Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Boko Haram: Friend Weeps As Young Major Is Killed In Ambush - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Boko Haram: Friend Weeps As Young Major Is Killed In Ambush (598 Views)

Big Python Killed In A Flour Mill In Apapa, Lagos (Photos) / Buhari Weeps As UK Exposes Amaechi’s Loots, Probes Apc’s Campaign Funds / Buhari Weeps As UK Exposes Amaechi Loots, Probes Apc's Campaign Funds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Friend Weeps As Young Major Is Killed In Ambush by passyhansome(m): 7:48pm On Oct 08, 2016
The very bitter story of one young and brilliant army Major Erasmus whose life was cut short in a Boko Haram attack, has been told by a friend who in shock cannot bear the news of his buddy’s demise.

According to the horrified friend named Raphael Edem, the sad news of Major Eramus’ demise, filtered in today, October 7.
Edem, who is a media aide to Governor Udom Emmanuel, took to his Facebook wall to pour his heart out regarding the irreplaceable loss of his friend and a Nigerian hero in his own right.

According to Edems account, Major Erasmus was at one time the Second-in-Command at the Nigerian Army Brigade in Ibagwa, Abak Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom state, until he was posted to Maiduguri, some months ago, to join troops in the eye of the storm, where the Boko Haram war raged the most.

Erasmus unfortunately lost his live to the insurgents, having fought gallantly; leaving tears to flow endlessly like rivers.

Below is an account of the tragic loss as narrated by Raphael Edem.

The beginning of friendship
“I met Major Erasmus in January this year. We were preparing for the annual ritual of the Armed Forces Remembrance Day. He was the 2/ic at the Brigade in Ibagwa and was coordinating the activities and introducing me to the nuances of military parades and traditions.
Friendly, welcoming, affable, very polite, ever-smiling and soft spoken. It was difficult to believe that this young man of about my age, with a baby face and an innocent, almost clerical demeanor was an army officer. I don’t think I have ever met a more friendly and gentlemanly officer!

We struck and instant bond and kept in touch after the ceremonies.

The very bitter story of one young and brilliant army Major Erasmus whose life was cut short in a Boko Haram attack, has been told by a friend who in shock cannot bear the news of his buddy’s demise.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Fallen Hero: Major Erasmus
According to the horrified friend named Raphael Edem, the sad news of Major Eramus’ demise, filtered in today, October 7.

READ ALSO: Boko Haram ambushes, kills another 6 in Borno

Edem, who is a media aide to Governor Udom Emmanuel, took to his Facebook wall to pour his heart out regarding the irreplaceable loss of his friend and a Nigerian hero in his own right.

According to Edems account, Major Erasmus was at one time the Second-in-Command at the Nigerian Army Brigade in Ibagwa, Abak Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom state, until he was posted to Maiduguri, some months ago, to join troops in the eye of the storm, where the Boko Haram war raged the most.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Erasmus unfortunately lost his live to the insurgents, having fought gallantly; leaving tears to flow endlessly like rivers.

“I met Major Erasmus in January this year. We were preparing for the annual ritual of the Armed Forces Remembrance Day. He was the 2/ic at the Brigade in Ibagwa and was coordinating the activities and introducing me to the nuances of military parades and traditions.

Friendly, welcoming, affable, very polite, ever-smiling and soft spoken. It was difficult to believe that this young man of about my age, with a baby face and an innocent, almost clerical demeanor was an army officer. I don’t think I have ever met a more friendly and gentlemanly officer!

Brilliant in mind and strong at heart

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Major Erasmus on a course abroad.
“He was very intelligent, well schooled within and outside the country where he shone like a millions stars, and going by the testimony of his colleagues that I got to meet at different times, he was an excellent officer who was very professional and good at his job.

He invited me to the tombola night at Ibagwa, and we kept in touch despite his frequent trips to Kaduna to finalize his Masters degree programme. Anybody who met him while not in uniform would be hard pressed to believe he was a military man, let alone an army officer.”

A hint of death
“He told me about his transfer to Maiduguri, but my apprehension about that posting was tempered by the Government’s assurances that Boko Haram had been routed in the North East. Erasmus assured me that we will get to see sometime soon.
Alas! That is not going to happen as I woke this morning to the tragic news that he had been killed by an ambush in Maiduguri. And that is how we have lost this young, fresh-faced, bachelor officer.”

Heroes forgotten
[i]“Today, the enormity of the task and sacrifices made by our armed forces stares me in he face. The career path they have chosen is something everyone should respect and appreciate.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Fallen Hero: Major Erasmus

READ ALSO: Boko Haram ambushes, kills another 6 in Borno

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Brilliant in mind and strong at heart

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Major Erasmus on a course abroad.
“He was very intelligent, well schooled within and outside the country where he shone like a millions stars, and going by the testimony of his colleagues that I got to meet at different times, he was an excellent officer who was very professional and good at his job.

He invited me to the tombola night at Ibagwa, and we kept in touch despite his frequent trips to Kaduna to finalize his Masters degree programme. Anybody who met him while not in uniform would be hard pressed to believe he was a military man, let alone an army officer.”

A hint of death

“He told me about his transfer to Maiduguri, but my apprehension about that posting was tempered by the Government’s assurances that Boko Haram had been routed in the North East. Erasmus assured me that we will get to see sometime soon.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Boko Haram ambushes Nigerian army, kills 8 soldiers

Alas! That is not going to happen as I woke this morning to the tragic news that he had been killed by an ambush in Maiduguri. And that is how we have lost this young, fresh-faced, bachelor officer.”

Heroes forgotten

“Today, the enormity of the task and sacrifices made by our armed forces stares me in he face. The career path they have chosen is something everyone should respect and appreciate.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Adieu Major Erasmus, Adieu my friend! Adieu officer and gentleman par excellence. The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained. May God rest your soul and may your ultimate sacrifice not be in vain!”

The war against Boko Haram has taken too much from Nigeria, so many young, brilliant and gallant soldiers have been lost in the course of this baseless war.

Like Raphael hinted, it is been Nigeria’s tradition to forget the efforts of our fallen heroes and we rarely get to properly reward those who are still living.

It is the prayer of Nigerians that the insurgency within the northeast comes to quick end, having lingered too long already. For the friends and family members of the late.[/b]

Re: Boko Haram: Friend Weeps As Young Major Is Killed In Ambush by MrOreo(m): 11:57am On Oct 09, 2016
RIP Major..... can't even shout FTC cry

(1) (Reply)

Vote My Potrait Drawing Of Peter Edochie (OKONKWOR) / Help!!! My Friend Has Been Missing For 10days Now. / Socratic Dictum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.