Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. (21769 Views)

Male Corper Proposes To Fellow Corper: In The Spirit Of Val (Pics) / Message To My Fellow Corps Members On Our POP Today. / 2015 NYSC Batch B: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 3:43pm On Oct 06, 2016
It has been a great experience serving my fatherland. I was posted to Edo state to serve. By the way, I'm ezekiel from benue state, I'am graduate of history from Ahmadu Bello University. Fast forward to my PPA: my first day at my PPA, we were warmly welcomed and entertained lavishly by our senior corpers, so I decided to stay in the corpers lodge because the place is nice and well equipped. Though I was the only one from benue state among the corpers staying in the lodge, the population of yorubas and igbos were almost even, and we had 2 hausas. So life began with all the 3 ethnic groups living under thesame roof. So straight to the point.

WHAT I OBSERVED ABOUT THE YORUBAS.

1. Yorubas prefers to communicate in english most times when they are aware they have someone from another listening to them, at least one would know they won't sell him/her. Lol...
2. Yorubas are very good with constructive arguments, they argue with points without insulting and believe me, before you can win a yoruba man in an argument, you have a lot of work to do.

3. Yorubas are so difficult to predict! I think that's where their strength lies, you can't really know their mind especially if you've offended them before.
4. They are romantic! Its only a yoruba man you would see in our lodge that helps the ladies to loose their hair, watch their boring korean film with them even if they don't like it, stay with the ladies most times in the kitchen when cooking etc.
5. Yoruba guys and igbo girls have flair for each other: we always see them play, gist, party together. Some of them even dated. They are just kind of connected.
6. Its like Ekiti people (yorubas) are naturally notorious, I served with 3 of them, they are the ones that causes trouble in the lodge.

7. They like social activities like parties, sports etc.
8. And lastly they are naturally nice, accommodating and always ready to take up responsibility.

WHAT I OBSERVED ABOUT THE IGBOS.
1. Igbos does not know how to hide feelings. When they are angry you would know they are, and if they don't like you it means they don't like you.
2. Igbos are too predictable, you can easily know or guess what they would do.
3. Igbos are fun to be with. You would just be laughing whenever you are around them
4. Once an igbo woman loves you, it means she loves you and she does not bloody care about what people will say! "Mehn igbo women sabi love o" they are also attracted to yoruba guys!

5. Igbos like looking for trouble either jokingly or seriously. Lol...

6. Igbo men are not romantic: too serious, rigid and not flexible.

7. Igbo language is difficult to understand, mehn I tried my best but I could only grab few like gaanu koma, ndeewo etc.
8. And lastly, they are creative, open-minded and associate more with themselves. All I have to say is thank God for keeping my alive to witness another milestone. To all my NYSC friends: Rasheed, Japheth, Kosi, oliseh, okey, timilehin, I love you all.

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by YorubasAreSmart: 3:47pm On Oct 06, 2016
NONSENSE

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by Beamborla(f): 3:51pm On Oct 06, 2016
Wish I could argue that your observation about Ekiti indigens... angry

...but they not notorious, they are just strongwilled and obstinate.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by striker9(m): 3:55pm On Oct 06, 2016
Ekiti people aren't notorious but mehn they are too strong headed, they can argue from morning till night and will go to any extent to prove they are right

3 Likes

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by Liberty101: 3:59pm On Oct 06, 2016
This if funny, using less than 10 people to judge an entire tribe of more than 10million.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by sinkhole: 4:00pm On Oct 06, 2016
@OP, mpandevee (I don't know if you are TIV? I am Yoruba) grin You seem to have done some good research during your service. Most of your observations are quite correct but some can not be generalized!
As for the Ekiti people; The Ekiti and the Ijesha are generally very stubborn among the Yorubas (consider Aregbesola (Ijesha) and Fayose (Ekiti)), they are not criminals but they are very stubborn, they can quickly degenerate argument into a fight cheesy

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by obiageIi(f): 4:05pm On Oct 06, 2016
Fantastic experience. Good thread

7 Likes

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by scorpio2013: 4:08pm On Oct 06, 2016
In your imagination. Though you are right about Igbo ladies and Yoruba guys, they connect very well.
TooEasy:
It has been a great experience serving my fatherland. I was posted to Edo state to serve. By the way, I'm ezekiel from benue state, I'am graduate of history from Ahmadu Bello University. Fast forward to my PPA: my first day at my PPA, we were warmly welcomed and entertained lavishly by our senior corpers, so I decided to stay in the corpers lodge because the place is nice and well equipped. Though I was the only one from benue state among the corpers staying in the lodge, the population of yorubas and igbos were almost even, and we had 2 hausas. So life began with all the 3 ethnic groups living under thesame roof. So straight to the point.

1. Yorubas prefers to communicate in english most times when they are aware they have someone from another listening to them, at least one would know they won't sell him/her. Lol...
2. Yorubas are very good with constructive arguments, they argue with points without insulting and believe me, before you can win a yoruba man in an argument, you have a lot of work to do.

3. Yorubas are so difficult to predict! I think that's where their strength lies, you can't really know their mind especially if you've offended them before.
4. They are romantic! Its only a yoruba man you would see in our lodge that helps the ladies to loose their hair, watch their boring korean film with them even if they don't like it, stay with the ladies most times in the kitchen when cooking etc.
5. Yoruba guys and igbo girls have flair for each other: we always see them play, gist, party together. Some of them even dated. They are just kind of connected.
6. Its like Ekiti people (yorubas) are naturally notorious, I served with 3 of them, they are the ones that causes trouble in the lodge.

8. And lastly they are naturally nice, accommodating and always ready to take up responsibility.

1. Igbos does not know how to hide feelings. When they are angry you would know they are, and if they don't like you it means they don't like you.
3. Igbos are fun to be with. You would just be laughing whenever you are around them
4. Once an igbo woman loves you, it means she loves you and she does not bloody care about what people will say! "Mehn igbo women sabi love o" they are also attracted to yoruba guys!

7. Igbo language is difficult to understand, mehn I tried my best but I could only grab few like gaanu koma, ndeewo etc.
8. And lastly, they are creative, open-minded and associate more with themselves. All I have to say is thank God for keeping my alive to witness another milestone. To all my NYSC friends: Rasheed, Japheth, Kosi, oliseh, okey, timilehin, I love you all.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by sinkhole: 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2016
@TooEasy. May I ask, are the Igbos and Yorubas always at dagga drawn, as they are here on NL, in your camp? shocked grin

2 Likes

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by OkoNDOoBo: 4:25pm On Oct 06, 2016
Kk over to the ipod yoots

1 Like

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 4:26pm On Oct 06, 2016
sinkhole:
@TooEasy. May I ask, are the Igbos and Yorubas always at dagga drawn, as they are here on NL, in your camp? shocked grin
Not really bro. Except if an argument comes up. But what I also observed is: the igbos that mixes well and that are less troublesome are the ones that never grew up or did not spend much time in their region. How was it in ir camp ?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2016
Liberty101:
This if funny, using less than 10 people to judge an entire tribe of more than 10million.
Not judging anyone bro. Just an observation.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2016
YorubasAreStupid:
NONSENSE
If you don't like other people's story. Write your own - Chinua Achebe

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by sinkhole: 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2016
TooEasy:

Not really bro. Except if an argument comes up. But what I also observed is: the igbos that mixes well and that are less troublesome are the ones that never grew up or did not spend much time in their region. How was it in ir camp ?
I served in the north some sixteen years ago shocked cool I mixed very well with my brothers from the east; there was no NLand then and nothing much to create and spread hatred in the minds of the young ones.
It is same everywhere; a typical northerner who was born in Katsina, schooled in Maiduguri, served in Sokoto and is working in Abuja will be far more hostile than the one who is born in Gombe, schooled in Jos, served in Port Harcourt and works in Lagos smiley

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by somegirl1: 4:35pm On Oct 06, 2016
TooEasy:

4. Once an igbo woman loves you, it means she loves you and she does not bloody care about what people will say!

Igbos are straightforward, in fewer words

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by YorubasAreSmart: 4:37pm On Oct 06, 2016
sinkhole:
I served in the north some sixteen years ago shocked cool I mixed very well with my brothers from the east; there was no NLand then and nothing much to create and spread hatred in the minds of the young ones
you must be an old mama. Your moniker says it all

1 Like

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TheEastActivist: 4:38pm On Oct 06, 2016
TooEasy:

Not judging anyone bro. Just an observation.

Don't mind the guy abeg, he equally do not know what sample means.

He didnt know one can use ten random items from a given population of 1M to observe your data and draw your conclusion perfectly.

Stat 101.

But baba how do you know or come to the conclusion that Igbo's that didn't grow in the east are not tge one troublesome but otherwise...

Chey you wan divide us abi?

2 Likes

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 4:40pm On Oct 06, 2016
sinkhole:
@OP, mpandevee (I don't know if you are TIV? I am Yoruba) grin You seem to have done some good research during your service. Most of your observations are quite correct but some can not be generalized!
As for the Ekiti people; The Ekiti and the Ijesha are generally very stubborn among the Yorubas (consider Aregbesola (Ijesha) and Fayose (Ekiti)), they are not criminals but they are very stubborn, they can quickly degenerate argument into a fight cheesy
I know they are not criminals but they argue a lot and they like raising their voice.

1 Like

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by sinkhole: 4:44pm On Oct 06, 2016
TooEasy:

I know they are not criminals but they argue a lot and they like raising their voice.
You are very correct, then Fayose's behaviour should not be entirely strange to you cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 4:47pm On Oct 06, 2016
TheEastActivist:

Don't mind the guy abeg, he equally do not know what sample means.

He didnt know one can use ten random items from a given population of 1M to observe your data and draw your conclusion perfectly.

Stat 101.

But baba how do you know or come to the conclusion that Igbo's that didn't grow in the east are not tge one troublesome but otherwise...

Chey you wan divide us abi?
Bros no be like that o, I no wan divide una o. But that's what I observed during the 3 weeks orientation camp. Igbos that are based solely in the east also mixes with other people but they prefer to be with their people most times, but the ones that are based in other region does better when it comes to that. Thanks bro.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 4:52pm On Oct 06, 2016
sinkhole:
I served in the north some sixteen years ago shocked cool I mixed very well with my brothers from the east; there was no NLand then and nothing much to create and spread hatred in the minds of the young ones.
It is same everywhere; a typical northerner who was born in Katsina, schooled in Maiduguri, served in Sokoto and is working in Abuja will be far more hostile than the one who is born in Gombe, schooled in Jos, served in Port Harcourt and works in Lagos smiley
Bros 16 years no be beans o! Nigeria was still united then naw. But now our youths has abused the relevance and importance of social media with hate messages. May God deliver us.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 4:55pm On Oct 06, 2016
sinkhole:
You are very correct, then Fayose's behaviour should not be entirely strange to you cheesy
Not at all, his attitude is not strange. There is a guy among the ekiti corpers we do call fayose. Lol... Stubborn guy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 06, 2016
sinkhole:

You have a point

I don't think I'd have been a hardcore triba... were it not for Nairaland.

It's hard to ignore the bullshit that goes on here but hey.. we don swim inside the water already grin

We can only work hard to get out of the pool

3 Likes

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by sinkhole: 5:00pm On Oct 06, 2016
TooEasy:

Bros 16 years no be beans o! Nigeria was still united then naw. But now our youths has abused the relevance and importance of social media with hate messages. May God deliver us.
Hmmmm, sincerely speaking, typing 16yrs actually shocked me too, but it looks like yesterday and my only joy is that I have achieved quite much since that time! The only advice I can give you is to not always think that next year is 365 days to come but that next year is tomorrow; as somebody said "differ not till tomorrow, what today can achieve"

5 Likes

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 06, 2016
TooEasy:

1 Like

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by Maxcollins042(m): 5:05pm On Oct 06, 2016
TooEasy:

Like seriously? You are judging a tribe with few persons? Oga take time o.

3 Likes

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 5:05pm On Oct 06, 2016
sinkhole:
Hmmmm, sincerely speaking, typing 16yrs actually shocked me too, but it looks like yesterday and my only joy is that I have achieved quite much since that time! The only advice I can give you is to not always think that next year is 365 days to come but that next year is tomorrow; as somebody said "differ not till tomorrow, what today can achieve"
Noted. Thanks for the Advise bro.

1 Like

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by TooEasy: 5:08pm On Oct 06, 2016
Maxcollins042:

Like seriously? You are judging a tribe with few persons? Oga take time o.
Bros I'am not Judging, just speaking from what I observed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by somegirl1: 5:21pm On Oct 06, 2016
TooEasy:

This isn't quite true especially of the ones who grew up in the West.
Even abroad they speak their language and are surprised that you don't understand it, as though Yoruba is a lingua franca of Nigeria.
They however get suspicious when you speak in your language and request, albeit playfully, that you translate.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by Viktor1983(m): 5:21pm On Oct 06, 2016
I do not believe in stereotypes.
Op every individual you met there have a lot of factors that affects their character..
An oshogbo Yoruba is different from Lagos Yoruba. ..
Same way onitsha Igbo lifestyle differs from Enugu igbo or one who grew up in Lagos Abuja et Al. ..
Lots of factors, environment, family etc

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by babyfaceafrica: 5:22pm On Oct 06, 2016
Not surprised by your observations at all...it is only people who don't have a life apart from Nl that will think the animosity between the Igbos and Yoruba is enormous...these same people drink,eat, date and marry each other on regular basis.Its even rare to see any physical assault from one of them to another....NL portrays a telemundo situation of the relationship between both tribes.Nice one OP

7 Likes

Re: A Year Experience With My Fellow Yoruba And Igbo Corpers. by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 06, 2016
Clinton9000:

I'm lowkey chilling on this thread waiting for you to type bullshit. Na your way cheesy

Useless boy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

State With Better Pay Package For Medical Personnel Serving / NYSC Batch C 2014 Kwara Corpers, Meet Here!!! / NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.