Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,840 members, 7,806,361 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland - Properties (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland (38037 Views)

Hot And Affordable Properties In Lagos State For Sale / Young Man Laments As Flood Carries Away His Properties In Akwa Ibom. Photos / Do You Know The Land Debts You Are About To Inherit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by coolviv: 10:36am On Oct 09, 2016
OILSOUP:

OK AS I SAY I NO GO GIVE MY DAUGHTER ANYTHING, COME AND CARRY ME.

IN NIGERIA LAWS ARE MADE BUT UNENFORCEABLE.

MR BODE, IGBOS CANNOT DISOBEY THEIR ANCESTOR AND FOLLOW A YORUBA DECEIVER.

U HAVE JUST WASTED UR TIME, WE THEIR FATHER WILL EXCLUDE THEM OURSELVES.

U CANNOT LOVE MY DAUGHTER MORE THAN ME.

Speak for yourself and your pitiful female lineage. As for me and mine. .whether boy or girl, they shall have equal share. If the boy doesn't like it, he should go and till the soil and make his own money for his own children. That is God's assignment for men.

Remember that these your same ancestors no allow woman go school to become doctor or banker. We for no get Okonjo-Iweala or Dora Akunyili if we listened to dead and forgotten ancestors...

6 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Gifthappy(f): 10:42am On Oct 09, 2016
OILSOUP:

Everybody claiming to be igbo these days, even one from kebbi. smh!
It doesn't matter if from Kebbi. This is Nigeria and one can live anywhere he or she wishes. If I like I move to Chad or Washington DC and will still say am Igbo because that's my Origin. Although, I cannot change where I come from but I can choose where I wanna be and belong. Truth is always bitter.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by genieluv(f): 10:57am On Oct 09, 2016
Seriously i am very ashamed of Igbo people.
How can they allow this kind of ancient backward culture to survive till date in this modern 21st century?

Igbos are the greatest hypocrites i have come across in this life. These are the same igbos who will be quick to castigate the Hausas for their laws against women.

Shame on these people called Igbos and they claim to be the most educated and enlightened people in Nigeria. Useless loud-mouthed imbeciles.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Gifthappy(f): 11:00am On Oct 09, 2016
chiamaka21:
k keep quite. wht is good for the goose is good for the gander. if this story is from the north. my Igbo brother will have come out with dere dick measurement telling us how the North is backward. yet we are the most hypocritical tribe in Nigeria.
Ammie nwa are you seeing what am saw? This Igbo boys calling us temporal being are still the ones who can't keep their acclaimed permanent home in order. No wonder they can never do without the UMUADAS in igbo land and most judgement cannot be ruled without involving the women folks when it is really tough. Oya let Igbo men go and hold August meeting let me see... Yeye fowls

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by ClinicalHope(f): 11:14am On Oct 09, 2016
Young03:
whether they like it or not. traditionally a female can't inherit a land in Igbo land

aru!

Igbo land z not Bini where famales have rights to lands n houses

Igbo aju kwa
Aru gini? What is wrong if a daughter has a share in her father's properties? Did she not come out from the same loins as the son? You want tell me you have not seen a daughter who has made good use of her inheritance or a daughter who has helped her husband or family with it? Even with our igbo culture we acclaim we fail to work together or even help one of our own, because of greed we cannot tell ourselves the truth. Biko there is no abomination if your sister have a share in your father's properties if she is wise and productive. Dalu!

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 11:21am On Oct 09, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
This is a welcome development

Nigeria Judicial system is miserable. Case of 1981 is decided in 2016, a whopping 35years after.

Gadamit

TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:13pm On Oct 08

In Ijawland women inherit

That is y we have customary court, just becos it is practiced in Ijawland does not make it right and mandatory that it must be followed by Igbos who have their own customary law.

I am glad u noted Nigeria Judiciary is miserable, u should also note that most of your judges are not properly educated about the mechanism of the legal system. Most of their decision are ultra vires decision.

Certain things should not be celebrated as a landmark development when it is actually a step backward.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by genieluv(f): 11:26am On Oct 09, 2016
alfarouq:

I have always told people that the best form of inheritance is such that for every onething the female child inherits, the male child has double and for every one thing the male child inherits, the female child has half, that is justice.
The male child has more responsibity than the female child whose responsibility has to be taken care of by her husband.
The irony of it is that the people who have mostly accused of having cavemen mentality are Igbos. Thank God for technology, I never suspected that their system is worst.
Imagine in 2016, they are still debating on whether a female child can inherit her parents

Don't mind these crude little igbo savages. They are the most uncivilised people but their mouths are so wide to insult hausas and yorubas as backward people.

These people are such annoying hypocrites.

Imagine a culture that so much victimizes widows. Imagine a case where a woman is widowed and she is forced to drink the water used to bathe her late husband corpse just to prove her inocency. What kind of madness could be more than that?

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by olagamalin(m): 11:31am On Oct 09, 2016
deliveryboy:

Several year ago, nairaland beamed with intellectual contents where you could find answers to many/any question, I had hope for Nigeria and my generation of Africans. How did things get this low, imagining your thought process is emotionally upsetting and there are now majority of crass people on this forum. The once revered forum has ended up recruiting less than mediocre folks under its roofs. Is this a societal problem in the larger sphere of life in this country. When I compare the comments I read on today's nairaland and the discussions I watch on Republic of China's CCTV channel and I feel sorry for the black race.

Honestly, Nairaland is finished. Full of jaundiced comments.... Imagine the fellow commenting in caps turning a Fundamental Human Right issue to a tribal issue. The freedom from discrimination is guaranteed by Chapter 4 of the Constitution and by relevant Global instruments. I mean, The Supreme Court was constituted by 7 Judges in this case and people here have conveniently made Justice Vivour the scapegoat cos he read the leading Judgment.

The Archaic and highly degrading tradition cannot stand anywhere, so there's no point arguing the fine points (which are non existent). And its also funny cos majority of the tribal bigots here have almost nothing to inherit .

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by olagamalin(m): 11:34am On Oct 09, 2016
DavidEsq:

It was decided in 2014. Don't know why it's just being posted here. Well, since it ain't about boobs or snake.....
Ukeje v. Ukeje (2014) LPELR-22724 (SC) ...

My Exact surprise. ...funny enough, I vividly remember the news getting to nairaland frontpage back then. The Admins are just lax.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by genieluv(f): 11:35am On Oct 09, 2016
uncleade:
never knew that the Igbos are so PRIMITIVES. What a pity for girls or women who comes to this lovely world through that wicked race.

You can say this again bro.
So unfortunate for the igbo girls. And shame on their miserable men for claiming what they are not.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by kishimi8(m): 11:39am On Oct 09, 2016
Gifthappy:
Thank you Kishimi tell them. That's why am so not marrying an Igbo even though am an Igbo lady as most them are so idiotic most especially those of them that has never crossed Niger bridge in their lives before. Imagine how their male fight over inheritance and against themselves but when it comes to taking care of their deceased brother's orphans and wives they are zero. Only very few of them take such great responsibility. Again there females are the ones who bothers to maintain the so called property they fight over or taking care of their widowed mother more the yeye sons who are after who to kill over a plot of land. Insha Allah my children will not have one stupid igbo uncle to drag properties with them.

Well it's just ironic, they insult us, call us names, ,
It's like the saying you point 1 finger 10 are pointing back at you,
Very unfortunate, so if a female child does not get married or gets divorced, husband dies etc she will just become stranded, what happens to a man without a male child? Android are even saying they are temporal beings, quite surprising,

We'll to each his own.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Malawian(m): 11:39am On Oct 09, 2016
Gifthappy:
You are a goat Ewu! You that will never work hard to get your own but rather wait to inherit what papa left. No wonder thuggery, ritual, kidnapping and all sort of atrocities is at large in your Igbo land.
If i catch you enh, i will impregnate you and nothing will happen.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by genieluv(f): 11:40am On Oct 09, 2016
OILSOUP:

My sons have my blessing to send her to join me in the grave if she dares.

I will marry the ingrate there.

Jesus Christ. Is this a human being or a demonic creature? How can a modern day human being say such barbaric things? God, no wonder murder cases are on the rise. Some people are supposed to be in cages, chains and wildlife parks. *spits*

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by arazanbal: 11:41am On Oct 09, 2016
Young03:
whether they like it or not. traditionally a female can't inherit a land in Igbo land

aru!

Igbo aju kwa

dnt compire bini tradition with una own ooooo,the binis to get level ooo
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 09, 2016
genieluv:
Seriously i am very ashamed of Igbo people.
How can they allow this kind of ancient backward culture to survive till date in this modern 21st century?

Igbos are the greatest hypocrites i have come across in this life. These are the same igbos who will be quick to castigate the Hausas for their laws against women.

Shame on these people called Igbos and they claim to be the most educated and enlightened people in Nigeria. Useless loud-mouthed imbeciles.
you are bitter and uncut in your expression. Are you not worse than the people you are referring to?

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by mich24(m): 11:50am On Oct 09, 2016
Onuku, why not make your own sense and leave others with their nonsense, ofeke
wizzakosh:
ode, ppl are talking sense, you are talking senseless.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by corektchic: 12:22pm On Oct 09, 2016
Young03:

aru!

Igbo aju kwa
Jukwa isi gi there! Lazy fool! So after giving birth to a daughter, you will not ensure that her future is secured after your death. Is she not a human like your son's. If this is the case then I'll pray strongly against the existence of Biafra
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Ndiofe: 12:32pm On Oct 09, 2016
corektchic:

Jukwa isi gi there! Lazy fool! So after giving birth to a daughter, you will not ensure that her future is secured after your death. Is she not a human like your son's. If this is the case then I'll pray strongly against the existence of Biafra

Igbos are strongly opposed to osu but yet it is still practiced, how much more a harmless customary law that majority are in favour. Nobody will follow Nigeria supreme court over igbo customary law, whether Nigeria or no Nigeria.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Gifthappy(f): 12:44pm On Oct 09, 2016
Malawian:

abegi Malawian abi Italian go o.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 12:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
Gifthappy:
It doesn't matter if from Kebbi. This is Nigeria and one can live anywhere he or she wishes. If I like I move to Chad or Washington DC and will still say am Igbo because that's my Origin. Although, I cannot change where I come from but I can choose where I wanna be and belong. Truth is always bitter.

Gifthappy:
abegi Malawian abi Italian go o.

MARRY MALAWIAN, U CAN INHERIT HIS PROPERTY, FORGET ABOUT DADDY LAND, DAT ONE IS FOR MUMMY AND THE BOYZ. grin

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 12:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
Malawian:

EZIOKWU!
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Kaysalas(m): 12:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
oglalasioux:

That's what the[b] authors[/b] want you to believe. But we know better.
funny u, in your own line of reasoning....the authors want us to believe what they have written is a blatant lie...hehehehehe
u my friend are a funny dude
wink wink wink
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by almarthins(m): 1:01pm On Oct 09, 2016
Young03:

aru!

Igbo aju kwa

Arrant nonsense! So woman/girls are not human abi? Look here oga arogant, I am ashame of people who still think backward in time. Tradition didn't make itself, man made tradition. so man got to change it when it has become too achaic to uphold.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Gifthappy(f): 1:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
kishimi8:

Well it's just ironic, they insult us, call us names, ,
It's like the saying you point 1 finger 10 are pointing back at you,
Very unfortunate, so if a female child does not get married or gets divorced, husband dies etc she will just become stranded, what happens to a man without a male child? Android are even saying they are temporal beings, quite surprising,

We'll to each his own.
Don't mind that one he is a lazy cow. With such mentality I pity his sisters. That's why some Igbo women who are frustrated in marriage fears to seek divorce and go back home rather she remains, suffer abuse and eventually die in the process because if she returns home the tigers and lions called men and so called heirs will mock and frustrate them even further for the fear that she might partake as gift for her upkeep from that which is left for them to share. Greedy people killing themselves over inheritances they did the work for.. Please follow and take a good look at the thread you'll their likes talking trash

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 1:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
Gifthappy:
Don't mind that one he is a lazy cow. With such mentality I pity his sisters. That's why some Igbo women who are frustrated in marriage fears to seek divorce and go back home rather she remains, suffer abuse and eventually die in the process because if she returns home the tigers and lions called men and so called heirs will mock and frustrate them even further for the fear that she might partake as gift for her upkeep from that which is left for them to share. Greedy people killing themselves over inheritances they did the work for.. Please follow and take a good look at the thread you'll their likes talking trash

The bolded is not true, as women who are divorced are given a share in their father property.

Would u like ur husband sisters to come and drag property with u in your husband house?

Can u go and drag property with them in their husband house?

Igbo women these days that cannot stand her husband family merely visiting are talking about sharing property with them and possibly living permanently with them. Abeg reason properly joor!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 1:23pm On Oct 09, 2016
Na only two question i ask, she has take off. If she is really our sister, i will like her to answer so i can understand her better.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Gifthappy(f): 1:38pm On Oct 09, 2016
OILSOUP:

MARRY MALAWIAN, U CAN INHERIT HIS PROPERTY, FORGET ABOUT DADDY LAND, DAT ONE IS FOR MUMMY AND THE BOYZ. grin
No qualms but...
Glory to God. Actually this October marks exact 12years of Dad's demise and his soul is sure resting in peace because there's no battle of who owns this or that... Thanks to my big brother for his fatherly role who believes in giving everyone the best and mostly empowering we the female children. He ain't greedy and I need no land but stores and a house for rental purposes is not bad for the girls even businesses for her to manage. All of us four siblings are best in supporting each other and that's the more reason our mama is still alive and smiling.
All I am saying is that Igbo male folks should be more considerate to their daughters with regards to distribution of things inherited. . Your sister may be the one to look after your children tomorrow when you are no more much better than your brother because women naturally thinks of home and families and cared so much of their own more than men so don't hurt your sisters because of things money can buy. No one knows tomorrow. K' odiri anyi n'mma isie..

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by cutechi(f): 1:48pm On Oct 09, 2016
WinningSun:

sorry sis. the law will fight for you.
the law doesn't need to fight for me.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Gifthappy(f): 1:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
OILSOUP:

The bolded is not true, as women who are divorced are given a share in their father property.

Would u like ur husband sisters to come and drag property with u in your husband house?

Can u go and drag property with them in their husband house?

Igbo women these days that cannot stand her husband family merely visiting are talking about sharing property with them and possibly living permanently with them. Abeg reason properly joor!

oga my husband is my husband and that which he toiled for and got for himself with the help of God with I as a witness and possibly a contributor no woman or man from his family will come dragging when I have his children to take care of even with out children.
Secondly, any issue concerning him and his sisters over their father's belonging say considered their own family matter which I may not directly have a say in but can privately advise my husband.
Even the divorced given a share depends on what she meets after her return otherwise if there's nothing left unshared she can be supported willingly. Also going to drag anything with a woman in her husbands house is utterly out of questions. What for? And where was the person when those things were being gotten? Imagine some thieves who hate to visit North but when their kinsmen returns from a journey from the north they are the first to line up in his as early as 6a.m to collect gift of beans, onion, kuli kuli etc as if you owe them. Also when death occurs they want to inherit the wealth he made from a foreign land neglecting his children.
OILSOUP I KNOW DAMN TOO WELL WHAT AM TALKING ABOUT OK? AM NOT JUST BLABBING FOR ARGUMENT SAKES.... I have walked through this way ok? But guess what? We won!
#fuckAllTheVulturesWaitingToFeastOnIheritancesWithoutMakingEffortToAchieveTheirs#

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by kechywillz(m): 2:00pm On Oct 09, 2016
There's what I don't understand here,if the supreme Court has such powers to rule customary laws,what is it waiting to rule on Sharia courts that allows a thief's hand to be amputated when caught in crime? For those bashing our laws,its our laws n u can't change that,respect our culture as well u have cultural practices others respect

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 2:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
Gifthappy:
oga my husband is my husband and that which he toiled for and got for himself with the help of God with I as a witness and possibly a contributor no woman or man from his family will come dragging when I have his children to take of even with out children.
oga my husband is my husband and that which he toiled for and got for himself with the help of God with I as a witness and possibly a contributor no woman or man from his family will come dragging when I have his children to take care of even with out children.
Secondly, any issue concerning him and his sisters over their father's belonging say considered their own family matter which I may not directly have a say in but can privately advise my husband.
b]Even the divorced given a share depends on what she meets after her return otherwise if there's nothing left unshared she can be supported willingly.
Also going to drag anything with a woman in her husbands house is utterly out of questions. What for? And where was the person when those things were being gotten? Imagine some thieves who hate to visit North but when their kinsmen returns from a journey from the north they are the first to line up in his as early as 6a.m to collect gift of beans, onion, kuli kuli etc as if you owe them. Also when death occurs they want to inherit the wealth he made from a foreign land neglecting his children.
OILSOUP I KNOW DAMN TOO WELL WHAT AM TALKING ABOUT OK? AM NOT JUST BLABBING FOR ARGUMENT SAKES.... I have walked through this way ok? But guess what? We won!
#fuckAllTheVulturesWaitingToFeastOnIheritancesWithoutMakingEffortToAchieveTheirs#. [/b]
[

Gifthappy
No qualms but...
Glory to God. Actually this October marks exact 12years of Dad's demise and his soul is sure resting in peace because there's no battle of who owns this or that... Thanks to my big brother for his fatherly role who believes in giving everyone the best and mostly empowering we the female children. He ain't greedy and I need no land but stores and a house for rental purposes is not bad for the girls even businesses for her to manage. All of us four siblings are best in supporting each other and that's the more reason our mama is still alive and smiling.
All I am saying is that Igbo male folks should be more considerate to their daughters with regards to distribution of things inherited. . Your sister may be the one to look after your children tomorrow when you are no more much better than your brother because women naturally thinks of home and families and cared so much of their own more than men so don't hurt your sisters because of things money can buy. No one knows tomorrow. K' odiri anyi n'mma isie.

So it is fair to conclude that Igbo women want same share in their father property as the boyz?

Does this include ancestral property? Once ur father dies are u lot going to sell everything so u can share?

Or will the girls relocate from their husband state to live on ancestral land in their father state?

I am keeping an open mind and listening.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 09, 2016
KingRex1:
Lol nah, but I been do land law as a minor course.
How u dey? Happy birthday in arrears.. Hope u had fun
Lolz, really? In uniben? Am fine o and you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

My Portharcourt Eneka 6 Flats Project. / Kindly Help Me Critique This four Bedroom Bungalow Plan / 12 Mtr DEEP& 6Mtrs DEEP PILLING BY MOORE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.