Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

My Life As A Teacher. - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Life As A Teacher. (52615 Views)

My Life As A Teacher. / Why Did You Become A Teacher / How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 2:12pm On Dec 20, 2017
MumJJJ:

Thanks a lot.
I actually tried it now. He doesn't like eating, the only food he takes well now is fried egg and potato. So he was trying to open the window net, I told him to stop he ignored me. I said " I won't fry egg and potato for you again" immediately, he left the net and came closer smiling and saying mommy fry egg. Lol

The boy has been using your head to cause mischief. grin. It is always the case with first boy and mommy as per mommy's boy and then first girl and daddy as per daddy's girl.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by rezzy: 2:24pm On Dec 21, 2017
MumJJJ:

Thanks Sis, I read your diary last night.
My son is exactly kaka's twin. I taught I was in this alone. It is well with us.

Amen
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by salisuammy(f): 6:40pm On Dec 26, 2017
@Good evening zaynie, please I intend to go into the teaching profession but I am too lazy and scared of lesson note.
zaynie and ahnie please I need your input on How you managed especially as a mother with my own children
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 6:19pm On Dec 27, 2017
salisuammy:
@Good evening zaynie, please I intend to go into the teaching profession but I am too lazy and scared of lesson note.
zaynie and ahnie please I need your input on How you managed especially as a mother with my own children

Lesson note is small na.....
The only tough time is when you're drafting the template for the first year, subsequently you just change dates if you'll be treating the same subjects and topics.
Teaching gives you the most time to be a mom especially if you aren't into private lessons.
It also gives you the skills to handle dome dicey situations.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by salisuammy(f): 6:27pm On Dec 27, 2017
zaynie:

Lesson note is small na.....
The only tough time is when you're drafting the template for the first year, subsequently you just change dates if you'll be treating the same subjects and topics.
Teaching gives you the most time to be a mom especially if you aren't into private lessons.
It also gives you the skills to handle dome dicey situations.
God bless you plenty plenty beautiful and soon to be lekpa mummy Moyo.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 6:35pm On Dec 27, 2017
salisuammy:

God bless you plenty plenty beautiful and soon to be lekpa mummy Moyo.

Why are you shading me cry

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by salisuammy(f): 6:39pm On Dec 27, 2017
zaynie:

Why are you shading me cry
I dey craze? Come and see my tommy 2 days after Christmas na. we dey the same category oo. Thanks again

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 6:43pm On Dec 27, 2017
salisuammy:

I dey craze? Come and see my tommy 2 days after Christmas na. we dey the same category oo. Thanks again

Lol cheesy
2018 is the year......

Hopefully

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by salisuammy(f): 6:46pm On Dec 27, 2017
zaynie:

Lol cheesy 2018 is the year......

Hopefully
Amen to 65kg

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 1:50pm On Jan 04, 2018
How did I miss this thread..? cheesy
Zaynie, I'm also a teacher and I'm dreading January 8th, our resumption date. Though, I miss my students. embarassed

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2018
makydebbie:
How did I miss this thread..? cheesy
Zaynie, I'm also a teacher and I'm dreading January 8th, our resumption date. Though, I miss my students. embarassed

Lol.
This thread from forever cheesy

I actually can't wait to get back into a classroom

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 3:46pm On Jan 04, 2018
zaynie:

Lol.

Lol, I've missed them. cheesy

I know who to meet when I've issues concerning my occupation, when the need arises as an amateur. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 4:03pm On Jan 04, 2018
makydebbie:
Lol, I've missed them. cheesy

I know who to meet when I've issues concerning my occupation, when the need arises as an amateur. smiley

I'm a just a mention away wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zicoraads: 4:31pm On Jan 04, 2018
I teach too. I teach some 12-16 year olds. Lovely, lovelies. cheesy cheesy

Have attended tons of seminars, so I sometimes deliver them myself.

Erm, can we post ideas and pictures of our students and classrooms? Someone, somewhere may find them useful. Sometimes, the challenges you are facing in the classroom, someone else has encountered them and was able to solve them. So it'll be easy to have those ideas readily available for use here.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 4:42pm On Jan 04, 2018
zicoraads:
I teach too. I teach some 12-16 year olds. Lovely, lovelies. cheesy cheesy

Have attended tons of seminars, so I sometimes deliver them myself.

Erm, can we post ideas and pictures of our students and classrooms? Someone, somewhere may find them useful. Sometimes, the challenges you are facing in the classroom, someone else has encountered them and was able to solve them. So it'll be easy to have those ideas readily available for use here.

Please go ahead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 6:34pm On Jan 04, 2018
zaynie:

I'm a just a mention away wink
Yes ma. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zicoraads: 4:30am On Jan 07, 2018
Dear teachers,

The term is about to commence, please note that in every 10pupils in your classroom, 1 is an auditory learner, 6 are visual learners and the remaining 3 are kinesthetic.

Auditory learners understand easily by listening, they don't require pictures to retain the knowledge being transmitted.

Visual learners otherwise called sight learners thrive well when the teacher uses pictures and videos to deliver lessons.

Kinesthetic learners are "lets-do-the-talk" learners. They grab easily when they're engaged in practicals, experiments, role playing etc.

Please do not use the one size fits all approach this year.

Remember, if you teach kids of today the way you were taught yesterday, you're depriving them of their tomorrow.

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by enque(f): 10:14am On Jan 07, 2018
zicoraads:
Dear teachers,

The term is about to commence, please note that in every 10pupils in your classroom, 1 is an auditory learner, 6 are visual learners and the remaining 3 are kinesthetic.

Auditory learners understand easily by listening, they don't require pictures to retain the knowledge being transmitted.

Visual learners otherwise called sight learners thrive well when the teacher uses pictures and videos to deliver lessons.

Kinesthetic learners are "lets-do-the-talk" learners. They grab easily when they're engaged in practicals, experiments, role playing etc.

Remember, if you teach kids of today the way you were taught yesterday, you're depriving them of their tomorrow.

I'm not a teacher, but I like this.
Makes a whole lot of sense

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by feddy27: 9:33am On Jan 31, 2018
zicoraads:
Dear teachers,

beautiful ! thanks for this
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by feddy27: 9:34am On Jan 31, 2018
zaynie:

Lol.

Zaynie!!! it's good to know you are back to the classroom smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 12:53pm On Jan 31, 2018
feddy27:

Zaynie!!! it's good to know you are back to the classroom smiley smiley smiley

Thanks maami. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 11:53pm On Feb 19, 2018
Hello Zaynie, how are you? Please I need your opinion on the following as a teacher and parent:
1. teachers giving preferential treatment to kids whose parents are always giving them gifts

2. Showing off such kids during the school social gatherings

In my Kids' school, I noticed that certain kids are always given the opportunity to present during social gatherings (including the ones that are shy) and I made it known to a parent and she said : madam you no dey drive big car Or you no dey ssettle the teachers well.

Must I "give" to the teachers for them to notice my kids?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 7:43am On Feb 20, 2018
obioji:
Hello Zaynie, how are you? Please I need your opinion on the following as a teacher and parent:
1. teachers giving preferential treatment to kids whose parents are always giving them gifts

In my Kids' school, I noticed that certain kids are always given the opportunity to present during social gatherings (including the ones that are shy) and I made it known to a parent and she said : madam you no dey drive big car Or you no dey ssettle the teachers well.

Personally for me, I don't do that.
In fact I am very careful to not do it mainly so that the giving parent won't think she has bought me.

That said, bring it to the Head teacher's attention, not the teacher but the head.
Ask why your child has never been allowed to go on stage. Make it an emotional blackmail something cos trust me the line of parents that want their kids on stage is pretty long.
Also make a promise to always help with any material needed to do the matter, we don't allow some kids cos their parents disappoint on a constant level. Either the child doesn't get the costume or misses school on the day of presentation or they keep losing the material for the presentation. You need to be active with it and make sure if your child is given the opportunity he/she doesn't disappoint.

And yes, you can put it to the head teacher that must I bribe you people before you involve my child?
Sometimes subtlety does nothing and you must be blunt to get your point across.
Good luck. smiley

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 8:20am On Feb 20, 2018
zaynie:

Personally for me, I don't do that.
In fact I am very careful to not do it mainly so that the giving parent won't think she has bought me.

That said, bring it to the Head teacher's attention, not the teacher but the head.
Ask why your child has never been allowed to go on stage. Make it an emotional blackmail something cos trust me the line of parents that want their kids on stage is pretty long.
Also make a promise to always help with any material needed to do the matter, we don't allow some kids cos their parents disappoint on a constant level. Either the child doesn't get the costume or misses school on the day of presentation or they keep losing the material for the presentation. You need to be active with it and make sure if your child is given the opportunity he/she doesn't disappoint.

And yes, you can put it to the head teacher that must I bribe you people before you involve my child?
Sometimes subtlety does nothing and you must be blunt to get your point across.
Good luck. smiley

Thanks so much Zaynie.

I have reported the issue to the school proprietress on three occasions and she did not do anything about it. I have made up my mind not to mention it again.

The teachers usually give the kids the impression that they are part of the group presenting but when the D day comes, they are totally ignored for no good reason. Not because they are not having the right costume or bold.

I am not the only one complaining. Any time, there is an event in the school, the school whatsapp Admin will only upload pictures and videos of these certain kids ignoring the rest. Usually when this happens, unhappy parents tend to exist the school whatsapp group.

I feel so bad that the school proprietress is not doing anything about it. I do not want my kids to have the impression that they are not good enough.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 9:57am On Feb 20, 2018
obioji:

This is common in many of these private schools. My son suffered from this also. He was very good in Maths but was never selected for any maths competition. Being the very quiet one, it was almost affecting him psychologically as he believed he was better than those that were being selected. When he told me that the boy that was always being selected whom he believed he was better than was going to take a particular catholic secondary school entrance exam, i also took the form for him even though that was not the catholic secondary school i wanted him to go to. I told him that iam taking the form for him to prove to me that he was better by beating him in the common entrance. He beat the boy in the common entrance. My son has continuously been representing his secondary school in every maths competition his school enters into. Him and one other boy are always beating each other in maths. If he beats the boy in one term, the boy comes back charging in the second term and beats him and the cycle continues. This has been ongoing since JSS1. So none of them feels cheated or favoured.

So, madam, just try to counsel your kid and try to look for a secondary school where this is not rampant when the child is about to enter secondary.

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 12:26pm On Feb 20, 2018
NL1960:

This is common in many of these private schools. My son suffered from this also. He was very good in Maths but was never selected for any maths competition. Being the very quiet one, it was almost affecting him psychologically as he believed he was better than those that were being selected. When he told me that the boy that was always being selected whom he believed he was better than was going to take a particular catholic secondary school entrance exam, i also took the form for him even though that was not the catholic secondary school i wanted him to go to. I told him that iam taking the form for him to prove to me that he was better by beating him in the common entrance. He beat the boy in the common entrance. My son has continuously been representing his secondary school in every maths competition his school enters into. Him and one other boy are always beating each other in maths. If he beats the boy in one term, the boy comes back charging in the second term and beats him and the cycle continues. This has been ongoing since JSS1. So none of them feels cheated or favoured.

So, madam, just try to counsel your kid and try to look for a secondary school where this is not rampant when the child is about to enter secondary.

Thanks. My kids are in Nursery .
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 4:22pm On Feb 20, 2018
obioji:

Thanks so much Zaynie.

I have reported the issue to the school proprietress on three occasions and she did not do anything about it. I have made up my mind not to mention it again.

The teachers usually give the kids the impression that they are part of the group presenting but when the D day comes, they are totally ignored for no good reason. Not because they are not having the right costume or bold.

I am not the only one complaining. Any time, there is an event in the school, the school whatsapp Admin will only upload pictures and videos of these certain kids ignoring the rest. Usually when this happens, unhappy parents tend to exist the school whatsapp group.

I feel so bad that the school proprietress is not doing anything about it. I do not want my kids to have the impression that they are not good enough.

Then its time to go radical.
Create another WhatsApp group.
Contact the other aggrieved parents.
You all will have to create time and make sure you are at the next PTA, again express your displeasure.
If nothing is done, you all as a group should make an attempt to withdraw your kids on the same day. Fix a day and do it together.
If 20 parents with like 30 kids in between them should withdraw, the proprietress knows what she would be missing.
Abi una no dey pay school fees?

In my previous school, these presentations are actually for learning purposes. Every week the children present with focus on the shy children. By the 13th week everyone has had a turn already. At least each child would have presented twice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 8:34pm On Feb 20, 2018
zaynie:

Then its time to go radical.

Abi una no dey pay school fees?

Action lady cheesy

We dey pay school fees ooo.

I spoke to an elderly teacher in the school about the issue today and she said she is in support of my kids not participating in the school social activities in order to protect them from "evil persons" shocked

I want my kids to have an awesome time at school
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 6:40am On Feb 21, 2018
obioji:

Action lady cheesy

I spoke to an elderly teacher in the school about the issue today and she said she is in support of my kids not participating in the school social activities in order to protect them from "evil persons" shocked

Which kain mentality is that? cheesy
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 9:36am On Feb 21, 2018
obioji:

Action lady cheesy

Time to change school then.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 9:44pm On Feb 22, 2018
NL1960:

Time to change school then.

cheesy
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by hapheey007(f): 7:18pm On Feb 23, 2018
I'm a Primary 3 teacher, how do I help my pupils to read. The problem is a foundational problem. I have tried the Jolly phonics with them, now they know the sounds but can't use it when spelling.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

I Am A Virgin And My Boss Wants To Have Sex With Me / KPMG: My Temp Experience / Salary Structure In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.