Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,006 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? (35898 Views)

Poll: Proud to be a citizen of Nigeria?

Yes: 80% (111 votes)
No: 19% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? / Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by kaylala(m): 9:08pm On Jan 15, 2006
Your poor country needs you wink
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Rolly: 2:18am On Feb 01, 2006
i think i got here late buy anyways

Omo naija ni mi to the core!!!!

anywhere i go, i wear a braclet that says"nigeria" and it green-white-green, i use my beads necklace, ppl ask me "is that from africa?" and i say"yes from nigeria, i'm a nigerian"

ppl that act like they are not nigerians shld be hung!!!!
they can disown the country but as for me o i love nigeria and i'll continue to say that forever.

NIGERIA IS THE BEST LAND GBAO!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by papermoon(f): 3:46pm On Feb 04, 2006
i wouldnt wanna be anything other than a nigerian.i am extremely multiracial(thanks to my mum)she is part cuban/irish and greek/japanese.but my dad OSHUN NINJA all the way..even though i have oriental eyes and very fair skin( .i still represent
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by papermoon(f): 3:56pm On Feb 04, 2006
i wouldnt wanna be anything other than a nigerian.i am extremely multiracial(thanks to my mum)she is part cuban/irish and greek/japanese.but my dad is an OSHUN NINJA all the way..even though i have oriental eyes and very fair skin( .i still represent for naija every time)

i feel all what some have said..having lived in different countries all my life,i have come across classic cases of OMO SONU(lost kids)i remember when i was in boarding school in switzerland and i was in the same room with this half european half youruba girl with an ijinle name like IDERA..and i walked up to her and said "hello...you are nigerian arent you?the foolis girl said..with her nose upturned..erm no..im european..my dad is the african..and i quote on my life she said"the only africans i know are aggressive"..i was like WHAT?THAT INCLUDES YOUR DAD I GUESS?lets just say things were a bit frosty from then on.that was coming from a 13 year old girl..

its interesting how some people just feel because i am multiracial,i should be happy i have some sort of "other" escape from my africanness...my close-minded cousins have told me..."oh you so lucky d..at least you look like one of us.."and im like HELLOO..

i am soooo proud of my full african lips,my button nose,this hips that only a NAIJA chik can have,and that attitude in nigerians that only nigerians can understand(that i can take on the world attitude..) and not to mention my FULL MASS OF CURLY HAIR...these are things that remind me of who i am where im coming from..these are things my daddy left in me..my roots if i dare call it that....

i might hold an european passport but i still got my naija one..and its strictly for convenience purposes..

and if anyone asks me if im proud to be a nigerian...i say in my best warri imitation accent...I WANNA PROUD DIE??
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Outkast(f): 3:59pm On Feb 04, 2006
you go girl!
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by virozuru(f): 9:01pm On Feb 04, 2006
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by debanjee(m): 9:17pm On Feb 04, 2006
g
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by vikki(f): 6:58am On Feb 05, 2006
Yes, I am proud to be Nigerian... but I WAS born here in America, which would also make me an AMERICAN.
Yet, I have never deined that I am Nigerian... I'm proud of my heritage! I don't understand why anyone would claim they weren't Nigerian because they were born here.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by papermoon(f): 3:02pm On Feb 05, 2006
@debanjee..thanks..
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by nicole16: 7:25pm On Feb 06, 2006
this message is for kellorah tell the jamaican girl in your class that said that she does not want to know where in africa she is from because she might get embarassed tell her she would have come from ghana or serri leone
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Bisanke(f): 5:46am On Feb 18, 2006
I am so proud 2 b a Nigerian even though people can't believe i'm one.  And if i even had a choice  2 be another culture i would never change b cause i love what i am. smiley

Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by virozuru(f): 11:16pm On Feb 18, 2006
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by cheriese: 5:34pm On Feb 21, 2006
Since I am not Nigerian I am unable to say that I am proud to be one…but I am Jamaican and yes of course I am proud of my heritage. In CANADA where I am from there are many different cultures and Nigerians or Ghanaians are among them. I am presently dating a young man that is from Ghana and there is not one day that passes that he has ever said that he wishes that he was anything but Ghanaian even after being in this country for many years. Others that I have talked to or have introduced themselves to me have never told me such a thing….I guess that is it different in Canada then it is in the states cause most people who come here are proud of who they are…only there is always going to be that one person that wants to be something that they are not…and to them I say GOOD LUCK cause keeping up with lies or being something that you arent isn’t easy to keep up after awhile…
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by chinani(f): 11:20am On Feb 23, 2006
i am very proud to be nigerian! i jump out of my skin whenever someone tries to act and front like they're NOT nigerian. it also makes me embarrassed, not of nigeria, but of them.

there was this guy at my Uni who was oh-so-popular and where i attend (in the states) there's LOADS of white and some latino ppl . anyhow all the oyinbo ladies that he was MR EVERYTHING and so did the black americans so he would pretend to be black! he wasnt dark (and he wasnt light either if you know what i mean) and so he'd say things like "yea i have Indian in my family". he wouldnt even tell ppl how to pronounce his last name, it was a disgrace!!! after all his foolishness he couldnt look the African women on campus in the eye.

but the problem is so pervasive! a friend of his (surprise!) is Ethopian but only asnswers to his Americanized name and the fact that English is NOT is first language and tht he was born in Asmara as a scandalous secret. so, shhh!
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by datgurl: 10:15pm On Mar 05, 2006
THANK YOU! Mad people at my school are Nigerian but they claim to be JAMAICAN. People always ask me, if I'm Jamaican, all i say is HELL NO! I'm proud to be Nigerian. You see I was born in this place they call America, but my parents are both from Nigeria. I hate when in class we have discussions about Africa in class people talk about it like all African people are poor, ugly, and stupid. OMG i flip out when people make any kind of funny or rude comment about Africa. I cannot tell you how many fights I got into on that topic. It just pisses me off how ignorant and racist Americans can be. Most of my cousins on my parents side came to live here to go to college. One day my this stupid  white girl asked one of my cousins, "How did you learn to speak English so fast?" It's just the ignorance of people in America that pisses me off. Oh and htis one time I was at my cousin's house and these white people were installing her satellite dish. And my other cousin (I have A LOT of cousins) was talkiing about TV in Nigeria and then this foolish white man asked him, "You have T.V. in Africa?" These white Americans are so stupid!!! angry Also one time in class my teacher said Africa has the most beautiful woman  in the world. The whole class erupted in laughter and people were making weird faces and weird noises. I just raised my hand quietly and cussed all of them out! The whole class was so quiet. I always tell people I'm proud to be a Nigerian and if you have a problem with that, you can kiss my NIGERIAN ass!!!  kiss kiss kiss
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Outkast(f): 2:39am On Mar 06, 2006
girl, I feel like I was reading my own post where in the U.S are you and why do they always have to say Jamaica?
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by babymine(f): 8:57am On Mar 08, 2006
I'm I proud to be a Nigerian? Well, sometimes! cheesy
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by chukwunedu(m): 3:30pm On Mar 10, 2006
tell me, wat part of nigeria are u frm?
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by mamaput(f): 9:04am On Mar 13, 2006
I live in Germany too , someone was saying the Nigerians here say the are from the states?
this is a lie the reserve for German girls because German girls are into Americans.
Well am mixed if people ask me were i come from i say Nigeria . I don't say am mixed.
But some ask more questions why am not that dark and only then do i tell them that my mum was German.
I was born in Nigeria and i was there till i was 20(something).
But its the Nigerians here that tell me am not (what do they call it)Pure Nigerian.
Nigerians have a very bad reputation in germany more than the "Bushman" reputation , the think every Nigerian is a drugdealer etc etc.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by mamaput(f): 10:09am On Mar 13, 2006
I hope it works thats my first born she tells everyone she is a nigerian.

Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Z4M4eva(f): 10:10am On Mar 13, 2006
She's pretty.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Seun(m): 10:17am On Mar 13, 2006
Is she single, and looking for a handsome man like me? cheesy
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by mamaput(f): 10:43am On Mar 13, 2006
Thank you.
I just wanted to show that there are people that are proud to be Nigerians even if they don't look it.
she has never been to Nigeria.
She also has fights in Class even with teachers when it comes to stupid Nigerian topics (elephants ,lions etc)
For her exam she wanted to cook Nigerian dish , the Teacher wanted her to decorate the table with elephants and stuff.She told her Nigeria is not like that, But the teacher said thats what people want to see.
It was for an exam so she did it the way the teacher wanted even dressed African to school on that day to present her food.
And all were happy (apart from my daughter).
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Z4M4eva(f): 10:46am On Mar 13, 2006
Aww.People can be so ignorant and dumb!
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Seun(m): 10:49am On Mar 13, 2006
Hehe. For a school project I think it's innapropriate to distort reality to please "people". it's not as if they are primarily trying to please the audience to make money, right?
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by mamaput(f): 2:46pm On Mar 13, 2006
right!!!!!
What I find so funny it was a group Project 3 girls from different countries that cooked their country dish but she was the only one in her group that made a 1 (A) and i think its just because of the dress that made her get a better note than the other two .
She only cooked rice and stew and strictly speaking rice cannot be counted as a Nigerian dish.

By the way Senu the way she is now i have put one house on her head if she goes to university , i will make it two.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by mamaput(f): 2:48pm On Mar 13, 2006
right!!!!!
What I find so funny it was a group Project 3 girls from different countries that cooked their country dish but she was the only one in her group that made a 1 (A) and i think its just because of the dress that made her get a better note than the other two .
She only cooked rice and stew and strictly speaking rice cannot be counted as a Nigerian dish.

By the way Senu the way she is now i have put one house on her head if she goes to university , i will make it two.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Mazi(m): 10:18am On Mar 14, 2006
Definitely!

Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by senator100(m): 5:14pm On Mar 16, 2006
Lets look at itm from the point of view of service.To be quite frank with you .i am proud to be born in nigeria,and proud to be in naija at the moment but I AM NOT PROUD to be associated with the wrongs of nigeria.
1I am not proud to be a citizen of the 4th most corrupt country in the world
2.i am not proud to be in acountry where her people from the niger-delta are kidnapping foreign hostages(to the extent that 1 sufferd acute diabetes) as if it is d answer to d problem
3.I am not proud to be from acountry where the rule of law is not maintained and scientific customs are yet to be consumated

pls lets call a a spade a spade.pride is different frm patriotism, I am 100% patriotic but not 100% proud
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by kellorah: 11:54pm On Mar 19, 2006
i'm proud to be nigerian, even though i'm mixed. when people ask me where i'm from, i start by saying i was born in nigeria to a nigerian mom and english dad.

i love 9ja
i love P-square, they sure do rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by afrobeat: 8:56pm On Mar 20, 2006
A plate of Dodo= 150 Naira
shell earrings from bar-beach= 300Naira
Home Movie=450 Naira

Being a Nigerian = PRICELESS

I AM PROUD TO BE NIGERIAN
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Outkast(f): 12:29am On Mar 21, 2006
@afrobeat, that was genius lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Wears Igwe Attire (Photos) / Photos From 2021 Osun Osogbo Festival / All Ile-ife Women Restricted Indoors Tonight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.