Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice (51944 Views)

Igede Lady Removes Shoes To Enter ATM Cubicle (Photo) / FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste / FG Lifts Ban On 41 Imported Items (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by BerryBlaster: 9:05pm On Oct 08, 2016
We are so vulnerable in this country. Did anybody bother checking the date of this news?  Publish Date: Oct 7 2015 6:57PM

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by ndcide(m): 9:07pm On Oct 08, 2016
lielbree:
I weep for my country. Ghana dose not import rice. They are blacks like us..,

What's wrong with us??

Do you have a rich farm? What the hell are you weeping for.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 08, 2016
agabusta:
What now happens to all the efforts to stimulate local production of rice??

Nigeria and policy somersaults eh.

Well, some short term advantage will accrue from this:
-cheaper rice

Long term disadvantages
-pressures on naira will continue as people continue sourcing for scarce foreign exchange for rice imports.
-if the local production is not well protected and nourished, this new directive can kill off the production.
ewu
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by chigoizie7(m): 9:09pm On Oct 08, 2016
SnowJay92:

Are you certain there was substantial investment in rice farming? Last I checked the govt never lifted a finger with regards to that.

Please explain what u meant by, govt never lifted a finger with regards to what.

As for being certain that there was substantial investment in rice farming? Well, I know of Anambra,( so much investment, even though it will not cater for all our consumptions) ebonyi also, even kogi , it might not be enough,yes, but instead of encouraging them to do more, or making others who has not invested in it to go in owing to the evidence of profitability in the venture, but all govt can do is to bring competitions for them, (pikin Wey never begin walk, u wan make him be run, not just run but to compete in the olympics).

The FG reason for lifting the ban was not about sufficient investment in the rice production venture, but their inability to apprehend and catch smugglers operating at the borders. ( they were all like, since we can't catch these people bringing in this rice, let us lift ban on it,at least make we the collect small change from them) but they are myopic, because all our neighbours does not produce all those types of Taiwan or Spanish rice ( they are all imported into those countries and duty and other levies or taxes paid to those governments but it is we the Nigerians that will bear the final cost) if it is about sufficiency, they would have unbanned it, open the ports, earn revenue for FG and even checkmate on the conditions and durability of the products. But no, they want cheap money only aimed at killing the local manufactures.

If customs were doing their jobs well, those banned rice even the so called poisoned rice can never find its way near Naija borders.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by booblacain(m): 9:11pm On Oct 08, 2016
Grundig:
I've got mixed feelings about this. But, most importantly, there'd be rice, CHEAP RICE this December. Shouldn't be more than 12k per bag.

Just last year rice was sold for 7k, you expect to buy rice for 12k in December and you call it cheap. See what they are doing to you people.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by grandstar(m): 9:13pm On Oct 08, 2016
The self sufficient rice policy won't work hence the high import duty.

Nigeria has no comparative advantage in producing rice hence its cheaper to import.

The only way locally produced rice can compete against the imported brand is by placing prohibitive duties on it driving up the price.

At the end of the day, Nigerians are forced to pay stiff prices for rice.

I don't understand how driving up the price of food for the poor will help reduce hunger.

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Bigboss111(m): 9:14pm On Oct 08, 2016
God is watching. After punishing the masses for nothing and removing subsidy on fertilizer and also ignoring the plea of Sultan Of Sokoto and many others.

Policies should be consistent, coherent, beneficial and planned after looking at it's benefits and implications before formulating.

By God's grace and mercy, Nigerians can survive the hard times and only time shall tell.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by efemena24(m): 9:14pm On Oct 08, 2016
donphilopus:

You're the dull@rd here Mr Man. Buhari didn't tighten security at the borders because imported rice were harmful for consumption. What they said was that, as a result of the ban of rice, importers were importing rice with coffins and mixing rice with other harmful substances so they could evade arrest at the border.

Try and use your brain next time. You don't just rush to term the President a dull@rd at any given opportunity.
But the President is a dullard oOh...

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by idesylvester(m): 9:16pm On Oct 08, 2016
So wat do u think... get married while leaving under d bridge... or plan ur wedin wen u mum n dad still feeds u.. bro r u thinkin wit ur d*ck.. mind u,car is nt compulsory
anonimi:

You can't marry until you have:

- a car
- a house
- a 6 figure salary

Does that sound reasonable or stupid

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3504410_internet_jpeg8efe841e125b21f5a740dc528a146d09
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by mikolo80: 9:16pm On Oct 08, 2016
agabusta:
What now happens to all the efforts to stimulate local production of rice??

Nigeria and policy somersaults eh.

Well, some short term advantage will accrue from this:
-cheaper rice

Long term disadvantages
-pressures on naira will continue as people continue sourcing for scarce foreign exchange for rice imports.
-if the local production is not well protected and nourished, this new directive can kill off the production.
enter farm if e pain you na
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Grundig: 9:16pm On Oct 08, 2016
booblacain:

Just last year rice was sold for 7k, you expect to buy rice for 12k in December and you call it cheap. See what they are doing to you people.
Chief, this time last year, the naira was 200 to the dollar.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by anonimi: 9:18pm On Oct 08, 2016
BerryBlaster:
We are so vulnerable in this country. Did anybody bother checking the date of this news?  Publish Date: Oct 7 2015 6:57PM

Thanks for pointing that out.
Cheers, bro.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by passionate88: 9:20pm On Oct 08, 2016
donphilopus:

You're the dull@rd here Mr Man. Buhari didn't tighten security at the borders because imported rice were harmful for consumption. What they said was that, as a result of the ban of rice, importers were importing rice with coffins and mixing rice with other harmful substances so they could evade arrest at the border.

Try and use your brain next time. You don't just rush to term the President a dull@rd at any given opportunity.
the presidiot is a dullard
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 08, 2016
gud news cheesy..at least man pickin go see affordable rice choplate dis christmas.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 08, 2016
chigoizie7:

Please explain what u meant by, govt never lifted a finger with regards to what.

As for being certain that there was substantial investment in rice farming? Well, I know of Anambra,( so much investment, even though it will not cater for all our consumptions) ebonyi also, even kogi , it might not be enough,yes, but instead of encouraging them to do more, or making others who has not invested in it to go in owing to the evidence of profitability in the venture, but all govt can do is to bring competitions for them, (pikin Wey never begin walk, u wan make him be run, not just run but to compete in the olympics).

The FG reason for lifting the ban was not about sufficient investment in the rice production venture, but their inability to apprehend and catch smugglers operating at the borders. ( they were all like, since we can't catch these people bringing in this rice, let us lift ban on it,at least make we the collect small change from them) but they are myopic, because all our neighbours does not produce all those types of Taiwan or Spanish rice ( they are all imported into those countries and duty and other levies or taxes paid to those governments but it is we the Nigerians that will bear the final cost) if it is about sufficiency, they would have unbanned it, open the ports, earn revenue for FG and even checkmate on the conditions and durability of the products. But no, they want cheap money only aimed at killing the local manufactures.

If customs were doing their jobs well, those banned rice even the so called poisoned rice can never find its way near Naija borders.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by anonimi: 9:22pm On Oct 08, 2016
idesylvester:
So wat do u think... get married while leaving under d bridge... or plan ur wedin wen u mum n dad still feeds u.. bro r u thinkin wit ur d*ck.. mind u,car is nt compulsory

So anyone who does not own a house is living under the bridge?
Anyone who does not earn a six-figure salary is being fed by mum and dad, right?
I thought you were redeemable. My mistake.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3517331_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

2 Likes

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by omozu1(m): 9:23pm On Oct 08, 2016
chigoizie7:
Damn it.

Maybe I am the only one seeing this in another angle.

1. Nigerians so much love "IMPORTED GOODS".

2. FG banned the importation of rice.

As a result of 2, many people invested in rice businesses ( cultivation of local rice in large quantity and milling in local industries)

3. Many people started investing in rice cultivation and so on, so as to take the advantage to make more money, create employment, and even ease up a bit the demand for fx (fx being sourced for the importations of this very goods).

4. Investors have invested, purchase of lands, setting up machineries and are patiently waiting for cultivation time (many who invested in rice are saying that their produce will be ready by December).

5.all of a sudden, FG, just lifts ban on importation of same rice.

IMPLICATIONS.

1. What will be the fate of all those that ventured into rice farming and all that? I guess the market will no longer be favourable to them ( Nigerians love anything FOREIGN).

2. From what I read up there. It says that restrictions are on land/boarders" which means, it is allowed for Nigerians to import rice into countries like Benin republic, chad and even Niger, pay customs duty to their ports, pay all tax associated with importation in their country, clear the goods,(all these money is going into the coffers of the respective countries). And then brings it into Nigeria via the boarders and then still pay (who will bear the cost of all these spendings? I guess, the final consumers). Now who is cheating who and who is fooling who?

3. What if the market is not favourable to those who invested in rice farming, thereby making them loose or unable to recover the money spent. Do we still think these people will remain in business or fold up? ( govt is meant to create an enabling environment to investors who are investing en mass for the 1st timeM at least to boost their confidence in the govt).

To me, I think this is lack of govt policy( make a strong policy and stand my it.

To me, many people will not want to invest in Naija because of their lack of strong and firm policies,( they can twist and change anytime) what investors need is being steady with your policies. I think this will affect Naija in other sectors or areas.

In as much as it will ease some pains on the immediate , but what about long run?

It does not make sense to me, u told me to stand in the rain for some time to enable u fix the roof of my house properly, I accepted to, having in mind that it will be fixed properly so that it will last me a long time, but half way into the repairs, u asked me to come that u will fix it anyhow for me to stay for the mean time( u didn't do it properly, which means it will still spoil soon).

Anyways, I might be very wrong, but this is what I thought.

We have been enduring for some time, why not beg us to remain steadfast? As there is light at the end of the tunnel? It shows that they lacked the will power to stand to their words. No economy survives with policy and counter policies.
You are very correct
You are not wrong at all
My only problem is that this man buhari have employed so many persons who have no business in gov. Or management.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Mbcastrol(m): 9:23pm On Oct 08, 2016
Its all good at least they now thinking with their brains, I fear these people are learning on the job..
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by anonimi: 9:27pm On Oct 08, 2016
donphilopus:
You're the dull@rd here Mr Man. Buhari didn't tighten security at the borders because imported rice were harmful for consumption. What they said was that, as a result of the ban of rice, importers were importing rice with coffins and [b]mixing rice with other harmful substance[/b]s so they could evade arrest at the border.

When you MIX rice with other HARMFUL substance does the rice not become harmful for consumption
It looks like dull, dumb & deaf leaders attract equally handicapped followers!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3625430_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
chigoizie7:

Firstly the ban on rice importation was rash, uncalculated and very ill-timed. You have a country of over a hundred and fifty million hungry people and you just ban importation without even as much as any plans to set up the farms, talk less of actually cultivating the farms,

Even after the banning has there being any bold move by the FG to stimulate local production? Or you believe just banning rice would do the magic?

Forgive me if I don't share your optimism, but have you been to any of the the states you mentioned above to see things for yourself or you're letting all these media imagemaking deceive you?
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by anonimi: 9:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
chigoizie7:
Damn it.

Maybe I am the only one seeing this in another angle.

1. Nigerians so much love "IMPORTED GOODS".

2. FG banned the importation of rice.

As a result of 2, many people invested in rice businesses ( cultivation of local rice in large quantity and milling in local industries)

3. Many people started investing in rice cultivation and so on, so as to take the advantage to make more money, create employment, and even ease up a bit the demand for fx (fx being sourced for the importations of this very goods).

4. Investors have invested, purchase of lands, setting up machineries and are patiently waiting for cultivation time (many who invested in rice are saying that their produce will be ready by December).

5.all of a sudden, FG, just lifts ban on importation of same rice.

IMPLICATIONS.

1. What will be the fate of all those that ventured into rice farming and all that? I guess the market will no longer be favourable to them ( Nigerians love anything FOREIGN).

2. From what I read up there. It says that restrictions are on land/boarders" which means, it is allowed for Nigerians to import rice into countries like Benin republic, chad and even Niger, pay customs duty to their ports, pay all tax associated with importation in their country, clear the goods,(all these money is going into the coffers of the respective countries). And then brings it into Nigeria via the boarders and then still pay (who will bear the cost of all these spendings? I guess, the final consumers). Now who is cheating who and who is fooling who?

3. What if the market is not favourable to those who invested in rice farming, thereby making them loose or unable to recover the money spent. Do we still think these people will remain in business or fold up? ( govt is meant to create an enabling environment to investors who are investing en mass for the 1st timeM at least to boost their confidence in the govt).

To me, I think this is lack of govt policy( make a strong policy and stand my it.

To me, many people will not want to invest in Naija because of their lack of strong and firm policies,( they can twist and change anytime) what investors need is being steady with your policies. I think this will affect Naija in other sectors or areas.

In as much as it will ease some pains on the immediate , but what about long run?

It does not make sense to me, u told me to stand in the rain for some time to enable u fix the roof of my house properly, I accepted to, having in mind that it will be fixed properly so that it will last me a long time, but half way into the repairs, u asked me to come that u will fix it anyhow for me to stay for the mean time( u didn't do it properly, which means it will still spoil soon).

Anyways, I might be very wrong, but this is what I thought.

We have been enduring for some time, why not beg us to remain steadfast? As there is light at the end of the tunnel? It shows that they lacked the will power to stand to their words. No economy survives with policy and counter policies.

You are two much, damn it.
In fact you are three much.
Beautiful post. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Thomthom(m): 9:34pm On Oct 08, 2016
Nawa for Nigerians ooo when PMB ban the importation of rice we wail now he has lifted the ban we r still wailing...Nawao
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Luizkid(m): 9:37pm On Oct 08, 2016
the ban shouldn't have been in the first place cos we ain't ready, if u're familiar with seme border u'll know those customs men are just enriching themselves and intimidating poor market women yet d rice keeps coming in. This decision can never affect local production because if the quality is improved i see no reason to buy a bag of foreign rice for 15k wen i can get local rice for 7k
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by idesylvester(m): 9:37pm On Oct 08, 2016
My frnd getin a hux doesn't mean u must buy or build bt having a home to lay ur head and if u can afford to buy 1 then there's notin wrong. U n I can catergoricaly say Nigeria can afford all that I said if u don't knw pls knw nw... Nigeria is like a man that needs a wife and then u give him 200 billion naira 2 achieve that and all he does is to plan to kill d whole women leavin in his land as a way to bring foreign women closer to him. Do u knw hw many people v died due to the cost of prices bro,e better 4 u no mean say na everywhr.. sha thank God 4 ur own
anonimi:

So anyone who does not own a house is living under the bridge?
Anyone who does not earn a six-figure salary is being fed by mum and dad, right?
I thought you were redeemable. My mistake.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3517331_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by anonimi: 9:39pm On Oct 08, 2016
SnowJay92:
Firstly the ban on rice importation was rash, uncalculated and very ill-timed. You have a country of over a hundred and fifty million hungry people and you just ban importation without even as much as any plans to set up the farms, talk less of actually cultivating the farms,

Even after the banning has there being any bold move by the FG to stimulate local production? Or you believe just banning rice would do the magic?

Forgive me if I don't share your optimism, but have you been to any of the the states you mentioned above to see things for yourself or you're letting all these media imagemaking deceive you?

Did you ever hear that NECESSITY is the mother of invention?
I hope that I don't need to explain how that applies in this context, although I can try if you confess that you don't understand.
Meanwhile you may wish to take note of the below news items.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2085409_hh_jpeg07b0e6e05a4624e7545331a83b844508

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2098905_agriculturereform_jpega059f1921e04629987b0d142212d4df7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ChQUAmuNaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2stmabIVBw

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Melonny(m): 9:43pm On Oct 08, 2016
Well, the short term effects of this is the price per bag will reduce thus making per bag cheap and affordable but the local producers will suffer.. lifting the ban will encourage dumping which will give the local producers no chance(reduced market share)
We all understand the law of demand and supply..Not buying from local producers will lessen the demand for Naira and buying imported rice will lead to more supply of Naira in exchange for the exporters home currency(hedging technique). More demand- high price while more supply- low price
Conclusion- Naira's value will weaken the more at the long run.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by anonimi: 9:44pm On Oct 08, 2016
Luizkid:
the ban shouldn't have been in the first place cos we ain't ready, if u're familiar with seme border u'll know those customs men are just enriching themselves and intimidating poor market women yet d rice keeps coming in. This decision can never affect local production because if the quality is improved i see no reason to buy a bag of foreign rice for 15k wen i can get local rice for 7k

WHEN will we be ready?
HOW can we get ourselves ready?
Or should we remain unready for ever ni?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855735_twooptionswallpaper10579600_jpeg618d634ba6258d93161d282181afdc68

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by justy15: 9:46pm On Oct 08, 2016
this government n policy Summersault are like bread n butter. they act before thinking I still don't know what our offence is that God decided to punish us with bubu.

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by chigoizie7(m): 9:47pm On Oct 08, 2016
SnowJay92:

Sure, u can not. I mean sharing in my optimism. I have been to two different rice farms in Anambra.

But let's assume I have not. Is unbanning it for just the border entries the right way to do it? I mean, from all indications, they are making things worse.

Look at it this way. Ordinarily, rice is sold for over 20k now, why? Fx rates, duties paid to all those neighbouring countries that allows border crossing of goods and their risks.

Do I think the cost will reduce? No, why? because the above reasons will still play out, but in this cases extra cost will be added ( the ones officially paid to customs at the borders).

Why not un ban it totally? I mean, so that it can be brought in through the ports, so that if not for anything, let it generate revenue for FG because one way or the other, this same rice still finds its way into the shores of Naija.

because it has been un banned, more pressure will be on the fx both on parallel markets and official CBN rates, ( already, we have our BOP on deficit). More demand of fx increases the prices, in essence, the costs of these rice will still not be affordable, as for availability of rice now? Yes, rice is readily available, it is just too expenssive.

Like u said, u must not agree with me.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by alanbolo(m): 9:49pm On Oct 08, 2016
Customs removes rice from import restriction list at land borders

By NAN | Publish Date: Oct 7 2015 6:57PM

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/customs-removes-rice-from-import-restriction-list-at-land-borders/114013.html#OLwToQDejq2dK4Eh.99

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by anonimi: 9:49pm On Oct 08, 2016
Melonny:
Well, the short term effects of this is the price per bag will reduce thus making per bag cheap and affordable but the local producers will suffer.. lifting the ban will encourage dumping which will give the local producers no chance (reduced market share)
We all understand the law of demand and supply..Not buying from local producers will lessen the demand for Naira and buying imported rice will demand more supply of Naira in exchange for the exporters home currency(hedging technique). More demand- high price while more supply- low price
Conclusion- Naira's value will weaken the more at the long run.

Apart from the weakened Naira value there is also the effect of greater UNEMPLOYMENT because we are simply buying food that we do not grow by ourselves and shipping out to oyinbo people the money we get from Niger Delta oil shared monthly.
Stupid is what WE are. No doubt!!!
Anyway, at least Bubu will fulfill one promise in REVERSE order. embarassed embarassed

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4174421_apcchangeoo_jpg_jpega235077daee0bdb4b035de418ce32906

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by austin2all: 9:52pm On Oct 08, 2016
agabusta:

Abeg keep quiet. You people were the one screaming that his policies drove up the price of rice, now he has agreed to the pampering that the consumerist nation Nigeria wants and you are still wailing

YOU NO GET SENSE AT ALL. BUHARI GO BETTER PASS YOU I SWEAR.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Are You In Lagos? Don't Visit The ATM On Friday !! / Stay Away From Lcredit, They Are Worst Than Sokoloan / Sani Dangote Is Dead! Vice President, Dangote Group Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.