.com/fayose-aregbesola-disagree-sale-national-assets/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Standing5(m): 3:12am On Oct 03, 2016
Even though Fayose isn't my favourite governor, I go with him here. Aregbe should auction his own 'idle' state assets.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by chriskosherbal(m): 3:15am On Oct 03, 2016
OK, different personal opinions.
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by orunto27: 3:16am On Oct 03, 2016
Osun State should join PDP and together fight to zone Nigeria constitutionally into four autonomous cardinal regions
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Standing5(m): 3:18am On Oct 03, 2016
Topskybadoo:

But Fayose, in his remarks, said selling the national assets was like selling Nigeria at a give-away price.

“Selling our national assets simply amounts to auctioning Nigeria. If we sell the assets because the country is in recession, what would be left of Nigeria?

“What would we call our own? Selling of assets is like moving the country backward. If we sell the assets to finance this year’s budget what would we sell next year? The Federal Government should look beyond its party and assemble economists and financial experts that would assist the President in his drive to bring the nation out of the present economic quagmire .”
Fayose made sense initially but then tried to play vile politics when he delved into the issue of competent hands.

4 Likes

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by sarrki(m): 4:53am On Oct 03, 2016
orunto27:
Osun State should join PDP and together fight to zone Nigeria constitutionally into four autonomous cardinal regions

Must osun joined pdp before he can raise a point ?

Osun as fared well under Aregbe

When your glorified party was at the helms of affairs

Why didn't you suggest to your leaders.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by mercichoco(f): 5:02am On Oct 03, 2016
I go with fayose, he made more sense about selling national asset.

3 Likes

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by orunto27: 7:28am On Oct 03, 2016
I'm neither in PDP nor APC. I'm a CNE(Concerned Nigerian Elders). Buhari doesn't seem to me interested in any Restructuring biz. PDP seems ready to restructure at the next available opportunity. And somehow, Osun and Ekiti have similar fortunes in Yoruba Enclave.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by amunkita(m): 8:23am On Oct 03, 2016
They re both right nd wrong..

If we sell them now, in 2017 what re we going to sell..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by saintkel(m): 8:25am On Oct 03, 2016
Different views is welcomed in politics.
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by ChappyChase: 8:28am On Oct 03, 2016
okay oo
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by shaddoww: 8:28am On Oct 03, 2016
I go with Aregbesola though. We have some idle assets dat we should sell but hw we will make sure money isn't looted is d big task. At least every state has Nitel buildings just there, d federal secretariat in some states are idle too.

13 Likes

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Jejelomoekonlo: 8:28am On Oct 03, 2016
amunkita:
They re both right nd wrong..
If we sell them now, in 2017 what re we going to sell..
We'll sell the presido himself
grin grin grin

shaddoww:
I go with Aregbesola though. We have some idle assets dat we should sell but hw we will make sure money isn't looted is d big task. At least every state has Nitel buildings just there, d federal secretariat in some states are idle too.
cool

sarrki:

Must osun joined pdp before he can raise a point ?
Osun as fared well under Aregbe
When your glorified party was at the helms of affairs
Why didn't you suggest to your leaders.
Was gbayi

Standing5:
Even though Fayose isn't my favourite governor, I go with him here. Aregbe should auction his own 'idle' state assets.
shocked
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 03, 2016
We are too emotional in this country, except the NLNG and NNPC and Nigeria's equity in other performing assets, all other moribund assets like these should should be sold outrightly.

The Presidential fleet,
All refineries,
Ajaokuta Steel Mill,
Airports

Then after this, let's see if they would work optimally. Dangote should opt for the Nigerian refineries instead of eyeing the performing NLNG.

5 Likes

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by adekayo1234(m): 8:29am On Oct 03, 2016
Don't even know which one I will prefer but I really won't mind if some sectors are completely privatised

2 Likes

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by shamecurls(m): 8:29am On Oct 03, 2016
How can A tout and intellectual disagree over economic issues! What does Fayose know about the economy? Does he think is about eating Ponmo or sharing rice for Ekiti people.

Aregbesola must have stooped very low to make Fayose assimilate his points.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by kings09(m): 8:31am On Oct 03, 2016
Sell d presidential aircrafts, sell d national assembly, sell all legislators, sell national stadium sell any institution/any1 dats a liability like buhari n lai mohammed.

4 Likes

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by teebaxy(m): 8:31am On Oct 03, 2016
Nigeria media are very stupid, last week the governors has a consensus agreement not to sell national assets today they say aregbesola and fayose disagree on sales of national asset. Are they not governors? Or they are prone ministers. No news
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by fulaniHERDSman(m): 8:32am On Oct 03, 2016
Two insignificant southern bastards angry

1 Like

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Jejelomoekonlo: 8:33am On Oct 03, 2016
Bolustic:
Oya come continue wetin you start
grin

1 Like

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Jejelomoekonlo: 8:33am On Oct 03, 2016
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by blackpanda: 8:33am On Oct 03, 2016
orunto27:
I'm neither in PDP nor APC. I'm a CNE(Concerned Nigerian Elders). Buhari doesn't seem to me interested in any Restructuring biz. PDP seems ready to restructure at the next available opportunity. And somehow, Osun and Ekiti have similar fortunes in Yoruba Enclave.

The question is: what do u mean by "restructuring"? Do u mean the disintegration of nigeria? Reschuffling of fed/state powers? Opting for regionalism rather that creation of states? Opting for paliamentary govt rather than presidential?? Opting for unicameralism rather than bicameralism??

This is the problem with nigerians. We just join the band wagon to use words which we have no clue about. That how many were crying for deregulation, and now that govt has deregulated fuel is now 145, dollar is now 445, and the same people are crying foul. Pls lets be patient rather than rush into irrational and unhelpful options that really make no sense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Jejelomoekonlo: 8:34am On Oct 03, 2016
fulaniHERDSman:
Two insignificant southern bastards angry
shocked
Uncle lala is watching you in 20D
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Jejelomoekonlo: 8:35am On Oct 03, 2016
teebaxy:
Nigeria media are very stupid, last week the governors has a consensus agreement not to sell national assets today they say aregbesola and fayose disagree on sales of national asset. Are they not governors? Or they are prone ministers. No news
shocked sad grin cheesy
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by fulaniHERDSman(m): 8:35am On Oct 03, 2016
Jejelomoekonlo:

shocked
Uncle lala is watching you in 20D
Are they nairaland monickers? Get lost my friend angry sad

1 Like

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by loomer: 8:37am On Oct 03, 2016
2 werey and best of friends
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Godwin16(m): 8:37am On Oct 03, 2016
Fayose is right, he has proven a point. No need selling assets to finance national budget.

1 Like

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by NwaEzefuNaMba(m): 8:38am On Oct 03, 2016
How are we sure the said assets has not been sold to friends and party loyalist?

Cause Buhari Government is running on updated "the more you look, the less you see version"
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by chuose2: 8:39am On Oct 03, 2016
[size=14pt]THEY SIMPLY WANT TO SELL ASSETS OF THE SOUTH TO THE NORTH!

BY THE TIME THIS DULLARD DON FINISH WITH NIGERIA.

NIGERIA WILL BE BACK IN THE STONE AGES.[/size]

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by HtwoOw: 8:39am On Oct 03, 2016
Intellectual vs dunce
Re: Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 03, 2016
Let's the vote begins if you support Aregbesola click 'like'
And
if you support Fayose click 'share'

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Rescheduled Governorship Primary Election To September 30 / Bola Tinubu Visits Benue, Meets With Delegates / PDP, Ohaneze Ndigbo Demand Immediate Release Of Senator Abaribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.