Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,510 members, 7,801,349 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob (2978 Views)

What Could Have Killed This Chicken & How Would The Chicks Survive? (Photo) / CRUSHED NOODLES FOR Fishes And poultry / The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by celestialAgent(m): 1:49pm On Oct 03, 2016
This is most channeled at experienced fish breeders on here.

To begin, I have substantial hatchery facilities, ranging from vats to concrete tanks to the normal ponds. My water source is sectioned (borehole and well at different section). My vats are indoor, my tanks are outdoor, my ponds and just there as normal ponds. My parent fish are standards (2years+).

Despite all that, I hardly have fishes that survive to reach fingerlings talk less of juvenile. Sometime when I feel the need to stock my own pond, I strive to get fishes to stock due to low yield from my hatchery.

Overtime, I have noticed that my fishes begin to drop just when the are about to enter 3weeks - successful hatching has never been a problem, the survival had always been the issue. Sometime when I decide to transfer them to the concrete tank from the indoor hatchery, they still drop in the tank. Likewise when I decide to leave them inside, they grow very slowly and still drop a great deal.

Recently, I decided to change my routine from the norm and adjust the nursing culture, so I started washing the
Vats everyday hoping that maybe that will be the solution, yet they keep dropping. Although when I did the latter, the output increased a little but not as impressing.

It is quite frustrating as I feel like I am wasting the facilities I have and also to think about the money spent in acquiring the facilities is another thing...

Please, to the EXPERTS, kindly advice on known productive fish breeding culture.

Thanks you..
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by MAAF: 2:36pm On Oct 03, 2016
Apart from washing your vats regularly what is your water PH and temperature.
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by fm7070: 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2016
Do flowthrough, treat infection, check your feed, and water ph levej
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by infotainment(m): 3:47pm On Oct 03, 2016
celestialAgent:
This is most channeled at experienced fish breeders on here.

To begin, I have substantial hatchery facilities, ranging from vats to concrete tanks to the normal ponds. My water source is sectioned (borehole and well at different section). My vats are indoor, my tanks are outdoor, my ponds and just there as normal ponds. My parent fish are standards (2years+).

Despite all that, I hardly have fishes that survive to reach fingerlings talk less of juvenile. Sometime when I feel the need to stock my own pond, I strive to get fishes to stock due to low yield from my hatchery.

Overtime, I have noticed that my fishes begin to drop just when the are about to enter 3weeks - successful hatching has never been a problem, the survival had always been the issue. Sometime when I decide to transfer them to the concrete tank from the indoor hatchery, they still drop in the tank. Likewise when I decide to leave them inside, they grow very slowly and still drop a great deal.

Recently, I decided to change my routine from the norm and adjust the nursing culture, so I started washing the
Vats everyday hoping that maybe that will be the solution, yet they keep dropping. Although when I did the latter, the output increased a little but not as impressing.

It is quite frustrating as I feel like I am wasting the facilities I have and also to think about the money spent in acquiring the facilities is another thing...

Please, to the EXPERTS, kindly advice on known productive fish breeding culture.

Thanks you..

visit this thread and read through for ur answers

https://www.nairaland.com/1240657/hidden-truths-catfish-business

1 Like

Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by zazua: 4:24pm On Oct 03, 2016
Do flow tru but mak sure dat u chk ur pH. Before using broodstock mak sure u disinfect for atleast 10hrs in 100g of Otc per 100liters of water
. After d hatch and d hav eaten Artemia, use Malachite green to dissolve in d water and leave for 6hrs before partially flushing half of it off. Do it wkly n no wahala again. Add fishvitamin n fishbiotic twice daily for 2days a week but not on days wt Malachite green in d water.

1 Like

Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by bishopkay: 9:42pm On Oct 03, 2016
People have mentioned Ph; it's very important you check that and correct it if inappropriate but from what you have described, they start dropping from two weeks. So ph might not be the problem cos if PH were, they might either not hatch out, or die within a week.
Second suspect: Your parent stock, are they same family or different families? If same family line, that would be inbreeding and in bred fish hardly survive or have a very high mortally rate. Happened to me once.
Answer these questions first then we can trouble shoot more
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by youngzoologist: 10:19pm On Oct 03, 2016
My view too is that it is not pH issue cos they hatched and survived till at least three weeks.....my question is how do you manage your fries in your hatchery....this is another major area of concerns....like they've said....flow through....but it isn't enough cos Artemis settles down at the bottom of the pond and fries tends to hide underneath it....how often do you siphon your feed sediment.... The floor of your hatchery must be clean and freed of feed waste.....
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by msogunro: 2:26am On Oct 04, 2016
I believe the issue is with your water. Check PH, amonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

How many times do you move your fish before they reach the 3 week (death) mark?

I ask because if you move them or replace the water, it could shock them because the levels are completely different than what they were in.

How often do you feed the fry? They've got to be well fed.
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by toyomars(m): 12:48am On Oct 11, 2016
Please contact this guy for your catfish/fish smoking chamber, he is good. Follow the http:// www.nairaland.com/3113347/doctor-ovens-stoves
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by celestialAgent(m): 6:24am On Oct 12, 2016
MAAF:
Apart from washing your vats regularly what is your water PH and temperature.
Have never really tested the temperature, but the water temp seem to fluntuate. My ph is 6.2 from the bordhole and 6.3 from the well

fm7070:
Do flowthrough, treat infection, check your feed, and water ph levej
Can u suggest best ways to treat infection? And the standard ph leven based on practice and not theory, thanks

zazua:
Do flow tru but mak sure dat u chk ur pH. Before using broodstock mak sure u disinfect for atleast 10hrs in 100g of Otc per 100liters of water
. After d hatch and d hav eaten Artemia, use Malachite green to dissolve in d water and leave for 6hrs before partially flushing half of it off. Do it wkly n no wahala again. Add fishvitamin n fishbiotic twice daily for 2days a week but not on days wt Malachite green in d water.
Presently I don't use Artemia. I stopped using it since I make less than the cost of the feed. I use the imported fish now.

Did u suggest treating the broodstock to aid hatching, it yes, hatching has never been a problem, they hatch in millions. It's their survival is mass that flops.

Pls where can I get the Malachite green? What does it cost? And is it applicable to indoor breeding or outdoor?

My ph is 6.2 from the bordhole and 6.3 from the well. Could you suggest the standard ph based on practice?

Also what is your idea about psiphoning or the vats? Also about washing the vats?

Thank you for your response
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by celestialAgent(m): 6:35am On Oct 12, 2016
bishopkay:
People have mentioned Ph; it's very important you check that and correct it if inappropriate but from what you have described, they start dropping from two weeks. So ph might not be the problem cos if PH were, they might either not hatch out, or die within a week.
Second suspect: Your parent stock, are they same family or different families? If same family line, that would be inbreeding and in bred fish hardly survive or have a very high mortally rate. Happened to me once.
Answer these questions first then we can trouble shoot more
Can you pls suggest a standard PH for fish breeding?

My parent stock varies. Infact I do mixed breeding: Clarias and Hetero with broodstocks of various species.

What other culture would you suggest in introduce?

What is your idea about washing vats and psiphoning?
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by celestialAgent(m): 6:48am On Oct 12, 2016
youngzoologist:
My view too is that it is not pH issue cos they hatched and survived till at least three weeks.....my question is how do you manage your fries in your hatchery....this is another major area of concerns....like they've said....flow through....but it isn't enough cos Artemis settles down at the bottom of the pond and fries tends to hide underneath it....how often do you siphon your feed sediment.... The floor of your hatchery must be clean and freed of feed waste.....
I make sure to psiphon every day. I recently brought in the idea of washing my vats everyday with the fishes inside and sometimes I bring them out and wash then put then back. Yet all to no avail.

I really do not know where I'm getting it wrong…
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by celestialAgent(m): 7:00am On Oct 12, 2016
msogunro:
I believe the issue is with your water. Check PH, amonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

How many times do you move your fish before they reach the 3 week (death) mark?

I ask because if you move them or replace the water, it could shock them because the levels are completely different than what they were in.

How often do you feed the fry? They've got to be well fed.
I have stopped all factors that could influence shock. I now psiphon the waste once a day and that's it.

I feed them twice.

I think the water is to be blamed here But how do I control it??
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by bishopkay: 9:30am On Oct 12, 2016
celestialAgent:
Can you pls suggest a standard PH for fish breeding?

My parent stock varies. Infact I do mixed breeding: Clarias and Hetero with broodstocks of various species.

What other culture would you suggest in introduce?

What is your idea about washing vats and psiphoning?

Best ph for breeding is 7.0. 6.5-7.5 generally should work.
Wash the breeding tanks with 10% formalin.
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by msogunro: 1:59pm On Oct 12, 2016
celestialAgent:
I have stopped all factors that could influence shock. I now psiphon the waste once a day and that's it.

I feed them twice.

I think the water is to be blamed here But how do I control it??

Have you performed any tests? Actions depend on the results

You mentioned you wash your vats. What are you washing it with?

How big is your tank and how many fish are in it?
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by zazua: 4:00pm On Oct 12, 2016
Bros.. Since u wash ur Tanks regularly, mak sure u disinfect with salt solution. Secondly u can gt Malachite green. D one liter is already diluted but u will need to dilute it wt one liter of freshwater again. Thirdly after washing d tank, pour 1liter of Malachite green into d tank and leave for 8hrs and afterwards u do a waterflow tru system at half the rate of previous waterspeed... Ds will cause d strength of Malachite green to reduce within d next 16hrs.u shld make sure in ur tank dat u always dissolve 4tablespoonful of salt in every 1000liters of water(gp tank). Use aquaceryl but Otc is beta twice daily for twice a week in there feed on alternate days mixed wt vitamins. If you use shakeoff den follow directions on d back. (can't say much for it bc am yet to use it and compare).. Pls disinfect ur broodstock before stripping and Pls Pls Pls NEVA NEVA Eva buy male n female from the same farmer bc chance of inbreeding is too too high. Keep me posted.
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by OXYZ: 5:32pm On Oct 12, 2016
Kukuma go and construct recycling system though a bit expensive but fish tend to survive in large quantity in it.You can as well incorporate the use of probiotic into your culture system to combat the incidence of disease and infection.If you have the money why dont go for something that works?
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by zazua: 8:24am On Oct 13, 2016
Probiotics like aquapro. If u do dat u will stunt ur fish especially if you don't use vitamin. More noticeable in juveniles stages etc
Re: My Fishes Hardly Survive - Please Help Fish Breeders #sob by Ttalk: 10:25pm On Oct 18, 2016
What could be the cause of mortality beginning from the sixth day after hatching

(1) (Reply)

Catfish Hatchery / Late Planting Of Cucumber In A Swampy Land (AKURO) / Currently Hiring Farm Managers 150-250k/month -APPLICATION CLOSED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.