Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:52 PM

Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice (51907 Views)

Igede Lady Removes Shoes To Enter ATM Cubicle (Photo) / FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste / FG Lifts Ban On 41 Imported Items (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Bigii(m): 9:55pm On Oct 08, 2016
donphilopus:

You're the dull@rd here Mr Man. Buhari didn't tighten security at the borders because imported rice were harmful for consumption. What they said was that, as a result of the ban of rice, importers were importing rice with coffins and mixing rice with other harmful substances so they could evade arrest at the border.

Try and use your brain next time. You don't just rush to term the President a dull@rd at any given opportunity.
May God save u from this your sickness called Zombism. undecided

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by austin2all: 10:05pm On Oct 08, 2016
donphilopus:

You're the dull@rd here Mr Man. Buhari didn't tighten security at the borders because imported rice were harmful for consumption. What they said was that, as a result of the ban of rice, importers were importing rice with coffins and mixing rice with other harmful substances so they could evade arrest at the border.

Try and use your brain next time. You don't just rush to term the President a dull@rd at any given opportunity.

BUT IS HE NOT A DULLARD
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Adesiji77: 10:05pm On Oct 08, 2016
BerryBlaster:
We are so vulnerable in this country. Did anybody bother checking the date of this news?  Publish Date: Oct 7 2015 6:57PM

I noticed too. Googled the key words and saw the link below

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/customs-lifts-ban-importation-rice/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Melonny(m): 10:06pm On Oct 08, 2016
Placing a ban on imported rice products, for me, was a laudable idea at first. you know, we have to build our economy..The government didn't get it all right. it shouldn't just ban the products all of a sudden, it should have estimated how many bags we consume; the capacity of local producers and what to import per year. it seem we were doing just fine with the increased price and hoping one day, the local producers will get to produce at full capacity but we are back at level one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Collins0609(m): 10:10pm On Oct 08, 2016
Good development.thank u mr president
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 08, 2016
chigoizie7:

Sure, u can not. I mean sharing in my optimism. I have been to two different rice farms in Anambra.

But let's assume I have not. Is unbanning it for just the border entries the right way to do it? I mean, from all indications, they are making things worse.

Look at it this way. Ordinarily, rice is sold for over 20k now, why? Fx rates, duties paid to all those neighbouring countries that allows border crossing of goods and their risks.

Do I think the cost will reduce? No, why? because the above reasons will still play out, but in this cases extra cost will be added ( the ones officially paid to customs at the borders).

Why not un ban it totally? I mean, so that it can be brought in through the ports, so that if not for anything, let it generate revenue for FG because one way or the other, this same rice still finds its way into the shores of Naija.

because it has been un banned, more pressure will be on the fx both on parallel markets and official CBN rates, ( already, we have our BOP on deficit). More demand of fx increases the prices, in essence, the costs of these rice will still not be affordable, as for availability of rice now? Yes, rice is readily available, it is just too expenssive.

Like u said, u must not agree with me.

OK, maybe I have some sightseeing to do myself, but really it's not like I'm rooting for the unbanning, I'm only saying banning imports in the first place was premature, and it should have started with say high import duties to discourage the importation and consumption, while the government sincerely invests in, encourage and stimulate local production then gradually ban importation after we must have achieved sufficiency, or something close to it.......since a cup of rice rose to over hundred naira a cup, do you know the untold hardship the poor people have had to endure, this goes beyond boardroom policies you know. And I insist the FG is not doing enough to end the dependence on foreign rice any time soon. Are you into agriculture? Would like us to talk more.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by omocalabar(m): 10:17pm On Oct 08, 2016
TPAND:

You are just as smart as Buhari, read the reason you typed there and see if it makes any sense to you.

And please that's not the reason security against importation of rice via land was tightened.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by omocalabar(m): 10:17pm On Oct 08, 2016
TPAND:

You are just as smart as Buhari, read the reason you typed there and see if it makes any sense to you.

And please that's not the reason security against importation of rice via land was tightened.
pls stop exchanging words with dat dullard...its not worth it
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 08, 2016
anonimi:

Did you ever hear that NECESSITY is the mother of invention?
I hope that I don't need to explain how that applies in this context, although I can try if you confess that you don't understand.
Meanwhile you may wish to take note of the below news items.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2085409_hh_jpeg07b0e6e05a4624e7545331a83b844508

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2098905_agriculturereform_jpega059f1921e04629987b0d142212d4df7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ChQUAmuNaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2stmabIVBw

All these were in place when there wasn't a total ban on imports, then suddenly most of the incentives stopped, and boom, outright ban on imports, so what really are you implying Mr genius??
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by chigoizie7(m): 10:24pm On Oct 08, 2016
M
SnowJay92:

OK, maybe I have some sightseeing to do myself, but really it's not like I'm rooting for the unbanning, I'm only saying banning imports in the first place was premature, and it should have started with say high import duties to discourage the importation and consumption, while the government sincerely invests in, encourage and stimulate local production then gradually ban importation after we must have achieved sufficiency, or something close to it.......since a cup of rice rose to over hundred naira a cup, do you know the untold hardship the poor people have had to endure, this goes beyond boardroom policies you know. And I insist the FG is not doing enough to end the dependence on foreign rice any time soon. Are you into agriculture? Would like us to talk more.

Yes,but fish farming.

They shouldn't have banned in the 1st place, but since they did, and people already started to invest in the agaric sector with regards to rice, the worst thing they did was un banning, they would have allowed things the way they are.

They are discouraging investors, those ones that will wait to see how the market is going b4 they invest.

Their policy and counter policy is very bad for any economy, it does not grow the economy,

Whatever policy they take or make, let them stand by it, that is my point.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by chibuzorAbia: 10:24pm On Oct 08, 2016
Mrjo:
u need medication

U need it more than I do. Guess you are one of those waitng for a Jewish messiah to come and solve our self made self perpetuated problems. We are going to leave our children the same legacy of hunger, poverty and hopelessness.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by ifycoly: 10:25pm On Oct 08, 2016
Guys somehow this is good news to me, let's look at it this way, do any of us believe local producers will bring down their price as we all thinks, let the final consumers make their choice, if imported rice and local rice comes into play, imported N20,000 and local N10,000 which will you go for, remember imported will be paying huge tax while local producers less tax in which ever way local will still have the upper hand the good news will be the competition that comes with it there by giving hope to the mass for their choices
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Earth2Metahuman: 10:31pm On Oct 08, 2016
So we suffered for nothing undecided
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Zenlife: 10:32pm On Oct 08, 2016
agabusta:

Abeg keep quiet. You people were the one screaming that his policies drove up the price of rice, now he has agreed to the pampering that the consumerist nation Nigeria wants and you are still wailing

Not exactly
Simply a matter of inconsistency and policy summersaults.

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by chigoizie7(m): 10:32pm On Oct 08, 2016
ifycoly:
Guys somehow this is good news to me, let's look at it this way, do any of us believe local producers will bring down their price as we all thinks, let the final consumers make their choice, if imported rice and local rice comes into play, imported N20,000 and local N10,000 which will you go for, remember imported will be paying huge tax while local producers less tax in which ever way local will still have the upper hand the good news will be the competition that comes with it there by giving hope to the mass for their choices

Also remember the cost of production here is very high, e.g. Energy,
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by koboko69: 10:33pm On Oct 08, 2016
TPAND:
Buhari is so inconsistent and disoriented.

Just this week, you tighten security at the borders against imported rice via land saying they were harmful for consumption, today you lifting the ban on imported rice by land.

Sai Baba is a typical aboki, a pathological no-brainer

As usual. Kindergarten submission cheesy
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by TPAND(f): 10:38pm On Oct 08, 2016
koboko69:

As usual. Kindergarten submission cheesy

Do I have to reply someone who has pledged his life to blindly support Buhari sink or swim. How old are you, If i may ask. I need that to estimate your IQ
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Zenlife: 10:39pm On Oct 08, 2016
Keneking:
Christmas is just 7weeks from now.

Useless actions in the past

Really? 7weeks from now, October 8th?
Counting is truly a baaitch...
How many Christmas in a year sir?
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by labbyboi(m): 10:55pm On Oct 08, 2016
LMandela:
Okay o
Edited: No body tell me say I be FTC fa! choi!
. Let me tell you the factors you have to consider before you counter the FG move on lifting ban on rice importation. 1 You should always remember the population of the country to the local made farmers that are investing on rice farming. 2. The consumption rate of rice itself. 3. It is discourage monopoly and gives room for choice. 4. It will serve as an avenue to raise revenue. 5... and so on.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 08, 2016
chigoizie7:
M

Yes,but fish farming.

They shouldn't have banned in the 1st place, but since they did, and people already started to invest in the agaric sector with regards to rice, the worst thing they did was un banning, they would have allowed things the way they are.

They are discouraging investors, those ones that will wait to see how the market is going b4 they invest.

Their policy and counter policy is very bad for any economy, it does not grow the economy,

Whatever policy they take or make, let them stand by it, that is my point.

I agree, falling back on the policy is more dangerous, they should have gone for massive investment, partnerships and encourage private investors!

Can I have your whatsapp number?

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by Akinlady(f): 11:01pm On Oct 08, 2016
I don't t think it would affect local rice production if its done well. Government must have done its homework to know that the homegrown rice will not be enough for the Nigerian populace. Moreover evey product has its own market. I like our local rice, Ofada etc. imported rice will not stop me from buying it
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by koboko69: 11:10pm On Oct 08, 2016
TPAND:

Do I have to reply someone who has pledged his life to blindly support Buhari sink or swim. How old are you, If i may ask. I need that to estimate your IQ
cheesy
I am.older than the first born in ur family. Do one estimate IQ? cheesy. These are clowns that call Buhari a dullard. See the Nursery gramma this clown is speaking. PDP recruit, the worst since time immemorial
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by ifycoly: 11:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
chigoizie7:

Also remember the cost of production here is very high, e.g. Energy,
well maybe we just have to compare it with the imported tax duty, and hoping with time our energy problem will be solve

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by micfoley: 11:31pm On Oct 08, 2016
One step forward, ten steps backwards

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by TPAND(f): 11:33pm On Oct 08, 2016
koboko69:
cheesy
I am.older than the first born in ur family. Do one estimate IQ? cheesy. These are clowns that call Buhari a dullard. See the Nursery gramma this clown is speaking. PDP recruit, the worst since time immemorial

You are so juvenile.

I'm sorry I defer from joining issues with you. Seems you skipped school, shamefully you display your ignorance online and open your rotten guts to say do one estimate IQ can

Well this buttresses my reservations that your mental age is dated in seconds. So irrespective of your chronological age, you cerebral acumen is a disaster.

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by aspirebig: 12:03am On Oct 09, 2016
Who removal epp?

I still hear that half bag is 10k and full bag is 20-22k for stallion.Dont know about the other quality or brand.

Until a bag is sold st N7, 500 for a good quaity like Stallion not reebagged ooo.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by solok: 12:21am On Oct 09, 2016
Very ill advised!
Horrible policy summersault!!
They shld have waited till after xmas!

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by bakila: 12:54am On Oct 09, 2016
paulGrundy:

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/customs-removes-rice-from-import-restriction-list-at-land-borders/114013.html
@Op, is this mischief? Is it pure deceit or attempt to see how people jump to comment or your being just dumb? Ishilove, Lasaticalala, naijacutee, Dominique,POD et all please remove this expired and toxic rice from the front page or mark it as STALE NEWS.
The sauce is made up 2015 expired tomatoes and dadawa.

1 Like

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by bakila: 1:05am On Oct 09, 2016
Bigii:

May God save u from this your sickness called Zombism. undecided
Or wailing blindly to a 2015 story, which you are doing. To continue to do so will make you a wailing mastubator.
Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by degenius(m): 1:12am On Oct 09, 2016
Hope this will clear the air
From Customs verified official facebook page

Re: Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice by BobUg28(m): 1:28am On Oct 09, 2016
Grundig:
I've got mixed feelings about this. But, most importantly, there'd be rice, CHEAP RICE this December. Shouldn't be more than 12k per bag.

We pray so!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Naira Scarcity Wahala, What I Went Through This Morning / Are You In Lagos? Don't Visit The ATM On Friday !! / Pound To Naira: Can You Believe This Tiny Coin Is N780? (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.