Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,470 members, 7,808,689 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians (5506 Views)

Atheism By Definition Is Problematic / Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton / Rising Atheism By Deji Yesufu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 8:11am On Oct 03, 2016
10) Atheism is a white man's philosophy
This is a widespread ignorant belief held by many Nigerians due to the fact that they have always been surrounded by religion- christianity, islam and ATR. They fail to realise that there have always been disbelievers with every religion in every continent. Were there not blasphemers in your village before the white man came? Atheists generally have been careful to hide their beliefs so that they won't be harmed. There are many Nigerian atheists who have never even been out of Nigeria, yet they became atheists.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4309031_blackwomenatheists720_jpeg2d420cdc46b7772a4aad3690d9bdec8f

9) Atheists only believe in science
This is another misconception about atheism. Since a lot of atheists use facts and scenitific research to argue, the christians at the end of such arguments feel that atheists just follow whatever scientists tell them. Atheism has nothing to do with science. Science and logic are just the best ways of pointing out that God/religion are unnecessary. Some atheists do not even understand science- they just have a sceptical mind. Atheists are human beings like you- they love, they drink, they play, they fight.

cool Atheism is a result of bad parenting.
Many ignorant nigerians believe that because atheist nigerians come from religious households, their (the atheists') parents must have failed in teaching them the religion. This is not so. People leave religion due to evidence or some experience. You cannot lock everyone's brain to a religion. People change. People grow. People progress.

7) Atheism is a cult
Many ignorant Nigerians do not understand atheism and since it is not inline with their religion, they accuse it of being a cult. A good example of this ignorance is the belief held by many Pentecostal Nigerians that the catholic church is a cult- despite the catholic church being a much older and bigger church than their own

6) Atheism is a religion
This is one of the more dubious lies done not in ignorance but of hatred. Many christians and muslims know that their religions are problematic, so they too try to rope atheism in the problem as well by calling atheism a religion. They see atheists coming together to criticize their religion and they use this as a way to get back at the atheists. How can atheism be a religion? Are there gods in atheism? Is there any mode of worship? How can a lack of belief be a religion? Do atheists have any rituals? If I put 100 atheists in a room, would you find one single thing that ties them all together? No!

5) Atheism is the reason for communism and communist killers
Yes, state or forced atheism came as an integral part of communism but then, not all atheists are communists. Atheism is not a political party or a political doctrine. In fact, communism is more anti-religion or anti-theist than atheist since it kills religious people. Atheism is an empty disbelief and therefore it cannot be a motive for murder or politics. There have been many atheist presidents who have never been tyrants or murderers. In fact, the best president of recent times is an atheist- Jose Mujica of Uruguay.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4309232_josemujicabadgut_jpeg9723f525f1f8f3143ea819c095d6970f

4) Atheists are fools
Many nigerian christians and muslims believe that atheists are fools for two reasons
1) A gaping, colossal pit of hellfire awaits the ignorant unbelievers
2) The bible/quran both have unflattering descriptions for unbelievers
------
Atheists are not fools- they are human beings like you. Atheists just do not believe in hell or the quran or the bible. Furthermore, research shows that atheists/irreligious people tend to be smarter in general, compared to religious people. In fact, some of the smartest people on earth today are atheists. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists-according-to-analysis-of-scores-of-scientific-8758046.html ......it is also important to note that there are millions of religious people who are smart, if not smarter than atheists.

3) Atheists want to eradicate religion
This is one of the biggest fears of many ignorant and or dubious religious folk. They assume that atheists just hate religion and want to see it gone. There are good and bad atheists, just like there are good and bad religious people. Most good atheists, just like most good christians just want to enjoy their freedom to believe what they believe. Also, many atheists also want there to be separation of church and state- this also leads to the confusion that atheists want religion gone.

2) Atheism is satan's plan to deceive unbelievers in the end times
Atheists do not believe in Satan or any other deity. Full stop.

1) Atheists have no religion/God, hence they lack moral grounding.
This misconception is one of the biggest ones that atheists keep having to deal with. Many religious Nigerians seem to believe that morals come from the bible/quran. No- there are many sources for morality- logic, family, society and culture. Morality does not come from your religious books- or else, we would still be having slaves and killing blasphemers. Take the issue of human cloning- where did we get the morality to be against it? There is nothing against cloning in any religion or holy book- we all (christians, muslims, atheists hindu etc) came together in the form of united governments to say "no" to the terrible science of human cloning.

cc hahn, kingebukasblog, feargodandlive, dblackninja, hopefullandlord, johnydon22, josep1832, ishilove, lalasticlala, femarse, PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theonejabulani , lepasharon , cloudgoddess , ifenes , Hopefullandlord , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer , dalaman , Ranchhoddas , CAPSLOCKED , lilbrown007 , Elohim1, RaphieMontella , Weah96 , SirWere , sonofluc1fer , CEOmyn , beejay

25 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 8:50am On Oct 03, 2016
Nice Thread!

8 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by lilmax(m): 9:00am On Oct 03, 2016
but they are fools na grin
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by hahn(m): 9:12am On Oct 03, 2016
lilmax:
but they are fools na grin

Hell fire awaits you.

Make sure you go with something to barbecue. It is going to be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg stay grin

5 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by CAPSLOCKED: 9:32am On Oct 03, 2016
smiley

4 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by raphieMontella: 9:38am On Oct 03, 2016
jackbizzle...nice thread bruh
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 9:48am On Oct 03, 2016
hahn:

Hell fire awaits you.

Make sure you go with something to barbecue. It is going to be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg stay grin

Dont mind the hypocrite.
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:26am On Oct 03, 2016
The miasma of ignorance oozing out of this thread can kill ! How can you cure ignorance with more ignorance - disaster !

JackBizzle , bro just admit that you are just annoyed that atheists' arguments are getting weaker every time we Christians post new threads exposing your[atheists'] specious arguments , lies and ignorance .

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by ifenes(m): 10:29am On Oct 03, 2016
I hold an Atheistic view about the generally accepted god. However I do not believe in everything scientific. I do not live in a 1+1=2 world. Many people are Atheist because religion have oppressed their minds and they feel finally free after ditching it.

A group of Atheists could be a cult when certain individuals try to create a brick wall of reasoning and set certain rules on what to believe or not.

Atheism is not a result of bad parenting but a result of having a functioning mind,having the guts to think outside the god big picture. It's like saying the Maroons,during the time of slavery were a result of bad parenting.

Killers are not killers due to Atheism,but actually its easier to kill in the name of a god. As for the scientific view of African Atheists,I think it's time to have African scientist who do not depend on NASA or western scientific knowings. I don't think it is the best interest for the Europeans to give us good tidings about our Great ancient world. A lot of stuff are being stolen and swept under the carpet. No African claim to find things,they wait for the Europeans to do it....why?

9 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by WORLDPEACE(m): 11:09am On Oct 03, 2016
JackBizzle:

6) Atheism is a religion
This is one of the more dubious lies done not in ignorance but of hatred. Many christians and muslims know that their religions are problematic, so they too try to rope atheism in the problem as well by calling atheism a religion. They see atheists coming together to criticize their religion and they use this as a way to get back at the atheists. How can atheism be a religion? Are there gods in atheism? Is there any mode of worship? How can a lack of belief be a religion? Do atheists have any rituals? If I put 100 atheists in a room, would you find one single thing that ties them all together? No!
Reasons Why Atheism Looks Like A Religion
1. The fact that many Atheists are puzzled that the other side does not share their beliefs when the 'fact' is supposed to be obvious to all. That is subjectivity. This is exactly how the minds of religious people work.
2. The obsessive need to proselytize by some atheist can begin to look like they were given the commission to do so by a higher power. This is what the very religious do.
3. The self-righteousness of some. The "we are not like them who have done this and that" expressions. It's like watching christians and Muslims go at one another.
4. The "Scientists say" prefix every time Atheists want to make an important point often reminds one of "My Pastor says" or the "Qur'an says" which basically means that that "greater mind's" views overrules yours and everybody else's. This too is the stuff religion is made of.

And you know the say "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 12:55pm On Oct 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
The miasma of ignorance oozing out of this thread can kill ! How can you cure ignorance with more ignorance - disaster !

JackBizzle , bro just admit that you are just annoyed that atheists' arguments are getting weaker every time we Christians post new threads exposing your[atheists'] specious arguments , lies and ignorance .

And yet, you didn't put forward one reasonable counter-argument against the op?

6 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 1:00pm On Oct 03, 2016
WORLDPEACE:

Reasons Why Atheism Looks Like A Religion
1. The fact that many Atheists are puzzled that the other side does not share their beliefs when the 'fact' is supposed to be obvious to all. That is subjectivity. This is exactly how the minds of religious people work.
2. The obsessive need to proselytize by some atheist can begin to look like they were given the commission to do so by a higher power. This is what the very religious do.
3. The self-righteousness of some. The "we are not like them who have done this and that" expressions. It's like watching christians and Muslims go at one another.
4. The "Scientists say" prefix every time Atheists want to make an important point often reminds one of "My Pastor says" or the "Qur'an says" which basically means that that "greater mind's" views overrules yours and everybody else's. This too is the stuff religion is made of.

And you know the say "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

1. Who told you that atheists are puzzled about religious people's beliefs? Many atheists were muslims and christians before they became atheists

2. Do atheists preach to you at your front door like christians do? Do you see atheist preaching in the market square? Atheists do not proselytize. Stop the lies

3. Self-righteousness is not a religious stance. Anyone can be self righteous, with or without religion

Guy, you have no valid points. Atheism is not and can never be a religion.

8 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 1:01pm On Oct 03, 2016
ifenes:

A group of Atheists could be a cult when certain individuals try to create a brick wall of reasoning and set certain rules on what to believe or not.

Hmmm........that's an interesting thought. Do you have any specific examples of atheist cults?
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by promise101: 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Bro, they are really getting weaker.

(Whisper)...I sense that...getting so weak.
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 1:19pm On Oct 03, 2016
promise101:

Bro, they are really getting weaker.

(Whisper)...I sense that...getting so weak.

Oh....we have an atheist whisperer here!

This christian can sniff out atheism!

BEWARE!!!! undecided undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:30pm On Oct 03, 2016
JackBizzle:

And yet, you didn't put forward one reasonable counter-argument against the op?

Because all written has been countered before , you are simply obdurate about your weak arguments that's all

One good example is this thread proving that atheists indeed killed because of atheism , and your responses on this thread have been off topic ==>https://www.nairaland.com/3286519/communist-leaders-killed-millions-because/

Here are other examples , this time on morality

Some atheists here agreed that bestiality is right and those who said it was wrong could not give a reasonable reason -> https://www.nairaland.com/3246878/nairaland-atheists-bestiality-right-wrong

Same thing with incest -> https://www.nairaland.com/3202859/nairaland-atheists-incest-right-wrong

Here is a thread proving that numerous atheists have murderous tendencies ->https://www.nairaland.com/3176513/atheist-murderers-past-present-murderous

Like I always tell you , you cant claim you have morality when you agree there is no good or evil . And if you say something is good or evil you have no cogent reason to support your stance .
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 1:37pm On Oct 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Because all written has been countered before , you are simply obdurate about your weak arguments that's all

One good example is this thread proving that atheists indeed killed because of atheism , and your responses on this thread have been off topic ==>https://www.nairaland.com/3286519/communist-leaders-killed-millions-because/

Here are other examples , this time on morality

Some atheists here agreed that bestaliality is right and those who said it was wrong could not give a reasonable reason -> https://www.nairaland.com/3246878/nairaland-atheists-bestiality-right-wrong

Same thing with incest -> https://www.nairaland.com/3202859/nairaland-atheists-incest-right-wrong

Here is a thread proving that numerous atheists have murderous tendencies ->https://www.nairaland.com/3176513/atheist-murderers-past-present-murderous

Like I always tell you , you cant claim you have morality when you agree there is no good or evil . And if you say something is good or evil you have no cogent reason to support your stance .

You just cant stop lying? I answered your threads on communism and bestiality very well.

Please focus on the topic of my thread and stop derailing.....

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by dblackninja: 1:39pm On Oct 03, 2016
I just love this thread..really smiley
If only these theists will look into this thread, READ & UNDERSTAND it, we wouldn't be having repeats of vacuous threads calling out atheists for no equitable cause undecided

Who knows, bigotry might just reduce & intelligent propositions might be the order of the day.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:44pm On Oct 03, 2016
JackBizzle:

You just cant stop lying? I answered your threads on communism and bestiality very well.

Please focus on the topic of my thread and stop derailing.....

You misconstrued the whole thing , I didnt say all atheists killers kill because of atheism , I said only the communists who are atheists kill because of atheism .
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 1:44pm On Oct 03, 2016
dblackninja:
I just love this thread..really smiley
If only these theists will look into this thread, READ & UNDERSTAND it, we wouldn't be having repeats of vacuous threads calling out atheists for no equitable cause undecided

Who knows, bigotry might just reduce & intelligent propositions might be the order of the day.

One can only hope.....

2 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 1:46pm On Oct 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You misconstrued the whole thing , I didnt say all atheists killers kill because of atheism , I said only the communists who are atheists kill because of atheism .

How is atheism a motivation to kill?

Mr Ebuka, please, explain it in simple terms. Explain how a disbelief in God turns one into a killer.

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:48pm On Oct 03, 2016
JackBizzle:

Mr Ebuka, please, explain it in simple terms. Explain how a disbelief in God turns one into a killer.

I explained it here : https://www.nairaland.com/3286519/communist-leaders-killed-millions-because/
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 1:53pm On Oct 03, 2016
JackBizzle:

Jackbizzle

Ebuka is trying to derail and you're entertaining it

If he wants to discuss his threads, he can kindly go there

7 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 1:55pm On Oct 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I explained it here : https://www.nairaland.com/3286519/communist-leaders-killed-millions-because/

And if you had read the op of this thread, you would have realised that your views on communism/atheism in that thread are silly.

Atheism is not a political doctrine. Communism is. Communism leads to certain forms of tyranny and genocides. That has nothing to do with atheism. Does KKK define christianity? Why then should communism define atheism? How many atheists are communists?

Stop lying and start thinking.

JackBizzle:

Yes, state or forced atheism came as an integral part of communism but then, not all atheists are communists. Atheism is not a political party or a political doctrine. In fact, communism is more anti-religion or anti-theist than atheist since it kills religious people. Atheism is an empty disbelief and therefore it cannot be a motive for murder or politics. There have been many atheist presidents who have never been tyrants or murderers. In fact, the best president of recent times is an atheist- Jose Mujica of Uruguay.

3 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 1:56pm On Oct 03, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Jackbizzle

Ebuka is trying to derail and you're entertaining it

If he wants to discuss his threads, he can kindly go there

It doesnt matter, let him expose himself. Evidence of his derailing and guile are mounting up.... grin

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:05pm On Oct 03, 2016
JackBizzle:

And if you had read the op of this thread, you would have realised that your views on communism/atheism in that thread are silly.

Atheism is not a political doctrine. Communism is. Communism leads to certain forms of tyranny and genocides. That has nothing to do with atheism. Does KKK define christianity? Why then should communism define atheism? How many atheists are communists?

Stop lying and start thinking.

All these trash were refuted in this thread . Ugh !

Don't forget to post something reasonable here next time https://www.nairaland.com/3286519/communist-leaders-killed-millions-because/
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by oneolajire(m): 2:13pm On Oct 03, 2016
Funny thread.

If there is no God, then no Satan, then no supernatural or spiritual powers.

Atheist believe in metaphysics, so disgusting that they believe so.

They are silent about the native cohorts of Ogun, Osun, Ifa, Amadioha, etc.

Their major aim is to fight the GOD OF THE CHRISTIAN. To make people live without Jesus as their saviour and later plunge them into occultism.

We have all seen your tricks.

2 Likes

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2016
oneolajire:
Funny thread.

Can you prove this?

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 2:21pm On Oct 03, 2016
oneolajire:
Funny thread.

If there is no God, then no Satan, then no supernatural or spiritual powers.

They are silent about the native cohorts of Ogun, Osun, Ifa, Amadioha, etc.

Their major aim is to fight the GOD OF THE CHRISTIAN. To make people live without Jesus as their saviour and later plunge them into occultism.

We have all seen your tricks.

undecided

The op just went over your head abi?

Guy, atheists do not believe in dieties or gods. Satan, yaweh or ogun. Get that through your thick skull!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by winner01(m): 3:04pm On Oct 03, 2016
JackBizzle:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4309232_josemujicabadgut_jpeg9723f525f1f8f3143ea819c095d6970f
This is a nice thread full of repititions, I wish I could reply the whole thing but ill probably edit this post later.
As for government imposed atheism, seems to me like what most atheists would do in their quest to see religion vanish forever, should they get to power.

I gave a list of 97% of the atheist presidents who have ever existed, when you debunk that, then we may see this point as valid.

https://www.nairaland.com/3232176/atheist-presidents-heads-state-quick

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:07pm On Oct 03, 2016
JackBizzle:

Yes, state or forced atheism came as an integral part of communism but then, not all atheists are communists. Atheism is not a political party or a political doctrine. In fact, communism is more anti-religion or anti-theist than atheist since it kills religious people. Atheism is an empty disbelief and therefore it cannot be a motive for murder or politics. There have been many atheist presidents who have never been tyrants or murderers. In fact, the best president of recent times is an atheist- Jose Mujica of Uruguay

Uruguay shifted to a democratic system in 2009 before Jose was elected in 2010 . Jose Mujica is not a communist leader but a democratic one but the communist leaders who killed did so because of atheism .

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by Deicide: 3:33pm On Oct 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Uruguay shifted to a democratic system in 2009 before Jose was elected in 2010 . Jose Mujica is not a communist leader but a democratic one but the communist leaders who killed did so because of atheism
How? and pls don't gimme any stupid link to click i want u to explain it here the problem is that when u are corrected u would keep on making the same assumption on and on....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Mitchell Obama Really A Man? / A Nairalander Realeases His First Song - Olorun Ikore (lord Of The Harvest) / Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.