Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,306 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) (88816 Views)

Nigeria VS Gambia: Women's Cup Of Nations Qualifiers - 1 - 0 (Full-Time) / Algeria Vs Nigeria: FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 1 (Full Time) / Nigeria Vs Algeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers 3 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 5:56am On Oct 06, 2016
techinfong:
What's the exact time pls?

1:30pm
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by gemale(m): 8:07am On Oct 06, 2016
foody:
I wish you guys the best. and pls bring the cup back home. Of course bring it back to Nigeria.
#ThatAwkwardMoment, when some girls act lyk dey understand football cos dey wnt 2 feel lyk 1 of d boys. Sweetheart, dey r nt playing 4 a cup yet. Dey r playing 2 qualify so dt dey can play 4 d cup 2 yrs 4rm nw.

2 Likes

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 9:19am On Oct 06, 2016
gemale:

#ThatAwkwardMoment, when some girls act lyk dey understand football cos dey wnt 2 feel lyk 1 of d boys. Sweetheart, dey r nt playing 4 a cup yet. Dey r playing 2 qualify so dt dey can play 4 d cup 2 yrs 4rm nw.

funny

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 9:25am On Oct 06, 2016
Nigeria's senior national team defeated Plateau United 3-0 in a friendly match played on Wednesday ahead of Sunday's 2018 World Cup qualifier match against Zambia in Ndola.

A brace from substitute Alex Iwobi plus Anderson Esiti strike handed Gernot Rohr's men a comprehensive victory over the Jos based side at the National Stadium, Abuja.

Esiti's strike in the 39th minute got the Super Eagles in front after Ahmed Musa's severally missed clear cut chances against his former side.

In the 57th minute, substitute Iwobi doubled the lead for the Rohr’s men thanks to the combined midfield brilliance of John Obi Mikel and Ogenyi Onazi.

The Gunners youngster added his second of the game after firing in from a close range encounter at the death to complete the rout.

Following the victory, Rohr's side will be much motivated as they intensify their preparation ahead of their date with the Chipolopolo.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/17252/super-eagles/2016/10/05/28204942/arsenals-iwobi-fires-super-eagles-past-plateau-united?ICID=HP_HN_HP_RI_1_3
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by kellycute(m): 1:34pm On Oct 06, 2016
3points na sure broker for us. Up naija
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 1:56pm On Oct 06, 2016
Zambia vs. Nigeria: A historical perspective

It is impossible to speak of the shared history between Zambia and Nigeria without harking to the final of the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations. In sprawling Tunis, on the coast of the Mediterranean, Emmanuel Amuneke struck twice to deliver Nigeria’s second continental title.

It is particularly poignant because of the backdrop, and not that of the city.

It should have been a meeting of two Golden Generations: Nigeria were on the up, and had built a team that, two decades on, remains a reference. Chipolopolo themselves had shot into the consciousness following the Olympic Games in Seoul six years prior, during which they thumped tournament favourites Italy 4-0 on their way to winning their group.

Instead, it was a reformed Zambian side, no thanks to the 1993 air tragedy which claimed the lives of 18 players, six of whom were part of that 1988 team. Catharsis would come eighteen years later, and in the most fitting of venues - Libreville, the last fuelling stop for that ill-fated Zambian Air Force plane.

While Zambia had been forced to watch on as the Super Eagles celebrated in 1994, Nigeria was conspicuous by her absence in 2012, tripped up by Guinea in the qualifying rounds. The Chipolopolo may have triumphed in the typically exhilarating fashion of the underdog, but a look back to an encounter two years earlier should have served fair warning.

The 2010 Nations Cup in Angola rounded out Egypt’s continental dominance over the latter half of the decade. Zambia, led by a little-known dapper Frenchman named Herve Renard, only made it as far as the last eight before going out on penalties. However, it was the manner in which they troubled their more star-studded Nigerian counterparts in that quarter final that caught the eye.

By the end, it was the Super Eagles hanging on for penalties, winded and wilting in the heat of a 120-minute long Zambian onslaught.

Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama pulled out all the stops, and was the hero of the shootout as Nigeria advanced, but the battle scars were evident in the semi-final, as a turgid and wheezing Nigeria team failed to rally after going behind to Ghana. They may have gone home early, but even then there was a sense of flexing, of coming together within the Chipolopolo setup.

Zambia would fittingly enjoy their next shootout rather more, upsetting perennial favourites Ivory Coast to hoist the continental trophy for the first time in their history.

A year on, the Super Eagles sprung a surprise of their own, winning the 2013 edition created to shift the timing of the Afcon from even to odd years.

Again, both sides met, this time in the group stage.

Current captain Mikel John Obi bobbled a penalty off target in the first half, before Emmanuel Emenike put Nigeria ahead. Zambia goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene then seized on a mistake by an errant Ogenyi Onazi to score the equaliser from the penalty spot in the 85th minute.

It was the second draw in a row for the Super Eagles, and marked a turning point in the tournament for Stephen Keshi’s side: they won every game after, conceding only twice more.

The decision of Caf to award a place at the 2013 Confederation Cup to the winner of the 2013 Afcon, rather than the 2012 edition, also added an undercurrent of friction between both nations.

Interestingly, considering the profile of both sides, the record in head-to-head encounters hardly embarrasses the Zambians. There have been 16 meetings between Nigeria and Zambia since 1973, with Nigeria winning six and drawing five. However, in competitive games, there is a clearer advantage, as Nigeria has won five of 12.

If this gives the impression that the Southern African side are often a hard nut to crack, that impression is certainly true.

One would have to go back 26 years for the last time Nigeria beat Zambia by a two-goal margin in a competitive match; indeed, Zambia may have won fewer games, but when they have it has tended to be emphatic. Twice in a one-year span in the early 80s, Zambia meted out three-goal thumpings, the latter coming at the 1982 Africa Cup of Nations, with Nigeria as defending champions!

With all this shared history between both nations, it is a wonder that this will be their first ever meeting in a qualifying series. Neither side was able to build on their surprise Afcon win, and have undergone significant upheaval since. Looked at that way, Sunday’s meeting in Ndola is the alignment of two dying stars.

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 4:12pm On Oct 06, 2016
Anderson Esiti could earn his second cap for Nigeria when they take on Zambia on Sunday after a strong showing in the middle against Plateau United in a test game at the Abuja National Stadium.

The power playind defensive midfielder was handed a recall by coach Gernot Rohr, after erstwhile managers Sunday Oliseh and Samson Siasia snubbed him in their squads after taking over from the man who gave him his debut late Stephen Keshi.

Esiti who moved to Belgian side Gent during this summer transfer window was the one bright spark for the Super Eagles in a dull first half display and, the 24 year old capped his performance with a goal.

In scoring the lone goal of the half. The former Estoril man snatched possession from a Plateau United midfielder, thanks to his strength before beating his marker with a cheeky lob.

He used his body strength to hold off two more markers before slotting the ball home with a finish, that will make a striker grin with envy.

Aside the goal he won 95% of his duels and was very strong in aerial battles, surprisingly his pass completion rate was also very impressive in the 45 minutes he lasted on the pitch.

Although he has a battle in his hands to displace Eddy Onazi who has over the years made the defensive midfield spot of the Super Eagles his sole preserve.

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by Icon79(m): 6:42pm On Oct 06, 2016
robosky02:

all the players cant be invited at the same time

he will have his turn

Good point. The only two players I wish they had invited were: Azubuike Okechukwu and Etebo. I thought they were gonna call on Etebo after the likes of Moses and Success bailed out. Hopefully next time. But I hope they get a result from this game though. We have to beat Zambia, home and away, if we hope to qualify out of this group.

I don't see us beating the likes of Algeria and Cameroun in their home grounds, so it might come down to who beats Zambia, home and away, and by how many goals to determine the group winners.

1 Like

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by Icon79(m): 6:46pm On Oct 06, 2016
And I hope that Esiti and/or even Ndidi should start ahead of Eddy Onazi. Ogeny has had a serious dip in form lately. I'd like him to start on the bench on this match. No sacred cows!

O pari
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 10:09pm On Oct 06, 2016
Icon79:

Good point....

I don't see us beating the likes of Algeria and Cameroun in their home grounds, so it might come down to who beats Zambia, home and away, and by how many goals to determine the group winners.

Zambia needs to be respected or else you'll be punished
mind you they are recent African champions
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 10:17pm On Oct 06, 2016
Kalaba to captain Zambia against Nigeria:

Wedson Nyirenda has stated that Rainford Kalaba will captain Zambia against the Super Eagles Nigeria this weekend.

The new Zambia coach said the midfielder from DR Congo club TP Mazembe will continue in the role that he has kept for the last twenty two months.

Kalaba has been captain since January, 2015 when he took over the role from defender Stopilla Sunzu who briefly held the position after Christopher Katongo was dropped from the team in October, 2014 by ex-coach Honour Janza.

“In the meantime we are maintaining Rainford Kalaba as our captain. We will maintain him,” Nyirenda said.

Meanwhile, Nyirenda said he is impressed with the camaraderie at the teams’ Ndola base especially with the arrival of overseas call-ups starting on Monday.

“I am happy with the way the boys are applying themselves in training, the morale in the team and the brotherhood on and off the pitch. We are looking set for better things,” Nyirenda said.

Zambia will host Nigeria on October 9 in the two sides’ opening 2018 World Cup Group B qualifier at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium in Ndola.

The match also will mark Nyirenda’s debut game in charge following his appointment as Zambia coach in mid-September when he replaced George Lwandamina.

http://www.supersport.com/football/zambia/news/161005/Kalaba_to_captain_Zambia_against_Nigeria

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by Unak78: 12:49am On Oct 07, 2016
Zambia has been very mediocre all year. You have to respect your opponents, but you must also take opportunities and Algeria (and Cameroon too) will not struggle against Zambia. Nigeria has struggled to score but they have defended well overall and haven't played their best players in my opinion (Iwobi & Iheanacho) nearly enough. We have yet to see those two on the pitch together in green and I feel that we're in for a treat if they manage to click right away. Both are in-form and extremely talented. This game will be very telling for how the qualifying campaign will go. If Iwobi and Iheanacho show the ability to unlock and take apart the Chipolopolo defense, Musa can recover his form and Ideye can contribute a little, Nigeria could be ready to surprise which puts them in good position for Algeria.
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by femi4: 4:56am On Oct 07, 2016
Victor Moses is always injured whenever we have away matches. I hope he stayed injured for Chelsea's next match.

1 Like

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 5:14am On Oct 07, 2016
femi4:
Victor Moses is always injured whenever we have away matches. I hope he stayed injured for Chelsea's next match.

some do it to avoid long travels grin
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 1:12pm On Oct 07, 2016
players to watch:

Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria will be desperate for their ‘New Era’ under Gernot Rohr to begin with victory over Zambia, and they need it to, with Algeria and Cameroon lying in wait in an ominous Group B. The German coach has placed his faith in young talents in order to pick the Super Eagles up off the group, but what Iheanacho lacks in years, he makes up for in raw talent. He has the talent to devastate Chipolopolo, and will be keen to set the tone for the West African giants’ campaign.

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by TheGuy5: 2:27pm On Oct 07, 2016
Don't be dissapointed if you just jumped to read this post due to the caption. You see, that's what your over dependence on certificates instead of skills can do. A well packaged Samsung or Lebanese, Nigerian or other nationals or company cellphones support office would send out adverts like this caption, and young people would rush in applications in millions. But some, in fact many in that group have the capacity to learn and set up a similar outlet, making multiples of that same amount they expect to be paid! Why? 1. There, the company would give him an identity tag for his role that may not be tagged "phone repairer". So he feels 'cool' working there even for 50k. 2. He conditions his expectations to a guaranteed price tag at the end of the month. 3. I don't just know ...really But you can make your own money! Train hard, work simple and smart! Become a smart Cellphone Technical support guru Skill is the capital you need! A book resource is yours to consult continuously; A seminar or workshop is time limited. Get this best trending book on Mobile phones and Tablets Repairs including how to get started. See reviews by readers in the site. Available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, eBay etc Or click link below. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9789534116?keywords=mobile%20phones%20and%20tablets%20repairs&pc_redir=T1&qid=1463153220&sr=8-8

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by Pavarotti: 4:26pm On Oct 07, 2016
No one should question Mikels commitment to the national team again.

The Guy is just so dedicated

Mikel : I Will Play Anywhere For Super Eagles

http://www.soccerassembly.com/mikel-i-will-play-anywhere-for-super-eagles/

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by khattab02: 4:59pm On Oct 07, 2016
femi4:
grin grin grin

see wicked prayer!

Hehehehe
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by khattab02: 5:05pm On Oct 07, 2016
Hmmmm........ The match is being played in Ndola. I hope it is not that pitch that looked like where potatoes are harvested that they used against Kenya in their last qualify??

That pitch eh??
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by gbens2000(m): 5:25pm On Oct 07, 2016
khattab02:
Hmmmm........ The match is being played in Ndola. I hope it is not that pitch that looked like where potatoes are harvest that the used against Kenya in there last qualifiers??
hehehe (potatoes are harvested) crazy! grin

1 Like

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by khattab02: 5:38pm On Oct 07, 2016
gbens2000:
hehehe (potatoes are harvested) crazy! grin
I tell you!!! If you see that pitch eh?? Grass scare and where grass dey na brown grass not green.

Some (if not many) NFPL pitches better pass am.

grin grin grin
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by Seun360(m): 8:28pm On Oct 07, 2016
Pavarotti:

No one should question Mikels commitment to the national team again.

The Guy is just so dedicated

Mikel : I Will Play Anywhere For Super Eagles

http://www.soccerassembly.com/mikel-i-will-play-anywhere-for-super-eagles/

Em get choice? Person wey never make Chelsea bench dis season. Conte is wicked.
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by chavesky(m): 7:59am On Oct 08, 2016
Players who will make the difference :
Alex Iwobi- Left winger/left attacking midfielder/Forward.(Arsenal)
Kelechi Iheanacho - Striker/Att midfielder (man city).
Mikel Obi - Central midfielder (Chelsea) .
Anderson Etiti- Defensive midfielder (Genk).
William T Ekong Central Defender (Norway)
Carl Ikeme - Goalkeeper (Wolverhampton).
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by emmanuel77(m): 11:48am On Oct 08, 2016
Probable line up,
Ikeme

Muhammed. Ekong. Omeruo Echiejile

Esiti. Mikel

Simon. Iheanacho. Iwobi

Ideye

4, 2, 3, 1, formation
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 12:50pm On Oct 08, 2016
emmanuel77:
Probable line up,
Ikeme

Muhammed. Ekong. Omeruo Echiejile

Esiti. Mikel

Simon. Iheanacho. Iwobi

Ideye

4, 2, 3, 1, formation

the coach lol grin
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by JoelMurray2020: 3:35pm On Oct 08, 2016
Hello guys
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by chemberlin(m): 5:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
I got a message and email from FCBESCOLA after the screening done some weeks ago that my younger was successful, I had to go to the national stadium and I got all this requirement again to go through before I can join the academy, I want to know how true this is and if I should go ahead with the payment.
*************"***************************
One time registration fee (€120)
Uniform/training gear (€240)
1st term Tuition(part payment) #94,000
Please I want to know if this legal.
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by emmanuel77(m): 5:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
robosky02:

the coach lol grin
Yap, original coach indeed cheesy
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by yungchief(m): 12:40am On Oct 09, 2016
Time??
Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by robosky02(m): 4:12am On Oct 09, 2016
The Nigerian delegation to Sunday’s 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying match against Zambia arrived in Ndola minutes after noon on Saturday.

Nigeria’s Youth and Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung, led the delegation.

The delegation includes NFF President, Amaju Pinnick, NFF vice presidents Seyi Akinwunmi and Shehu Dikko, some members of the National Assembly, some members of the NFF Executive Committee, some Members of NFF Management led by Deputy General Secretary, Emmanuel Ikpeme.

Also a few NFF Staff, some officials of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, some directors of the League Management Company as well as representatives of the media were on board.

The 148 –seater Arik Air Boeing 737-800 aircraft touched down at the Simon Kawewe International Airport, Ndola at 12.07pm Zambian time (11.07am Nigerian time), after a 4-hour-and-20-minute flight from Abuja.

Officials of the High Commission of Nigeria in Zambia and officials from the Football Association of Zambia welcomed the delegation, with a dozen Nigerian youth waving a big banner and miniature Nigerian flags.

Also on ground were NFF Director of Competitions, Bola Oyeyode, and Head of Protocol, Tunde Aderibigbe, who had left Nigeria on Thursday as advance party of the Nigeria contingent.

FAZ officials hinted thenff.com that football–loving President Edgar Lungu is expected to be special guest of honour at Sunday’s match.

The Super Eagles, who are staying at the Protea Hotel Marriott, which is adjacent to the match venue – Levy Nwanawasa Stadium – are scheduled to have the official training at 4.30pm.

Sunday’s encounter, the first FIFA World Cup qualifying match at senior level between both countries, will kick off at 2.30pm Zambian time (1.30pm Nigerian time).

Re: Zambia Vs Nigeria 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 2 (Full Time) by Greenbullet(m): 8:34am On Oct 09, 2016
I DONT EXPECT NIGERIA TO PLAY LIKE THE SAVAGE BALL LOSSERS THEY WERE BEFORE,I EXPECT A WELL DISCIPLINED MIDFIELD CAPABLE OF HOLDING POSSESION,THIS POSSESSION WILL ALLOW THE LIKES OF iwobi and ihenacho,simon,ideye to create opportunities.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Neymar's New Look As He Strikes A Pose With NIKE Shoe (Photo) / Mo Salah Poses With Christmas Tree With His Wife & Daughter, Divides Instagram / Cristiano Ronaldo Leaving Church With Girlfriend, Georgina Rodriguez (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.