Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly (1685 Views)

••The Girl At The Sea•• — ×[A Short Story]× —Petunia Holly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 2:09am On Oct 08, 2016
"""Jessica: I heard you and your mum came to our house (Evelyn nods and she stopped circling. She was standing in front of her now.) Why? (Evelyn was silent) Are you deaf?

Evelyn: (swallows hard) To. We came to..uhm, what we talked about. The job.

Jessica: (feigning ignorance) What job?

Evelyn: The maid's post.

Jessica: Yeah? Will you stop being laconic?

Evelyn: You..you talked with me about you guys needing a maid. And.. and, I.. you agreed that my mum should come apply. (Jessica waited expectantly) For the— maid's post. At— your place.

Jessica: A-ha, so 'your' mum came to apply for a 'maid's' job in 'my' house? (She looked at her minions and they chuckles...) I...... actually, we won't be needing your service anymore.....

Evelyn:.... Please Jessica. Help me talk to your mom. We--we... there's no other way. My mum really needs this job. Without it, we'd--we'd--we'd starve.

Jessica:..... On one condition....

Evelyn:... I'd do anything. Just--please let your mum employ my mum...

Jessica:....(Backing Evelyn) Frame Helen. (Evelyn looked at her puzzled) Friday night. At the school's celebration party. You're going to tell the principal - and- the Judge "she" pushed you into the swimming pool.... """"

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 2:10am On Oct 08, 2016
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 2:33am On Oct 08, 2016
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 2:42am On Oct 08, 2016
°°This is a story about a teenage girl who gained an admission through a scholarship into an elite and renowned school in the state. An advert of the school on a billboard was what captivated her, well, and the desire for an exceptional academic success. With the cravings to finally pass out with flying colors, be a successful writer and take care of her family, she's determined to sail through her school years. But she got a lot more than she bargained for as she discovered things dishonorable and unspeakable about the school rather than the good image its owners are trying to paint the society. In the midst of dealing with discriminations, low self-esteem and inferiority complex and the "BIRP" girls, she found true friendship, love and fame.
~~~~*~~~~~
Copyright © 2016 by Petunia Holly.
All rights reserved.
~~~~*~~~~~
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events or locales is entirely coincidental.

Funmilola Omotola

Olajide Aderogba

Jessica Anichebe

Helen Rowland

Caroline Macey

Maryam Hammed

Julian Michaels

Jamie Dean

Yvonne Edwards

Tracey Myrtles

Rosalind Xie Yong
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 2:48am On Oct 08, 2016
Source: Google

Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 3:37am On Oct 08, 2016
^^^Prologue^^^
11:45am....
.....Sweet smell of ripen mangoes and oranges filled her nostrils as she stepped into the school's compound. It wasn't hard to spot the school hall which was partly hidden by tall, big trees planted in the orchard. That, plus the only sign of life is in the hall. Other students— or rather candidates coming in too are taking the narrow-paved path that leads to the hall while some who came with cars are taking the main gate. Apart from that, no sign of life in the school. It's mid-august, the time when summer classes are held. Perhaps there are students in the classrooms, she thought. This time of the year is also when entrance examinations are usually taken, though, this is the fourth and the last entrance examination Primrose High School will be having. The entrance examination started in June but she'd gone for other school's which are government owned. She just decided to try out her luck and she would be glad if she was picked even though her chances are very slim.
Firstly, it's a private school, true, though it's offering scholarship —but there will always be folks who would buy their way in with money. Secondly, there are far more brilliant lads than her. She's coming from a public school to compete with kids from other prestigious and well equipped, rich schools. Some of them are probably from outside of the country. She's fooling herself, she thought, and she's made a very big mistake. What was she thinking? Why had she applied for the scholarship in the first place? Her father warned her against it and her mom had encouraged her. But — what about her money?... No!. No!!, she thought. Her savings would not be wasted. She'd saw the school ad on a billboard sometimes in January when she was returning home from the market. She'd also heard a lot about the school but has never come across any information as close as this. The students —a male and a female posing in it... the uniforms— a lemon green skirt and a trouser, white shirt, a yellow bow tie for the boy and a tie for the girl, the guy had on a green waist coat and a green suit jacket was draped over his shoulder. The girl had none on except the white shirt, she wore a black hat and her sleeves were rolled up to the elbow—... then the fountain in the background ... and the field of lea stretching behind... She'd fell in love with it instantly and stood there for almost thirty minutes, staring at the billboard She'd committed the school's website and email to memory, and went home that day to start the "procedures" of attending the school. She'd bought a new Sim card on her way home, registered it and inserted it into her cousin, Bisola's phone— not without permission. She didn't do anything with the Sim until after two days when she's able to make call, and message etc. Luckily for her, she was able to gather all the information needed in obtaining a scholarship form before Bisola left for her school in Ogun. Ogun usually resumed two or three weeks after Lagos.
Four months later, she'd saved up five thousand naira for the scholarship form which she paid into Internationale Bank. She was given a small card with eight digits in it alongside the payment slip. A week later, she'd gone to a cafe on Post Office Road and logged on to the school's website. After much clicking and selecting, a box popped up. She typed in the eight digits number on the card and a page with the scholarship form came in view. It was all she could do to keep herself from jumping up. You don't want to distract the 'big boys' from their 'yahooing business'. She filled the form, submitted it and came back a week later, this time to check her email (which she'd opened with Bisola's phone. Her form was accepted and she was asked to write an expository essay on the topic: "My recipe for happiness". Not too much for a JSS3, is it? She writes, applied all the knowledge she'd gained in the junior classes and she mailed her essay to the school management board. It was picked, she was asked to come for a written examination in the school on any of the dates: 16th June, 8th and 29th of July and 19th August. And here she is.
If she was able to pass through all those stages, then, surely, she would this one. She'd take the examination. She'd do it for herself and her mom. And her siblings. And Mercy too.
She closes the gate behind her and made for the entrance of the hall. Three teachers, two males and a female were standing beside the door discussing. The lady amidst them was putting on a white lacy shirt and an high-waisted sequin pencil skirt that stopped below her knees. The name tag on her chest reads: "Miss. Jade".
Miss Jade broke from the discussion and turned in time to see Evelyn walking in.
Miss Jade: And your name would be...?

Evelyn: Evelyn. Evelyn Ogunde.

(Miss Jade opened the sheet in her hands and scanned through.)

Miss Jade: (mumbling to herself: O--gun--de... B--a.. kker Street?) (she looked up) Sorry.. What does your dad do?

Evelyn: Huh?

Miss Jade: I mean his occupation

Evelyn: Err--well--he's a--he works at Hudson & Hollis firm.

Miss Jade: I see... (she looked at the sheet again. It stated that Mr Ifedapo Ogunde works as a paralegal. She rejoined the teacher's conversation without giving Evelyn a reply.)

Evelyn: Can— (she stopped herself when she was that the teachers wasn't paying attention to her anymore. She could hear a lady's voice from the hall and it seems as if she was giving out orders and commands.)

--Evelyn entered the hall and her guess was proven right. A lady— or teacher was dressed in a blue shirt tucked in black slacks. Blue mules covered her legs and the name tag she had read: "Miss Madison". She's been going round the hall "reserving" seats, asking candidates to stand up and even harassing some. She went to a seat numbered '52'. It was occupied by a young lad and she got in a small talk with him.
Evelyn walked across the hall and she found a vacant seat numbered '41'. She placed her strap bag beside the computer on the desk and looked around the hall. Few candidates. About a hundred. And to think of all the thousands of applications that was sent. Her chances are really slim, she thought. Perhaps there are some things the school management put in to consideration. Popularity? Money? Influence? But then why was she picked? Her dad's status? But a paralegal doesn't worth much. And besides, she's sure every other candidates/applicants took the same measures she took. Okay, the essay is there too. But an essay written by an HoneyBee student is nothing compared to that of a student from Cherry Montgomery or Sharon Greeley or Krystal Kresent or... She heard heels clicking behind her. She saw "Lady blue" walking away from the 52nd seat— after ruffling the boy's hair — to the girl on seat number '41'.

Miss Madison: Um... young lady? (the girl looked up) what's your name?

Kare: Kare is my name.

Miss Madison: (to herself: whateves.) So... you have to move from here to the baa—ck. (the girl looked at her expectantly, waiting for an explanation but she gave none) Did you hear what I said?

Kare: Yes ma'am. I did. (she nods and stood up)

Miss Madison: Thank you.

--"Lady blue" moved away from Kare— who was wearing a faded round neck, an ill fitting skirt and slippers— as if a lice might jump from the girl's body to hers. Miss Madison looked at the girl with contempt as she walked to the back while some students were murmuring--

Mojisola: (she placed a hand on her chest feigning a fake heart attack) It's funny how some "paupers" think they could get a chance in "this" school.

Nifemi: And they even went as far as applying for a five K scholarship! Canublivit?

Mojisola: And they dare show their sun burnt face for the exam!

Beattie: Oh you're talking about entering the hall? The school compound. In fact, the school's vicinity. I wonder what those security men does anyway. I think two bulldogs should be placed at the estate entry to tear their monstrous face and shaggy looking skin to pieces. (some of the candidates closed by burst into a fit of laughter)
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by LivinaPatrick(f): 2:24pm On Oct 08, 2016
Following
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 9:04pm On Oct 08, 2016
LivinaPatrick:
Following

Welcome wink
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 3:22am On Oct 09, 2016
^^^
Michelle: And I'm sure it took their fathers' five-years salaries to get the scholarship form. (they all burst into another round of laughter)

Micah: Hahaha... that would spell doom and a ten-years famine for them. (They continued jesting and taunting until "lady blue" turned towards Evelyn's desk. They all kept quiet)

Miss Madison: You. (Evelyn looked at her) You should— (she paused and considered her dressing) mmh, what's your name?

Evelyn: It's Evelyn Ogunde.

Miss Madison: (bluntly) Where does your dad works?

(The candidates close by turned their heads in Evelyn's direction)

Evelyn: (inwardly: seriously, lady blue?) (clears throat) Err... —
- - - Miss Jade came in- - -
Miss Jade: Hudson & Hollis firm. So she said.

Miss Madison: (she cocks a brow and looked at Evelyn) Really? (Evelyn nods) Okay. (she faced the girl behind Evelyn, Nifemi.)

- - - Evelyn sat down. She wasn't really lying, was she? Her dad does work in Hudson & Hollis. He's a worker. And he does qualify to be a staff even though he doesn't hold any significant post. And that applies to her too. Insignificant. She's a nobody. Her looks must've had them fooled. A pink top with slash at the sides, white shorts, black pumps and a strap purse. Her hair had been gelled and her fingernails was coated black— all of which was Mercy's handiwork.

—°—°—Flashback—°—°—
Mercy: C'mon eve. You don't want to go there looking like a shabby old lady. Look at your hair... your fingernails... your face.... your—

Evelyn: It's only an exam! And it's just for a day! I might not even pass. It Primrose, huh? P-r-i-m-r-o-s-e. We're talking Primrose here. Prim — rose.

Mercy: Yeah. Prim — rose. We're both talking Prim — rose. (she starts pacing round the small room) The third to the second and third prestigious schools in the LGA. The seventh in the whole state. The twelfth in the whole country! Omg! The twentieth in the whole of Afri— (almost shouting now)

Evelyn: Mercy! Slow — down. (she stood up from the bed and prevented Mercy from pacing any further, she placed her hands on her shoulders) Good. (Mercy is a really brilliant lad and she knows a lot of things. She'd even been the one to help Evelyn in searching for the school's website when she was having difficulty navigating the browser on Bisola's phone. But she had to stop her else she'd go on and on till she reached the solar system. Then where next? Hades? The school is probably in the 'nil' position there.) Now what is it you wanted to say?

Mercy: Yeah, as I was saying, we're both talking Prim — rose. And you know what to expect of the students. Though, I'm sure you qualify in the IQ section. (she smiled and placed a palm on her chest —turning serious again) but it'll be a no-no of you're lacking in the appearance section.

Evelyn: One, IQ minus EQ is useless. Two, appearance? Oh I'm sorry but I don't entertain the idea of going around borrowing clothes all because of "looking good" and "fitting in". Say watin? (she rolled her eyes)

Mercy: Excuse me did you say going around? Duh! They're all from Princess. And she's 'a friend.'

Evelyn: 'Your friend' you mean...

Mercy: Whatever... and.. uh... what's that thing you said earlier?... Something.. what's it? (trying to remember)

Evelyn: EQ? It means emotional—

Mercy: Okay. Whatever. Let's get you ready. (she picked up and nail polish and Evelyn shouted 'no'. They'd gone back and forth arguing until she agreed to wear it.

—°—°—Present—°—°—
Mercy always knew her way with you. And she's glad now that she had agreed to wear the clothes. She couldn't imagine herself being treated the way Kare was. Evelyn was brought back to present by the audible murmurs of the candidates. They were all oohing and aahing and omging and damning and... doing all sort of exaggerating acts one could ever think of. Perhaps not all of the candidates are doing so so Kare definitely isn't and a two or three other candidates. But one thing is indisputable, she is the cynosure of all eyes.
Apparently, a girl just came into the school. No, she was already in the hall —and walking towards her, Evelyn. She was looking chic and lithe in a purple tube dress and and leggings. She wore red wedges and hoops and a single string of beads was at hanging round her neck. Her hair was parted at the side and cascaded down her bare shoulders. Her makeup looks wowful and she speaks creme de la creme.

Girl: I... think...I... should be sitting down...here.

Evelyn: (inwardly: Seriously? Well, I don't think so.)

Girl: Hello?

Evelyn: No--I--( she swallowed hard, mustering up courage) l've been sitting down here for a long time now—

Girl: (she held up a palm) Spare me. Just stand.

Evelyn: Am sorry— (the girl's mouth was forming into an O) —I can't. I-I mean—

- - - Miss Jade climbed the raised platform provided for the invigilators. - - -

Miss Jade: That lady in Purple, please seat. We're about to commence.

- - - The girl got angry and and walked away from Evelyn. She scanned the hall for an empty seat. Just two. The one beside Evelyn and one at the back— beside Kare. She can't seat with paupers. The one beside Evelyn is being reserved for another candidate. Julian Michaels. Jessica and he were the ones who'd posed for the school ad. And she could have been sitting beside him now, but no, she thought. All thanks to that lady in "pink", she mimicked Miss Jade. Where the heck is Aunty Maddy by the way? She fumed as she made her way to Michelle's seat. The girl left the seat before Jessica got there for the one beside Kare. They looked at each other disdainfully.

Kare: (inwardly: Fool! As if she recognizes your 'kind gesture' now.)

Miss Jade: Alright... (she scanned the hall) Anyone left?

Boy: Yes please.
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 3:48am On Oct 09, 2016
- - - This time the welcoming is twice the one given to Jessica. The boy rolled his eyes and made for the seat beside Evelyn. He hated the "crowd" and spotlights and interviews just like he did a Monday morning. He looked at the girl beside him and have a half-smile before turning to the teachers. She was the only one not cheering, he noticed. If only others could be like that. But then his father.
Evelyn averted her gaze in time to see Jessica looking at her with disgust. She turned to look at the boy again, though, she could only get a side view. Then she made the connection. They— the boy and the girl who'd come to meet her earlier were the students she'd seen in the billboard. But, something isn't right. They are writing exams when they were already students!.. Or.. Could it have been that the school used them for the ad knowing that they would still be offered an admission? Or the school was bribed by their parents to boost their influence and recognition? That's possible. Things happen I'm the world of the rich. Or perhaps they'd failed the exams last year but was given an admission anyway and were made to sit for it again just to have a result? Still, it's money. They're popular it seems and their parents wouldn't want their image tarnished cos of their child's education. "Renowned bla bla, Mr so and so son _____, doesn't have a junior school certificate and he wants to run this and that business..." and so on. That might be the case. Social media. Miss Jade's voice cuts into her thoughts. She looked up.

Miss Jade: Okay! Power on!

HoneyBee isn't that bad after all. They take computer classes... and this should be easy.
×××××××××××××××××××××××××
So this is the prologue. I hope you enjoyed reading it. Please drop a comment and let me know what your opinion is about the book. My writing... and the three main characters
*Evelyn *Jessica and *Julian.
Thank you!
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by Shakyroh320(f): 6:43am On Oct 09, 2016
just came across dis mind blowing piece,the intro alone is mouth watery,plzzzzz proceed,the Lord is ur strenght.
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 8:24am On Oct 09, 2016
Shakyroh320:
just came across dis mind blowing piece,the intro alone is mouth watery,plzzzzz proceed,the Lord is ur strenght.

Thank you!
I'll be dropping the first act and scene today.
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 10:24am On Oct 09, 2016
***The Michaels' foyer ***
Source: Google

Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 10:30am On Oct 09, 2016
<><><>ACT ONE••Scene one<><><>
{×Dedicated to LivinaPatrick×}
Orangeview 4:15pm
He opened the door quietly, stepped into the foyer and closed it without making a sound. He heard distinct shuffling of papers and looked up to the balcony. He gave a low gruff and muttered some profanities under his breath. He went into the living room and made for the kitchen in search of something to eat. Why wasn't the stud gone yet? Isn't the plane supposed to have left over an hour ago? He wasn't in the mood for another confrontation after hell went loose yesterday. And that was the reason why he'd stayed back at school at the back of the gym with his 'famz'. He'd finished her a exams by 2pm, called Harry to know if they are on school and he'd gone to meet them. Femi came with some booze and they all had a swell time considering the fact that they'd seen each other —in person for over a long time now. They'd keep in touch on social media though. But that's nothing like being together and being able to have fun, chit chat, share secrets and many more. By sharing secrets, it meant to him that they are all in the same boat. Things they face of home. Similar issues if not the same. And they are able to empathize.
Femi, for example, sixteen and in SS3. Son of a neurosurgeon with more than five hospitals in the state. The president of the Modern-day Doctors' Society (MDS) and the founder of Taiwo Akinpelu School Of Neuroscience (TASNS). Taiwo, wants his son (who wants to do music) to follow in his footsteps and he'd told the boy not to apply for any examination or university. He'd get a direct entry into his school. "To the little time I have remaining to squander", Femi had toasted.
Harry's father is an ex-cultist and a popular and powerful politician in the society. He's contesting for the presidential election coming up in three months time. Really big a deal. And, something big as that should get an equivalent sacrifice. Harry's blood. His dad godfather said he'll have to carry a sacrifice and they need a little of his blood. He'll only be weak for sometimes but he won't die. That's the only thing that was revealed him, the rest of the details was kept secret between his dad and his godfather. Well, they can go on on planning as long as he'll be running away from home before then.
Him. His humble self. The worst of all. Have everything one could ever wish for. Everything and anything at all. Looks, money, fame, connections and a lot of fan girls swimming round him. Plus choice. Yeah, he's got choice. Choice to choose whatever he wants to do— which the other boys don't have. He knew it was pretense anyway, his father doesn't want the public to get the impression of him being a manipulator since their lives, both public and private, is subject and opened to the media. He had chosen Commercial anyway and he knew that his father was secretly happy.
All of those things were his but yet they are not his. Or let's say he'd helped his father 'earn' it. The relationship between he and his father is like that of a 'master-servant' or an 'employer-employee'. A servant takes care of everything on the house but they still belongs to the master. He plays basketball also, and sometimes models for companies. Especially those in the fashion industry. His father is his manager meaning all deals and contracts and connections is through him. He'd forcefully take the boy on business trips and meetings and tours and luncheons, dinners squeezed in a tux. And that has been having a toll not only on his health but education. That was the bone of contention for yesterday. His father had wanted to take him to the launching of a new cloth line by one of his friends but he'd refused on grounds that he have exams the next day. His father went alone then, excusing him St the launching the he's down with a runny nose. His father had chosen money and business over him and his welfare. His father had turned into an emotionless beast who finds solace in paperworks and different women gracing his bed each week. A playboy at forty-eight. Simply put— his father uses him. For personal and selfish gains. (At least, looking at the other boys, their fathers' decision would benefit them sometimes in the future.) He'd become a toy. A piece of garbage. A commodity being tossed to and from by his 'master'.
He'd raised his glass without making any toast, but he'd made one in his heart.' To the time I have left before joining mom'. That's the secret he meant. Not real personal secrets like best friends. For example, no one knows that he smokes in his bathroom and at times takes snuffs. Okay, well just one person knows. Jamie. His friend, brother and other half. They knew each other inside-out. He isn't addicted but takes once in a while 'issues' are really pressing him down and overwhelming. He writes music in the day— all alone in his room and he's a head banger. In the night, he'd snuck out and take a walk to the nearby Park or at times go to the cemetery or the local church. He'd sing the song he had composed while playing the piano. And at times, he'd just cry his heart out, seeking and searching for emotional solace. He'd return home when it's dawn.
The back door flew open and a woman in her early sixties ran in screaming and parading a rake in her hand. He dodged his head and she ran past him. When she saw that he hadn't been hit, she halted, made a U-turn and charge after him again. They started running round the kitchen, scattering chairs and dropping things.

Julian: Oh my God! Stop it, Mrs Bil. Mrs Bil!... Stop!... It's me!... (he dodges behind the counter as the rake flew over his head. He raised his head up and down again in time to see the rake aiming for his eyes.) My eyes!... God, you're gonna maim me... Crazy fellow!

Hey circles he counter and pushes a stool to the floor. It collided with Mrs Bil steps and she lurched forward, sending the rake into the air. It landed with a loud 'clanggg' just as she fell on the stool— chest first, then her jaw crashed on it. Julian removed the hood covering his head.

Mrs Bil: (In a shilling voice) Julian!!! Iwo ni !!!

---He helped her up, pulled a seat from the dining table and sat her on it just as Ibukun ran in. He pulled up the stool to a standing position while Ibukun picked the rake.

Ibukun: What's wrong Mrs Bil?

---Julian got a glass cup, filled it with water from the sink and gave it to Mrs Bil, who collected it with trembling hands. He crossed his arms and leaned behind the sink, studying her. Mrs Bilikisu Agbaako , a sucker for culture and religion, and a funny character just like her name.

Mrs Bil: (fussing and rambling) Look at you! All calmed and relaxed! As if you hadn't try to take my life some seconds ago! Oh my Lord, my Lord, Son of God!... You scared the living daylights out of my fragile heart and frail skin! I though your were a thief! You move ever so slightly and lightly! Not even a single sound from you! Not a single sound! I didn't even hear the door open for Yemoja's sake! And look at you all dressed in black! Black hoodie!... Black boots!... And your hair is black!! God! Don't you never ever play such a nasty joke on me again! You hear?! (she breaks and took the water in one gulp. She wipes her mouth and stretches the glass cup towards Julian. He smirked. Je tool the glass from her, refills it and gave it back to her. She was about taking another gulp but stopped as if there's a fly in the water. She looked up, narrowed her eyes and stared at him, her face hard) Did you just call me a crazy fellow?

---And just what he'd been expecting. Mrs Bil fury. It could start a world war III. Ibukun was just giggling all along. Everyone felt the atmosphere change and Ibukun stopped giggling. Okay, there's something far worse than Mrs Bil fury, Julian thought.
Chief Dele Michaels walked into the kitchen-----
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by Shakyroh320(f): 10:38am On Oct 09, 2016
Waiting patiently for it dear.
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 1:33am On Oct 14, 2016
^^^
Mr Michaels: (looking around the messy kitchen) And what in the world— (he saw Julian and his countenance changed. They stared at each other) I see you're back.

Julian: Apparently. (he drawled lazily)

'Useless kid!, Michaels cursed inwardly. Not even a little sign of respect. Or a flinch! Or fear!... Or anything.'

Mr Michaels: (To Mrs Bil) What's going on in here? I was about calling the airport when I heard you screaming.

Mrs Bil: (she stood up and courtesied) I'm very sorry sir if I have disturbed you in any way. I was in the backyard raking some leaves when I saw someone moving around in the kitchen. Ibukun was doing the laundry and Adaeze already went to the market, so I thought it was a thief! He scared me to Sheol! Then I stood behind the door hoping to confirm my suspicions. This boy! He hardly makes any sound. But thank God! I don't have any hearing problems as signs of old age! And my bones too, as strong as steel. As I was saying, I stood behind the door and I could hear movements. Cabinets being opened and all. So I opened the door and started running after the person not knowing it was Julian. We scattered so many things till I fell down. Then he removed his hood. Lo' and behold, it was Julian. My God, he almost killed me. (she started shaking her head dramatically)

Mr Michaels: Almost killed you? (he turns to Julian) You want to send her to an early grave just like you sent your mum, eh?

(Ibukun eyes widened and she covered her mouth with her hands. Mrs Bil, forgetting how Mr Michaels tends to pick Julian, tried to save him from his father's jabs)

Mrs Bil: No, no, no. He didn't try to kill me. I--l mean---C'mon sir, I told you I'm as string as steel. There's no death in my face. You know I exaggerate things! Like now! Julian is a sweet lad, and wouldn't even hurt a fly—

Mr Michaels: And you wouldn't be far from the truth when you suspected a thief came in.

-Mrs Bil kept quiet now when she perceived that Mr Michaels is hell bent on picking on the boy. The exchange of stares between father and son went for what seems like eternity, with Julian clenching and unclenching his fist. Another of his nocturnal activities is Street fighting in Lovejoy Street, a little walk from Orangeview. Of course, he doesn't go in a casual wear— like his real self. Thanks to popularity. He wears his all black outfit with a glove and a mask. Those are his cherished secrets and no soul knows about it except Jamie, who sometimes follow him to the 'Pit'.

Mr Michaels: How was the exams? (Julian stormed out of the kitchen narrowly missing hitting his dad. Mrs Bil covered her mouth with her palm. Mr Michaels gave a low laugh and called after Julian) You had better not waste my "money" this time. (He turned to Mrs Bil. She averted her gaze and stared at her slippers. Then to Ibukun) Did you find the wallet? (she shook her head and he sighed frustratingly.) What are you still doing with that take by the way? (He left the room in a fury. Ibukun went out through the back door, leaving Mrs Bil all alone in the kitchen. She collapses on to a stool and slapped her forehead.)
××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
*Iwo ni !!!: It's you!!!
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 1:41am On Oct 14, 2016
~~~The Michaels' Kitchen~~~
Source: www.houzz.com

Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 2:17am On Oct 14, 2016
••Scene two••
¶°The Michaels' Kitchen°¶
Adaeze was peeling one of the yams she'd bought from the market for dinner. Ibukun was blending some peppers and Justin Bieber's 'sorry' was playing from Ada's phone. No one said a thing and everywhere was quiet except for the distinct voices coming from the living room where Mrs Bil was watching "Aajiirebi" on AM Yoruba. Ibukun looked at the kitchen's entrance for the umpteenth time— since they'd been working for the past thirty minutes. Adaeze have been observing her secretly too and she knew Ibukun too well that she is itching to say something. Ada rolled her eyes.

Ibukun: Ada!

Adaeze: Huh? (she nods her head to the music. It's now playing Rihanna's 'work')

Ibukun: Can you believe?

Adaeze: One, pe kinni ? And two, I don't know whether I'll believe it or not.

Ibukun: (arms akimbo) Why do I detect sarcasm? Or is it me?

Adaeze: (she stopped working for a second and looked at Ibukun) Sarcasm? Well, it's definitely you. I only asked you what it is and I said I don't know yet whether I'll believe or not.

Ibukun: Well, it'll really shock you out of your 'fragile heart and frail skin', according to Mrs Bil.

Adaeze: What has Mrs Bil got to do with this?

Ibukun: Ugh! No. I'm only quoting what she said this afternoon. But--she played a part in the ish too anyway. (Adaeze continued with her work) Do you want to hear it or not?

Adaeze: What is it? You're making me loose interest. (muttering) well, not that I'm paying any attention anyway.

Ibukun: Alright! Alright! Your curiosity still needs to remain piqued. So-- a shocking revelation was made today.

Adaeze: (not looking at her) In Nollywood? Hollywood or Bollywood?

Ibukun: What is that supposed to mean? Anyway, there is in Nollywood but hey what I'm saying is here. Real life.
(Adaeze looked at her, puzzled. She threw the yam peels in the dustbin and took another yam.)

Adaeze: I don't get you. (she starts peeling the yam)

Ibukun: I mean in this house.

Adaeze: Just talk already! (on a second thought) wait, you should rather just keep it to yourself.

Ibukun: You sure you don't wanna hear it? Okay. (she continues blending peppers. She allowed some time passed till she when she knows that Adaeze won't be expecting anything. Then she bluntly blurted out) Julian killed his mom.

—Adaeze gasped in utter shock and slashes her palm with the knife. —
~~~
to be continued.
***Please comment and let me know your thoughts about my writing so far.
***this is my first book and I need constructive criticisms.
Thanks. x.
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by stardomberry: 1:04pm On Oct 14, 2016
Dysfunctional family that it is to say d rich also cry.". thumbs up.
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 2:06pm On Nov 20, 2016
~~~~~
Adaeze: Oh God. (Ibukun took a rag immediately and pressed it to Ada's palm. Ada winced in pain) You said what?

Ibukun: (she leans against the counter and folds her arms) You heard me. Julian killed his—

Adaeze: (she threw the rag at Ibukun's mouth) Shut up. Ibukun! Jeez! Of all your poke nosings, this is OTT. Like seriously? What if someone overhead you? Where did you hear such gibberish and 'hogwash' from?

Ibukun: (she pushed her lips up and down in a mock gesture) See you, stay there and be calling it hogwash. This is no hogwash. Shebi you no dey for house. Ehn, na me I witness am. I see am with my two koro eyes. I came, I heard and I witness. (she looks around) Mr Michaels himself said so.

Adaeze: Ibukun!!! How could Julian kill his mom?

Ibukun: Mtcheew. See this one. He said it here. Right here. In this kitchen.

Adaeze: He said it to 'you'? Or you were eavesdropping during one of their clashes?

Ibukun: Ahn ahn, what's this one saying? He said it in the kitchen here. Mrs Bil was here. I myself was here. Even Julian was here.

Adaeze: Hmm.... But he rarely comes to the kitchen...

Ibukun: But he came this afternoon. I was washing some clothes. And Mrs Bil was at the the backyard. Then all of a sudden, I heard her screaming and went down to check what was going on. I saw her lying on the floor with a rake. I picked up the rake and Julian got her a water, smiling, (drooling) Omg, I love that cute smile of his....

Adaeze: (she rolled her eyes) Ibk!!

Ibukun: Oh yeah.... And Mrs Bil, you know her, a funny character, she started rambling on and on about Julian almost killing her. Then the beast came in. And oh la la, she started again! (she started mimicking Mrs Bil old and funny tone) Oh this boy! He moves ever so slightly and lightly! I thought it was a thief! he removed his hoodie and lo and behold, it was Julian! My God, he almost killed me! And then the beast was like —(she switched her voice to Mr Michaels rough and deep voice) — he almost killed you? You want to send her to an early grave just like you sent your mom, eh?
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by damiperry(f): 2:22am On Dec 15, 2018
DISCONTINUED.
Re: ••EVELYN•• By Petunia Holly by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 05, 2022
damiperry:
"""Jessica: I heard you and your mum came to our house (Evelyn nods and she stopped circling. She was standing in front of her now.) Why? (Evelyn was silent) Are you deaf?

Evelyn: (swallows hard) To. We came to..uhm, what we talked about. The job.

Jessica: (feigning ignorance) What job?

Evelyn: The maid's post.

Jessica: Yeah? Will you stop being laconic?

Evelyn: You..you talked with me about you guys needing a maid. And.. and, I.. you agreed that my mum should come apply. (Jessica waited expectantly) For the— maid's post. At— your place.

Jessica: A-ha, so 'your' mum came to apply for a 'maid's' job in 'my' house? (She looked at her minions and they chuckles...) I...... actually, we won't be needing your service anymore.....

Evelyn:.... Please Jessica. Help me talk to your mom. We--we... there's no other way. My mum really needs this job. Without it, we'd--we'd--we'd starve.

Jessica:..... On one condition....

Evelyn:... I'd do anything. Just--please let your mum employ my mum...

Jessica:....(Backing Evelyn) Frame Helen. (Evelyn looked at her puzzled) Friday night. At the school's celebration party. You're going to tell the principal - and- the Judge "she" pushed you into the swimming pool.... """"

Aww, it has my name

(1) (Reply)

Free Novels / A Letter To My Love / My Path....my Joy....my Goal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.